ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Season

Yeah, they need more than Shulga to be the favorite. They're still at a net negative compared to last year's roster.

Fwiw w Shulga return Lunardi now has vcu in first four out. Admittedly U of R employee Lunardi is an idiot and espn is also missing the a10 AQ bc it’s espn. But still an early indication they’ll be picked as 1 of the favs.

These are the kind of metrics where I think it’s a nice confidence boost if it supports your team, but either way, something that should be taken with a massive grain of salt. There’s so much that goes into whether a transfer will be successful or not, predominately how they fit well in the coach’s system and play as a team player with everyone else. So these metrics that likely look at someone based solely off of discrete numbers, doesn’t give a complete picture of their ability in my opinion.

I think we did a good job getting recruits who have a lot of talent (either shown at lower levels looking to play up or who haven’t quite been showcased yet at a P5 level and looking to play down). Sure, there are players we wanted, but didn’t get. Every school deals with that though. Another way to think about it is, was that we got players that other good schools wanted as well. I trust that the staff was able to find talented players who will also play well in our system. We’ve built quite a good track record with transfers in recent years, which future transfers will see as well and continue to make us a more and more enticing place to play

Yeah, never paying attention to anything that guy says again. There's no way we aren't top-3. No one could objectively look at the transfers we brought in and the ones vcu brought in and suggest they did better than us, much less by the absurd margin he suggests.

Yeah, never paying attention to anything that guy says again. There's no way we aren't top-3. No one could objectively look at the transfers we brought in and the ones vcu brought in and suggest they did better than us, much less by the absurd margin he suggests.
This only adds fuel to the fire 🔥 Go Spiders 🏀🕸️🕷️

Reactions: urfan1
U could have 1 stud transfer & it would rank higher than 5 good ones. He explains it’s a quality over quantity thing. Assume he must have a couple of ours ranked fairly low.
Personally I’d have us higher.

But think back to that lasalle blogger a couple years ago. Maybe last time board was so upset re: offseason player rankings. He ranked league PG play going into season and had us last. Most of the board lost their minds incl Jaynel and Dji families. Turned out Tom Gola? was right.

Reactions: urfan1
looks like his math gives too much credit to where the transfer is coming from, and very little credit for success at lower levels.

for example, he breaks down Kentucky's transfer class. 7 of their transfers are in the top 100 of all the transfers. but their lowest rated guy, Ansley Almonor from Fairleigh Dickenson, is ranked 1113 ... which sounds horrible so I looked up his stats. 16.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, shot 49.4% from 2 and 39.4% from 3, 80% from the line. that's strong. but he played on a losing team in a bad conference so he's ranked 1113.

that also would explain why he has Apostolos as our highest ranked transfer.

looks like his math gives too much credit to where the transfer is coming from, and very little credit for success at lower levels.

for example, he breaks down Kentucky's transfer class. 7 of their transfers are in the top 100 of all the transfers. but their lowest rated guy, Ansley Almonor from Fairleigh Dickenson, is ranked 1113 ... which sounds horrible so I looked up his stats. 16.4 ppg, 5.1 rpg, shot 49.4% from 2 and 39.4% from 3, 80% from the line. that's strong. but he played on a losing team in a bad conference so he's ranked 1113.

that also would explain why he has Apostolos as our highest ranked transfer.
Well, if that is how he does his ranking than they are complete bullshit.

Contract extension for Bennett...

Contract extension for Bennett...

sad day for the Fire Bennett, Extend Mooney crowd

Yes, I am a little disappointed in that news, especially if he doesn't change his awful offense. Something tells me, while they might try to tweak things a little, we will still see the same walk it up the floor, use most of the clock, don't take the first open shot, don't run after forcing a turnover, don't value the 3 point shot, shoot more mid range 2s than anyone, slowest pace in college basketball. Makes them unwatchable to me, and when you combine that with 0 dance wins since their 2019 title, I would like to see a new coach with a new style. I don't see them getting another Jerome, Guy, and Hunter combination on the floor together, I think any deep tourney run is a thing of the past, and an occasional sweet 16 is now the ceiling for them with Bennett as coach. If, as a fan, I had very little interest in watching them last year, became frustrated with such a boring style the few times I did watch, and knew they had no chance at all to make any tourney run ( they obviously didn't even deserve a bid), I think it is very reasonable to want a change.

Many UVA fans are excited about the transfers they picked up. Well, their projected starting line up averaged 5.2, 12.3, 7.5, 2.1, and 3.4 a game last year. So, time will tell if they will score enough this season, and whatever, keep getting on me for my opinion here.

Stephen A. Smith as your backer on any argument usually means you need to re evaluate your argument. I say this as a Knicks fan.
Not a fan of him either, but just showing I wasn't completely alone. I did agree with him that time, and Pat Forde summed it up nicely as well.

Right, I can't believe they extended that loser. He's only taken them to the postseason 12 years in a row, won the ACC 6 times, and has a 73% winning percentage. Oh yeah, he won a Natty as well.
I love Tony Bennett, but what has he done since 2019? Sports is a "what have you done for me lately?" business and TB is a little lacking there.

Teams with UVa's resources shouldn't be losing to Furman. And he doesn't even win his title if the referee doesn't miss an obvious double-dribble.

I love Tony Bennett, but what has he done since 2019? Sports is a "what have you done for me lately?" business and TB is a little lacking there.

Teams with UVa's resources shouldn't be losing to Furman. And he doesn't even win his title if the referee doesn't miss an obvious double-dribble.
You mean 0-3 in the NCAA in 5 seasons?

1. Bennett's offense is horrible, and horrible to watch.
2. Typically, Bennett's defense is tremendous, and the reason for their sustained success as a program.
3. Bennett's recent record in the NCAA tournament is horrible, and UVA had no business being in the tournament last year. Anyone without a laptop could have told you that.
4. I hope we get to the point where we are firing coaches because we keep getting to the NCAA tournament but don't have much success when there. I would be totally fine if it were Chris Mooney who keeps getting us to the tournament on a yearly basis, and then we have to evaluate his ability to take the next step.

2. Typically, Bennett's defense is tremendous, and the reason for their sustained success as a program.
3. Bennett's recent record in the NCAA tournament is horrible, and UVA had no business being in the tournament last year. Anyone without a laptop could have told you that.
4. I hope we get to the point where we are firing coaches because we keep getting to the NCAA tournament but don't have much success when there. I would be totally fine if it were Chris Mooney who keeps getting us to the tournament on a yearly basis, and then we have to evaluate his ability to take the next step.
All good points, but with #4, if we were unwatchable because we had an offense like UVA's, I'm not sure I could enjoy 1st round exits that much. UVA had 7 games in the 40s last year. Yikes!!!

Mooney 3 ncaas in 20! years unless we go this season. A decade without NCAA bid. Underperform in A10 more than not. 9-25 vs. your intra city arch rival. Yet his next extension would be I think his 6th...at least. It's always extend extend extend Mooney. But of course fire the guy in Charlottesville. I don't get firing Bennett on a standalone basis. But framed within Mooney, it's 10 times as f'n strange.

Fire Bennett Extend Mooney

It will be interesting to see how UVA unfolds in the next few years. After the Natty, UVA was at the top of the mountain and Bennett was bringing in top level recruits. But prior to Bennett, UVA was an also ran ACC program for the better part of 20 years and he made them to an automatic NCAA tourney team. So in a sense he is a victim of his own success. UVA fan demands a Top 10 team but as of right now, UVA is reverting a little bit back towards their mean.

I agree with 4700 that UVA is a boring team to watch but at the end of the day, if you are winning ballgames, going to the NCAA, who cares. If Mooney had us playing games in the 40's and taking us into the NCAA nearly every year, I'd be pitching in for a statue of him outside the RC.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Ole Jer had us playing Xavier and Dayton and Temple in the 50s a bunch. The 40s in today's 3 point heavy world seems extreme. I haven't seen UVa to know if they're unwatchable, but in a vacuum the results he has posted seem a level ahead of Moon and the natty is like 10 levels up. So yeah, I don't understand the Fire Bennett crowd also supporting Moon, given the disparity in results. I understand the argument is he peaked and now is a 1st round upset waiting to happen, but how that argument - doesn't win enough in the NCAA since his peak - doesn't translate to UR as well is inconsistent. (btw I know the stats of the UR records since 2019, no need to rehash them yet again.)

UVA had the slowest pace in college basketball (again!!) last year. They were 356 in points per game. They were 322nd in 3 point attempts because Bennett doesn't value the 3 point shot, doesn't want his guys shooting 3s early in the clock, even if open, and instead wants to use the clock, which often ends up with a midrange 2, the worst shot to take in basketball. They don't run ever, even after getting a turnover. It's just incredibly boring watching them, and the last 5 years, all this has gotten them was 3 NCAA 1st round exits to Ohio, Furman, and Col St.

I get what Bennett has done. It is incredible what he has done there. They should put a statue up for him, and I really mean that.........but, I just don't see him changing his style much, and as a result, don't see them making any more tourney runs. So, combine a lack of hope with an incredibly boring style of basketball, and that is why I feel the way I do about thinking a change should be made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT