ADVERTISEMENT

Winning mentality

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
Got to watch my two favorite teams last night (Eagles and Spiders) at the same time and to me the defining difference between these teams is all mentality. What do the Eagles do best? They don't have the best defense, their offense can run hot and cold, they can be outplayed for 75% of the game, but they know how to win, and they make winning plays at critical times. As a fan, I expect that when the game is on the line, the Eagles are going to make the defining play to win that game. The Eagles call this the "dog" mentality, that eventually the dogs are going to exert their influence.

Our Mooney coached Spider teams are the exact opposite. This is a team (not just this year's version) that when you need a big bucket or a big stop, they just can't get it. They can control a game for 75% of the game as they did last night and when it comes down to winning time, they fade. It is probably the single most consistent trait of Mooney coached teams. As a fan, I expect that when the game is on the line, the Spiders are going to fade, they are not going to make the play or plays need to win. They are going to miss the shot, not get the stop, foul a guy in the wrong situation, you name something that could go wrong in the last 5 minutes of a game and Mooney's team have done that.

To make everyone annoyed, I will use my SDSU example too. Saw a Dutcher interview at MWC press event. Interviewers were asking about expectations, and how are you able to lower them following the run last year, etc. And he basically said nope, we don't do that. We have higher expectations this year than ever. We love the expectations and trying to live up to them. I wish Moon would just out of character and take this mindset. This does not mean you have to be Bobby Knight (RIP) like, but just set the expectation. I cannot believe he is doing this, or if he is behind the scenes his public optics undercut the message. This is a little different than what 97 is saying, but it all ties in together. Prepare to win. Expect to win. Over prepare. Execute. Things that seem to come and go.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
You're not wrong, 97. If it's a pick-em game in the last 4 minutes, I'm not picking us. The way we win a game by 1-5 points down the stretch is by being ahead by 10+ points with 4 minutes left, not by being behind or tied. Of course there have been a few exceptions over the years, but largely we seem unprepared or nervous in situations like that. Today is the one-year anniversary of a perfect example of this.

U can say that about Eagles a bunch but I would say last night it was the Chiefs making losing plays not the Eagles winning it. Got beat on long TD and guy dropped it. That was defining play imo.

Fwiw it was the same thing Phillies fans were saying about their team in Oct up 3-2 vs. Arizona coming home.

Also maybe Mooney (& other staff) were getting updates on Eagles games during our game lol. Btw if we won mortal lock Philly Bob brings this up postgame…like “Chris u ever play & win at same time as those Birds. How bout that amazing”

I agree w Spids we have really struggled last 4-5 mins of games. I don’t know if there is a site or something that tracks. It would be an interesting analysis to compare past years but this seems to be a pattern over a longer term w Moon. Except with a shot maker like Kevin Anderson and I’m sure there were some other years we performed pretty well.

23 gets a pass. San Diego>Philly. Plus he’s made me into a Dutcher fan.

I do like the rebuttal on the Eagles/Chiefs game haha. I'll admit to falling asleep and missing the 4th quarter. SDSU can look ugly and be hard to watch - just like any of our favorite teams - but at least I always feel like the team and coaches are fully invested in winning, not just competing.

U can say that about Eagles a bunch but I would say last night it was the Chiefs making losing plays not the Eagles winning it. Got beat on long TD and guy dropped it. That was defining play imo.

Fwiw it was the same thing Phillies fans were saying about their team in Oct up 3-2 vs. Arizona coming home.
I hear you that was a defining play. The Eagles had a long pass right before that their receiver caught, so they made their big play and the Chief's didn't. Ironically, that game featured two teams with winning mentalities. I think every Chief's fans expected Mahomes to come though as well. That is why they are two of the best teams in the NFL right now.

And just cause you have a winning mentality, doesn't mean you win every time, but teams that have it are more consistently going to come through in the clutch than not.

Spiders are a lot like the Commanders, who will look really good for 75% of the game as well, have good players, but yet find a way to lose (Seattle game) or lose games they have no business losing (see Giants games).

Always felt confident with Tarrant, Beilein, and somewhat Wainwright that Spiders could close out with a win in tight games. Just the opposite now.
Believe it was JW that said something similar to you play the first 35 minutes to get to the last five.

With Tarrant - you just thought he could coach his way to victory in the last 4 minutes AND he usually had pretty tough minded players to execute and make a playe.

Beilein - you just felt like he could "scheme" a play or something to get a good shot. Sure - there were nights UR took and missed a bunch of 3's and missed and you knew we were going to lose, but if the game was close, you knew he could draw up a play and give us a shot to win it.

Wainwright - you just knew the defense was going to be there each and every night. Offense usually dependent on 1-2 guys, but our defense was so tough - it didn't matter, we had a chance.

Mooney - What do you say about Mooney teams? I

Tarrant's a legend. undisputed.

I loved Beilein but he was always looking to move up and out, and many on this board weren't unhappy when he did. recruiting wasn't a strength but a great x's and o's coach.

Wainwright? sorry. he could tell a good story. but here 3 years. last one 14-15. won 54% of his games. horrible on the offensive end. and worse, he left the cupboard bare.

Mooney's put together some great teams. obviously there have been too many that didn't succeed. '19-'22 was a good run. this year's team has some grit, and I like the talent he's bringing in.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT