ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley and the Lakers

Living in Brentwood and paying all those Cal state taxes plus $7.30 a gallon for that Maybach among other toys including 2 live-ins ain’t gonna be cheap.$15m per year sounds about right with $75m guaranteed.No more NIL nonsense and visiting recruits in their living room and eating Mom’s apple pie and smiling.

If waking up in Brentwood is one of the downsides of the job, it must be one fantastic position. Brentwood is freaking beautiful.

Never thought he would take the Lakers job. Key being UCONN has a legit shot at winning again. Even if he doesn't win, and lets just say he makes a final four - that would be unbelievable. Plus - the Lakers are not a good job. Lebron is old - you maybe have him for 2 more years. AD never wants to step up and be the MAN. After that - your looking at Reeves and Russell. They got nothing. And they are likely to waste a pick on Lebron's kid this year.
Hurley did the smart thing here. He took the interview. Made it public. He informed his team he was speaking to the Lakers. All of this - why? Cause it makes UCONN scramble and give him more money and extension. Rumor has it according to Jeff Goodman - UCONN has offered him 6 years and 50 million AFTER he turned down Lakers.

Can a coach take the money and then give his own money to the NIL?

Never thought he would take the Lakers job. Key being UCONN has a legit shot at winning again. Even if he doesn't win, and lets just say he makes a final four - that would be unbelievable. Plus - the Lakers are not a good job. Lebron is old - you maybe have him for 2 more years. AD never wants to step up and be the MAN. After that - your looking at Reeves and Russell. They got nothing. And they are likely to waste a pick on Lebron's kid this year.
Hurley did the smart thing here. He took the interview. Made it public. He informed his team he was speaking to the Lakers. All of this - why? Cause it makes UCONN scramble and give him more money and extension. Rumor has it according to Jeff Goodman - UCONN has offered him 6 years and 50 million AFTER he turned down Lakers.

Can a coach take the money and then give his own money to the NIL?
he addressed all of this already. said UConn and he had already agreed on the number of his new deal before the Laker talk. just ironing out other issues like assistant compensation, NIL, etc.

and he said there was a number he wouldn't walk away from if the Lakers offered it.
(I'm sticking with my $15M per year proposal ... 6 for $90M).

I call BS on Hurley when he says him and UCONN already ironed out the number. I got a feeling that number changed slightly on the return flight from LA.

I also do believe there was a number he would not walk away from - and maybe 15M per year was it. But this is smart of him to say - because he has been open and said in interviews, he one day would consider the NBA as a coach. And by saying there was a number he wouldn't walk away from - that leaves the door open and keeps other teams calling him in the future.

As opposed to Coach K - when he interviewed with the Lakers and turned them down, I think the entire NBA reacted with - he is staying in college, don't waste your time. This at least keeps Hurley on the list of jobs for the NBA - which might be the Lakers again in 3-4 years.

I call BS on Hurley when he says him and UCONN already ironed out the number. I got a feeling that number changed slightly on the return flight from LA.

I also do believe there was a number he would not walk away from - and maybe 15M per year was it. But this is smart of him to say - because he has been open and said in interviews, he one day would consider the NBA as a coach. And by saying there was a number he wouldn't walk away from - that leaves the door open and keeps other teams calling him in the future.

As opposed to Coach K - when he interviewed with the Lakers and turned them down, I think the entire NBA reacted with - he is staying in college, don't waste your time. This at least keeps Hurley on the list of jobs for the NBA - which might be the Lakers again in 3-4 years.
His wife will still be a Jersey girl. So I'm going with Philly, Knicks, or Brooklyn.

Agreed - he would be best from a family perspective on the East Coast. But at 10 million plus a year, and with him travelling on the road most of the year in the NBA - the wife can fly first class to NJ or even in a private jet as much as she wants.

I think he has a solid 2-3 more years at UCONN as I think he wants to see how much more can he do. Winning another national title in the next 2-3 years would be unbelievable, as would just making another final four in that span. If he does either of those - it would put him right up there with the all-time greats.

Reactions: urfan1
His wife will still be a Jersey girl. So I'm going with Philly, Knicks, or Brooklyn.
He could be a good fit with Knicks or Brooklyn. I think he could turbocharge the Knicks culture that we saw this year, that was pretty awesome. Brooklyn is a team in total rebuild so that would work as well, build the culture from scratch. Philly is interesting, a player like Maxey would thrive in his system, but I think Philly is pretty happy with their coach.

What wasn't going to work was a Lebron led Lakers team. And he rightly recognized this.

meh. if the offer was right, he wouldn't have recognized anything. he'd be gone and his wife would be fine leaving the east coast.
Possibly. I don't live in the land of the ultra rich but Hurley has a Net Worth of 20 million and has a 6 year, 31 million dollar contract from UConn. If I was that wealthy, I would be looking at many other things as primary considerations for a new job than more money. Can I be successful here? Do I want to move my entire family across the country. How much do I like my current job? What will be the impact on my marriage and my kids if I take this new job. All questions I would be asking versus, can you throw an extra couple million onto this contract.

Possibly. I don't live in the land of the ultra rich but Hurley has a Net Worth of 20 million and has a 6 year, 31 million dollar contract from UConn. If I was that wealthy, I would be looking at many other things as primary considerations for a new job than more money. Can I be successful here? Do I want to move my entire family across the country. How much do I like my current job? What will be the impact on my marriage and my kids if I take this new job. All questions I would be asking versus, can you throw an extra couple million onto this contract.
understood, but he already said there was a number he wouldn't walk away from. so I'll take his word for it. he had those questiones answered. the money was short.

understood, but he already said there was a number he wouldn't walk away from. so I'll take his word for it. he had those questiones answered. the money was short.
Maybe, maybe not....he did interview with them, but why not interview? This keeps his name out there for future possibilities. If he didn't act like there was a number he wouldn't walk away from, the question would have been why interview at all? And, this obviously gives him a chance to get a little more money from UCONN. So, I agree with 97 here. He wasn't going anywhere at this time. I don't think LeBron had anything to do with it, but I do think the post LeBron Lakers could have a tough time, so that could have been a factor. But, again, he wasn't going anywhere right now.

Why do we care about Hurley at all?
Because he was a peer coach of Mooney's in the A10 and this is a basketball board and uconn has won two championships in a row in dominating fashion and it's an interesting story. But others of us would rather hear posters attack other posters over their choice of avatar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT