ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson 1/14 Official Game Thread

You can argue all you want about Davidson winning this game because they shot the lights out from three. When you get out rebounded by 17 you’re not gonna beat many teams. How many of those threes and especially key buckets were off of offensive rebounds for Davidson? Too many. Davidson isn’t even a good rebounding team to make matters worse. I don’t know how many times I’ve said this but I’ll keep beating this dead horse: this team is a reflection of its coach, soft.

Last edited:
It was a great college basketball game. None of these games will be easy.
Weren’t we projected to b 2nd in conference. If so, you’d think some of these games would b easy. Care to explain why not? Underachieving comes to mind.

Davidson always reminds me of a better version of us (or what we aspire to be). I agree with the comment above about how, this game by itself, was a great game to watch. This game, in the context of this season, was yet another case of shaking my head.

Gilly came to play. Glad he found his shot. Sherrod and Goose too. The others, not so much.

He's really been bad in clutch time this year. Two missed threes in the last 90 seconds, that ridiculous pass into the third row earlier. The missed shot from like five feet down the stretch.
In GG's defense, our offense becomes stagnant in cruch time. We seem to end up standing around, not cutting, and just passing it around the perimeter. This causes us to shoot a 3 as the shot clock dwindles. GG is not who we want shooting those shots. Agree though, the missed layup did hurt. Not sure how to explain getting absolutely destroyed on the boards other than its a trademark of CM teams. The players change, but the CM rebounding remains constant.

So sick of watching grant play. He cares more about his hair than his basketball. Why are they even playing at this point? They came back to have the greatest season in history and we get this. Let the young guys build for the future.

This thought has crossed my mind several times all year. Remove the super-friends from the equation and would we really have that much worse of a record than we do right now? Probably not. And the experience gained this season would have paid huge dividends in the seasons to come. But no, here we are fighting for an NIT berth with the greatest class ever on their 5th and 6th go-rounds.

I was reading on the RTD a few weeks back about the guy whose jersey is being retired at a VCU game sometime this season. He was there four seasons and made four trips to the NCAA's.

Something is seriously wrong here and it will take drastic action to remediate that.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Just watched the replay. Worst part is they had me believing… Gilyard was his assertive self, Sherrod was feeling it, defense was aggressive, and then all of a sudden last 4 minutes we tightened up.

Then they had me believing again with Burton’s 3 and then the steal to tie it up…

Hopefully we can turn it around, but that type of loss can be soul crushing.

In the presser Mooney & the media were talking about how the endgame by Spiders was so good. Wtf is going on r these ppl drug tested. Last 30 seconds isn’t just the end game. We were bad the prior 4 mins & got us into that situation.

Also is young Noah retired from the ur hoops beat?

My take- Golden should not be taking 3 point shots at key points in the game. Instead he should have looked for a better shot and been patient. We lost the lead. Davidson took those openings, scored, and took the lead. Golden is the 4th leading scorer in UR history. He should know better. Golden went 0-4 from three. Golden also had 3 turnovers.

Maybe don't get down 16-2 on your home court for like the fourth time this year, and we wouldn't have to fight for the entire game to get back in control. There are so many things to dislike about this team.
The way we played at the start of the second half is the way we need to play all game - pressure, playing quick, make the other team uncomfortable. And we have enough bodies on a 20 man roster to play that way … yet, we do the same thing we have done for 17 years, get locked into a lineup, run out of gas, and fold during the time games are won.

Also, it looked like our guys were gassed at the end. We should have subbed Grace for Golden for a couple of minutes, towards the end. I liked that we switched Goose for Wilson. That gave us better defense.

The way we played at the start of the second half is the way we need to play all game - pressure, playing quick, make the other team uncomfortable. And we have enough bodies on a 20 man roster to play that way … yet, we do the same thing we have done for 17 years, get locked into a lineup, run out of gas, and fold during the time games are won.
Correct. We should have subbed fresh bodies. When we subbed next year`s team in the 2nd half, we actually pulled away and got the lead. I think we had Goose, Grace, Wilson, and Crabtree in. When he took them out, put in the starters, we lost the momentum.

Reactions: SpiderRick
How come Golden doesn’t just go up and jam that ball home on the missed layup play? You’re 6’10 and can’t do that? I swear mooney doesn’t like his guys dunking the ball because we never see it. Once again; soft.

Admittedly we match up well in size and style with Davidson, but if we could show the same effort we showed for most of the game against other opponents it would be a different season.

Starting slow is happening over and over, ridiculous

the first inbounds play in the final minutes with Golden taking a three was idiotic.

mcKillop is the coach we should have Mooney is not

How come Golden doesn’t just go up and jam that ball home on the missed layup play? You’re 6’10 and can’t do that? I swear mooney doesn’t like his guys dunking the ball because we never see it. Once again; soft.
There is an old saying about Sunday's paper and jumping.

• Haha
Just so many moments in this game that I wish we had back. Burton going after the rebound when Davidson missed instead of letting it go out of play. Golden missing wide open layup. Don't remember who, but we got an offensive board on a missed FT and then we did some stupid shit. I'm just not sure why I continue to do this to myself. The definition of insanity I suppose.

Also is young Noah retired from the ur hoops beat?
He is reporting some just a greatly diminished amount. His old SpiderScoop is on ESPN 106.1 in Richmond about an hour before tip for some of the games. I think he also does Twitter posting when he is watching games. I believe it is preparing for Law School that now has his full attention. He was wise enough to realize that focusing on his career is more fruitful than spending more time on the Mooney train.

Every game like this comes down to a few stupid plays or missed opportunities, and we almost always seem to be on the wrong end of them.

Golden to me is more a stat compiler than a dominant player. He had some impressive numbers because he's played six years. He can dominate against small teams, but in key matchups against good or big teams, he misses a lot of shots, forces passes, has too many turnovers and generally is a liability.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Other than the obvious fact that UR needs a new coach, this loss is just like every other loss where the Spiders needed one more player to play well. Rebounding is always a problem, but typically the issue is bigger, stronger opponents. That isn’t the case with Davidson. Grant has played poorly in the second half of a number of games and his lack of rebounding and missing layups killed the team. Typically Burton fills in the gaps on rebounding and he had a terrible game as well. I think he showed why he isn’t ready for the next level. He needs to be tougher mentally. No doubt the hype about NBA scouts being in the building got in his head. Matt Grace also had 0s for contributions. One would have thought his recent stronger efforts would have translated to something positive.

On the positive side, the sophomore Gilly was back and it was obvious he was ready to play. Also nice to see Nick have a good outing on his Super Senior night, the latest genius idea by the Marketing team. Goose also continued to show that he is getting back in game shape, although his rumored improved 3 pt shot did not make an appearance.

Definitely looks like Spider fans are getting “Groundhog Day” versus the storybook ending for the Super Seniors.

You can argue all you want about Davidson winning this game because they shot the lights out from three. When you get out rebounded by 17 you’re not gonna beat many teams. How many of those threes and especially key buckets were off of offensive rebounds for Davidson? Too many. Davidson isn’t even a good rebounding team to make matters worse. I don’t know how many times I’ve said this but I’ll keep beating this dead horse: this team is a reflection of its coach, soft.
Rebounds just not important in Mooney World. Years & years of stats reflect this. It's one thing to have an overly aggressive team like ODU grab 20 offensive rebounds against us, but a finesse team like Davidson...come on now. Way too many second & third chance attempts by Davidson down the stretch.

And we're going to see this many more times this year & until Mooney is gone. Somebody tell Mooney his soft approach to rebounding = failure.

So predictable. And our opponents know this & exploit it.

In GG's defense, our offense becomes stagnant in cruch time. We seem to end up standing around, not cutting, and just passing it around the perimeter. This causes us to shoot a 3 as the shot clock dwindles. GG is not who we want shooting those shots. Agree though, the missed layup did hurt. Not sure how to explain getting absolutely destroyed on the boards other than its a trademark of CM teams. The players change, but the CM rebounding remains constant.
Rebounding is "want to". Tarrant used to say "he who wants it, gets it." I want the guy with the bloody nose at games end on my team. I've seen enough of this soft pretty basketball. On the football board it was great to hear Billy Cosh talk at length about valuing the ball and building his offense around that concept. Mooney could take a lesson. What am I missing? If you have the ball you can score and they can't. What a concept. Mooney needs to go.

Rebounds just not important in Mooney World. Years & years of stats reflect this. It's one thing to have an overly aggressive team like ODU grab 20 offensive rebounds against us, but a finesse team like Davidson...come on now. Way too many second & third chance attempts by Davidson down the stretch.

And we're going to see this many more times this year & until Mooney is gone. Somebody tell Mooney his soft approach to rebounding = failure.

So predictable. And our opponents know this & exploit it.

their PG was their smallest guy on the court and he grabbed 7-8 rebounds all by himself

Correct. We should have subbed fresh bodies. When we subbed next year`s team in the 2nd half, we actually pulled away and got the lead. I think we had Goose, Grace, Wilson, and Crabtree in. When he took them out, put in the starters, we lost the momentum.

no way we had that lineup in. We run bad lineups out there but lord that’s a terrible one. Crabtree didn’t even play in 2nd half after handing the ball off to Davidson like a RPO a couple times in 1st. Grace was in late w under 4 to go. So I don’t think Gg was gassed.

u r right about Goose Wilson change tho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT