ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Rule Changes hurt A10

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
This stinks. The NIT will be opened to more teams from P5 conferences. Even if UR wins the regular season and loses the A10 tournament, it could be shut out of the NIT.

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT. Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of won-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

This stinks. The NIT will be opened to more teams from P5 conferences. Even if UR wins the regular season and loses the A10 tournament, it could be shut out of the NIT.

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT. Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of won-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

Not a surprise.

Well, the NCAA has screwed up college football and run out of ideas.
So, they have decided to take the most successful operation in the world
of college basketball and screw it up.
I guess they have the money to prevent a rival association for college
sports from forming, But, it would be nice.

The NCAA is completely stacking the deck against the non-P5 schools. Now a team with a losing record has been given the right to play in the post season. Talk about a participation trophy.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
The NCAA is completely stacking the deck against the non-P5 schools. Now a team with a losing record has been given the right to play in the post season. Talk about a participation trophy.
Agreed. And they are being short sighted. What most people like most about the tournament is the chance for upsets, especially in the early rounds. Less bids to mid-majors and below, the less chance of that happening.

I am thinking NCAA or bust at the moment. No concern about the NIT at this time, don't want to think about it.
Unless this change is a test run for the NCAA in the near future…

The NCAA is completely stacking the deck against the non-P5 schools. Now a team with a losing record has been given the right to play in the post season. Talk about a participation trophy
Really sucks. No one should be interested in a losing team. Not only that, they get to host now. That's crap. No one cared about the NIT that much anyway; now you hurt yourself more. The guaranteed 1 seed for the first four out gave some appeal.

Reactions: urfan1
Really sucks. No one should be interested in a losing team. Not only that, they get to host now. That's crap. No one cared about the NIT that much anyway; now you hurt yourself more. The guaranteed 1 seed for the first four out gave some appeal.

idk but I think they'll still have 1 seed for first 4 out. There are 16 higher seeded "home" games 1st round. 12 are going to the P6. 4 left.

The NIT is like the bowl games, it's becoming opt out season. They're trying to avoid that in some way with these moves, but it's still dumb.

I'm with 23...NCAA or bust.

Enough P6 teams probably will opt out of the NIT anyway that some non-P6ers will get home games. And the NCAA likes making money and should know that P6 fans aren't going nuts for a home NIT game anyway, but the Ionas and UNCWs of the world will.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I am thinking NCAA or bust at the moment. No concern about the NIT at this time, don't want to think about it.
Go ahead focus on the NCCA tournament. Most of the prediction services have UR with a 24-7 regular season record. UR could make it to the finals and lose to Dayton. We could easily be left out of the post season, all together with this change in NIT. What then? This represents a substantial change from the previous policy, which guaranteed a place in the NIT for conference champions and for the first four out of the NCAAT.

The only team in recent memory to opt out of the NIT, last season. Are there others?

Remember hosting ASU and Miami. Great atmosphere. Shame on NCAA.
Those two games and the 2012/13 season game against VCU when Darien Brothers hit the game-tying 3 are the loudest the RC ever got during my 4 years.

I still have nightmares about that Miami game

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT