ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

JOC on the Noyes–Belmont connection. Says still no word on an MTE, and we're also hosting FGCU.

Well, it looks like we all have all of quad 4 cupcakes signed on. Hopefully, the rest of the schedule is Quad 1/2 opportunities. Right now, this leaves A LOT to be desired.

Well, it looks like we all have all of quad 4 cupcakes signed on. Hopefully, the rest of the schedule is Quad 1/2 opportunities. Right now, this leaves A LOT to be desired.
??? If you use last year's NETs, Charlotte finished 114 and Belmont 117. So, that would make @ Charlotte Q2 and Belmont at home Q3. We still have 8 more OOC games to schedule, and our OOC schedule pretty much always ends up more than acceptable to help with at large chances, but not surprising you want to be all negative (and wrong) about it only 5 games in.

last year's full OCC schedule came out 8/25.
the year before on 9/7.
if we really only have 5 games and no MTE booked as of today (7/25), that's concerning. our season ended 4 months ago. not sure who does scheduling, but I'd have called all top 200 NET teams in the eastern half of the US 4 times by now. hopefully we have some tentative agreements in place that just can't be announced yet.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
We have more finalized than 5. 6 if u include Auburn. Not worried bout that. Yesterday we didn’t know of FGCU. It’s true we definitely know publicly of less games at this time of year than the past tho. But teams r not often “announcing” these games anyway, until officially released. Some teams will, like bigger games or MTEs. But most r coming from sources. Last year we knew our whole schedule before UR announced it. I think it’s a byproduct of not much coverage or interest by outsiders (we really only have JOC) or the staff is just keeping things a little closer to vest for whatever reason. The MTE looks very problematic so I’m sure we r lacking a few games but also confident it’s not 7.

Reactions: spiderman
We have more finalized than 5. 6 if u include Auburn. Not worried bout that. Yesterday we didn’t know of FGCU. It’s true we definitely know publicly of less games at this time of year than the past tho. But teams r not often “announcing” these games anyway, until officially released. Some teams will, like bigger games or MTEs. But most r coming from sources. Last year we knew our whole schedule before UR announced it. I think it’s a byproduct of not much coverage or interest by outsiders (we really only have JOC) or the staff is just keeping things a little closer to vest for whatever reason. The MTE looks very problematic so I’m sure we r lacking a few games but also confident it’s not 7.
guess my concern is that I assume JOC just recently spoke with someone in the program for that article to mention the 5 games he listed. can't think of a good reason they'd hold back info if more games were agreed to, as they didn't hold back last year.

guess my concern is that I assume JOC just recently spoke with someone in the program for that article to mention the 5 games he listed. can't think of a good reason they'd hold back info if more games were agreed to, as they didn't hold back last year.

I can think of some reasons.

Also sure JOC gets some info from staff of course, both on record and off, and he scoops a few games, but I don't think it's a lot. Out of those 5 he named, 4 were known. W&M/Charlotte are previous established h&h. Belmont & VMI came from other media sources. I think last year majority came from other sources too. He wasn't told about Auburn which UR80s said from Collective call. We can call it a rumor but I believe it. Maybe still things to work out but they called out the game on a call. so obviously he wasn't told of that one by the program.

JOC gets nuggets on schedule, and he has broken big UR stories, maybe got FGCU here but I wouldn't read much into lack of other info. Because if we truly have only 5 games right now it's a disaster. I don't find that realistic at end of July.

Much of what JOC reports comes straight from official press conferences. At least during season. It's not like he's asking questions privately in a sit down. He gets Q&A emailed like to the AD occasionally too. But the bulk of his reporting and quotes comes from those Mooney press conferences. So possible he didn't speak to anyone within the program recently.

We have over 3 months. We should be fine. At least 2 more buy type home games should be expected. And we should be able to get a couple home and homes with quality mid majors like we have been doing. That would put us at 10 if Auburn is a game. That would leave a spot for a neutral spot Clemson type game and hopefully find an MTE to complete the schedule. I would wait at least a month or so before worrying too much.

Reactions: gcarter52
We have over 3 months. We should be fine. At least 2 more buy type home games should be expected. And we should be able to get a couple home and homes with quality mid majors like we have been doing. That would put us at 10 if Auburn is a game. That would leave a spot for a neutral spot Clemson type game and hopefully find an MTE to complete the schedule. I would wait at least a month or so before worrying too much.

well we don't have over 3 months to schedule. Maybe 6 weeks at best. August is most popular month to release non conf schedules. Idk exactly but I think a very high % of all d1 schools r done by mid Sept. But if I had to guess we're probably closer to having 10 already complete rather than 5-6.

The possible lack of a solid MTE screws up your strategy. We never ever get in the really good neutral ones like the top 1/3 of A10 regularly does, always strange to me, but we get in lesser tier ones. They come with a terrible home buy game, but u can mitigate that if you're minimizing the other bad home buy games. However if we're not pulling neutral P5 games for MTE do u rethink the whole approach. It maybe means taking another road game at a P5. Which I would take regardless over another home buy game or mid major H&H. It's really the only way to move the at large needle imo.

if D1docket is accurate, Davidson only has 3 games plus an MTE scheduled.
Duquesne only has 2 plus an MTE.
LUC has 3 plus an MTE.
UMass has 3 plus an MTE.

maybe scheduling is just a little slow this year.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
They shouldn’t be able to accept season ticket renewals until the schedule is complete. That would speed things up.

J/k

??? If you use last year's NETs, Charlotte finished 114 and Belmont 117. So, that would make @ Charlotte Q2 and Belmont at home Q3. We still have 8 more OOC games to schedule, and our OOC schedule pretty much always ends up more than acceptable to help with at large chances, but not surprising you want to be all negative (and wrong) about it only 5 games in.
Belmont and Charlotte aren't games the selection committee is going to look at and give us any type of credit for. Both of those will most likely go down as bad losses should we lose them, not much to gain by winning them. And they are our BEST games right now. So again, the current schedule leaves A LOT to be desired. I'm not sure why that would offend anyone, we have 5 games on the schedule right now, that I can't think of anyone would be excited about. You think any of the players are excited about any of these games either?

We do have time but of the remaining 8, probably at least 5-6 of them need to be Quad 1 or 2 opportunities.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
It would be nice to know who we are playing prior to ticket renewal

Belmont and Charlotte aren't games the selection committee is going to look at and give us any type of credit for. Both of those will most likely go down as bad losses should we lose them, not much to gain by winning them. And they are our BEST games right now. So again, the current schedule leaves A LOT to be desired. I'm not sure why that would offend anyone, we have 5 games on the schedule right now, that I can't think of anyone would be excited about. You think any of the players are excited about any of these games either?

We do have time but of the remaining 8, probably at least 5-6 of them need to be Quad 1 or 2 opportunities.
Well, you said they were all quad 4 cupcakes. I think there is very little chance Charlotte and Belmont end up Q4. And, yes, Q2 wins are key, regardless of the name.

Reactions: gospidersgo
It would be nice to know who we are playing prior to ticket renewal
Agree for the most part, but being a mid major usually means playing a bunch of lesser teams at home anyway, with maybe a couple good mid majors mixed in. The last few years we kind of already knew the type of teams we would be hosting before the schedule even came out. And, especially, now when most majors won't play at a mid major. I think Vandy and BC in the 2020 season were our last power conference teams we hosted, so I'm not sure what home OOC games would generate a lot of season ticket interest. I just don't see too many fans saying, "nice, we have No Iowa at home so I will renew now".

I hope we get some good p5 teams not the BC’s or the Cal’s of the world. Had two good ones last year with Colorado and Florida. We simply can’t go 7-5 again in non con and even think we have a chance at an at-large. The most important time of the year

if D1docket is accurate, Davidson only has 3 games plus an MTE scheduled.
Duquesne only has 2 plus an MTE.
LUC has 3 plus an MTE.
UMass has 3 plus an MTE.

maybe scheduling is just a little slow this year.

I believe those teams have more non-MTE games scheduled too. D1 Docket is pretty accurate for what it is publicly known - i.e. tweeted out by the Goodmans, Rothsteins, Rocco Miller, Made for March, that's where he sources the data, maybe a few others. Or if a school releasees their schedule. He's a curator of content. I think D1 Docket used to get a decent amount from FOIA requests to public schools but that's now Rocco or Made for March. So call it accurate for what he shows, but he's also missing plenty because he doesn't know about them, just like us. He's missing our FGCU game. Why? bc it just came out in the bottom of a Noyes article in the RTD. He'll add it when someone sends it to him or someone else tweets it. There have to be countless other games like that. All that said, yes things could still be a little slower. But imo not 7-8 games still to be scheduled slow.

We're about due for some of these so-so teams we schedule every year to actually exceed expectations for once instead of turning into 3-28 teams out of the blue.
I actually think William and Mary might be good enough to get into Q3 status for us. I think they made an excellent hire in Brian Earl. Just need them to get to 240 or better for Q3. I realize there is nothing great about a Q3 win, but the less Q4 wins the better.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I actually think William and Mary might be good enough to get into Q3 status for us. I think they made an excellent hire in Brian Earl. Just need them to get to 240 or better for Q3. I realize there is nothing great about a Q3 win, but the less Q4 wins the better.
We gotta beat them first VT. What happened last time we visited the tribe?

Well, you said they were all quad 4 cupcakes. I think there is very little chance Charlotte and Belmont end up Q4. And, yes, Q2 wins are key, regardless of the name.
What I actually said is "Well, it looks like we all have all of quad 4 cupcakes signed on." Which is a different statement that saying, all of our games our Quad 4 games. VMI, W&M, FGCU most likely quad 4 games. If we get an MTE, that often comes with a Quad 4 game attached with it. VMI is almost approaching a non D-1 game at this point.

Charlotte and Belmont may end up as decent games if we fill out the rest of our schedule with some nice Quad 1/2 opportunities. If Charlotte and Belmont are in anywhere near our best games as they are now, that would not be good. Hence why I said, the schedule right now leaves A LOT to be desired.

I wonder if the transfer portal is having an impact on scheduling for mid-major teams as it is hard to determine what team you will have and sign on to long-term scheduling deals with attractive schools, because from both sides - they are not sure what you will look like in a year or two. While this could occur in the past, with previous transfer rules - teams could look at a school and think - they are young, so in a year or two, they should be better and might be a good game on the schedule. But now, with the amount of transfers - hard to say - so maybe a lot of 1 game deals, and nothing more - which makes scheduling more difficult year to year. Wonder if this is happening and impacting not just us - but mid-majors in general.

Why? These games don’t propel us to an at large. Assuming Mooney coaches well
wins propel you to an at large. our schedule didn't hold us back last year. going 7-5 OOC held us back. we need to win.

BC was 81 last year and Cal was 128. those are solid games that we can also win. probably won't land big name power conference games often. I'd be fine with these.

Find the P5 frauds like Dayton did last year. Eminently beatable teams that will have an undeserved NET by year’s end. Committee has to respect wins against top 50 teams according its own metric, even if it those teams are secretly much worse than their NET number.

The problem with BC and Cal at those NET numbers are that they are basically the equivalent of a mid pack A10 win. They don’t get you much credit if you win, and they are absolutely held against you if you lose (even on the road.)

UCF was 17-15 with a 61 NET last year
Maryland and Penn State were both 16-17 with final NET in the 80's
Texas A&M was 20-14 with a 45 NET
Va Tech was 18-14 with a 60 NET, Florida State 17-16 with a 96 NET
Xavier 16-17 NET 64, Butler 17-14 NET 68

harvest some of these pretenders!
Agree - Butler and Xavier should be top targets, especially since they were once A10 opponents.

VA Tech simply because they are in state. I don't care if we have to play them in Blacksburg every single year, make it happen.

Maryland would be good - just because of proximity and they have a solid name, and maybe Penn State could be an option as you could entice Rhoades with a game back in Richmond to see family and friends every once in a while.

like I've said, I'd call every top 200 net teams and expecially all the high majors.
and I'm sure we have. it's not like you can just pick who you want to play.
I'd love the teams you mentioned ... but I'd also take BC and Cal.

wins propel you to an at large. our schedule didn't hold us back last year. going 7-5 OOC held us back. we need to win.

BC was 81 last year and Cal was 128. those are solid games that we can also win. probably won't land big name power conference games often. I'd be fine with these.

big wins do. u need big scalps. its not just wins but also the right wins. and u cant get those without playing the games. we were 23-8 last year b4 A10 tourney and not bubble at that time. if we beat Colorado and Florida instead of 2 others it's different. might let us have another loss somewhere else too. of course u have to win at some level no matter what, but varied depending on who u beat. when have we been in good positions or made it....years we beat Kansas, Purdue, Wisconsin. BC and Cal won't do that, although I'd like to play them too. but higher priority is targeting as many of the big boys ooc as we can imo. u can't game your way into ncaa at large, not from the A10. I'm convinced it will not work for us. dayton was the closest...but they beat 2 legit bubble teams.

Reactions: ManiBenton

Actually 8-5 OOC and all we needed to do was just beat BC, Wichita and No Iowa. No way would we have been left out after a 26-5 regular season. Like u said, we usually just need to win more. The schedule has always been fine for at large purposes.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Actually 8-5 OOC and all we needed to do was just beat BC, Wichita and No Iowa. No way would we have been left out after a 26-5 regular season. Like u said, we usually just need to win more. The schedule has always been fine for at large purposes.
not necessarily, look at Indiana state’s resume. Even with those hypothetical Richmond wins, they still don’t have a better resume. Those games don’t propel us into an at large. Plus to disappointment in the tourney.

Good point.
When I'm trying to decide whether to buy tickets, I need to know the dates and times. My work schedule and other obligations often conflict with basketball games. So I'm not about to buy tickets if I can't go to most of the games.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT