ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

at the same time ... are we really feeling confident ours will look better?
we really need to land that Auburn game.

we need like 4 Auburns. But I'm confident it will look better than SLU. If not, that would be a disgrace. Because while our schedules really need to be much stronger, they are not garbage. Half our ooc schedule isn't publicly known which is rare for this time of year, and obviously any MTE the backbone of ooc scheduling looks bleak, but I'd still be surprised if we don't have good games lined up just not announced.

Avila vs Avila ...
200.webp

Reactions: gospidersgo
as for MTE's, apparently you can just invite any 3 teams to play at your place. don't have to fly to the Bahamas or anything.

Yep, that was the deal with our MTE at Kentucky in 2020. Little bit bigger arena though.

guess my point is ... why are we waiting to get invited to an MTE?
we've got a heck of a lot better venue than Brown.

Reactions: urfan1
Typically, the host is the best program in the event, and I'm sure our goal has been to end up facing other quality teams who wouldn't want to come to UR.

Sure, we could have hosted our own MTE and ended up like SLU with a couple of Q3/Q4 games, but nobody would be excited by that. Is that better than nothing though? Because all we've got are crickets.

guess my point is ... why are we waiting to get invited to an MTE?
we've got a heck of a lot better venue than Brown.

Those kind of MTEs r not brand new. But lot more common when they changed the MTE rules. It used to be more games played in MTE to get the max 31. It's been just 2 for a few years. Hurt some access. Plus only so many destination venues. At this point, us hosting a weak field 2-game MTE is probably the leader in the clubhouse. but have u seen the teams that aren't in a MTE? The field we'd get would be weak too. But I expect we have to be in 1 because otherwise u can only schedule 29 games total, I believe that's still the rule. Maybe a MTE field has been reported wrong, let's hope so otherwise it looks like we messed up.

yes there are very few good teams not in an MTE yet.
but you could still put together a tournament with 3 of the following team that at least had decent NETs last year.
Hofstra (112)
Lousiana Tech (99)
Cornell (95)
Morehead St (106)
Samford (74)
Chattanooga (140)
Cal (128)

I'm giving it one more week before I go into wtf mode about the schedule.

Not quite sure why we can't get into good MTEs or good games - last year we were exactly the team you want, one that played mediocre ball OOC so you had a good chance to beat us, but then went on a great run in conference making your OOC win better every week. Everyone should want to schedule teams like that.

Another day in the crazy world of A10 basketball....George Mason was supposed to start an international trip to the Bahamas today. According to some online rumblings, the entire thing ended up being a scam. They showed up to the airport and no flights were booked, accomodations were never made, games had never been scheduled, etc. Some of the program donors etc. had already flown to Nassau. There's some chatter on the Mason Forums and A-10 twitter about it. Pretty crazy situation and not sure how they let it happen...

Last edited:
I'm giving it one more week before I go into wtf mode about the schedule.

Not quite sure why we can't get into good MTEs or good games - last year we were exactly the team you want, one that played mediocre ball OOC so you had a good chance to beat us, but then went on a great run in conference making your OOC win better every week. Everyone should want to schedule teams like that.

forget getting into a good MTE, we just need to get into any MTE at this point 😫

Not a whole lot for Loyola to hang their hat on. San Francisco neutral is good, and South Florida home and Princeton away should be solid.

3 games at Diamond Head will probably include some decent teams but no huge names...Charleston, Charlotte, Hawaii, Murray State, Nebraska, Oakland, and Oregon State are the others in the field.

But most of their home schedule is just brutal... likely 6 Q4s and a non-Di in there.

When the pretty boys have squeezed the “smaller” schools into only receiving auto conference bids and these auto conference bids whip their pretty butts in the NCAA tourney, things will change. They’ll be scatching their raw behinds wanting to know why they didn’t know these teams were so strong.

Let's aspire to greatness, not to be like rest of the A10, because the alternative is toooo hard and we can't shoot for the moon. Pun intended.
I hear u, 23. Trust me, I want us to be great just like you do. I think we might have a much better chance now thanks to NIL and the way the portal works. And I want no part of some of these A-10 schedules I am seeing. I don't want a loaded schedule, but would like to see one close to ones we usually end up with, with the close being a little better schedule than usual, not a little worse. And, not as many awful 300+ teams we sometimes see. So, to be a little better than usual, we really need to find some good and great games. It is getting late and is concerning right now.

St. Joseph’s has a nice schedule. 4 p5’s including 1 at home (nova) & another essentially home at the Palestra (VA Tech) so it can be done. Then a good MTE with cuse Texas & TTech. Plus some solid mids in Princeton & Charleston & I assume Temple/Drexel in big 5 classic.

That is a good SJU schedule. If they can go 11-2 and pull off some high profile wins, like 2-1 vs Nova/Texas/TTech, they become one of the teams that becomes a very good in conference win.

Spiders really need to get Wake back on the schedule yearly. 42 NET last year despite being 2-8 vs Quad 1 and only winning 1 game on the road in Quads 1 & 2. That's a winnable game at the Robins Center every other year if they perform like that annually.

In 2023 they were an okay team with a NET boosted by the ACC heavyweights - exactly the type of team you want to schedule if you're an A10 contender.

Right now based on these A10 OOC schedules we are seeing, A10 really needs Dayton and Saint Joe's to win a LOT in the OOC.

URI was the only other A-10 team besides us not previously known to be in an MTE. Well, they've got one. Don't know who else is in it though. SLU was supposed to be in it and pulled out to host their own lame one, so that opened up a slot for URI. Cincinnati was initially in it but pulled out. I don't see any other names associated with it.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
The last update on the Jacksonville Classic website and Twitter account is talking about the 2023 field. Seems odd that you would have an MTE with teams scheduled but not be promoting it and trying to sell tickets.

The more of these coming out, the more it seems like all of the P6 leagues are following the Big 12 roadmap this year. Only play each other or play a bunch of Quad 4 cupcakes at home. Looks like a concerted effort to starve out the high quality mid majors from opportunities to get resume building wins. Maybe I am reading things wrong here.

URI was the only other A-10 team besides us not previously known to be in an MTE. Well, they've got one. Don't know who else is in it though. SLU was supposed to be in it and pulled out to host their own lame one, so that opened up a slot for URI. Cincinnati was initially in it but pulled out. I don't see any other names associated with it.

The last update on the Jacksonville Classic website and Twitter account is talking about the 2023 field. Seems odd that you would have an MTE with teams scheduled but not be promoting it and trying to sell tickets.
Looks like last year had 8 teams that were split into 2 groups of 4 teams. Mason was in it along with South Dakota State, Charlotte, and UCF. Not a bad 4 team tournament group. Will see who will join this year. Not a lot of teams left.

2023 Jacksonville Classic: https://www.jacksonvilleclassic.com/

2024-2025 MTE's: https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/...nts-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

The more of these coming out, the more it seems like all of the P6 leagues are following the Big 12 roadmap this year. Only play each other or play a bunch of Quad 4 cupcakes at home. Looks like a concerted effort to starve out the high quality mid majors from opportunities to get resume building wins. Maybe I am reading things wrong here.
I think you're probably right. Formula was already shown on how to game the system. Teams get a hyperinflated NET by beating a bunch of cupcakes by 50 points OOC. Then everyone in the conference has a high NET when playing each other so every game will be Q1 or Q2 win/loss. Even if a team this year like UCF finishes conference play at 7-11, if they go 11-2 OOC and have a record of 18-13, will still get looks for an at-large because of the Big 12's conference reputation and high NET.

Only way I feel us high mid-majors could still get a good non-conference schedule is having all the best mid-major conferences (A10, MWC, AAC, WCC, MVC) have more scheduling agreements with one another. Bring back the A10-MWC challenge and do the same with the other conferences. Sadly, looks like that ship has sailed this year.

MTEs usually won't announce anything official (except maybe dates but sometimes not even that) until the entire field has been confirmed, so that part isn't unusual if they're still trying to firm things up.

The fact it's so late and there's been essentially no other leaked info about it since SLU and Cincy pulled out is unusual.

And if they're still trying to land a few more decent teams to match up with URI, that bodes even more poorly for us as we look for dance partners of our own.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
I think you're probably right. Formula was already shown on how to game the system. Teams get a hyperinflated NET by beating a bunch of cupcakes by 50 points OOC. Then everyone in the conference has a high NET when playing each other so every game will be Q1 or Q2 win/loss. Even if a team this year like UCF finishes conference play at 7-11, if they go 11-2 OOC and have a record of 18-13, will still get looks for an at-large because of the Big 12's conference reputation and high NET.

Only way I feel us high mid-majors could still get a good non-conference schedule is having all the best mid-major conferences (A10, MWC, AAC, WCC, MVC) have more scheduling agreements with one another. Bring back the A10-MWC challenge and do the same with the other conferences. Sadly, looks like that ship has sailed this year.
It seems like as a conference we may have been caught flat footed. These schedules coming out with the exception of Dayton and I think VCU has a nice schedule as well are really bad. Coming off a first place finish in the league, I'm hoping that we can cash on that by getting some decent games, but time keeps on ticking by here and nothing yet.

Reactions: spiderstudent17
We're now one of just seven teams from the top 10 conferences to not be linked to or officially announced as in an MTE.

AAC: Rice, Tulsa, UTSA
A-10: UR
MVC: Indiana State, Southern Illinois
WCC: Pepperdine

And we're one of 57 teams in all of D-I to not have word on an MTE yet.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT