ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

Here is Dayton's Non con:

Nov. 4 St. Francis (PA)

Nov. 9 Northwestern

Nov. 12/13 Ball State

Nov. 25-27 Maui Inv. (N, Auburn, Colorado, Iowa St., Memphis, Michigan St., UNC, UConn)

Dec. 7 Lehigh

Dec. 14 Marquette

Dec. 17 UNLV

Dec. 20 Cincinnati (N)

Looks pretty good to me compared to what is known of ours so far.

let's see how that works out for them.
3 cupcakes and some really tough games. that certainly will be the toughest OOC in the A10.
plenty of opportunities for good wins. plenty of opportunities for losses.
fun schedule for Dayton fans.

very good schedule but if they go 8-5, well that’s what our team did last year against a much worse schedule. I’d rather have that record vs a good schedule than a blah one.

They still have 3 games to add it appears, presumably buy games at UD Arena.

would be interesting to see how they're ranked in the NET if that happens.
6-0 vs cupcakes. 2-5 vs very good teams.
if that puts them in good shape, then it's clearly the correct formula.

let's see how that works out for them.
3 cupcakes and some really tough games. that certainly will be the toughest OOC in the A10.
plenty of opportunities for good wins. plenty of opportunities for losses.
fun schedule for Dayton fans.
The old John Chaney strategy. Play the most difficult schedule possible. I really don't see the downside, if you have a capable team. This is going to help them greatly in the NET, the players I am sure are amped up for the challenge, and the fan base has to be excited as well. The difficulty of their OOC schedule will be talked about in Feb/March by all of the talking heads as well.

I think last year they went 3-2 vs Q1 1-0 Q2 6-0 Q3/4 in OOC.
That seemed to do ok…

Nov. 4 St. Francis (PA)

Nov. 9 Northwestern

Nov. 12/13 Ball State

Nov. 25-27 Maui Inv. (N, Auburn, Colorado, Iowa St., Memphis, Michigan St., UNC, UConn)

Dec. 7 Lehigh

Dec. 14 Marquette

Dec. 17 UNLV

Dec. 20 Cincinnati (N)

Very good schedule on their part. Obviously -= Maui helps them a lot, but they also supplement with with Cincy, UNLV, and Marquette, and Northwestern - they have a lot of games on there.

Reactions: urfan1
I don't know enough about Dayton this year and who their replacements are.
won't be shocked if they overscheduled though after losing Holmes, Brea and Elvis

Dayton went 10-2 OOC last year. 4-2 against top 100 teams and 3 more top 150 wins, making them 7-2 against the top 150.

We went 1-3 against top 100 and 1-2 against top 151, making us 2-5 against the top 151.

That is why Dayton's NET was so much better than ours last year. We just need to win more OOC, no matter who is on the schedule.

Well, same could be said for Cincy, Marquette and just about every team out there :). I think Dayton did well in portal.
Key, Conner and Alexander compared to Holmes, Brea and Elvis???
they lost a ton of shooting.

Anyway, I am a proponent of playing best you can play. That is the way the Gonzaga's, VCU's, St. Mary's and SDSU's of the world move up. I do realize it is harder to get the games now with the mega conferences and power team's lack of willingness, BUT the Dayton schedule shows the possibility. This is one the HC has to drive with his relationships in my opinion.

To 4700's point though, we do need to win the games we have in OOC. That was our big down fall last year, in addition to the thud after securing the co-championship.

Reactions: VT4700

Nov. 4 St. Francis (PA)

Nov. 9 Northwestern

Nov. 12/13 Ball State

Dec. 7 Lehigh

Dec. 14 Marquette

Dec. 17 UNLV

Dec. 20 Cincinnati (N)

I’d say that is definitely good enough to get them a top-15 NET ranking all season long, regardless of their final record, where they finish in the A-10 or how many road games they lose.

And on the other end of the scale is the Bonnie’s OOC schedule. I’ve mentioned before, but to me it isn’t the best strategy for us to try and schedule the hardest opponents possible for as many games possible because winning the games are still important. However winning against Q4 opponent also doesn’t help NET. The balance is in the middle and depending on the team’s caliber and chances of winning big games. Auburn plays Ohio State, Purdue, Maui invitational and probably has the hardest OOC schedule in the country. They have the talent where they could win a majority of those games. Dayton plays several top teams and balances with several winnable games. For us, I want to see no more than 2 top opponents (like Colorado and Florida last year). We’ve shown we can win these agains these teams (Iowa, Wisconsin, Kentucky, California) recently come to mind, but we also lose these games more often than we win. Our aim should be a 11-2 or 10-3 record going into conference play and a NET in the top 75. If we can do that and finish the A10 at 14-4 or 13-5 and have a record of 24/25-6/7 going into A10 tournament, I like our chances of an at-large. So the important thing is creating a schedule that allows us to do that. I say aim for about 3 Q1 opportunities (up to 2 against top 35 P5 teams), 5 Q2, 5 Q3 & 4. Right now, our schedule leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

they added 2 cupcakes (NM State and Western Michigan) and a DIII (Capital).
still an interesting schedule with 5 bottom dwellers and 7 tough games.

What was UR’s final reg season NET?

I ask because would having gone 10-3 OOC made much of a NET dent compared to 8-5? Maybe if the wins were UF and CU?

UR finished 15-3 last season and we saw firsthand how difficult that was and how many landmines like @GooMoos senior day, can torpedo you in the A10. Does going 10-3 and 14-4 make a big difference?

Tldr - would we have needed like 11-2 and 15-3 to have a good NET last year? Same question for this year (with current scheduling concerns?)

Beating Florida and Colorado would have been huge for the résumé in terms of eye test and Q1 record obviously, but it would probably only have boosted our NET fewer than 10 spots...from 73 to likely in the mid-60s.

question: with the narrowing of the field to eliminate at large bids for the A10 and MVC where the reg season winners are discounted - personally I thought Indiana St got screwed and we were properly assessed - what does it take to make the dance from the A10?

Groupthink has fully bought into the quads system, while ignoring the reality of the small difference between a win at Loyola or a win at Cinci, except that Cinci is a good win bc they get to lose a lot more games against better teams while Loyola doesn’t move the needle.

While far from perfect the old system at least acknowledged improvement. the idea that a team cannot improve and be a better team 4 months in than they were when they lost a few games in November bugs me. And the doubletalk where a team in P5 that wins like 2 tough games in conference wipes out any bad losses while teams that win top 10 conferences (the bulk of their schedule!) are viewed poorly - to me it’s an issue. They still lost the majority of those games as well as any bad games OOC.

If it persists should conferences just disappear for anyone outside P5? Just work together to schedule based on predicted strength each year?

I don’t know what the future holds but UR better figure out the scheduling math. Getting to 25 or 26 wins and being ignored for a bid is not appealing at all.

Beating Florida and Colorado would have been huge for the résumé in terms of eye test and Q1 record obviously, but it would probably only have boosted our NET fewer than 10 spots...from 73 to likely in the mid-60s.
Less than 10 spots? Colorado finished with a 25 NET and Florida 29. I think at least a 20 spot jump and a definite at large bid at 25-6 (25-7 after the A-10 tourney loss).

not sure if or how much Dayton will fall off this season, my guess is some. But I think most years they'd finish better than 2-5 vs. those very good teams. Maybe even this year. Granted the Maui is loaded and strengthens the schedule more than normal but Dayton gets in good MTEs every year.

u guys know what my take on this will be. I'd love to see us do what Dayton is doing. Too much upside. Like Dayton I think many years we'd do a little better than expected against against the harder teams too. I do think u can catch some bigger teams less locked in early in year. We could get the same OOC records but be much farther ahead due to big wins and SOS/NET. And watch out if 1 year u just crush it...then its seeding not bubble. Already proven we need the big wins to ever get into NCAA. the more p5 shots the better. so why not, we go to NCAA a little worse than 1 every 6 years under Moon. we know what our current approach has gotten us. u give us 6 years of hard national schedules I'm convinced we beat that. and u reap the other benefits (i.e. visibility, NIL $).

Dayton knows they can't rely on A10 and the OOC is how to do it. This is what UD's AD said about OOC schedule back in April...

"“Our schedule has to be elite,” Sullivan said, “and frankly our scheduling is what propelled our opportunity to get a No. 7 seed this year. We aim to do that every year.”

They get it. It would take a program/culture shift on our part imo.

Reactions: gospidersgo

I think NCAA should factor D2 or D3 games as the worst NET +1. I get that it's good for d2/d3 programs but nobody is doing it for the good of the game. It's obviously a thing now. Take & win 1 d3 game, it's better than winning a 300+ d1 game. Well that shouldn't be the case not when you have 360+ d1 teams out there, many looking for games. And it's good the ncaa committee doesn't recognize the non d1 win, however it doesn't matter because if your metrics r good enough that easily supercedes 1 less win anyway. Give it a real penalty and it changes. To me it's just makes no sense than u can play a non D1 game and not even take a hit to your SOS.

sman didn't u say u could see us playing a non D1 too this year? Agreed. I will not be surprised.

Less than 10 spots? Colorado finished with a 25 NET and Florida 29. I think at least a 20 spot jump and a definite at large bid at 25-6 (25-7 after the A-10 tourney loss).
No way to know for sure since it's not simply a measure of wins and losses and opponents, but I just checked Torvik's Teamcast simulator that somehow tries to approximate NET impacts and he estimates winning those two would have moved us from 73 to around 66 and still the 13th team out (up from 20th as he actually had us)

I'm a bit more optimistic than that and I do think it would have had us in the conversation for an at-large given the gaudy record and the fact we would have been 3–1 in Q1, but I wouldn't say we would have been a shoe-in by any means.

Dayton's schedule is awesome, no ifs, and or buts about it. The committee and the NET are going to look very kindly on them. They can go 3-4 in the tough games, finish the OOC 8-4 and will be in good shape. They've built themselves a healthy margin of error but not having to win the one or two marquee games on the schedule but getting 7 marquee games.

We don't have the cache of Dayton and certainly Dayton's run last year has helped as well, but this should be our goal for building an OOC schedule.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Dayton's schedule is awesome, no ifs, and or buts about it. The committee and the NET are going to look very kindly on them. They can go 3-4 in the tough games, finish the OOC 8-4 and will be in good shape. They've built themselves a healthy margin of error but not having to win the one or two marquee games on the schedule but getting 7 marquee games.

We don't have the cache of Dayton and certainly Dayton's run last year has helped as well, but this should be our goal for building an OOC schedule.
I'd be ecstatic if we pulled a home&home with any Big East team, let alone an upper tier one like Marquette. I don't know what needs to change on our side to make something like that happen.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
SLU killing their at large chances before the season starts. That might be the worst A-10 OOC schedule I have ever seen. 2 D2/D3 schools, some of the worst D-1 teams in Chicago State, no MTE, no P6 games, best game is probably at San Francisco.

They are supposed to be a contending team in the A-10 and this schedule does nothing to help raise the profile/NET of our league.

@ SF and @ Grand Canyon are their marquis games.
look at the home schedule! poor season ticket holders.
their season starts in January.

at the same time ... are we really feeling confident ours will look better?
we really need to land that Auburn game.

Reactions: gospidersgo
at the same time ... are we really feeling confident ours will look better?
we really need to land that Auburn game.
I'm not. The A-10 used to put a high priority on its members scheduling really difficult OOC, that seems to have gone by the wayside.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
The Quinnipiac and UMass Lowell games are their own MTE that they’re hosting.

Santa Clara might be okay, and Wichita and Wofford might be improved over last year, but yeah, not much to be excited about here.

dreadful. but maybe they can come into league play 12-1 or 13-0. A10 needs like 10 teams to do that to game the NET.

(again, unfortunately the B12 scheduling con also depends on a top 2-3 teams playing very good against tough schedules OOC to offer premium in conference win opportunities. So Dayton and...)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT