ADVERTISEMENT

Buffalo Game thread - 7pm Thursday MASN/ESPN+

I would think they will be more focused on developing a couple of the freshman than the winning margin, but still think we will by at least 15.

Reactions: urfan1 and fan2011
a couple of Buffalo roster notes:

they're led by former Spider target and message board favorite Sy Chatman who is averaging 16 and 7. Sy played 2 years at UMass then transferred to Illinois State in 2020-21 where he played 5 games before opting out of the Covid season. he played 20 games in 2021-22 at Illinois St before tearing his ACL. he sat out 2022-23 recovering. he's certainly bouncing back this year.

also of note, freshman starter Anquan Bolden Jr is son of NFL hall of famer, Anquan Bolden.

a couple of Buffalo roster notes:

they're led by former Spider target and message board favorite Sy Chatman who is averaging 16 and 7. Sy played 2 years at UMass then transferred to Illinois State in 2020-21 where he played 5 games before opting out of the Covid season. he played 20 games in 2021-22 at Illinois St before tearing his ACL. he sat out 2022-23 recovering. he's certainly bouncing back this year.

also of note, freshman starter Anquan Bolden Jr is son of NFL hall of famer, Anquan Bolden.

Blast from the past. But Chatman was a Spider23 guy iirc. I own Bobby Durkin & will for 4 years. I still rue missing our guy who went to Tulsa. Not talking Reed but it was from the Beilein era I think - help me out with his name spiderman.

I kinda like Buffalo. I stayed in same hotel earlier this year with their football team. Pretty friendly guys. It will never top getting same hotel as Iowa the night b4 we beat them in March 2022 tho. That can’t be beat!

lol, Jarius Glenn! no idea why I remember him.

Bang!

Back to Iowa for a sec…got to share a little anecdote…first guy I see is Iowa asst Sherman Dillard. I’m like hey Sherm I remember u from JMU days (coaching). Ok I didn’t call him Sherm. Anyway he gets excited look on his face presumably thinking I went there. I say yeah I went to Richmond. The look on his face turns decidedly less excited. It was hilarious. He pauses then tells me Dick Tarrant heavily recruited him - idk must have been when DT was the asst coach - and that he almost went to UR.

Blast from the past. But Chatman was a Spider23 guy iirc. I own Bobby Durkin & will for 4 years. I still rue missing our guy who went to Tulsa. Not talking Reed but it was from the Beilein era I think - help me out with his name spiderman.

I kinda like Buffalo. I stayed in same hotel earlier this year with their football team. Pretty friendly guys. It will never top getting same hotel as Iowa the night b4 we beat them in March 2022 tho. That can’t be beat!
In Buffalo, my group stayed at the UConn hotel and the night following the Iowa game three generations of a very sad Hurley family had breakfast near us ... they had a bit of a better March a year later however.

Go Spiders! Be careful today. Don't go to Christmas break too early. It would ruin your Christmas and mine!

Buffalo hasn't been winning, but they haven't been completely slaughtered every time either. Losing by roughly 15 a game. Lost to Butler by only 13. Don't take any chances. Step on the gas!

Yes, mr. spider, was just checking scores for my SSB bets, and noticed that Buffalo not getting beat as bad as you would think considering their kenpom 333 rating.
When you say Buffalo has only been getting beaten by 15 (which I think is a large number), you also have to take into account difficulty of opponent. Buffalo has played 1 BCS team (Butler) and that was one of their closest losses of 13. They've gotten beaten by 25 by Iona, by 34 by Hofstra, by 14 to South Alabama, 17 to Western Kentucky. So, it's not like Buffalo is out playing murderers row of Top 25 teams, they are getting regularly shit canned by average mid-major type programs, lol, which is kind of us as well.

• Haha
Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
Yeah. We should be able to win this, but this is the kind of game before a break that gives us trouble. I think this team is different, but I hope the history of this sort of game has been drilled into them.

15 is a large enough margin, but it is the kind of margin that can be overcome if the other team is not all in. A couple possessions away from being closer than comfortable. And margin makes a difference in the standings. So stomp 'em Spiders!

I wouldn't touch that line 23. It came in right where I thought it would be. We should win by 15 plus, but a couple garbage time buckets either way could kill this bet. Plus if we are up big and empty the bench, we saw how well the end of our bench did in prior games, so that may enable a back door cover.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
Now Mr. Kenpom and 97 have me thinking of laying it with the Spiders. Which has been burning me. So stay away. Hoping we want to go into the break with a big win.
We will be up by 25 late, put in the bench and end up winning by 15.

Reactions: spider23
Spiders not exactly stomping on the Bulls’ throats, but hopefully we can just steadily pull away.

Only one total foul called with under four to go in half?

Reactions: urfan1
Can’t complain about a double digit lead at the half. Quinn getting whatever he wants as the Spiders are taking it to the Bulls rather than relying on the outside shot.

Cringed at the D giving up some more wide open shots from deep, but when they’re only 5-for-21 I guess we can live with it.

Reactions: urfan1
Two really really bad teams playing tonight in the RC. Bailey, Bigelow and Quinn are the only ones that showed up. The rest went home for Christmas already. Tyne and Harris bring absolutely nothing, and Mooney has totally broken Noyes and Roche. It’s going to be a long ugly A-10 season having to win the tournament from the 16th position.

Two really really bad teams playing tonight in the RC. Bailey, Bigelow and Quinn are the only ones that showed up. The rest went home for Christmas already. Tyne and Harris bring absolutely nothing, and Mooney has totally broken Noyes and Roche. It’s going to be a long ugly A-10 season having to win the tournament from the 16th position.
Thx SpiderScrooge … good game until the last 7 minutes

Missed the game. Looks like Dji putting up solid numbers all around as a starter.

Bench really didn't contribute much at all, other than Walz. Got the W. Lafayette got spanked by Quinnipiac. Hopefully we don't get too rusty with the time off. Scrooge K, I'm ready to I send out a search party for Roche and Noyes.

Reactions: plydogg and SpiderK
Does 82 total rebounds for the game seem like. a lot?

Their guy #3 Adams was the difference maker for them. His first game since the ruling to make guys eligible.
Not sure what you mean here, Buffalo looked horrible most of the game and was down 20 with 6 minutes left. If UR didn't check out of the endgame on offense (zero FGs last 6 m) the score would have been reflective of the way the game went. Once Buffalo started turning it over after having 0 turnovers the first 16 minutes, the game went about as expected.

Sy Chatman got a bunch of junk points late, but I wasn't really impressed by anyone they had, so no one really qualified as a difference maker in my eyes. Leave them alone on the perimeter and force them to make 3 passes and they'd go iso and take a bad jumper.

Question for you sdad - been noticing Dji finished everything at the rim with his right hand, even plays that naturally would favor the left hand, was wondering about why - comfort thing, or something he's being coached to do?

Pitiful play down the stretch after playing very solid the first 30 minutes. The way we protect the ball and with such veteran presence, their press should not have bothered us as much as it did. Thankfully we had built a big enough lead to hang on.

Dji played an excellent first half, but had several mistakes in the second. Neal was aggressive offensively and played a good overall game. Roche and Noyes have slid further and further down the rotation - just not showing much when they are getting their chances.

Stinks the game got so tight at the end, but good to get the "get away game" victory. Congrats to the guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT