ADVERTISEMENT

Bucknell Thread

Bucknell coach could use "anger management" after he went on his 3 to 4 minute yelling tirade. The ref was very tolerant overlooking his profanity.................
I agree. Rice is a dirty foul mouth little player too. Burton just looked at him and laughed in his face with a couple minutes to go.

Also not a good look: Davis's seven-month-pregnant belly. But I digress..

Decent sized crowd last night, but not a ton of energy in the building throughout. Goose's dunk was really impressive. Got my Rusty Taco coupon for the first time ever on the way out. Amazing!

One thing I do not understand about our defense: I know Mooney stacks as many guys as possible on the ball side and willingly lets one shooter be open on the other side of the court, but damn man, when that one guy consistently is able to get the ball and take (and usually make) wide-open threes, something ain't working.

Either we need to play that defense more effectively, or we need to switch to a better defense. Most teams will make more than 50% of wide-open threes like that, and last night it allowed Bucknell to stay within striking distance when they really shouldn't have.
That’s why we are always in the Flying Dutchman “hope he misses” defense.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The Goose was loose with that slam! Was that his first dunk as a Spider? I can’t remember any previously, he’s usually got the nice finish on layups but don’t remember any dunks previously.
In the A10 tournament last year he had a dunk on a give and go from Grant if I remember right. Goos has some hops in him.

Reactions: Eight Legger
In the A10 tournament last year he had a dunk on a give and go from Grant if I remember right. Goos has some hops in him.
Can't find any evidence of that. He only made two 2-point shots in the whole tournament (both against VCU) and they were both unassisted jumpers. (Was also fouled on one of them, but he missed the FT.)

The coolest thing about a Goose dunk, Goose scoring, good defensive play, or being introduced at the beginning of the game or going back into the game is the fact that in the stands we get to yell "GOOOOOSSSSSEEEE" - getting my grandsons into that dynamic!

Burton and Grace had great games. It was really good to see Grace's confidence and stroke from 3 return, that is important. Other observation is Nelson, I thought he had a really solid game, but think he probably could have scored twice as many as he did, if he just finished when he got himself into the paint, instead of looking to pass out.

Defense in the second half was suspect. As someone noted, we overstack at times when the balls goes to one side of the court, making us vulnerable to quick passes to other side and then we are out of position trying to scramble to cover it. I don't understand the philosophy, the defender who is responsible for the other side really doesn't serve a function when they hedge that far over. Just stay on your man. Strikes me as Mooney trying to be too cute/smart when in reality, just let our guys play defense which is their strength.

One common word from several posts in this thread is “aggressive”. I’ve always felt we play better when the guys play aggressively as opposed to playing methodically and running the offensive down to less than 10 seconds. We have enough athletes to push it harder, and it seems to me the players respond better when they play aggressively.

Can't find any evidence of that. He only made two 2-point shots in the whole tournament (both against VCU) and they were both unassisted jumpers. (Was also fouled on one of them, but he missed the FT.)
I was not sure when last year but remembered him dunking.

. This happened during his sophomore season: 12/8 at South Alabama - Scored a season-high 10 points, the third straight game he’s increased his season high ... Brought Robins Center crowd to its feet twice in second half on a two-handed dunk in traffic and an alley-oop from Jacob Gilyard ...

I am old to remember when most of the posters on this board thought Blake shot too much.

If you have chance to watch SF's link, please watch the passing and notice two things. 1.) we were spoiled for JG, GG etc and their passing ability for 5 years. 2.) Notice the passes thrown are rarely in the wrong spot--Ie right in the perfect spot for a shot, another pass, etc.

This year's team, too many passes are slightly off-spoils the timing of a quick shot, the next pass, etc. Bucky game was probably one of the top 2 this year of passes on target.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Plydogg three sheets to the wind during all Goose dunks??
I’ve never heard that expression before.

Looked it up - could be the case, I haven’t found drinking during Spider games to be enjoyable in years. Sometimes I make an exception though…like the Clemson beatdown. A Goose dunk is worthy of a drink though, maybe I celebrated them and then forgot what I was celebrating

Last edited:

Looked it up - could be the case, I haven’t found drinking during Spider games to be enjoyable in years. Sometimes I make an exception though…like the Clemson beatdown. A Goose dunk is worthy of a drink though, maybe I celebrated them and then forgot what I was celebrating
Great expression. A navy guy like spider fan could probably explain derivation.

It is a favorite of my mother’s…so u ask your grandmother lol. No google cheating should have been allowed.

Reactions: spider fan
Great expression. A navy guy like spider fan could probably explain derivation.

It is a favorite of my mother’s…so u ask your grandmother lol. No google cheating should have been allowed.
Haha, I was just wondering if Ply knew that one, my wife was throwing out a lot of expressions like that one to my kids, and they probably had hear about one in five. I wish I was young enough to not know them :)

I still say...

Celebrate Goose's hops with some hops...

Yeah, not exactly the company we want to keep. But on the positive side, it was our last game before Christmas and we didn't lose it. That's a positive step.

Reactions: spider fan
Thanks GKiller for the "prod" - learned it from my dad and here is as good an explanation as any from Google:

To be “three sheets to the wind” is to be drunk. The sheet is the line that controls the sails on a ship. If the line is not secured, the sail flops in the wind, and the ship loses headway and control. If all three sails are loose, the ship is out of control.

Also some references refer to windmill sheets but the same principle...............

My dad used the expression often when someone was talking nonsense.............or was giving yours truly a "warning"................

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT