ADVERTISEMENT

What changes, if any?

Thomas better do what he thinks is best. Trying to behave like someone else won’t work, and like the situation or not Thomas is auditioning for a better job.
I think that you have offered some sound advice to Peter Thomas. HOWEVER, I just watched the pre-game presser that someone else posted in another thread. Based upon that interview, I don't expect changes with Thomas in charge.

Thomas's demeanor, thoughts, and words mimicked Mooney. He even used the 'for sure" line that Mooney often uses to agree with a question. One reporter asked Thomas if the team was on "autopilot" since the team had a lot of experienced players and had played a lot of games? Thomas readily agreed, indicating that he thought that the team would be well served (my words not his) to stay the course.

I have thought that the team might have a real good chance to rally for the St. Louis game due to Mooney's situation. But, if the plan is to remove the emotion and go with the same-ole, same-ole, the chances of losing this one goes way up.

I have thought that the team might have a real good chance to rally for the St. Louis game due to Mooney's situation. But, if the plan is to remove the emotion and go with the same-ole, same-ole, the chances of losing this one goes way up.
I had similar thoughts watching the PT presser. I do think the players could have their own ideas and emotions. But yes, it seemed very "stay the course" , which of course has not been super this year. I'll be very interested to watch this one tonight. Hoping the players are pumped up, and play with energy and confidence.

Reactions: gospidersgo
No surprise, though. Thomas was given the keys to the Caddy for a few weeks. He's not going to drag-race it or put hydraulics on it and drive to a different part of town. He's going to drive it the way it's been driven, where it's been driven, and the way he was taught to drive it by the owner, then give it back in one piece.

No surprise, though. Thomas was given the keys to the Caddy for a few weeks. He's not going to drag-race it or put hydraulics on it and drive to a different part of town. He's going to drive it the way it's been driven, where it's been driven, and the way he was taught to drive it by the owner, then give it back in one piece.

But is there furniture in the back of the Caddy?

Ferris Bueller joyride, anyone?

joyride-ferrisbueller.gif

Agreed - don't see PT making crazy changes. Maybe his sub pattern might be a little different, but even that will likely end up in the same minutes for most players.

Of course the game plan can’t change but so much. I would expect some in game decisions to change and I don’t think Coach Pete should say “WWMD” (what would Mooney do). However, based on his interview it does seem like the interim coach has been well schooled by his mentor (as others have mentioned), so maybe it will be more similar than different.

I mean - what do people expect, PT to roll out there with a whole new starting line-up or break out a 1-3--1 trapping defense, or move to a more run and gun offense?

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
For the love of god, the answer to question of is your team on "autopilot" is never an affirmative. The team could be 22-3 and the answer to the auto pilot question would still be a "heck no". When the team is 2-6 in the last 8, has won 1 game on the road all year, this is a question you need to hit out of the park, with a hell no, we are not on auto pilot, in fact we are the exact opposite of auto-pilot right now, trying everything we can do to right our season as we head into March.

It's more like a late 80's model Buick that leaks a little oil, will leave you stranded from time to time, the interior smells of stale cigarette smoke, but yes your analogy holds. Even if he desired to put hydraulics on it, everyone is gonna know he is driving his dads beater around town anyway.

I mean - what do people expect, PT to roll out there with a whole new starting line-up or break out a 1-3--1 trapping defense, or move to a more run and gun offense?

No & I don't think anyone has come close to suggesting that anyway. To me if we saw any significant change it's just an indication PT wasn't a believer in what Mooney was previously doing. So that won't happen. Maybe we see some minor adjustments...idk for instance could we see less of the big lineup w the 2 bigs out there, or maybe w Jason Nelson presumably back from injury does he get back in the mix more, remember he wasn't playing much the couple games pre-injury. If anything we hope we just play better, which may have nothing to do with game strategy, but just the team being more focused or motivated from an event like this.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Right, Thomas wants a job on next year's staff, I assume. Doing the exact opposite of what Mooney has been doing is probably a pretty good way to threaten that opportunity. That's nothing against Mooney, it's just human nature. If you promote an employee to handle responsibilities that you have had for a long time and the first thing he or she does is change everything you had put in place, you're most likely going to take it personally, regardless of whether you should.

For the love of god, the answer to question of is your team on "autopilot" is never an affirmative. The team could be 22-3 and the answer to the auto pilot question would still be a "heck no". When the team is 2-6 in the last 8, has won 1 game on the road all year, this is a question you need to hit out of the park, with a hell no, we are not on auto pilot, in fact we are the exact opposite of auto-pilot right now, trying everything we can do to right our season as we head into March.

Tbf to PT I didn't take it that way. U might just be replying to another's comment but I saw the presser. And I've bagged on plenty of Mooney answers in these things where I think justified. But in this context the question was about the process of getting ready for an opponent, that the players have been through lot of scouts already, have vet guys, that the process doesn't change much in such a transition this far in season. Maybe he could have said "autopilot" isn't the best description or something like that. But it wasn't about the team mindset overall being autopilot. Just that they have a routine they follow which is natural. To me that didn't really stick out. Thought PT did a pretty good job for being 1st presser.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Right, Thomas wants a job on next year's staff, I assume. Doing the exact opposite of what Mooney has been doing is probably a pretty good way to threaten that opportunity. That's nothing against Mooney, it's just human nature. If you promote an employee to handle responsibilities that you have had for a long time and the first thing he or she does is change everything you had put in place, you're most likely going to take it personally, regardless of whether you should.
Peter Thomas knows he has a solid paycheck for the next 2-3 years if he doesn't do anything too outlandish during his interim role. If he came in and made some changes on our obvious weak areas and they worked, people would be like well why in heck didn't Mooney do that. Likewise, if he made changes and we get blown out the next few games, he will show himself not up for the task. So, I agree. He is going to make sure the trains run on time during this opportunity, nothing more and nothing less.

Tbf to PT I didn't take it that way. U might just be replying to another's comment but I saw the presser. And I've bagged on plenty of Mooney answers in these things where I think justified. But in this context the question was about the process of getting ready for an opponent, that the players have been through lot of scouts already, have vet guys, that the process doesn't change much in such a transition this far in season. Maybe he could have said "autopilot" isn't the best description or something like that. But it wasn't about the team mindset overall being autopilot. Just that they have a routine they follow which is natural. To me that didn't really stick out. Thought PT did a pretty good job for being 1st presser.
Thanks I was responding to another posters remarks on the auto pilot, this seems less like a terrible answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT