ADVERTISEMENT

DUQ game thread - Tuesday 7pm ESPN+

I disagree with the assertation that we got lucky….

That was big W….Down by 8, finishing on a 12-2 run to close the game. That is clutch.
There is no doubt there was good fortune involved. Dukes being without their leading scorer was the first factor in UR’s favor.
The possession arrow being in UR’s direction on the inadvertent whistle was the second factor. There is no doubt the DU player walked and turned the ball over, but that has nothing to do with why the Spiders got the ball. The last foul by Quinn was also a bit fortunate as his hug was not deemed to be flagrant. I am not implying that it was, but it could have been ruled as such as it is a judgement call. Interestingly, there is no such thing as an intentional foul in the current rule book, only flagrant fouls. Last, it was fortunate that Clarke blew his FTs and that his intentional miss had a better chance of breaking the backboard than Spider fans hearts.

All that being said, the Spiders did have to play clutch basketball and outscore DU 12-2 as also pointed out. So I am not saying the reason the Spiders won was luck, but a number of things were fortunate.

From the stands LMAO. 100% it was the back ref. Honestly I don't think it was inadvertant. I think it was just late. Which I guess they use inadvertant description. He probably did finally see Dambrot, blew whistle intentionally but by that time realized we had stolen the ball. That's why he conferred with other ref on the timing. It's not easy to get a TO call from the opposite side of floor in that situation. I believe Dambrot when he says trying to call it but that's not automatic, the ref is watching the play first and Dambrot may not have been in his line of sight. As others noted they could have called traveling b4 the steal anyway. We executed better than Duq last few minutes it was nice to see.

Mooney actually tried to call a TO after the King bucket, but he was a little late. Duq inbounded quickly, and the refs imo rightly ignored Mooney.

I think the 2nd foul on Quinn was quite soft. But overall in last 2 road games there were a number of close late calls that could arguably have gone either way and I think we pretty much got them all so we should probably put away the refs always screw us tone. There will be a time we have right to bitch it's not recent imo.
A Pittsburgh newspaper stated that a referee blew the whistle to award the timeout but was overruled by another because the Duquesne player had lost possession of the ball therefore inadvertent whistle.

Fwiw, the end result of the calls benefitted UR, not the calls themselves. This is what I meant. Both calls def. sucked but the way the ensuing decisions/gameplay that played out from those calls helped UR win.

UR needs to ice games at the line and not let variance catch up.

A Pittsburgh newspaper stated that a referee blew the whistle to award the timeout but was overruled by another because the Duquesne player had lost possession of the ball therefore inadvertent whistle.
Interesting. I had no idea we got awarded the ball because of a jump ball situation. If anything that call could have screwed us then, giving the possession arrow away on a play where we had forced a turnover.

And yes, on the last play, if a non shooting foul is called, the Dukes impound and possibly get a good luck at a 3, instead of fouling an ex VCU player who promptly bricked a FT and then was apparently unaware that you needed to hit the rim on the second FT, which is pretty par for the course. Smart foul by Quinn after all:)

Yes that's how it played it out imo too. I don't know if Pittsburgh is known for great journalism. But hey it is the Paris of Appalachia.

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
Interesting. I had no idea we got awarded the ball because of a jump ball situation. If anything that call could have screwed us then, giving the possession arrow away on a play where we had forced a turnover.

We didn't. If the ball was considered loose then the arrow would have come into play. We had the ball. Then whistle came. They aren't going to a possession arrow to determine possession when it was already determined on the floor. It was a little chaotic but I'm certain they didn't change the possession arrow back to Duq after that. Why would they unless there was unknown possession or dual possession. DLo had the ball. Jamie Luckie the ref on baseline made the call.

It's kinda like the Loyola game. They aren't going to call traveling when someone is OOB. They'll call OOB. In the history of basketball have u ever seen someone call a travel when that player is OOB. I haven't. Why...bc u r OUT of Bounds lol.

We didn't. If the ball was considered loose then the arrow would have come into play. We had the ball. Then whistle came. They aren't going to a possession arrow to determine possession when it was already determined on the floor. It was a little chaotic but I'm certain they didn't change the possession arrow back to Duq after that. Why would they unless there was unknown possession or dual possession. DLo had the ball. Jamie Luckie the ref on baseline made the call.

It's kinda like the Loyola game. They aren't going to call traveling when someone is OOB. They'll call OOB. In the history of basketball have u ever seen someone call a travel when that player is OOB. I haven't. Why...bc u r OUT of Bounds lol.
Thanks for the clarification. They never really clarified the call on our broadcast, despite the length of the delay. We were just inbounded and things moved on.

Reactions: GKiller
"how is he not one of everyone's favorite players by now?"

97 some people just saw all they needed to see 🫠 But seriously, glad he is playing the way he's always played. Couple of mistakes last night but can live with them. Like I've always said, he's going to always make the right basketball play. I'm loving this team and their toughness esp defensively. To me the refs were terrible for both teams and like I said online the refs didn't cause Clark to miss those last FTs. Let's get this dub at Davidson and head home for two big matchups. 🕷️🏀
I can’t remember the last time Dji got his pocket picked like last night. Usually protects the ball and has great handles. Clean it up, dji! :)

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
"how is he not one of everyone's favorite players by now?"

97 some people just saw all they needed to see 🫠 But seriously, glad he is playing the way he's always played. Couple of mistakes last night but can live with them. Like I've always said, he's going to always make the right basketball play. I'm loving this team and their toughness esp defensively. To me the refs were terrible for both teams and like I said online the refs didn't cause Clark to miss those last FTs. Let's get this dub at Davidson and head home for two big matchups. 🕷️🏀
The refs were a lot tighter on us in 1st half than Duq. Between calls and Duq defense we had trouble getting in the flow.
Second game key player like Bigs or Hunt were off that someone else stepped up like Harris or Roche or Walz. We definitely have a deeper team and creates less hesitation on subbing.

I can’t remember the last time Dji got his pocket picked like last night. Usually protects the ball and has great handles. Clean it up, dji! :)
Yeah he had two bad TOs and in the past he would have quickly pulled. I'm just happy he has that freedom now. If he does make a mistake he doesn't have to look over his shoulder. But yeah clean it up son! 😀

Thanks for the clarification. They never really clarified the call on our broadcast, despite the length of the delay. We were just inbounded and things moved on.

Actually I'd like to take that back. I apologize for the confusion. & RichmondNative was right. Sorry Native. It did go to the possession arrow. I thought DLo had the ball but I rewatched and he did not have clear possession b4 the whistle. Thus ball is loose and they go to possession arrow. The ball was clearly out b4 whistle just loose. And I noticed they did change the possession arrow to Duq after that play. That wasn't communicated on broadcast etc. Even the espn play by play is "wrong", but espn is always wrong so nothing to see there. but my guess is espn calls a jump ball a turnover, technically ball changed possession. They gave DLo a steal there.

Weird play for sure.

We didn't. If the ball was considered loose then the arrow would have come into play. We had the ball. Then whistle came. They aren't going to a possession arrow to determine possession when it was already determined on the floor.
this is correct. ESPN stats (play by play) at 1:31 credit Dixon for a turnover and DLo with a steal. the inadvertent whistle came after the steal stopping play, but DLo got credit for the steal.

Bottom line is we did enough (barely) to win. Road wins are tough to come by, and although it wasn't pretty, we got the job done.

If those two strange plays (the phantom whistle and the Quinn foul) had happened at random other points during the game, we probably wouldn't even be mentioning them today. It just so happened that they both occurred in the final minute, so they garnered more attention. On to Davidson!

Bottom line is we did enough (barely) to win. Road wins are tough to come by, and although it wasn't pretty, we got the job done.

If those two strange plays (the phantom whistle and the Quinn foul) had happened at random other points during the game, we probably wouldn't even be mentioning them today. It just so happened that they both occurred in the final minute, so they garnered more attention. On to Davidson!
On to Davidson!!

Dji played great agan last night. I think 2 of the biggest plays of the game were made by Dji at the end of each half. Of course, the drive to the basket and winning bucket is what will be talked about, but I thought his offensive rebound at the end of the 1st half which led to the Roche 3 was an enormous play.. We were down 8, and if they get the rebound they have about 10 seconds to make it a 10 or 11 point lead at the half. Instead, Dji gets the board and Roche makes the 3 with only about 5 seconds left,, leaving them with little time to score. That was a huge swing.

Agree on the Quinn call, felt like the refs split the difference - Quinn did foul intentionally, but was not flagrant. I didn't quite see what happened really well before that but announcers indicated that Dji ran at the ball getting beat. Then I think it was mentioned that refs may have started play before both teams were ready.

Great play by Dji. I was urging him to shoot the three, but quickly became happy with the decision to go to the rim. Great finish in there to get all the way to the basket.
ESPN feed split the difference another way, that had me yelling.

Per ESPN foul was on Dji before ballhandler got to Quinn but was a shooting foul !?! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
Dji played great agan last night. I think 2 of the biggest plays of the game were made by Dji at the end of each half. Of course, the drive to the basket and winning bucket is what will be talked about, but I thought his offensive rebound at the end of the 1st half which led to the Roche 3 was an enormous play.. We were down 8, and if they get the rebound they have about 10 seconds to make it a 10 or 11 point lead at the half. Instead, Dji gets the board and Roche makes the 3 with only about 5 seconds left,, leaving them with little time to score. That was a huge swing.

Agree that was a big play. Moon recognized & gave him some props for it.

I’d like even more usage from Dji on those drives. But the other guards in the game have to recognize that and be ready to get back on a miss. Same if a shooter like Roche is in the corner on a drive -has to sprint back. Spiders got hit with a rebound run out layup at least once yesterday.

I mentioned the crowd was going to be weak. They were coming off a sellout Friday vs. Dayton, not used that, a massive fall off was expected when u play very next game on a Tues for a program like Duq. Fwiw a Duq friend of mine who was there said the crowd was "pretty good for a Tuesday".

Also Duq fudges the numbers worse than us. I think they had attendance as 2/3 full. Does anybody believe that? Closer to 1/3 full. The capacity is not big after the reno but they did a nice job w reno.
Looked like a few hundred on tv

Best move of the game: 4 minutes to go with Quinn stuck under the basket; fakes the behind the back pass which the Dukes player falls for; opens up the passing lane for the Dji three. Beautiful.

Also very refreshing to have the other team's broadcast crew not be annoying. I found these guys to be relatively balanced and informative, though like most they go overboard on the Princeton stuff. Can only imaging what it is like for an opposing team's fans to listen to our crew for a game at the RC.
Greg and Bob are great

Guys, it’s now clear what happens at the end of the game. You don’t need the broadcasters or ESPN to tell you.

Ball was loose. Duquesne coach kept asking for timeout (why he was so angry) but didn’t get it until the ball was deemed loose. Possession arrow, spiders. Ball game, spiders.

Reactions: urfan1
1. wedding planner.
2. Princeton offense.
3. 3rd winningest A-10 coach

All empty talking points for announcers who need to fill time and don’t have context on UR. Did I miss any? They must have been sad when the matchup zone went away and they couldn’t talk about that and also then reference Chaney.

1. wedding planner.
2. Princeton offense.

All empty talking points for announcers who need to fill time and don’t have context on UR. Did I miss any? They must have been sad when the matchup zone went away and they couldn’t talk about that and also then reference Chaney.
I like Nancy as much as the next guy, but man they talked about her every game of TJ's career.

Yeah he had two bad TOs and in the past he would have quickly pulled. I'm just happy he has that freedom now. If he does make a mistake he doesn't have to look over his shoulder. But yeah clean it up son! 😀

Yes Dad that Mooney privilege has to be earned over several years. Nice to see Dji has passed that threshold...

Reactions: SpiderDad75
And then, of course, from a Richmond standpoint, we beat Syracuse in the NCAA Tourny many moons ago. Have we not done anything since? Do a little research before you get on the air.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
1. wedding planner.
2. Princeton offense.

Good timing on that post.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Didn't notice this in real time - Neal does a great job screening his own man and slowing down Dji's man at the same time to give Dji a clear lane to a basket on his game winning layup. As close as you can get to an assist without passing the ball. These are the types of things only he can bring to our offense and what we desperately miss when he has to come off the floor.

nice catch. that's a high basketball IQ play by Neal.
Also a high IQ play from Dji. You could tell he knew what he was going to do before the pass even got to him. Notice how quickly he caught the ball and faked the shot...all in one motion. If he hesitates there, the defender might have time to adjust and drop back a little.

Freeze it right before Dji catches the ball. Our spacing is outstanding. Nice job by Dji to swing over a little farther from King to create more space. Neal draws 2 guys in the paint including, Dji's guy, but Dji making some 3s this year likely caused his guy to go out toward him and respect the 3 as Dji gets the ball. Look how close King's guy is to him. If he lays off, the open drive is not there for Dji. But, he can't lay off because Jordan can hit the 3 there, and they know that so they don't want King beating them there. It just shows the importance of team ball, and having multiple weapons out there. I think last year there's a good chance we see 3 guys in the lane there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT