ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joe’s Game Thread -Wed 7pm ESPN+

Graham does have resemblance to the Goose. But back to the ref deal............told this before.....but my favorite authority/fan story...and no I don't recommend Ryan did this because today things are more uptight.....playing the Hokies at the Arena in mid 60's when they were in the Southern Conference with us. Students packed the Arena every game and sat in the "usual" seats. Apparently this particular game there was more public demand for seats. We - students- were packed in usual end zone close in seats- and an usher walked in front of the section and yelled out - you in row 8, seat 12 (not sure of specific seat) - you will have to move because someone has a ticket for that seat. The student stood and yelled back - "Come and get me"..............the usher shrugged and walked away and that was it................

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
They really went after King. They tried to beat him up.
I was surprised the refs did not review the play on which Jordan King was shaken up!

Had a good angle on it from my seat; King came flying under the basket near the baseline; the Hawks defender put a “hip check” on him that would have made Gordy Howe proud! Didn’t look like a basket ball play to me!

By game’s end it didn’t appear King’s injury was serious. I hope he’s ready for Mason.

Go Spiders!

Anyone know why Ryan butler got thrown out???
I wasn't there, but I have to say he probably deserved it based on past experience sitting near him. He tries to pick fights with other fans and always yells at the refs. He invited me to the concourse for a fight once. Glad I declined. Might have gotten my ass kicked. 😉
But I don't like that guy. He's kind of a mark against the university. Bad sportsmanship and a terrible look as a former player.

Easy there, all Mooney guys are good guys is the mantra I know and hold. But on the other hand, Ryan Butler on the court was a favorite player of mine. Very clutch player that kept grinding, and had a couple of very good seasons the last two years of his career.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I wasn't there, but I have to say he probably deserved it based on past experience sitting near him. He tries to pick fights with other fans and always yells at the refs. He invited me to the concourse for a fight once. Glad I declined. Might have gotten my ass kicked. 😉
But I don't like that guy. He's kind of a mark against the university. Bad sportsmanship and a terrible look as a former player.
Personally, think Butler's antics are pretty funny, granted I don't sit close to him, so not sure what is being said. He is very loud and demonstrative throughout the game particularly at the officials. And yeah, Butler is a big dude, so defintly decline that fight.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Personally, think Butler's antics are pretty funny, granted I don't sit close to him, so not sure what is being said. He is very loud and demonstrative throughout the game particularly at the officials. And yeah, Butler is a big dude, so defintly decline that fight.
I don’t know Ryan but I respect the fact that he comes to basically all the games and from my view from Section 9 he is intense and likes to get the crowd going …

Last edited:
Reactions: mr.spider
Does Jeff sit near his son or far away as he can.
I haven't seen Jeff in a while, but when I met him in DC before a Mason or GW game, there was a night and day difference between him and his son. Don't know where Ryan went wrong. Ryan is voistrous and does try to get the crowd involved, so I'll give him that for sure. But he is too abrasive and rude in my opinion and doesn't represent the school well. I saw him at the Siegel Center too, and he was picking fights there too. He fits in more with the picture we paint of vcu fans, whether we are being fair in the portrait we paint or not. I like to think our fans tend to be as a whole respectful people, and Ryan doesn't fit that bill. Just sayin.

Anyway. Butts is who he is and he definitely supports our Spiders!

Back to celebrating our championship! So awesome to see Mooney choked up and so excited. Such big smiles from him and all the players. Watched the post game on ESPN+ a 2nd time and got choked up again watching it. So proud of this team, and so proud to be a Spider! Let's keep this thing rolling! Hope King got his homework done and is ready for Saturday. Hopefully a lot of you can make it up there and help secure another very important win!

Official highlights

Postgame net cutting

I couldn't find the whole game but hopefully it's out there somewhere.

I haven't seen Jeff in a while, but when I met him in DC before a Mason or GW game, there was a night and day difference between him and his son. Don't know where Ryan went wrong. Ryan is voistrous and does try to get the crowd involved, so I'll give him that for sure. But he is too abrasive and rude in my opinion and doesn't represent the school well. I saw him at the Siegel Center too, and he was picking fights there too. He fits in more with the picture we paint of vcu fans, whether we are being fair in the portrait we paint or not. I like to think our fans tend to be as a whole respectful people, and Ryan doesn't fit that bill. Just sayin.

Anyone remember "3 blind mice"?

Reactions: urfan1
Saw Jeff at VCU game talking with John Moreau after the game.

Reactions: urfan1
"Voistrous" = vocal + boisterous. Hopefully. Otherwise, it sounds like you are describing something gross.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT