ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Baseball Season

Poor decision by SLU center fielder to dive for that one with no chance. Bernstein with the leadoff double.

Edit: And he sneaks in under the throw at the plate on a Jaffe single!

Reactions: urfan1
Hopefully Whitley is okay, looked a little shaken up after trying to make a diving play.

We'll see how long Hentschel can go...not sure who we'd turn to after him if he can't go the distance. I'd assume Ymker, but I'd think Aoki is really trying to save him to start the next game.

Was hoping Hinchliffe and Reinke would look a little sharper today. We're going to need them to be effective if we want to advance much farther in the tournament.

2-run Fogerty homer with two outs...13–10. As I said, can't afford that leadoff error.

Here we go, three outs to victory, bottom of the order coming up. Don't think we can count on Neuweg to strike out on a pitch clock violation again to end the game.

I hate conference tournaments because they often reward regular-season underperformance and penalize the conference champion, but if the A-10 decides to have one, we might as well win it.

Hentschel: 2.1 IP, 7 Ks, 1 BB, 1 H, 2 Runs (1 Earned) and the Save
Bernstein: 2-3, Double, 4 Runs scored, 1 RBI, 2 Walks
Jaffe: 3-4, 2 HRs, 4 Runs Scored, 5 RBIs, 1 Walk
Arcamone: 2-5, 2 HRs, 6 RBIs

Big W! We'll get the winner of VCU and Dayton on Friday at 11. Still think we're doing OK with pitching depth as well. I assume we'll have Ymker try to cover 3/4 innings, and Reinke and Hincliffe should be available for at least a few innings each as well. Hentschel should also be good to go with the off day tomorrow.

Wonder if Roche could go Friday afternoon or Saturday if we need him to.

Do we think Roche and Topolski will be back on the mound for Friday’s game? It’s huge that we get a rest day

Do we think Roche and Topolski will be back on the mound for Friday’s game? It’s huge that we get a rest day
I don't think we'd throw Roche on 3 days rest when he's had one week of rest in between every start, but I could be wrong. He only went 5 innings so it's possible, especially if we lose and have to play Friday afternoon to advance. Topolski might be more likely for Friday's first game.

I know we have a lot of old school guys on here who think pitchers are babied these days (I don't totally disagree), but I'd think Aoki would like to get Roche at least 4 days rest if he can.

I don't think we'd throw Roche on 3 days rest when he's had one week of rest in between every start, but I could be wrong. He only went 5 innings so it's possible, especially if we lose and have to play Friday afternoon to advance. Topolski might be more likely for Friday's first game.

I know we have a lot of old school guys on here who think pitchers are babied these days (I don't totally disagree), but I'd think Aoki would like to get Roche at least 4 days rest if he can.
Thanks MD, I don’t know much about baseball and pitching rotations. Do you think Aoki would not play one of our better pitchers (even after sufficient rest) in hopes of playing them in an elimination game or championship game? I’m on the mindset that if our best players can play they should play because there is no guarantee what the next game has in store. But there’s a lot to consider and factor in, surely. Glad we’re at this position though where we can rest and see how other outcomes of games unfold.

Starting pitchers usually are creatures of habit and routine, so messing with off days too much can be a recipe for disaster. That said, this is a conference tournament, so some stuff will change out of necessity.

Thanks MD, I don’t know much about baseball and pitching rotations. Do you think Aoki would not play one of our better pitchers (even after sufficient rest) in hopes of playing them in an elimination game or championship game? I’m on the mindset that if our best players can play they should play because there is no guarantee what the next game has in store. But there’s a lot to consider and factor in, surely. Glad we’re at this position though where we can rest and see how other outcomes of games unfold.
I'd think if we lose the first game on Friday, there's a solid chance we'd see Roche in game 2. If we win Friday, then we'll probably see Roche Saturday. Seems like a way to try to be conservative while not having your ace sit on the bench whie you're sent packing.

Again, no clue on this, just guessing. These postseason tournaments always get a bt weird.

VCU just had an offensive explosion in the 4th inning, capped off with an Eli Weisner grand slam, after Eike was intentionally walked. They lead 8-2.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should play our best pitchers on Friday (assuming they have enough rest) and not keep them for an elimination game Friday evening or even for the hope that they can play at the championship on Saturday. Looks like we're going to play VCU who is very good. Losing the early game on Friday would mean that we would then need to win the next 3 games in a row in a 24 hour hour period to be A10 championship. That would also mean (mostly likely) going through either Dayton or SLU and then playing VCU twice. It would also mean playing 2 games Friday and 2 games on Saturday. That's a very tall ask, especially for our team that is kind of thin with our pitching rotation.

We need to have the mentality that we're going to be 2-0 our next 2 games and not 3-1 over 4 games.

Hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy the off day, and watch some great Conference tournament baseball from around the country. Here is today's A10 schedule:

11AM ET: (5) George Washington v (3) Dayton
3PM ET: (7) Saint Joeseph's v (1) Saint Louis
7PM ET: Winner of 11AM Game v Winner of 3PM Game

After today, only three teams will remain in the tournament. Should be a good day of baseball, particularly on the pitching side. Here are some nuggets of things I am looking out for:
  • A pair of All-Conference Southpaws take the mound: We should see George Washington turn to All-Conference First Team pitcher Michael Foltz, who last pitched on May 17. In the 3PM game, SJU will likely utilize their All-Conference Second Team hurler Ryan DeSanto, who also pitched on May 17 against GW (the two did not face off, pitching in different games of a Doubleheader).
    • Foltz did not face Dayton this season, but will have his hands full with a really potent lineup
    • DeSanto pitched to a win against SLU all the way back in early April. His line was 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 7K. In his last three starts, he has pitched to an ERA of 1.52 (17.2 IP).
  • When (and how) will Dayton deploy Wissman?: The Flyers have the A10 pitcher of the year, but he pitched 50 pitches in Dayton's win on Tuesday against UMass. Wissman has pitched two times in three days before, most recently throwing 3.2 innings on 5/10 and another 1.1 on 5/12 (pitch count unavailable), but then was not used in the final series of the season. His high for pitches in a three day stretch this season is 120 (4/26 and 4/28 vs Davidson). How early do you use him in Game 1 if it is tight? Do you try to use him in both games for shorter stretches? Questions abound.
  • SLU need production out of top bats: In yesterday's game against Richmond, SLU's All-Conference First Team bats, Ethan Sitzman and Patrick Clohisy went a combined 1-10 with 5 strikeouts out of the 2 and 3 spots in the lineup, respectively.

Wow - Jake Topolski was struck in the face by a fastball during a fall scrimmage this year. He had to go to the emergency room, lost teeth, and required dental implants. He has to undergo more dental work this summer and can only chew on one side of his mouth. You'd have no idea based on his team leading 45 RBI and very solid .813 OPS.

Rooting for him more han ever!

Reactions: TobiasCatsup
Down 4–1 in the 4th, Dayton just went to Wissman as their 4th pitcher of the game already, and he promptly gave up a triple to Young that scored two more runs for GW, then a groundout that brought him home. 7–1 GW.

• Wow
Reactions: TobiasCatsup
Yes, we have a losing record but there seems to be more momentum and purpose in our program than any time in the last 10 years. Excited to see what happens going forward, especially if the university increases institutional support, as has been reported. We need to start being a regular in the NCAA tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT