ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson Game Thread - 4pm Saturday ESPN+

Did you actually watch the game and are willing to use statistical data to refute how badly their center burned us from out in 3 point land and how many second half layups we allowed? C’mon now - sometimes what actually took place on the floor may not fit your statistical narrative, and yesterday was a prime example.
SGuy, can’t agree with you on this one. I think Mooney is a terrible in game manager. Never calls the right timeout, subs guys too early and doesn’t make adjustments.

But what’s more likely: (1) Mooney refused to try to make an adjustment to guard the center or (2) Quinn and Walz were slow to close and guard the same shot despite being told to do something different.

I’m guessing #2 but who knows.

Skogman definitely burned us, but we held the rest of the team to a combined 3-18 yesterday. Defense was good overall, Huffman ended up with 17 but didn't shoot great and really had to work to get there, rebounding was good, we never seemed to let them get comfortable running their offense.

Overall there's definitely plenty to work on (especially offensively) from yesterday, but it feels good to get the elusive conference road win

Sheesh, you’re Wrong. 14-4 and no bad loses and we’re in business. Win over Dayton would be HUGE there’s a path without it.
Don’t see it. If we beat Dayton, they’re out of the top 25 the following week. At the end of the season they see that we beat 1 fringe-ranked team and lost to every team we played in the power 5. We need to win the conference tourney, period.

Reactions: whampas
Don’t see it. If we beat Dayton, they’re out of the top 25 the following week. At the end of the season they see that we beat 1 fringe-ranked team and lost to every team we played in the power 5. We need to win the conference tourney, period.
It took James Madison 3 losses to drop out of the polls, you don’t think much of Richmond smh!

Skogman definitely burned us, but we held the rest of the team to a combined 3-18 yesterday. Defense was good overall, Huffman ended up with 17 but didn't shoot great and really had to work to get there, rebounding was good, we never seemed to let them get comfortable running their offense.

Overall there's definitely plenty to work on (especially offensively) from yesterday, but it feels good to get the elusive conference road win
Huffman is a very annoying player. His body language makes me dislike him.

Skogman hit 5 of 8 from 3 point land beyond the foul line and uncontested. If we’d have actually covered him, we’d have never gone into overtime. Instead we gave him 15 points. That’s a stat you should think about. I’m telling you - if we don’t adapt on that vs Dayton, we’ll get burned worse. I doubt Anthony Grant cares about our stats.
Yes, he went 5-8....and the rest of their team went 3-18. You can't always take everything away from a team.

Skogman has the worst shooting form I have ever seen, but if they go in, they go in I guess.

It took James Madison 3 losses to drop out of the polls, you don’t think much of Richmond smh!
Incorrect, I had high expectations this season and I think we are currently playing great. However, our schedule has not done us any favors. True, Florida is having an unusually down year, but other than Colorado there are no teams that you’d expect to be ranked at the beginning of the season. Wichita State and Northern Iowa are decent teams, but if we expect to go to the tournament, some of those games (add Florida and Boston College) had to go our way. Where are the upsets?

Last edited:
I saw Huffman play at URI - I think two years ago - was not impressed. Seemed slow for a guard, didn't do much but lil mckill played him big minutes. Not sure the fascination.
Sort of feel the same way about Bobby Durkin after seeing him live .. slower than I expected and while I still think he will have a good A10 career - not sure he will be a 1st or 2nd A10 player - we'll see.

They specifically mentioned him putting the ball on the floor when he did that early in the game. I think the book is out on him as a catch and shoot guy so they’re already talking about the next step in his development. Clearly UR gave him very little room off the catch.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Sort of feel the same way about Bobby Durkin after seeing him live .. slower than I expected and while I still think he will have a good A10 career - not sure he will be a 1st or 2nd A10 player - we'll see.

Hard to say but 10/4/1 and shooting 40% from 3 as a freshman thru 18 games is really really good

I saw Huffman play at URI - I think two years ago - was not impressed. Seemed slow for a guard, didn't do much but lil mckill played him big minutes. Not sure the fascination.
The "fascination" is that they probably don't have anyone better. The fact that Huffman is the leading minutes guy on Davidson is kind of an indictment on their personnel. To me, he is a good role player, maybe you start him off guard if you have a stud PG. Not surprising that they are 1-4 in conference.

Said the same thing about us last year running out Grace and Goose as starters. Those guys were good bench players but if you are going to plug them into your starting line-up, you are pretty much destined to finish in the bottom half of the league, which is where Davidson likely ends up at the end of this year.

The "fascination" is that they probably don't have anyone better. The fact that Huffman is the leading minutes guy on Davidson is kind of an indictment on their personnel. To me, he is a good role player, maybe you start him off guard if you have a stud PG. Not surprising that they are 1-4 in conference.

Said the same thing about us last year running out Grace and Goose as starters. Those guys were good bench players but if you are going to plug them into your starting line-up, you are pretty much destined to finish in the bottom half of the league, which is where Davidson likely ends up at the end of this year.
Spot on!

I think he's a good player being underappreciated here because he looks like a guy from 90210.
dude's averaging 13, 5 and 5. he can play.

I think he's a good player being underappreciated here because he looks like a guy from 90210.
First of all, true on the first statement. Secondly, He's playing 33 minutes per game as their primary ball handler, he'd better have some type of stat line with all of those minutes.

Question: Do you start him over King or Hunt, if he was here?

First of all, true on the first statement. Secondly, He's playing 33 minutes per game as their primary ball handler, he'd better have some type of stat line with all of those minutes.

He would come off the bench!

Call it the Goose effect. I'm not comparing players, I don't know much about Huffman honestly and he's obviously more of an offensive player. But same thing has happened w Goose and other players here, and common elsewhere too.

King ... no, I don't start many guys over King.
Hunt ... I don't know. would have to see Huffman's defense more. 13, 5 and 5 is legit though. I'm not writing that off because of mpg. he doesn't play much more than Delonnie.

just saying he can clearly play. yes, I'd take him here.

He had some nice downhill drives the last 6+ minutes, I thought, against some of our best defenders. Guys who can do that and finish have a role on a lot of teams, ours included.

Also, I just looked it up bc I was wondering but I hadn't realized that Sam Mennenga, the Davidson forward from New Zealand, passed up his senior year to go pro in NZ. I thought he had another year and was wondering where he was.

King ... no, I don't start many guys over King.
Hunt ... I don't know. would have to see Huffman's defense more. 13, 5 and 5 is legit though. I'm not writing that off because of mpg. he doesn't play much more than Delonnie.

just saying he can clearly play. yes, I'd take him here.
Fair. My point is he is the biggest minute guy on the team one and ergo of the focal points of their team, so yeah all that being equal, you have to put up some numbers.

If King wasn't hear and Delonnie was running the show with say Goose as our other guard, he would put up similar probably larger scorer numbers than Huffman. If J-Nel came back and we didn't bring in King/Hunt, he probably is putting up similar numbers, we would be a .500 team aiming for a slot in pillow fight on the first day of the A-10 tournament if J-Nel was our starting PG and we didn't have King/Hunt. Just as Davidson will most likely be this year.

Your 90210 reference is spot on though. Major Luke Perry vibes.

I assume Delonnie had a big role at Wagner. he never put up Huffman numbers.

I just think Huffman is underrated ... probably because of his look. he got to the rim against some of our best defenders, including DLo. so he's a pretty good athlete. not a shooter though.

I assume Delonnie had a big role at Wagner. he never put up Huffman numbers.

I just think Huffman is underrated ... probably because of his look. he got to the rim against some of our best defenders, including DLo. so he's a pretty good athlete. not a shooter though.

23/4/5 from Huffman tonight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT