ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Baseball Season

And if/when Charleston joins the A10, it will be even harder to win the A10 tournament in baseball. Charleston went 41-14 this year and were on the bubble, but ultimately didn’t get an at-large spot after they lost to UNCW in the CAA championship game.

Reactions: whampas and urfan1
Conklin is in the portal. Barely saw any action this season...not sure if it was injury or if he was just way down the depth chart.

Jake Elbeery is transferring to Houston, per his Twitter/IG bios and this roster listing for his summer team in the Coastal Plains League. Looked like a promising player a few years ago, but really struggled this season and never saw action after Jaffe shifted to 1B and O'Keefe took over at 3B.

Looks like we're taking a transfer from Army - redshirt freshman IF PJ Hughes from Manhattan, KS. I think he's the son of Kansas State HC Pete Hughes, who was teammates with Aoki for four years at Davidson. Aoki took over for Hughes at BC when Hughes left for VT.

Reactions: urfan1
Lorenzo is in the portal. Little spark plug infielder who didn't get a ton of time as a frosh this year, but seemed to show some promise.

Apparently Hentschel and Corso are in the portal.

Not too surprising given they were recognized on Senior night while still having a year of eligibility. If we assume everyone who was recognized won't be back next season, we're losing at least: Conklin, Jake Topolski, Lass, Hentschel, Clifton, Stinebiser, Willitts, Roche, Ymker, Corso, Armson, Elbeery, and Lorenzo. Still not sure where things stand with Whitley or Bernstein.

We have 10 incoming freshmen who will fill many of those spots, but should have a handful to fill through the portal as well.

I asked before, but any word on Pitt field renovations? The Spider athletic emails and YouTube interviews mention an institutional commitment to baseball. Sounds like coach Aoki really means that and wants to build this program up. My ideal next facility/program enhancements are: renovating the stands, getting the full amount of allotted scholarships, and stadium lights.

I asked before, but any word on Pitt field renovations? The Spider athletic emails and YouTube interviews mention an institutional commitment to baseball. Sounds like coach Aoki really means that and wants to build this program up. My ideal next facility/program enhancements are: renovating the stands, getting the full amount of allotted scholarships, and stadium lights.
Totally agree but I'd put the full amount of scholarships and lights ahead of a new grandstand in the list of priorities.

I just need to win that MegaMillions jackpot.

Totally agree but I'd put the full amount of scholarships and lights ahead of a new grandstand in the list of priorities.

I’ve heard that the issue with lights is the houses in the neighborhoods don’t want that. I don’t get that though since football has lights and it’s not like we would be playing that many games that would need the lights on. As far as scholarships, I agree that should be #1. Not sure where we are at with that now. Likely will need some institutional money from UR or a very big donation to get the appropriate funds to be able to fully endow the scholarships. There’s also Title IX considerations too. While the new grand stands is least on that list, it would make our field look much nicer. Having a nice baseball field is something recruits, players, and fans all want. I can’t imagine it’s that (relatively) expensive to renovate. We raised nearly $100K this year for baseball in the UR giving day and have had some wealthy donors give to baseball. If I hit the mega millions I’d love for baseball to have its own mini facility between the stands and indoor batting cage, which includes a locker room, lounge area, and coaches offices.

Last edited:

Based on a survey I received and talking with one of the development people, the athletic department's priority in the next major campaign is endowing salaries for coaches. My response was simple - fully fund scholarships at the maximum level for all teams and then I'd be happy to talk about contributing to an endowment for salaries. I told the individual I thought they had their priorities out of order and haven't heard a word since.

Based on a survey I received and talking with one of the development people, the athletic department's priority in the next major campaign is endowing salaries for coaches. My response was simple - fully fund scholarships at the maximum level for all teams and then I'd be happy to talk about contributing to an endowment for salaries. I told the individual I thought they had their priorities out of order and haven't heard a word since.
Isn't that a chick & egg deal? If the salaries are paid for out of endowments, then the operational funds that went to salaries can be directed toward scholarships.

If I had the money to donate, I'd build a two-story locker room/coaches offices building on the third-base side, starting at ground level. Bottom floor locker room at ground/lake level, second floor coaches offices to field level, entrances at ground level and through the third-base dugout, windows overlooking the lake. No long walk from the RC to the field, players could park in the Lakeside lot.

Any lights at Pitt Field would be well away from the homes on College Drive, and would be oriented at the field, not at the neighboring residences. Google maps shows there are TWO homes opposite Pitt Field on the other side of College Drive, both shielded from the field by a greenbelt of trees. Friggin' NIMBYs.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Commercial developers deal with these lighting issues all the time. Have to believe a plan could be made to solve the neighbor issue.

Remember Chuck Boone telling me the problems they had with the city planning department and city hall over building dugout, yes dugouts, for the current Pitt Field. Hope things have changed.

Isn't that a chick & egg deal? If the salaries are paid for out of endowments, then the operational funds that went to salaries can be directed toward scholarships.

In theory? Sure. But there is no assurance they would be. That leaves me thinking there is an absolute commitment to endowing salaries with zero commitment (at this point) to maxing out scholarships.

Reactions: spider3309
Maybe they are just assuming NIL money will make up for the scholarships? i.e. - kids who couldn't get scholarship will get more NIL money from the "collective" or with the new VA Law - UR can pay the kids directly - so just another way to get "scholarships" but get around title IX?

But to think our athletic department would try something this sneaky is a bad assumption. They would never do it or try to do it.

Maybe they are just assuming NIL money will make up for the scholarships? i.e. - kids who couldn't get scholarship will get more NIL money from the "collective" or with the new VA Law - UR can pay the kids directly - so just another way to get "scholarships" but get around title IX?

But to think our athletic department would try something this sneaky is a bad assumption. They would never do it or try to do it.
I agree, this makes a couple of assumptions of things we likely don’t have in place. First, I doubt we have any sort of NIL, let alone a robust collective like with basketball, for our baseball team. Secondly, as much as I would love for UR to take advantage of the new VA law, I don’t see them doing that or at least not be the trendsetters of it.

We have a lot of wealthy baseball donors. What I would love to see UR meet in the middle is create an option to donate to NIL directly through the Spider Athletic Fund that can go to baseball.

UVA started something similar where donors in the Sabre’s Society (their version of Spider Athletic Fund) can donate to their university’s NIL collective called Cav Futures, among other options like facility enhancements, endowments, etc.

In addition to establishing a meaningful pool of baseball NIL dollars, it seems to me that UR needs to invest in a better facility for fans. The improvements behind the outfield fences are outstanding. There is work going on right now to revamp the bullpens and other areas around the playing field. The press box, snack bar, and stands need a major upgrade for aesthetics and comfort (shade).

Mathis was 0-for-6 with five Ks and a GIDP today. Then he homers to put Clemson ahead and gets ejected for flipping the bat.

We'll have another NESCAC transfer on the squad next year - Sawyer Duarte out of Middlebury. Was a two-way player his freshman year but only pitched the last two seasons.

Started 11 games this season and registered a 4.94 ERA w/ 53 K's, 67 H, and 26 BB allowed over 62 IP.

I could see NIL money being used by schools with lots of money as a way to boost these "other" sports - such as baseball, which have limited scholarships to begin with, but now with NIL and possibly the ability for the school to pay the players directly - give out more "scholarships" than the NCAA limits.

Example - Baseball.

Roster can be 40. And you can only give out scholarships to 32 players, but most schools give less than that.

So lets say your a school that divides out 20 scholarships to 30 players or more. Giving partial scholarships along the way. Why not now - give those 20 full scholarships to 20 players. And then use NIL money to give money - in the amount of tuition, room, board, etc - to the remaining roster. As a result - you have now fielded a team on full scholarship across the board.

This assumes 2 things - 1) You have the money to do it. 2) You have the mindset from the administration to do it.

On a similar note - we all know the impact Basketball and Football appearances have on school marketing and admissions, etc. Does baseball have an effect? The past 2 weekends - it has been all over ESPN, and it will really get highlighted next week when the World Series starts. I don't expect the impact to be great - but do you think a super regional or college world series appearance has a positive impact on a school?

I could see NIL money being used by schools with lots of money as a way to boost these "other" sports - such as baseball, which have limited scholarships to begin with, but now with NIL and possibly the ability for the school to pay the players directly - give out more "scholarships" than the NCAA limits.

Example - Baseball.

Roster can be 40. And you can only give out scholarships to 32 players, but most schools give less than that.

So lets say your a school that divides out 20 scholarships to 30 players or more. Giving partial scholarships along the way. Why not now - give those 20 full scholarships to 20 players. And then use NIL money to give money - in the amount of tuition, room, board, etc - to the remaining roster. As a result - you have now fielded a team on full scholarship across the board.

This assumes 2 things - 1) You have the money to do it. 2) You have the mindset from the administration to do it.

On a similar note - we all know the impact Basketball and Football appearances have on school marketing and admissions, etc. Does baseball have an effect? The past 2 weekends - it has been all over ESPN, and it will really get highlighted next week when the World Series starts. I don't expect the impact to be great - but do you think a super regional or college world series appearance has a positive impact on a school?
It sure did/has for Oregon State.

Each summer, the team used to post a list of where all of the returning players were playing their summer ball. They haven't done so in each of the past two summers, so I put together a quick list of what I could find in case any of you are local and want to check them out.

Alaska Baseball League
  • Jordan Jaffe and RJ Rickabaugh - Chugiak Eagle River Chinooks
Appalachian League
  • Michael Elko - Burlington Sock Puppets

Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League
  • Joey Wilga - DC Grays
  • Paul Witkop (incoming freshman) - Alexandria Aces
  • PJ Hughes (incoming transfer) - Southern MD Senators
Futures Collegiate League
  • Jack Arcamone and Davis Wallon - New Britain Bees
  • Jackson Kraemer - Vermont Lake Monsters
Hamptons League
  • Aidan O'Keefe - North Fork Ospreys
New England Collegiate Summer League
  • Chase Topolski and Jason Shockley - Bristol Blues
  • Connor Larson - Valley Blue Sox
  • DJ Pacheco - Upper Valley Nighthawks
Perfect Game Collegiate Summer League
  • Trevor Dosenbach (incoming freshman) - Geneva Red Wings

Example - Baseball.

This is exactly what's going to happen without necessarily using NIL. Sports will have roster caps but no scholarship limits, so everybody can be on full scholarship if the school wants to fund it.

Each summer, the team used to post a list of where all of the returning players were playing their summer ball. They haven't done so in each of the past two summers, so I put together a quick list of what I could find in case any of you are local and want to check them out.

Alaska Baseball League
  • Jordan Jaffe and RJ Rickabaugh - Chugiak Eagle River Chinooks
Appalachian League
  • Michael Elko - Burlington Sock Puppets

Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League
  • Joey Wilga - DC Grays
  • Paul Witkop (incoming freshman) - Alexandria Aces
  • PJ Hughes (incoming transfer) - Southern MD Senators
Futures Collegiate League
  • Jack Arcamone and Davis Wallon - New Britain Bees
  • Jackson Kraemer - Vermont Lake Monsters
Hamptons League
  • Aidan O'Keefe - North Fork Ospreys
New England Collegiate Summer League
  • Chase Topolski and Jason Shockley - Bristol Blues
  • Connor Larson - Valley Blue Sox
  • DJ Pacheco - Upper Valley Nighthawks
Perfect Game Collegiate Summer League
  • Trevor Dosenbach (incoming freshman) - Geneva Red Wings
And a day later, they posted the list of summer ball. Must be reading the board haha!

I suspect if there's an issue with neighbors related to the lights, it's not about the lights themselves but about noise at night from games.

My dream for Pitt Field was to reorient it so that home plate would be near X-lot and left field closest to the lake, where home plate is now. That would give lots of room to build legit stands and a nice entranceway off the parking lot, and backing the outfield up to the dropoff would create a nice natural type of buffer. I guess the problem would be that the field would be facing in a direction relative to the sun that almost no fields are.

Reactions: MDspider8
There are hardly any houses around. And the night games would be minimal.

Plus - it could, and I say this with a grain of salt, invite more students to attend games. Imagine being able to attend a night game on Friday night before going out for the evening. Also gives the baseball team more options for makeups and rainouts.

I wonder how many A10 baseball teams currently have lights and play night games?

Reactions: Eight Legger
There are hardly any houses around. And the night games would be minimal.

Plus - it could, and I say this with a grain of salt, invite more students to attend games. Imagine being able to attend a night game on Friday night before going out for the evening. Also gives the baseball team more options for makeups and rainouts.

I wonder how many A10 baseball teams currently have lights and play night games?
Of course. But the NIMBYs complain about everything. They sure do enjoy walking their dogs or themselves through campus, though.

Of course. But the NIMBYs complain about everything. They sure do enjoy walking their dogs or themselves through campus, though.
Hold a bark in the park night. They can bring their dogs to a game. And with night games - should make it a littl brighter and easier to walk around at night.

Think about half of the A-10 facilities have lights. Not sure how many regularly schedule night games, but it at least gives you more flexibility.

Think about half of the A-10 facilities have lights. Not sure how many regularly schedule night games, but it at least gives you more flexibility.
Well - look at it this way. Our main competitor down the road has lights. Yes - they play at the Diamond. But in looking at schedule - they seem to play Friday games at night. Weekday games at night if team is more local (UVA, Liberty, etc) - maybe to allow fans an opportunity to attend. So I could see UR taking a similar approach if lights were built. Play a heavy dose of Friday night games, but then weekday games - could depend on the opponent. I would guess -out of the 30-35 home games, your looking 10 night games, maybe 15 at most?

Sannes is in the portal - that makes at least 7 guys who are transferring out so far. Thankfully, only one (Hentschel) was a major contributor.

Speaking of Hentschel, turns out he committed to Kentucky over the weekend. Congrats to him - that's a program that is clearly on the rise, evident by the fact they're currently in Omaha for the first time in history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT