ADVERTISEMENT

Up Next - UMASS

So I’m not heavily down on JayNel but will say that the continued preponderance of time he gets points to a few things:

1. “Best players play” - If he is our best PG, we have failed to develop him to be average to better than average. I think this is objectively true both statistically and in terms of results.
2. If we have failed to develop him, why? Gave 1.66 seasons away to Isaiah Wilson only to determine he didn’t have a future here? That seems like a pretty big talent evaluation miss. We should have had a more ready PG behind Gilyard developing the last two years.
3. Alternately, If he’s not our best, why are we not evaluating all the options (Goose, Randolph, and yes, Dji) in a more balanced way? I find it hard to believe that there isn’t some merit to this given we are not ultra competitive and are only playing for tournament seeding.

It just feels like a stubborn insistence on sticking to a game plan that doesn’t seem to be working.
I guess that's the difference in panicking and not panicking. I remember last year some people on here gave up on the team and said it was time to play some new guys. How quickly they forget.

1. No if here. He is our best PG, and he is 21 games into his 1st season. I am not ready to say we failed to develop him. He looked pretty developed when he scored 21 against Northern Iowa, 19 against Drake, 16 against Davidson, and a few other games this year.

2. See #1. I am not ready to say we have failed to develop him. I think he is better than Wilson ever was or would have been at PG. Not every real good PG was special his freshman year.

3. I think he is clearly our best option. I don't see anyone else being a 30 minute PG for us. What is there to evaluate? You guys just really don't think practice means anything, do you? Maybe our coaches know Goose, Randolph, and Dji are not true PGs and know we would be a lot worse than even the last 3 games if we played them at PG more. Even SDad for the longest time said Dji was a "combo guard". Or, if you want to call Dji a PG, maybe it is obvious to all the coaches that Nelson is the better option. Sman made some good points about the last game. Nelson handled the ball great last game, and protected the ball. Why experiment with something that we would never do? Dji, Goose, and Randolph will not be our main PG next year, so again, what is there to evaluate? It's not like we have another freshman true PG that you think should get more time at PG. That would be different, but I think our staff knows we aren't winning the A-10 tourney with any of them playing a lot of minutes at PG. We just aren't. So, Nelson is the guy.

4. I don't think it is being stubborn at all. A few games ago, we were 3-1 IC and Nelson was coming off of a 16 point (4-6 from 3) game against Davidson. Yes, we have lost 2 in a row, and 3 of 4 and he hasn't played as well as we need in some games, but the team hasn't exactly played well in some games either. I'm just not ready to make dramatic changes 21 games into a guy's freshman season.

Last edited:
With 2 minutes left it’s a tied game though? If you’re blaming the whole game on the coach for 1/8 of the game, I guess the rational confuses me…
But nevertheless. It’s a tie game with 2 minutes left, and you get a layup from your best player on one position and a wide open three from him on the next possession… I’m not sure you can ask for much better offensively!

Amazing how you can quote my post and not even read it. I didn't even mention last night's game. I'm discussing repetitive patterns. Ill give you a pass though because you may have been three sheets to the wind after watching us blow yet another game we should have won. Moral victories are way in the past, coming close no longer matters to me.

Reactions: Eight Legger
4. I don't think it is being stubborn at all. A few games ago, we were 3-1 IC and Nelson was coming off of a 16 point (4-6 from 3) game against Davidson. Yes, we have lost 2 in a row, and 3 of 4 and he hasn't played as well as we need in some games, but the team hasn't exactly played well in some games either. I'm just not ready to make dramatic changes 21 games into a guy's freshman season.
I don't think anyone is calling for dramatic change, that we bench Nelson. I do think that if Nelson comes out in the first half against Dayton and is a. not making shots b. not getting the offensive flow going, and or/ not generating assists per his role at PG that we give Dji a good run in the second half to see if that generates a spark.

This to me is coaching 101, you try different combinations, different players, when things are not going well. And they are not going well right now. It is kind of the definition of insanity to keep running out the exact same gameplan and player rotations game after game, but yet that is Mooney's comfort zone.

I don't think anyone is calling for dramatic change, that we bench Nelson. I do think that if Nelson comes out in the first half against Dayton and is a. not making shots b. not getting the offensive flow going, and or/ not generating assists per his role at PG that we give Dji a good run in the second half to see if that generates a spark.

This to me is coaching 101, you try different combinations, different players, when things are not going well. And they are not going well right now. It is kind of the definition of insanity to keep running out the exact same gameplan and player rotations game after game, but yet that is Mooney's comfort zone.
Agreed! Plus let's see how/if Mooney can coach jaynel up...sometimes sitting a guy helps him focus a bit more....

To me, giving a guy a run at PG who has not played PG the 3 years he has been here would be a dramatic change. I think the coaches know by now who gives us our best chance for success in March. If Dji were even close to the answer, or even a slim chance of being the answer, he would have played more than 0 minutes the other night. Should Dread get a look if Goose struggles?

You guys are asking for change, and we have seen change. We have seen Randolph with a bigger role, we have seen Randolph and Goose get some back up PG minutes, and we have gone small at times. I think we have mixed the lineup up plenty. Just because it is not the change YOU might want, doesn't mean we keep running the same game plan out every game.

It looks to me like Dji and Randolph both got some minutes early this season to see who would be part of the rotation. With both likely being behind Nelson, Goose, and Roche, we wouldn't need them both as the year went on. Randolph, like Wilson did last year, beat Dji out, and I don't think this is even up for debate. Randolph is by far the better option. So, as a result, the minutes just aren't there for Dji.

Last edited:
To me, giving a guy a run at PG who has not played PG the 3 years he has been here would be a dramatic change. I think the coaches know by now who gives us our best chance for success in March. If Dji were even close to the answer, or even a slim chance of being the answer, he would have played more than 0 minutes the other night. Should Dread get a look if Goose struggles?

You guys are asking for change, and we have seen change. We have seen Randolph with a bigger role, we have seen Randolph and Goose get some back up PG minutes, and we have gone small at times. I think we have mixed the lineup up plenty. Just because it is not the change YOU might want, doesn't mean we keep running the same game plan out every game.

It looks to me like Dji and Randolph both got some minutes early this season to see who would be part of the rotation. With both likely being behind Nelson, Goose, and Roche, we wouldn't need them both as the year went on. Randolph, like Wilson did last year, beat Dji out, and I don't think this is even up for debate. Randolph is by far the better option. So, as a result, the minutes just aren't there for Dji.
Dread is a scholarship player, correct? Is he that ill-prepared, undeveloped to play after nearly 2 years in the program? Mooney has praised Noyes in the offseason and every look we get of him in mop up duties, he sure opens my eyes. Also a scholarship player in the program for nearly 2 years. Are they that far behind in talent than our current rotation that has shown to be nothing better than a .500 ballclub> If so, that is pretty big indictment of Mooney's supposed uptick in recruiting.

What do we have to lose at this point?. We are not getting an at large or even an NIT bid, so why wouldn't we give some of our bench guys a bit of run to see if they can provide us with something that our core rotation players haven't.

Dread is a scholarship player, correct? Is he that ill-prepared, undeveloped to play after nearly 2 years in the program? Mooney has praised Noyes in the offseason and every look we get of him in mop up duties, he sure opens my eyes. Also a scholarship player in the program for nearly 2 years. Are they that far behind in talent than our current rotation that has shown to be nothing better than a .500 ballclub> If so, that is pretty big indictment of Mooney's supposed uptick in recruiting.

What do we have to lose at this point?. We are not getting an at large or even an NIT bid, so why wouldn't we give some of our bench guys a bit of run to see if they can provide us with something that our core rotation players haven't.
As always, you are getting on Mooney for being pretty much like every other coach out there as far as scholarship players go. Every team has scholarship guys that don't play. No team plays 13 guys, and plenty play 6 or 7. You give guys scholarships based on what you think they can and will do, but many times you just don't know until you see them every day for awhile. No coach will be even close to having all of their scholarship guys get solid playing time.

And, you are also asking for Mooney to do what other coaches don't and shouldn't do. Who plays non rotation guys 20 games in just because you are a .500 type team? Do you have any examples?

Exactly right. We are 2/3 through the season and I'd say we are at best playing about the same as we did to start the year, probably a little worse. The general consensus (and I agreed) was that we may struggle to start the year but should improve during conference play. We have a lot of experience but just a lot of important parts who hadn't played together much.

Well after 20+ games postseason talk is 100% gone, so why not try other player combos to see if something catches. There is really nothing to lose at this point. If we give Noyes, Bailey, Walz, etc. additional time the next couple weeks (I'm not even talking about benching guys, just spreading minutes around more) and it fails spectacularly, maybe we finish the year 15-16 instead of 17-14. Either way it's a bummer of a season but at least we have a better idea of who we have coming into next year. And conference seeding doesn't matter to me at this point because we are not a team that can realistically run off 4 straight wins anyway.

Exactly right. We are 2/3 through the season and I'd say we are at best playing about the same as we did to start the year, probably a little worse. The general consensus (and I agreed) was that we may struggle to start the year but should improve during conference play. We have a lot of experience but just a lot of important parts who hadn't played together much.

Well after 20+ games postseason talk is 100% gone, so why not try other player combos to see if something catches. There is really nothing to lose at this point. If we give Noyes, Bailey, Walz, etc. additional time the next couple weeks (I'm not even talking about benching guys, just spreading minutes around more) and it fails spectacularly, maybe we finish the year 15-16 instead of 17-14. Either way it's a bummer of a season but at least we have a better idea of who we have coming into next year. And conference seeding doesn't matter to me at this point because we are not a team that can realistically run off 4 straight wins anyway.
No coach would think like this, especially when at 4-4 IC and chasing a top 4 seed, which would give us a bye in what will be a very winnable A-10 tourney.

And, last year, when most on here gave up on us, we were chasing an A-10 tourney title only in my and Mooney's ( and the players') mind?
Last year the underachieving team finally showed up 5 of their last 6 games. Mostly because Gilyard said FU Mooney and started shooting wide open shots from 3 and bagged the globetrotter circus act.

especially when at 4-4 IC and chasing a top 4 seed, which would give us a bye in what will be a very winnable A-10 tourney.

giphy.gif

do you also believe in the tooth fairy?

For me its consistency. I'm not asking much, just to be competitive in the conference and make the Tourney more often. One thing Mooney lacks is consistency (Example of that is making the tournament every 10 years) if Richmond won 10+ a10 games in the last 3 years and were competing at the top I’d be okay with it, but you’ll never know what you’ll get with cm and history shows he’s more unreliable than reliable.
I’d like to see Richmond in the top tier of the A10, with VCU, Dayton, and Davidson.

In the Mooney era (since 2005), and for VCU and Davidson while being a part of the A10 (since 2012 and 2014 respectively), those teams have made the NCAA/NIT over 70% of the time. Richmond has made the NCAA/NIT about half that (35.12%).

This is the consistency I want.

Reactions: urfan1
Went back and watched most of the second half again.

Roche got fallen on by another player around the 14 minute mark, but he continued to play for about 3 more minutes. However you could tell his knee was bothering him. Hopefully it is a sprain and he didn’t mess himself up by continuing to play.

Looked like UMass mostly scored on switches that were in their favor and I didn’t see any one player who was getting constantly beaten, but no one was playing good D. Cross especially wanted the ball more and got some critical rebounds. The turning point was really when Cross went hard to the basket and basically knocked Burton down and Burton was looking for a call and instead got out of position leading to the dunk. So the griping hurt.

On offense, the story was that Burton missed the shots he was making to keep the Spiders in the game in the second half. Had two wide open looks from 3 that he missed. UMass kept hitting all its foul shots giving UR no chance of catching up. Then of course it was finishing the game with a bad turnover.

A review of the starting 5:

Nelson: As @spiderman mentioned, JayNel was driving into the lane which was “new”, but he missed any shots he took lowering the effectiveness. Looked about half a step slower than he needs to be, as he is not big enough to shot over anyone. No turnovers until the terrible one at the end. Definitely a weaker performance on D.

Goose: Did the usual scoring early in the game and then nothing although he did take more 3s as some have wanted. Did not make more though. Not as effective on D, but UMass was really spreading it out scoring wise.

Burton:A double double, but not enough and as mentioned he didn’t come through in crunch time. Obviously he is pulling the load for the team, but being “the man” is why he returned. Unfortunately, did not deliver.

Quinn: Great game from Quinn and delivered what everyone has been wanting to see from the post player. Incredible improvement from FT line and great energy including a follow on dunk on a missed Goose 3. He had a number of ghost fouls called on him, which of course led to UMass points. Also saw the “Golden 3“ from top of key that I can live without, but obviously he was coached up on that shot.

Grace: Disappearing act from Matt, but I suppose partly because of focus on getting Quinn more involved. A weak defensive effort. As many have said all year, do not understand why Grace/Quinn pairing is used so much and especially at the start of the game.

Have to highlight one bench player as well. Saw a solid game from Bigelow on the offensive end, but he was getting somewhat schooled on D leading to 4 fouls in second half alone. I guess Mooney did not want to have anyone foul out in the game, since as noted by many he came out with 8 minutes to go and never returned.
strong recap, Native. unemotional and factual.

If Mooney does play Dji, Noyes in an upcoming game, then you will proclaim it a stroke of genius. Mooney could take a nice hot steamer in the corner of the room and you would tell everyone how much it freshened up the air.
If Noyes gets some time, I will be thrilled. That will show me the coaches feel like he is ready to give us some minutes. But, he shouldn't play until they think he would help us.....not just because we are .500 and need to try someone else.

Here's the problem: We kinda suck right now. No real changes have been made. That means either Mooney doesn't think anything is wrong (that would be troubling), or he doesn't know what is wrong (also troubling), or he thinks the potential changes would be worse than the current results. I don't care for any of those realities.

Here's the problem: We kinda suck right now. No real changes have been made. That means either Mooney doesn't think anything is wrong (that would be troubling), or he doesn't know what is wrong (also troubling), or he thinks the potential changes would be worse than the current results. I don't care for any of those realities.
Mooney thinks he is losing to Duke every night.

97, feel free to point out the difference in what you posted and what is posted here. #facting
Please do because I don't see any difference. Last year at this time we were 4-4 IC and most everyone on here was complaining about our players and coaching. What has changed?

97 he doesn’t have a clue. VT will punch it in Google come up with some stats and say point made w/o using any common sense. Marcus didn’t beat Dji out 😂 he got injured and most would allow players to get their spot back🤷🏼‍♂️ “most coaches” do. VT’s disgust and hatred for a kid you don’t know is typical of someone like you a “keyboard warrior”. There might not be any mins for Dji but it certainly isn’t bc he was beat out by Marcus. There is so much that goes on that most do not have a clue about but then again you are at the very least an entitled know it all. The only one on this entire board that has to be a douche on every post. Obviously Dji and myself live rent free in your head😂 I usually don’t let someone like you…especially get me out of my Jesus…but you just might. I knew a lot kids like you in HS and saw how they were treated…you fit that mold to a T based off your ignorance on this board.

97 he doesn’t have a clue. VT will punch it in Google come up with some stats and say point made w/o using any common sense. Marcus didn’t beat Dji out 😂 he got injured and most would allow players to get their spot back🤷🏼‍♂️ “most coaches” do. VT’s disgust and hatred for a kid you don’t know is typical of someone like you a “keyboard warrior”. There might not be any mins for Dji but it certainly isn’t bc he was beat out by Marcus. There is so much that goes on that most do not have a clue about but then again you are at the very least an entitled know it all. The only one on this entire board that has to be a douche on every post. Obviously Dji and myself live rent free in your head😂 I usually don’t let someone like you…especially get me out of my Jesus…but you just might. I knew a lot kids like you in HS and saw how they were treated…you fit that mold to a T based off your ignorance on this board.
So far, I have been accurate with this and you have been WAY wrong....but sure, say I am the one that doesn't have a clue. And, I have not thrown a bunch of insults at you like you have toward me, but hey, you keep being you.

1. You predicted 20/20 split at PG. I said no chance. Who was right?
2. You said "running with the 1s". I said no chance. Who was right?
3. Regarding the thread of time for Dji when he returns, here were my comments: "If I am allowed to give an honest opinion, I don't see any time for Dji when he gets back." Dji got 0 minutes last game. Yet, I don't have a clue?
4. It is clear to anyone, to use your favorite phrase, "who knows basketball", Marcus beat out Dji. Marcus got 15 minutes last game, Dji 0. Sorry, but Marcus is the better player. He just is. Guards need to shoot 3s. Marcus is 11-23, Dji 2-8. And, it's more than just 3s. Way more. Marcus can come in and make an impact right away, and has done just that numerous times. Dji, you continue to say, needs time to make an impact, which is a big ask for a reserve.
5. You said there might not be any minutes for Dji, but it won't be because Marcus beat him out. What???? So, if Marcus gets 15 minutes and a healthy Dji gets 0, it doesn't mean Marcus beat him out?? LOL. Okay. You also said Wilson didn't beat Dji out, until a couple of us showed you the facts, and you said, okay, maybe you were wrong there.
6. You told us all you could handle any criticism, so we should feel free to give our honest opinions. Obviously, this was not true because you simply cannot handle anything negative said about Dji. I read my post again, and just don't see anything over the top with what I posted. Not even close. Way worse has been said about other players.
7. Maybe there will be some minutes for him if Roche is out or limited. I wish him the best if so.
8. Nelson gets a lot of criticism on here. A lot! I guess the difference is his dad isn't on here whining all day, and responding to every negative post said about his son.

Last edited:
Yep, being 4-4 (soon to be 4-5) and in eighth place in the A10 during its worst overall year since we've been a member is exactly where we wanted to be at this point of the season to best position ourselves for an NCAA appearance. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
We are picking our spot strategically. That is just brilliant. All part of a master plan.

Year 1 Roster - Gilly, Blake, Grant, Nate, Goose, Matt, Nick, Tyler, Zay, Dji ---- If someone thinks Dji was able to show him self as Fr with this roster you may be on the crack pipe! Those guys didn't come out

Year 2 SAME Roster minus Blake - Years 1 &2 If you think Dji was given fair shot at what he could do last year----You may still be on the crack pipe...Those guys didn't come out

Year 3 Roster - Goose, Matt, Tyler - These guys don't come out...before his injury about 11 min a game. 3 games back and fully healthy who is the guy who didn't get his spot back like another player on the team did?? SEE A PATTERN?

So spew that garbage of he's "had plenty of time for 3 years"...to your family and friends not to most up here that understand how the game works. 2 min here, 3 min there isn't how most players play esp one that is NOT one demential and can effect the game in multiple ways. But yeah he's had plenty of time.

Dad. Thank you for posting on this board, we all appreciate your perspective. And we also thank you for your restraint, I'm sure its not an easy thing to do. I hope that WHEREVER Dji is in the future, be it here or somewhere else, that he gets the opportunity to grow and showcase his skills. I also hope that he has enjoyed being a student at the University of Richmond. If he decides to go on to greener pastures (and better coaching), I personally hope that you will return to this board from time to time and keep us updated. I've never met you personally but it seems like Dji has a fine father.
SpiderRick

Yep, being 4-4 (soon to be 4-5) and in eighth place in the A10 during its worst overall year since we've been a member is exactly where we wanted to be at this point of the season to best position ourselves for an NCAA appearance. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Not what I am saying at all, but you know this. You are just being you. I was hoping to be better than 4-4 IC and 11-10 overall. But, the difference is I will still support our guys and hope they can make a run. I'm not giving up on a top 4 finish, and I will always hope we do something special in March. Sorry this upsets so many on here.

Dad. Thank you for posting on this board, we all appreciate your perspective. And we also thank you for your restraint, I'm sure its not an easy thing to do. I hope that WHEREVER Dji is in the future, be it here or somewhere else, that he gets the opportunity to grow and showcase his skills. I also hope that he has enjoyed being a student at the University of Richmond. If he decides to go on to greener pastures (and better coaching), I personally hope that you will return to this board from time to time and keep us updated. I've never met you personally but it seems like Dji has a fine father.
SpiderRick
Appreciate those kind words SpiderRick 🙏🏼✊🏼 Everyone I’ve met from the board at games and interacting with almost everyone up here has been a good time. UR is a great place and you can’t get too much better than a UR degree. Just want my son to play well and be given every opportunity so that he can. If you go to the games stop by sometime, always enjoy meeting you guys🕷️🏀

Reactions: SpiderRick
I guess that's the difference in panicking and not panicking. I remember last year some people on here gave up on the team and said it was time to play some new guys. How quickly they forget.

1. No if here. He is our best PG, and he is 21 games into his 1st season. I am not ready to say we failed to develop him. He looked pretty developed when he scored 21 against Northern Iowa, 19 against Drake, 16 against Davidson, and a few other games this year.

2. See #1. I am not ready to say we have failed to develop him. I think he is better than Wilson ever was or would have been at PG. Not every real good PG was special his freshman year.

3. I think he is clearly our best option. I don't see anyone else being a 30 minute PG for us. What is there to evaluate? You guys just really don't think practice means anything, do you? Maybe our coaches know Goose, Randolph, and Dji are not true PGs and know we would be a lot worse than even the last 3 games if we played them at PG more. Even SDad for the longest time said Dji was a "combo guard". Or, if you want to call Dji a PG, maybe it is obvious to all the coaches that Nelson is the better option. Sman made some good points about the last game. Nelson handled the ball great last game, and protected the ball. Why experiment with something that we would never do? Dji, Goose, and Randolph will not be our main PG next year, so again, what is there to evaluate? It's not like we have another freshman true PG that you think should get more time at PG. That would be different, but I think our staff knows we aren't winning the A-10 tourney with any of them playing a lot of minutes at PG. We just aren't. So, Nelson is the guy.

Sorry to say it but the 3 guys mentioned as possible PG’s for Nelson are all turnovers waiting to happen when playing PG.

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderDad75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT