ADVERTISEMENT

Coppin State Game Thread

I would take 5 more Roche three point attempts per game, and 2 fewer Bigelow attempts from deep, for a net of +3 per game.

And I defy anyone to disagree.

Does the other team play defense? Do we think they don't know he can shoot? I would rather have 8 good shots than 13 with 4 or 5 forced? There may have been 1 or 2 that he passed up, but they definitely ran a few plays for him-specifically the first 3-which was off an inbound play.

They play defense on Quinn too, often with two people. But that hasn't stopped the posters on this thread from confidently concluding that Quinn just needs to snap his fingers and be more aggressive and bully his way to the basket.

Roche has displayed terrific shot selection, and I can't think of a single shot he's forced. I think we can find 5 more occasions in a game where we are specifically looking for him and get him an open to semi-open shot. We may be saying the same thing here--we can be more deliberate in finding Roche some offense where the shot doesn't have to be forced.

Outside of the Clemson and Toledo games, we lose close games and have complete blowouts when we win.
It has been nice to see more comfortable wins this year, but in most cases it has been directly related to the quality of the opponent. The W&M and Wichita St games were “shocking” losses albeit “close” and the Drake game was a “shocking” win.
Our coach historically has done a good job of improving the performance of the team as the season goes on by modifying player's playing time and what they do on the court. I think we will see a lot more productivity from Quinn and Roche during A10 play and less shooting from Bigelow with a greater focus on defense and rebounding.
Interesting statement, BUT there has already been a decent reduction in shots by Bigelow in the last month. He is basically taking 6 shots a game. His higher volume games were when Matt Grace was out. I think Mooney has already instructed Bigelow on what he wants him to do and I would agree that his instructions are defense and rebounding. I hadn’t noticed any changes regarding Roche until last night. Hopefully that continues.
Nelson held his turnovers down which I like to see but he and Bigelow shot poorly again. If these 2 are going to continue taking the second and third most shots on the team we really need them to start shooting better.
As stated above Bigelow is actually been taking less shots than his season average over the last month, so Mooney seems to already be tempering him. Nelson on the other hand is at or above his average attempts, so his performance does impact the team more. Nelson had a much better shooting percentage at home until last night when he was horrendous. Fortunately it did not matter.
Flyder…thank you for your service here. You’re up for the George Mason thread New Years Eve
GMU will be the real test of the “thread starter streak”. If it were just that easy….

Coppin State #24 from Sydney, Australia enjoyed dishing out two armed moving blocks that the refs ignored in the first half. During the half time both the Coppin State coach and the assistant gave him demostrated ways to defend that were legal. Don't recall another opponent that was so blatant causing several of our players to stumble backwards because the contact was so hard.
He took his rollerskate shoes off at halftime.

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
I think Bigelow has had less shot attempts lately because he hasn't played as much as he had been playing. It doesn't look like he has been told to shoot less. He has 4 games of 11+ shots, all coming in his first 7 games, and played 34, 30, 29, and 28 minutes those games. His last 5 games, he has averaged less than 18 minutes a game, so his shot attempts have been down as a result.

Agree with above, time for Bigelow is down. I actually don’t love that, my sense is the Quinn/Grace pairing isn’t ideal and I’d rather see either of them paired with Bigelow or go smaller with another shooter.

No real data to support that but Matt feels like a bit outside his game when he’s not the pivot. He can make outside shots but is only taking 6th most on the team and 8th most adjusted per 40 minutes. I think Bigelow while shooting poorer from both 2 and 3 than Matt brings better defense and rebounding and isn’t afraid to shoot the 3 (maybe a bad thing at his make rate).

As I noted earlier this season, a prime Big and prime Burton is our highest ceiling team. While I realize Bigs has not shot super, we need him playing at his best 30 minutes a game to compete for an A10 championship.
I don't know if this is a thing to bank on. Bigs is an incredibly streaky shooter from what the OOC has shown. Thinking you'd get 3 or 4 of those hot games in a row from Bigs is pretty wishful based on the evidence. If he starts focusing on slashing more and can get 5+ shots off those each game if jumper isn't falling (and thus get to the line more frequently), I'd be more hopeful of consistent performances.

I agree that him playing well is our biggest upside - his athleticism and length is great for switching defenses and adding an element that otherwise only Tyler has, and allows Grace and Quinn to be an interior pair based upon who is playing best, while also allowing varied looks (defensive press, potentially 5 out on offense, etc.)

I think Bigelow has had less shot attempts lately because he hasn't played as much as he had been playing. It doesn't look like he has been told to shoot less. He has 4 games of 11+ shots, all coming in his first 7 games, and played 34, 30, 29, and 28 minutes those games. His last 5 games, he has averaged less than 18 minutes a game, so his shot attempts have been down as a result.
One way to reduce shots is to put the player on the bench more. I know that many on the Forum would like to see Big more, but that does not seem to be what Mooney thinks is best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT