ADVERTISEMENT

Up Next - UMASS

Yes, 05 started the petition, but is also all chummy with UR athletic depth folks on Twitter so probably doing his spin. Now I will admit I have had many a post deleted that deserved it, but seems to be an effort to wipe some stuff out that goes too far.

Absolutely an effort to keep things I'm going too far. As was the case here. Had nothing to do with GK. That said have reached out to have a conversation with him separately to help with understanding.

In a second half where we are getting killed on the boards, Roche is out injured, and we can't figure out a way to stop UMass' offense, I need an explanation from Mooney for the following (I fully realize it ain't coming):

- How do we make our last substitution with 8:21 left in the game? Bigelow had 4 fouls but was playing a great overall game last night. Randolph made some nice contributions earlier in the game. Maybe we could've held it together the last 2 minutes of the game if our guys had gotten some rest?

- Why did Dji stay glued to the bench? You're telling me that in a half where we gave up over 50 points he couldn't have made a difference, especially on Diggins who was toasting us. I know his length could have made a difference but we didn't even get to see it tried.

- What is your timeout strategy exactly? We called one after a 7-0 run with 4:27 left when we had just gotten on a little roll. From that point on we got outscored 17-5 the remainder of the game, with some of our best defensive players riding the pine. Your next timeout after 4:27 was not until under 1:00 to go when we had lost control of the game. And of course the obligatory unused timeouts.

UMass was a team on the ropes - missing key players, coach feuding with fanbase, struggling in conference play. We let a bad team hang around and they gained confidence and embarrassed us down the stretch. We should see a postgame press conference with Mooney furious with himself at how this one went down, but we won't.
- Why did Dji stay glued to the bench? You're telling me that in a half where we gave up over 50 points he couldn't have made a difference, especially on Diggins who was toasting us. I know his length could have made a difference but we didn't even get to see it tried.

Don't know and he doesn't either. I'm 100% positive he could have helped. I have an idea but 🤐

Yes, 05 started the petition, but is also all chummy with UR athletic depth folks on Twitter so probably doing his spin. Now I will admit I have had many a post deleted that deserved it, but seems to be an effort to wipe some stuff out that goes too far.

05 “the Petition Guy”…bad nickname I don’t want to get in trouble. I can’t walk in their shoes it’s all good.

Absolutely an effort to keep things I'm going too far. As was the case here. Had nothing to do with GK. That said have reached out to have a conversation with him separately to help with understanding.

Can I still call u “the Petition Guy”?

/s or J/k

Water under the bridge but thx anyway

In a second half where we are getting killed on the boards, Roche is out injured, and we can't figure out a way to stop UMass' offense, I need an explanation from Mooney for the following (I fully realize it ain't coming):

- How do we make our last substitution with 8:21 left in the game? Bigelow had 4 fouls but was playing a great overall game last night. Randolph made some nice contributions earlier in the game. Maybe we could've held it together the last 2 minutes of the game if our guys had gotten some rest?

- What is your timeout strategy exactly? We called one after a 7-0 run with 4:27 left when we had just gotten on a little roll. From that point on we got outscored 17-5 the remainder of the game, with some of our best defensive players riding the pine. Your next timeout after 4:27 was not until under 1:00 to go when we had lost control of the game. And of course the obligatory unused timeouts.

UMass was a team on the ropes - missing key players, coach feuding with fanbase, struggling in conference play. We let a bad team hang around and they gained confidence and embarrassed us down the stretch. We should see a postgame press conference with Mooney furious with himself at how this one went down, but we won't.
Since I am the one on here to rarely get on coaches (not just Mooney, other coaches too), I will try to explain.

1. We down 2 when Bigelow went out with 8 minutes left. We were up 3 with 3 minutes left, and down 2 with the ball with just over a minute left. It's easy to go back and say we should have done this or that, but I wasn't screaming to get Bigs back in there. Maybe you were, and that's fine. Rest? Come on. Tyler played 37 minutes and no one else played more than 31. And there were 4 timeouts inside the 8 minute mark last night.

2. If a guy is not part of the rotation.....I mean, should Noyes, Dread and Walz have played too? Maybe Dji isn't the defensive stopper we were told he is. I haven't noticed it in 3 years. Have you? Combined with no offense, I just don't know how he could have helped. JMO, and we can disagree.

3. Do we really need to blame time outs after every loss? There was a timeout around 4:30 with us up 3, another one around 4:00 with the game tied, and another one around 1:00 with us down 4. Your wording makes it sound like we were outscored by 12 between timeouts, and that is nowhere close to accurate.

4. Disappointing loss. We need to regroup and have this be our worst conference loss. The goal needs to remain top 4 finish, and let's peak at the right time at the end because it is all about the A-10 tourney this year.

5. I know this post will upset people and sorry in advance. I just rarely blame coaches. When I feel it is deserved, I will say it and have said it on here before.

Last edited:
I do give him credit for starting that and trying to make a difference. Because just like bill board guys were blamed for more Mooney, I'm sure that he is blamed for motivating the team to save Mooney. 24-25 here we come!!! The Jaynel / TrevSMith show awaits!!

I do give him credit for starting that and trying to make a difference. Because just like bill board guys were blamed for more Mooney, I'm sure that he is blamed for motivating the team to save Mooney. 24-25 here we come!!! The Jaynel / TrevSMith show awaits!!

What if we put the petition on a billboard??

National Champions here we come!!

Since I am the one on here to rarely get on coaches (not just Mooney, other coaches too), I will try to explain.

1. We down 2 when Bigelow went out with 8 minutes left. We were up 3 with 3 minutes left, and down 2 with the ball with just over a minute left. It's easy to go back and say we should have done this or that, but I wasn't screaming to get Bigs back in there. Maybe you were, and that's fine. Rest? Come on. Tyler played 37 minutes and no one else played more than 31. And there were 4 timeouts inside the 8 minute mark last night.

2. If a guy is not part of the rotation.....I mean, should Noyes, Dread and Walz have played too? Maybe Dji isn't the defensive stopper we were told he is. I haven't noticed it in 3 years. Have you? Combined with no offense, I just don't know how he could have helped. JMO, and we can disagree.

3. Do we really need to blame time outs after every loss? There was a timeout around 4:30 with us up 3, another one around 4:00 with the game tied, and another one around 1:00 with us down 4. Your wording makes it sound like we were outscored by 12 between timeouts, and that is nowhere close to accurate.

4. Disappointing loss. We need to regroup and have this be our worst conference loss. The goal needs to remain top 4 finish, and let's peak at the right time at the end because it is all about the A-10 tourney this year.

5. I know this post will upset people and sorry in advance. I just rarely blame coaches. When I feel it is deserved, I will say it and have said it on here before.
ZZZZZZZZZZ

If a 9 point loss to that UMass team doesn't make you ask some questions I don't know what else to say.

How old r u…I think he forgot to put that symbol “/s” at end of his post…u must know it like everyone else on here.
Lol. I thought about this universally known /s, but since I had no clue about that one I decided to go with the open “so……” thinking that the majority would get it.

all is well in Spider Nation, Coach Mooney knows what he is doing, we are right where we want to be

#M4L

Of course Mooney isn't going to answer any questions. He doesn't have to, he has the unfettered support of his bosses. I realize that your questions are rhetorical and that you already know the answers. I offer my perspective in writing again for those who haven't seen it before:

1) Mooney has demonstrated for years that he is risk averse. Management courage, or taking smart risks are not a strong part of his makeup. Due to this area of needed improvement, he pulls back and tightens up when the going gets tough. The ultra conservatism makes him shorten the rotation. He tends to ride his regulars no matter how poorly things are going (see recent VCU game). Take no chances, play not to lose is his standard modus operandi. Most of the time, when a team plays "not to lose" they lose. This is a large part of why Mooney coached teams so frequently have a lead late and end up with the "L". Of course, players need to play well in crunch time, but repetitive close losses are largely on the coach.

2) It is apparent to the casual observer that Mooney does not have full confidence in Bailey. Why, I can't say, that is between him and the player. However, It plays out in the quick hook, and failing to use Bailey in key situations. Bailey's injuries, nor Mooney's shortening of the rotation (see # 1) haven't helped the situation. Bottom line, it is VERY difficult to change the perception of any coach. For the sake of the team, I hope that we see positive developments soon. Bailey isn't the first Mooney player in this position. Oh yeah, part B, by his own admission, Mooney forgets to get certain players in the game.

3) Mooney has always kept timeouts in his back pocket. He saves them in case he might need them (see #1 above). Whether his tactic and perspective is right or wrong is debatable. Same is true for him calling a timeout after positive momentum, it is part of his Sop. Mooney also frequently takes certain players out of the game following a positive play. I've never understood this tactic, it seems counterproductive to me. Again the effectiveness of these practices can be debated, but, they are part of Mooney's coaching DNA.

Mooney most often takes action via his long established habits, not in-game decision making based upon the flow of the game. There have been PLENTY of good players at UR during Mooney's tenure, but he is a firm 55 % winner who doesn't make the NCAA tournament often enough, nor beat his rival with any regularity. It will not change; 18-years of evidence makes a strong argument.

Mooney also frequently takes certain players out of the game following a positive play. I've never understood this tactic, it seems counterproductive to me
Me too.

Without checking the Box, as I recall a time out was called and Roche lifted immediately after hitting a 3 in the first half. Baffling. We need to get this guy back in a groove, not bench him when he might be heating up.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Legit question: How many other teams in this league this year would have lost that game at UMass last night? Maybe one or two at most?

VT4700, I do believe u have good hoops knowledge. U r and were very high on this team prospects. Is is fair to say that, to date, they have underachieved your expectations?

What was deleted?

Sorry 8legs today was my day. The Gestapo came for me. I can say no more & even tho I have no idea what is going on apparently old GK might soon be hanging out on Ulla's farm.

But what I can say is who would have guessed 24 hours ago that our program is more dysfunctional than UMASS. A team that had 114 people total at the game last night.

Sorry 8legs today was my day. The Gestapo came for me. I can say no more & even tho I have no idea what is going on apparently old GK might soon be hanging out on Ulla's farm.

But what I can say is who would have guessed 24 hours ago that our program is more dysfunctional than UMASS. A team that had 114 people total at the game last night.
Would that be Ulla's "Animal Farm"?

Me too.

Without checking the Box, as I recall a time out was called and Roche lifted immediately after hitting a 3 in the first half. Baffling. We need to get this guy back in a groove, not bench him when he might be heating up.
Besides the TOs after a run by us, taking players out at times after they make 2 or 3 baskets in a row is the other strategy that I don't understand...

VT4700, I do believe u have good hoops knowledge. U r and were very high on this team prospects. Is is fair to say that, to date, they have underachieved your expectations?

Also u r a good stats guy, do u know best place to find individual +/-?

Don't know and he doesn't either. I'm 100% positive he could have helped. I have an idea but 🤐
Cut it out! In the last TWO games Dji has played both games and has not given the team much. In his defense the minutes are minuscule, but hasn’t made much happen. What has he done to deserve playing time over the Randolph and Bigelow?

We were up 3 with 3 minutes left. You guys have been harping up and down how well we played and scored most of the game… so why after a bad 3 min stretch, do we need to put him in?

so when we lose to a terrible team missing two key starters, in their 80% empty arena, whose coach was most recently in the news for wanting to fight his fans what does that say about us?

Pom Pom Mafia, where are you guys hiding? Come on out and tell us that you want 20 more years of this BS and that nobody could possibly achieve more than what your boy ConMoon the snake oil salesman has done
Down the stretch. Could you have asked for an easier lay up for Burton? Or two easier lay ups for Quinn? Changes the whole dynamic of the game. 7 point swing right there! How is it CM’s fault that the NBA player and the 7 FT player missed 3 wide open lay ups?
That 7 pt swing determines the game right there. If either player scores, it changes the whole dynamic of the last 2 min.

The record and overall performance of the team is the head coach's responsibly. This is the third consecutive season in which we have largely underachieved in the regular season. Eighth place, sixth place, and currently eighth place again.

Of course Mooney isn't going to answer any questions. He doesn't have to, he has the unfettered support of his bosses. I realize that your questions are rhetorical and that you already know the answers. I offer my perspective in writing again for those who haven't seen it before:

1) Mooney has demonstrated for years that he is risk averse. Management courage, or taking smart risks are not a strong part of his makeup. Due to this area of needed improvement, he pulls back and tightens up when the going gets tough. The ultra conservatism makes him shorten the rotation. He tends to ride his regulars no matter how poorly things are going (see recent VCU game). Take no chances, play not to lose is his standard modus operandi. Most of the time, when a team plays "not to lose" they lose. This is a large part of why Mooney coached teams so frequently have a lead late and end up with the "L". Of course, players need to play well in crunch time, but repetitive close losses are largely on the coach.

2) It is apparent to the casual observer that Mooney does not have full confidence in Bailey. Why, I can't say, that is between him and the player. However, It plays out in the quick hook, and failing to use Bailey in key situations. Bailey's injuries, nor Mooney's shortening of the rotation (see # 1) haven't helped the situation. Bottom line, it is VERY difficult to change the perception of any coach. For the sake of the team, I hope that we see positive developments soon. Bailey isn't the first Mooney player in this position. Oh yeah, part B, by his own admission, Mooney forgets to get certain players in the game.

3) Mooney has always kept timeouts in his back pocket. He saves them in case he might need them (see #1 above). Whether his tactic and perspective is right or wrong is debatable. Same is true for him calling a timeout after positive momentum, it is part of his Sop. Mooney also frequently takes certain players out of the game following a positive play. I've never understood this tactic, it seems counterproductive to me. Again the effectiveness of these practices can be debated, but, they are part of Mooney's coaching DNA.

Mooney most often takes action via his long established habits, not in-game decision making based upon the flow of the game. There have been PLENTY of good players at UR during Mooney's tenure, but he is a firm 55 % winner who doesn't make the NCAA tournament often enough, nor beat his rival with any regularity. It will not change; 18-years of evidence makes a strong argument.
Mooney just doesn’t have a point guard to overcome his ineptitude this year.

Down the stretch. Could you have asked for an easier lay up for Burton? Or two easier lay ups for Quinn? Changes the whole dynamic of the game. 7 point swing right there! How is it CM’s fault that the NBA player and the 7 FT player missed 3 wide open lay ups?
That 7 pt swing determines the game right there. If either player scores, it changes the whole dynamic of the last 2 min.

ok so let's throw the players under the bus to protect the coach. Burton sucks, he will never sniff the NBA and Quinn should have downgraded from the Patriot League instead of upgrading to the A10 because he is also pitiful. That better?

And wow if either player scores a bucket we only lose by 7 instead of 9.

#M4L

There will invariably be failures by players to make plays. Similarly, we will invariably lose games, whether by being outgunned or by what I’ll loosely call “ineptitude”. Outgunned is ok, ineptitude is not.

Too many cases where we are our own worst enemy. That is on the coaches to solve, or if they can’t, then it’s time to seriously consider what the hell we’re doing as a program.

Cut it out! In the last TWO games Dji has played both games and has not given the team much. In his defense the minutes are minuscule, but hasn’t made much happen. What has he done to deserve playing time over the Randolph and Bigelow?

We were up 3 with 3 minutes left. You guys have been harping up and down how well we played and scored most of the game… so why after a bad 3 min stretch, do we need to put him in?
😂😂nah you cut it out. He played 6 min in 1st half RI and last 4 min 2nd half of VCU. There are some guys in the rotation that don’t make much happen but hey…

yeah why would we need to give another solid player an opportunity when other guys aren’t playing well and esp when one of our guys got cooked for 23 pts last night 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

This argument might make sense if we actually had a productive player getting minutes at the point. Nelson has had less than 1 assist per game in A10 play and he is averaging 30 minutes per game! He is also averaging 2.5 turnovers per game. He is also shooting poorly. I just don't understand why he is getting so many minutes when from what I have seen Dji is a better passer, defender, and rebounder.

This argument might make sense if we actually had a productive player getting minutes at the point. Nelson has had less than 1 assist per game in A10 play and he is averaging 30 minutes per game! He is also averaging 2.5 turnovers per game. He is also shooting poorly. I just don't understand why he is getting so many minutes when from what I have seen Dji is a better passer, defender, and rebounder.
Agree 100%

😂😂nah you cut it out. He played 6 min in 1st half RI and last 4 min 2nd half of VCU. There some guys in the rotation that don’t make much happen but hey…
after being outclassed at every turn nearly the entire game why couldn't we drop Dji in there for a couple minutes at the end to single-handedly erase the 20 point deficit. Sorry but the VCU loss is SQUARELY on Dji here, the Pom Pom Mafia is right 🤡 🤡 🤡

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75

Doesn’t have +/- but it does have advanced #s like win shares (how much you contribute to the wins) and efficiency ratings.

Thx I know that site haven't seen +/- there either. Think I've actually seen it in live stats at home games, maybe a few road ones I can't recall (but umass didn't have it), but it's only during the actual game truly live. Once game is over it goes away which I don't really get it, why not add to box score.

Reactions: POMSpidur
Sure, you can question things. Will you be fair and also question Anthony Grant and Mark Schmidt after last night?
We as Spiders fans dont care enough to question the abilities and performances of other team's coaches. Maybe when you become a Spiders fan as well and not just a Moonie fan you will understand why your question is ridiculous.

I did say with good PG play we could win 20 games. PG was an unknown going in..

The record and overall performance of the team is the head coach's responsibly. This is the third consecutive season in which we have largely underachieved in the regular season. Eighth place, sixth place, and currently eighth place again.
And if we would have done great in the regular season and lost in the A-10 tourney last year, you would be on here talking about how the regular season means nothing and it's all about the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT