TJC C

Bench
Gilyard
Schweitz
Woolfolk
Kendall A
Atkinson
Sir Cedric

I would load up on the great guards we have had. We have had no defense or rebounding the past 20 years, so I would concentrate on scoring and low turnovers.

23: Knew I had some of these in the archives, but not sure this one was in your five by Kevin, but agree he had some spectacular ones. This one was against Fordham.

Go Spiders!
Kevin Smith is the best dunker in our history, in my opinion. He had consistent draw dropping dunks. Here are a couple from a GW game. I wish I could find the Virginia Tech ones on YouTube, that used to be out there, those were my favorites. The alley oop at that Tech game was kind of the coming out party for that group of players that they were going to be really good. And they were.

Here are the game highlights from the Tech game. Two big Smitty dunks, highlighted by the alley oop from Gonzo. There is a package of TV highlights out there that have better views than our highlight package, but I can't find them. Enjoy

Reactions: gospidersgo
I have a vague memory of K. Smith going 6-6 in that game and having a very high FG% at that point in his career, and thinking he was going to be a great mid-range shooter and slashing/dunking threat for the Spiders. It never really worked out offensively the rest of the way though.

Starting
Anderson PG
McCurdy SG
Burton SF
Newman PF
TJC C

Bench
Gilyard
Schweitz
Woolfolk
Kendall A
Atkinson
Sir Cedric

I would load up on the great guards we have had. We have had no defense or rebounding the past 20 years, so I would concentrate on scoring and low turnovers.
Don’t you have a A10 DPOY on the bench? And one of the only players drafted from Richmond not on your team… laughable

Don’t you have a A10 DPOY on the bench? And one of the only players drafted from Richmond not on your team… laughable
Kevin Anderson was a better all around player and leader than the DPOY and your other NBA draftee was very mediocre until his last year. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Kevin Anderson was a better all around player and leader than the DPOY and your other NBA draftee was very mediocre until his last year. 😂
You’re talking about the 4x all conference guy and the one who has the most assists in school history… along with 2k points. 😂 Not sure if all around is what you’re going for but maybe he does more things better.
You’re also starting Tyler Burton. Who also has only had one good year which is the same as Harper. 😂 But whatever helps you validate your opinion K

You’re talking about the 4x all conference guy and the one who has the most assists in school history… along with 2k points. 😂 Not sure if all around is what you’re going for but maybe he does more things better.
You’re also starting Tyler Burton. Who also has only had one good year which is the same as Harper. 😂 But whatever helps you validate your opinion K

They are both all timers & both have a case for the hypothetical solo spot at PG but can u really quibble with someone taking KA? That 4x for Gilyard came in 5 years. Well KA was also 4x in 4 years, if you count being A10 freshman of year. Technically probably doesn't count but that's a pretty big award. He's also our only Atlantic 10 Player of Year. And finished 2nd scoring all time (Golden surpassed with 22 more games), had a couple NCAAs and a S16 and his name in rafters (Gilly will too). I didn't make a list but if I did think KA my choice too. maybe I don't want to anger the KA bobblehead I see daily on my desk. If someone goes Gilyard I get it, just seems strange imo to have a beef with KA over him.

*edit: sorry TJ won A10 POY too

Last edited:
They are both all timers & both have a case for the hypothetical solo spot at PG but can u really quibble with someone taking KA? That 4x for Gilyard came in 5 years. Well KA was also 4x in 4 years, if you count being A10 freshman of year. Technically probably doesn't count but that's a pretty big award. He's also our only Atlantic 10 Player of Year. And finished 2nd scoring all time (Golden surpassed with 22 more games), had a couple NCAAs and a S16 and his name in rafters (Gilly will too). I didn't make a list but if I did think KA my choice too. maybe I don't want to anger the KA bobblehead I see daily on my desk. If someone goes Gilyard I get it, just seems strange imo to have a beef with KA over him.

No beef I just don’t know if KA does more things better than Gilly, that’s all. And that’s what K said. It sucks they both play the same position, but just depends what you want out of your point guard.

Reactions: gcarter52

PomPom just has SpiderK derangement.

Last edited:
No beef I just don’t know if KA does more things better than Gilly, that’s all. And that’s what K said. It sucks they both play the same position, but just depends what you want out of your point guard.

Fair but u first questioned it B4 that…”Don’t you have a A10 DPOY on the bench?”….yeah he did but it’s because KA was there.

You must’ve not watched KA play. This is an easy one.

I can't imagine any of our coaches with KA and Gilyard on a roster not deciding to play them together.

The original post covered 2 subjects. First will TJ, Grant and Jacob all replace players on the All-Time Richmond team when it gets updated? Second, what is the all-time starting lineup? I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on the 2nd question, which brought back a lot of good memories. Is it fair to say that everyone agrees that Newman and TJ should be in the starting 5?

Are we really debating that Gilly was a better player than KA. Gilly was a great player for us and he hit some big shots for us in our A-10 run and in the Iowa game. Kevin Anderson made FAR more big plays throughout his career. He was the alpha for 4 years, he wasn't giving up his playing making abilities to Gonzo, like Gilly did to Blake.

Are we really debating that Gilly was a better player than KA. Gilly was a great player for us and he hit some big shots for us in our A-10 run and in the Iowa game. Kevin Anderson made FAR more big plays throughout his career. He was the alpha for 4 years, he wasn't giving up his playing making abilities to Gonzo, like Gilly did to Blake.
Once again, all I said was that I’m not sure KA was more “all around” than Gilly, like K claimed. Not saying one was better than the other. Blake was also a lot better than Gonzo was, so it makes sense KA didn’t.

I have KA a little ahead because of more big wins. but it's a team game.
in Gilly's case ... he shot better from 2, better from 3, better from the foul line, had more assists per game, and more steals per game.

both are greats.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Once again, all I said was that I’m not sure KA was more “all around” than Gilly, like K claimed. Not saying one was better than the other. Blake was also a lot better than Gonzo was, so it makes sense KA didn’t.
I'm thinking you didn't watch KA and Gonzo play much.

Reactions: ur2K and spider23
Gilly was great - but I have a hard time putting him near KA when his first two seasons as a team were terrible.

Can't say I agree with this opinion at all. Don't think the stats support it, either.
Gonzo was a big guard and like Blake was a streaky shooter and also fearless. He was a tough
nosed defender like Blake, but more like Goos in that he covered big guards and small forwards. In my
own humble opinion, Gonzo became a more disciplined player then Blake. But in fairness to Blake he was
the primary one on our team who was best at creating a shot when time was about to expire.

2 time all A10 supports it. That’s more validation than anything.
But the numbers do support it quite easily.
A We were a 7 seed in the NCAA, Gonzo's senior year. We were ranked 24th in the AP at the end of the season. We were 13-3 in conference that year, an A-10 that also had two other Top 25 programs in Temple and Xavier that year. In addition to being 8th on our all time scoring list, Gonzo was also a lockdown defender, wanted the balls in his hands at the end of games, and closed out many games with that ball.

Look, I really liked Blake Francis, he was a baller and a great player in his own right, but again I don't think you saw either KA or Gonzo play, cause if you did, you wouldn't be making silly comparisons like this.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
KA/Gonzo was a very very good tandem. Like I said on another post, if we got a little different draw Gonzo's senior year, think we could have made some noise that year. Francis was good, great warrior, but if I was ranking the four guards in order would probably be 1) KA 2) Gilly 3) Gonzo 4) Francis. All were quite good. All were good defenders too. Ranking as defenders would probably go 1) Gilly 2) Gonzo 3) Francis 4) KA

Reactions: VT4700
2 time all A10 supports it. That’s more validation than anything.
But the numbers do support it quite easily.
The 2x A-10 doesn't hold as much weight for me, as you're comparing two very different conferences. Xavier and Temple were both Top 25 programs; there was more competition for the spots as 97 mentioned.

Maybe you're right and the numbers support it quite easily.
Player APlayer B
Effective FG%53.4%50.9%
True Shooting %56.3%53.9%
Points Produced (not scored) (best season)479395
Rebound %7.1%4.1%
Assist %13.5%12.6%
Steal %3.3%2.2%
Turnover % in final two years11%10.5%
Win Share in final two years10.3 (22.3% of wins during period)4.5 (11.8% of wins during period)
Win Share per 40 in final two years.150 & .181.126 & .112
Freethrow Rate33%22%

Player A is Gonzo. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion that Blake was "a lot better than Gonzo," but the numbers certainly don't support it.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
The 2x A-10 doesn't hold as much weight for me, as you're comparing two very different conferences. Xavier and Temple were both Top 25 programs; there was more competition for the spots as 97 mentioned.

Maybe you're right and the numbers support it quite easily.
Player APlayer B
Effective FG%53.4%50.9%
True Shooting %56.3%53.9%
Points Produced (not scored) (best season)479395
Rebound %7.1%4.1%
Assist %13.5%12.6%
Steal %3.3%2.2%
Turnover % in final two years11%10.5%
Win Share in final two years10.3 (22.3% of wins during period)4.5 (11.8% of wins during period)
Win Share per 40 in final two years.150 & .181.126 & .112
Freethrow Rate33%22%

Player A is Gonzo. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion that Blake was "a lot better than Gonzo," but the numbers certainly don't support it.
So what were the points, assists, and steals averaged in the two seasons? Also interesting in some catogories you chose to use 1 year in comparison to 2 years… I wonder why.
And since you’re doing advanced analytics, do them for KA and Gilly. I’d be interested to see what them numbers support there.

Gonzo had more assists and steals, Blake had more points (and took 14.3 shots per game to Gonzo's 11).

In case you'd like to do some of the research...

Not sure how many more ways you want to look at it, but as I previously mentioned, your notion that Blake was "far better" just isn't supported by the facts.
The assists are identical. Come on 05. Rebounds obviously go to Gonzo but points go to Blake, so what’s more important between the 2.
You also mentioned SOS and implied it favored Gonzo, when it actually didn’t. You even brought up a per40, did you see Blake’s per40? And I’m assuming you also didn’t do the advanced analytics on the other two?

We can have our different opinions, but the truth of the matter is one guy was a top 15 player in the conference the only two years he was at UR. While one guy was top 15 once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT