ADVERTISEMENT

What changes, if any?

MrTbone

Head Coach
Apr 27, 2005
So with CM on leave and Peter Thomas assuming interim control, curious what changes anyone might expect to see.

The most interesting things to me would be A) any starting lineup change and B) more minutes for Roche.

I get it but, possible to hold off on this? Maybe post-game analysis with a, "I wish..."? Or 24 hours at least?

Just out of respect.
Yes, out of respect, maybe a couple of games should be canceled. God speed Coach Mooney

So with CM on leave and Peter Thomas assuming interim control, curious what changes anyone might expect to see.

The most interesting things to me would be A) any starting lineup change and B) more minutes for Roche.

I’m sure on many ppl minds & I don’t think u have to wait 24 hrs to ask it. My feeling is we won’t see much change. 1. Because hard to make significant change w 4 games left in reg season. Roster is the roster. 2. If we saw significant change what does that say? It means either Mooney didn’t listen to his asst suggestions or his assistants were not strong enough to convince him or maybe didn’t even bring it up. And if significant changes worked…oh boy.

Now we could certainly see some minor adjustments in pt. That could be game flow as much as anything. So it will be interesting nonetheless. What we might see & we all really hope to see is the team rallying around each other and Coach Mooney.

Reactions: urfan1

as far as B goes, Roche just played 36 minutes against Loyola and 28 minutes against LaSalle.

I say Mooney principles, which the team has worked on all year, but possible different game management.

Let the Peter Thomas era begin. First and foremost - I hope Mooney gets well soon, but I think safe to assume he will be out until at least A10 tourney if not longer. I would not expect any starting line-up changes, but could maybe see Thomas giving Roche or someone like Walz more time if needed. What will be interesting to see is how the guys on the team respond? Do they use this as a rallying point - get behind coach Mooney and play some inspired basketball? Or do they feel their coach is gone and they come out slow and confused?

There won't be many changes. Thomas is coming in temporarily to run things, not in an "interim" basis like you would have if a coach retired or was fired. He will do what he thinks Mooney would have done in the same situation.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I guess I would compare it to housesitting for a friend for a month. You're not going to go in and rearrange all the furniture, paint the walls and redesign things. You're just going to manage things so that they are in the same condition when your friend comes back.

It would be different if you were buying that house from your friend.

Reactions: urfan1 and DTSpider
I guess I would compare it to housesitting for a friend for a month. You're not going to go in and rearrange all the furniture, paint the walls and redesign things. You're just going to manage things so that they are in the same condition when your friend comes back.

It would be different if you were buying that house from your friend.
I hate analogies, they always fail. What if you know your friend is disorganized and might benefit from you putting things away in some sorted order?

I get your point of course, just saying I think people have their own way of doing things and tend to react that way, not say, “what would XX do.”

That's fine, just giving you my thoughts. And in your scenario, I would say it's not my place to decide how my friend lives.

More importantly, why are you friends with someone who is that disorganized that you would have to rearrange their house?

Reactions: bullfrog91
More importantly, why are you friends with someone who is that disorganized that you would have to rearrange their house?
Fair point, funnily enough a real scenario.

I’m simply articulating that clearly stewardship is the intent, but it’s hard for people to suppress their own instincts.

Reactions: nathanw19
That's fine, just giving you my thoughts. And in your scenario, I would say it's not my place to decide how my friend lives.
Now if you were going to housesit for 6 months, would you organize supplies you were going to use during your stay as you normally would or as the house owner would.

just to see how far we can stretch this analogy…

What if you rearrange the furniture while he's gone, don't tell him you did it, then put it all back the way it was just before he gets home?
That seems pretty harmless as long as you don’t scuff the floor. And maybe vacuum.

We got 4 games left - if we can go 2-2 the rest of the way, then I would say we are right where we were before Mooney went out.

But maybe Mooney leaving provides a spark and rallies the players and maybe we can upset VCU.

Unfortunately my gut says we go 1-3 the rest of the way. I think we have digressed
and offensively teams have figured us out.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think we lose to VCU and SLU, but a good barometer will be the St. Joes and Mason games. Both teams right next to us in standings. We loss to Mason on the road early this year, but it was close - so I think maybe we get them at home. St. Joes - they have been terrible the last few years, but have surprised to a 7-8 league record. Since game is in Philly - I think we struggle, but that is typically a game you would think we should win. But I got a feeling St. Joes might be playing for better seeding and that game might mean more to them.

“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers"

Reactions: SpiderK
We got 4 games left - if we can go 2-2 the rest of the way, then I would say we are right where we were before Mooney went out.

But maybe Mooney leaving provides a spark and rallies the players and maybe we can upset VCU.
We've one 1 road game all year, 1. VCU and SLU are both better than us and we really haven't beaten anyone better than us all year either. I would like to remind you that VCU prevented us from basically initiating our offense the entire game, so not sure how that chances.

So, this strikes me as wishful thinking. Maybe there is some type of rally around the flag effect with Mooney or maybe Peter Thomas does something un Mooney like in his game plan for these games though, which would be very interesting if it were to occur.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
We've one 1 road game all year, 1. VCU and SLU are both better than us and we really haven't beaten anyone better than us all year either. I would like to remind you that VCU prevented us from basically initiating our offense the entire game, so not sure how that chances.

1-9 on the road for the season is truly horrific, can't imagine righting that ship at VCU.

Thomas better do what he thinks is best. Trying to behave like someone else won’t work, and like the situation or not Thomas is auditioning for a better job.

Thomas better do what he thinks is best. Trying to behave like someone else won’t work, and like the situation or not Thomas is auditioning for a better job.
Good post and good advice.

However, I’m not expecting any noticeable changes. It would really surprise me if it plays out to the contrary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT