ADVERTISEMENT

Positives of Utah State game

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
This was a very disappointing loss and a number of people have made very good comments on why we lost, which I will not repeat. I would like to focus on the positives and get us fired up for our next game. These include:

1. Utah State only counts as one loss. Yes it was painful to watch and very disappointing, but it was only one game and the lessons learned will hopefully be used to enhance the quality of play going forward.

2. 2 of our starters are off to all-conference seasons

A. Grant is playing the best basketball of his career. This was the 2nd game in row that he has played terrific. The weight loss has made him an elite player.

B. Gilyard is a super star and is beginning to make his 3s (4-7). If he keeps this up, he will be one of the top guards in the country.

3. 2 other starters have the potential to be one of the best at their position in the conference.

A. Tyler Burton has been playing pretty well, especially his new and improved 3 point shooting, which gives a new dimension to his game. He had some difficulty scoring from 2 point range in the last game, but I think he will fix that and have a breakout year.

B. Cayo is starting off the season a little slow, but we all know he is a very good player and will have a number of breakout games.

4. We have one of the top benches our team has had in a long time and I would like to point out 3 players I thought did a good job in the last game

A. Crabtree in 14 minutes was 3-6 (6 points) and 4 rebounds and a steel. He started as a freshman for Tulane and I expect his minutes to go up a lot throughout the season.

B. Grace in 14 minutes was 2-3 with 3 rebounds. He has evolved beyond just a solid back up to Grant

C. Bailey only play 6 minutes, but had 2 rebounds and made his only shot.

I like all the players on the team. There is a lot to be opportunistic about.

This was a very disappointing loss and a number of people have made very good comments on why we lost, which I will not repeat. I would like to focus on the positives and get us fired up for our next game. These include:

1. Utah State only counts as one loss. Yes it was painful to watch and very disappointing, but it was only one game and the lessons learned will hopefully be used to enhance the quality of play going forward.

A. Grant is playing the best basketball of his career. This was the 2nd game in row that he has played terrific. The weight loss has made him an elite player.

B. Gilyard is a super star and is beginning to make his 3s (4-7). If he keeps this up, he will be one of the top guards in the country.

3. 2 other starters have the potential to be one of the best at their position in the conference.

A. Tyler Burton has been playing pretty well, especially his new and improved 3 point shooting, which gives a new dimension to his game. He had some difficulty scoring from 2 point range in the last game, but I think he will fix that and have a breakout year.

B. Cayo is starting off the season a little slow, but we all know he is a very good player and will have a number of breakout games.

4. We have one of the top benches our team has had in a long time and I would like to point out 3 players I thought did a good job in the last game

A. Crabtree in 14 minutes was 3-6 (6 points) and 4 rebounds and a steel. He started as a freshman for Tulane and I expect his minutes to go up a lot throughout the season.

B. Grace in 14 minutes was 2-3 with 3 rebounds. He has evolved beyond just a solid back up to Grant

Well said and agree on all counts.

All these positive, yet we still loss? That doesn’t bode for a very bright future. The players better step up a great season happens game by game

Disagree with Crabtree minutes going up. For that to happen - you will need to Sherod on the bench, and I don't see Mooney favoring the transfer from Tulane over Sherod. I think Crabtree at 15 minutes is what your going to see most nights. I think he can be effective in those 15 minutes - but don't see him playing more than that consistently.

Grant on offense - looking good. On defense - same old story. Great that he scores 24 points - but he is giving up 24 on the other end as well. With Grace behind him, and I think I would tell Grant - be aggressive on Defense, don't worry about fouls. We can sit you if needed because of fouls - we have a bench to do it now.

Well it is true our remedial coaching & leadership get lots of lessons. Not sure they ever learn anything.

Reactions: Zeeter
Sorry but for me the only relevant aspect of the game was it being a LOSS! So what further education do these players need who I would equate to having earned their PhD's in basketball.

So two players off to all conferences seasons. Where would we be if not for that? 0-2.

Look UR80, you could wrote a book about positives from that game but for me Mooney as a negative outweighs itI I still can't comprehend the performances from these first two games.

Aren't Jacob and GG the leaders of this team? Roommates I beileve too? WTH, let them two coach. I could see Gilly saying to himself, I'm winded, I need a couple minutes break. I too like all the players from every Spider team!

I know some here know Buddy Ryan from his Eagle days. A person who would never be considered to coach anything at UR with his say, lack of etiquette Quote of his after he cut a player who he raved about all his great personal traits he possessed when press asked him why he cut the player?

"I love the kid like a son, I just wouldn't want my son playing football for me." Chris Mooney when looking at everything he has accomplished and the way he has gone about it after losing his mother at such a young age, I highly commend.

Just after throughly going over his resume as UR b-ball coach, HE SHOULD NOT BE THE SPIDER COACH NEXT YEAR. And I believe that even if they make the tourney.

Think about it, does anyone want him in charge of leading a new young group of players with regards to basketball? I mean the Game of Life yes. Problem is he's getting paid handsomely to coach b-ball and not enough ROI for me!

Just after throughly going over his resume as UR b-ball coach, HE SHOULD NOT BE THE SPIDER COACH NEXT YEAR. And I believe that even if they make the tourney.

This is something that has been on my mind, if he does somehow sneak into the NCAA's how many years of unwarranted job security is that going to buy him.

Reactions: Eight Legger
This is something that has been on my mind, if he does somehow sneak into the NCAA's how many years of unwarranted job security is that going to buy him.
Chris will tell us when he's leaving. Honestly 8legs was telling myself to go all in for this team no matter what but the big picture says hope the team doesn't make the Dance

Okay, I'm letting down these players but Mooney has let down plenty others so unfortunately guys like Jacob, GG, Nick can join them with this personal sacrifice.

After the first two games WTF. Don't know exact numbers but is this group the most experienced college team ever to return?

Look I got up to prepare for NFL and my juices are flowing with this team and more so with coach.

80s - Thanks for staying positive. It is very early in the year and of course the will be plenty of discussion now that the team is playing again.

I think most of the Forum likes all the players on the team, but obviously liking them has nothing to do with winning. The job of the coach is to get the most out of his players and to put them in a position to win. With the lackluster start, the ability of CM is once again being called into question.

I know I was hoping to see a start showing that the team had the “we have something to prove” attitude of 2 years ago. Unfortunately, it has not materialized to this point. But I have heard some statements from the team leaders that suggests they know that they need to increase the “want to” on D. Whether that happens or not is still unknown, but the Spiders will have a chance to show us on Tuesday. Hopefully they learned last year that you have to earn wins, it takes effort on both ends of the floor, and there is no award for just showing up.

Go Spiders!

Basketball is a team sport and while I'm happy that Gilly and Grant will again most likely make an all A-10 team, that is an individual achievement. It would be the utmost of irony if Grant is the only player in A-10 history to make 5 all A-10 teams and yet be on a team that never won the A-10 or made an NCAA tournament.

It would be the utmost of irony if Grant is the only player in A-10 history to make 5 all A-10 teams and yet be on a team that never won the A-10 or made an NCAA tournament.
no A10 title, no appearances in an A10 title game, only one appearance in an A10 semifinal game (his medical redshirt year 2017, lost to VCU natch) and has watched every NCAA tourney from the couch or the stands like any of us

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT