ADVERTISEMENT

Davidson women cancel remainder of their season

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
The Davidson women have forfeited the remainder of their season due to injuries. They had forfeited two games last week, rolled out just seven players for senior night against GW on Wednesday, and have now forfeited their finale at SLU and the conference tourney.

Looks like they've already adjusted the A-10 tourney schedule...with 14 teams, there will only be two first round games with the 10 seed now getting a bye into the second round.

I still don't understand after reading. Are all the remaining players walk ons? I don't recall anything like this ever happening. Why not just play out the last 2 games, even if it's two beat downs?

SLU now loses their own Senior Night, I assume?

Davidson needs a team of Trans athletes. They could add a five or six guys from the men's team. These men could make a sudden transition to female. They could then win the A10 and crush the NCAAW tournament.

I coached a little league team when due to bad weather only 5 shows up. We played, BTW, one fouled out mid 4TH quarter we finished with 4. We won, had a good squad that year.

The A10 is a difficult league. If Davidson continued play, the remaining teams would just target the remaining players. It was a decision to protect the players. What would they do if they were down to 3 players?

Reactions: AnnapSpider
Did they have another injury on Wednesday? It wasn’t mentioned anywhere so I assume not the case. Either u can play or u can’t and they did Wed. Men would play w 7.

Reactions: gospidersgo
They forfeited to Dayton Wednesday, it looks like. I've never heard of a team quitting the season because of injuries.

Weird. One kid only played 3 minutes, so it must have been one of the other players who got injured.

These ladies are brave. Almost as brave as the Ivy League administrators who canceled the Spring 2021 season due to Covid a year after the rest of us learned to deal with it

Teams play 7 or even 6 players for entire games all the time, so I'm not sure what would prompt ending your season because of it. Maybe there's more to this story we haven't been told? If its just "we are down to 7 and can't handle it" then that's super lame.

My take is that this decision was crazy hard for them to make and not the one they wanted to have to make …

Either way, am sure we don’t know the full story so while we (me included) are of a mind to play on, it’s not something to linger on, nor is it indicative of broader trends. It’s a very specific situation with regard to their circumstances. If your kid was on that team I’m sure you’d be more sympathetic to their collective decision which I’m sure was thought through and discussed at length. Sometimes we have to give the benefit of the doubt and not be cynical jerks.

I don't know how you practice with 6, even if you have a couple of walk-ons. Davidson isn't exactly a huge student body where you could even find some decent walk-ons to add mid-season.

I am sure they were more or less done after the URI game but canceled a couple to see if they might get anybody back, rolled out a skeleton crew against GW so they could still have a senior night, and then packed it in.

Agree that we can't understand the entire situation, and there's no doubt in my mind that they'd want to play if they could.

You can play with 5 or 6 players. Davidson has an obligation to the rest of the conference to show up when scheduled if they can field a team. The coach's explanation sounds like she should have been a social worker rather than a coach.

Signed, Cynical Jerk ;)

I think if there's something more than a bunch of physical injuries going on, they should come out and say so. The explanations so far seem pretty intentionally vague and make it sound like physical injuries but also like there's something more they don't want to mention. Who knows.

There's no reason they couldn't practice with six and play with five or six.

Reactions: gospidersgo
they said non-covid illness, my guess is a contagious raspatory illness.

This one is hard for me. Obviously it was a tough decision and I feel bad for those who had to make it and those who were impacted by it. But it also just feels like there is something else going on. If it's a non COVID respiratory illness as someone else theorized, wouldn't at least some of the players be back by the time their first game in the tournament would have been?

Last edited:
It's quitting, plain and simple. Let's not call it something else. You've got 6 players, that is enough to field a team and do they not have any walk-ons? How long is this mystery respiratory virus lasting, 10 days, come on please. It's just set and sends a terrible message about your culture as a competitive team, that when the going gets tough, we quit. UVA did this during one of the Covid years, "oh it's just too hard, we quit". That coach didn't last long.

Also side note: I can't imagine a men's team doing this. Particularly at our level. There is too much revenue, TV $$$ left for it to even be an option.

When my daughter played hs basketball in small town CT, this kind of thing happened a lot, more at the JV level, but also at Varsity. There was one team in particular that forfeited quite a few games due to sickness or injury. I took it at face value, but my daughter said all the girls on her team and other teams didn't buy it. The coach of said forfeiting team (former college player and ex wife of an NBA player) was thought to be trying to protect her daughter ( a mid major D1 prospect) from losing games. My daughter got to start a few games on varsity freshman year due to low numbers - the varsity was down to 4 active players due to SAT's injury, etc.

I was shocked to find out the team that was the best girls program in our conference could not even field a team this past season. Apparently declining numbers for girls basketball in CT, which is surprising with the 24 hour news cycle on the women Huskies. I blame Hurley :):)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT