ADVERTISEMENT

ECAC/CAA in Tarrant's year as coach

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
I am responding to a question from SpiderRick about how long I have been a Spider fan and do I have memories of the Dick Tarrant years. The answer is yes, I was a student when they hired him and consider him a great coach and probably the best the school has ever had. We did make it to the NCAA 5 times, primarily by winning the conference tournament of a very week conference. The first year we went, the ECAC only had 6 teams and most of the teams were not very good (that is a low bar to make the NCAA. Once the league became the CAA it grew to 8 the last time we made it to the NCAA under Tarrant and it was still made up mostly of pretty bad teams. During those years we consistently got our butts kicked by VCU and that is before they became one of the top mid-majors in the country during Mooney's years.

I loved going to games when I was a student and probably attended over 75% of the home games. I was also good friends with a couple players on the team. While I was there we had a number of exciting upsets and began the process of being considered a Cinderella team in the NCAA. What is a Cinderella team? It is a team that plays in a week conference and is not suppose to beat anyone good, but occasionally upsets a good team.

I don't want to be a Cinderella team and being in one the the top mid-major conference we no longer are. Many of you may have a different view and that is fine. There is nothing wrong with having different views as long as you respect the fact that other may view things differently. There are a lot of people on this board that post emotional comments that are intended to attach other individuals with the purpose of making the feel bad, which demonstrates a lack of class and maturity. If you have a different view point state your facts and also stay on the subject of the thread.

As mentioned before, there is zero chance of us moving to a low quality conference any time in the next decade.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Sadly, it seems that we are far away from even the Cinderella days. Much less the greater (to borrow a phrase from the football board) vision to which we all aspire.

I am responding to a question from SpiderRick about how long I have been a Spider fan and do I have memories of the Dick Tarrant years. The answer is yes, I was a student when they hired him and consider him a great coach and probably the best the school has ever had. We did make it to the NCAA 5 times, primarily by winning the conference tournament of a very week conference. The first year we went, the ECAC only had 6 teams and most of the teams were not very good (that is a low bar to make the NCAA. Once the league became the CAA it grew to 8 the last time we made it to the NCAA under Tarrant and it was still made up mostly of pretty bad teams. During those years we consistently got our butts kicked by VCU and that is before they became one of the top mid-majors in the country during Mooney's years.

I loved going to games when I was a student and probably attended over 75% of the home games. I was also good friends with a couple players on the team. While I was there we had a number of exciting upsets and began the process of being considered a Cinderella team in the NCAA. What is a Cinderella team? It is a team that plays in a week conference and is not suppose to beat anyone good, but occasionally upsets a good team.

I don't want to be a Cinderella team and being in one the the top mid-major conference we no longer are. Many of you may have a different view and that is fine. There is nothing wrong with having different views as long as you respect the fact that other may view things differently. There are a lot of people on this board that post emotional comments that are intended to attach other individuals with the purpose of making the feel bad, which demonstrates a lack of class and maturity. If you have a different view point state your facts and also stay on the subject of the thread.

As mentioned before, there is zero chance of us moving to a low quality conference any time in the next decade.
Good post and agree that we shouldn’t switch conferences — what a horrendous idea.
I won’t google how old you are based on the facts stated above. :)

By the way, VCU didn't become a top tier mid major when they joined the CAA. They played in the old Metro Conference which was considerably better than the CAA.

What I remember from those years is going 9-14 vs VCU from 1982-1992

I remember a lot of good individual players on those 5 to 7 opponents

Carlos Yates

Kenny Sanders

Vernon Butler

David Robinson

Frank Ross

Brian Rowsom

Blu Edwards

Keith Ciplicki

Steve Hood

Fess Irvin

and few others that played in the NBA.

There were always 2 or 3 tough opponents in those conferences in the Tarrant years.

I agree there weren’t many P5 regular season victories with those 27 game schedules. But I wouldn‘t call The teams in the CAA weak in their entirety. There were definitely some well organized and well coached teams.

I think the game has changed so much since then that even considering going back (taking a step down) is absurd.
You can no longer have one or two good players and have that make you able to occasionally succeed.
But I wouldn’t mock it for what it was.

I will say I’d rather be the underdog and always win instead of being the favorite and always losing if those were the only options.

Last edited:
By the way, VCU didn't become a top tier mid major when they joined the CAA. They played in the old Metro Conference which was considerably better than the CAA.
I think he means being consistently Top Tier starting with Capel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT