ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Thread

Hachimura was discovered by Gonzaga coaches during his junior year at Meisei High School in Tokyo. His breakout performance at the FIBA U17 World Championships in Dubai in August 2014 -- where he averaged a tournament-best 22.1 points -- got assistant coach Tommy Lloyd on a flight to Japan.

DO WE EVER GO TO THESE GAMES TO SCOUT ? uh, hello!!!!???
if i made a million plus a year i think i could find the time!

Reactions: spider23
Please end unsubstantiated comments. No one is leaving. Look forward to the Spiders' bright future. Roll Spide!

I agree Ulla! Need a little more proof than a random poster who has no proof. Could be legitimate but most likely isn't. Heck could be just a troll or a VCU fan trying to stir the pot. For now lets all enjoy some Sweet 16 action!

If I had to guess, I would say the players don't have faith in the defensive scheme. Or, they don't want to take another year to fully comprehend it. Maybe they think they will have to put up 80 each game to win. Even at the end of the season, the defense was still bad. Exhaustion may play a role. Hard to keep plugging at it when you are losing, playing out of position and not getting any relief from the bench. Who knows. But, until it happens it is just speculation.

Hachimura was discovered by Gonzaga coaches during his junior year at Meisei High School in Tokyo. His breakout performance at the FIBA U17 World Championships in Dubai in August 2014 -- where he averaged a tournament-best 22.1 points -- got assistant coach Tommy Lloyd on a flight to Japan.

DO WE EVER GO TO THESE GAMES TO SCOUT ? uh, hello!!!!???
if i made a million plus a year i think i could find the time!
On a different axis, I would take Moritz Wagner...

This guy has no actual source and could actually be a troll. Here I'm going to take my shot at doing this

Hey everyone, my uncle works at Arizona and my grandpa at Texas. Just heard from him DeAndre Ayton and Mo Bamba are forgoing the draft to finish their careers at Richmond.

See how easy it is to make things up...mine was just much more farfetched...but I could have easily said something about having a friend know Grant Golden and saying his brother is committing in the coming days or something about a grad transfer.
At least make it plausible. How about Bryce Golden and Dana Tate join Sal as the incoming class?

At least make it plausible. How about Bryce Golden and Dana Tate join Sal as the incoming class?

My point was to just make an outrageous claim as satire from what the original poster said. Wasn't supposed to be taken seriously at all! Figured the more outrageous the claim the more satirical it would be.

But hey if I was going to spread around some Fake News that would definitely be a good one to go with.

Believe only one schollie is available.

With only Sal coming in and Friendshuh, JMA, and Kirby leaving should be losing 3 and only adding 1 right? Or are one of those guys not on scholarship

With only Sal coming in and Friendshuh, JMA, and Kirby leaving should be losing 3 and only adding 1 right? Or are one of those guys not on scholarship
Kirby was a walk on as a freshman & a senior. Scholarship in between...

Reactions: plydogg
Correct; ergo, two schollies were available.
You mean ARE available.

Sal, 3 redshirts, Gilyard, Golden, Cayo, Sherod, Buckingham, Fore, Johnson is 11. 13 scholarships total.

Do you know someone else on next years’s roster?

Losing any of our starters would be really deflating and would be a major setback for a program that can't afford many setbacks.

If we were to lose Khwan & Nick, I would love to hear the response from the Mooney truthers as to how greatness is right around the corner.

Really hoping this rumor is just that. I think Nick has potential to be one of our all time great scorers.

I don't think the players are buying into the defensive side of the system. For whatever reason, coach, players, scheme, execution, focus, fans on message boards, blah, blah, blah. You can lay the blame/reason wherever you want to. You can talk about players coming together, gelling, or not. I think in the end, they don't think they will become a quality team within the current situation.(again, for whatever reason you want to come up with) If you look at the speculative rumors, they don't seem to be coming from the 2 positions at the opposite ends. They are coming from the middle 3 where the matchups are not good for the current players. Maybe Fore thinks of himself as a PG. If he is going to have a future playing professionally, that is where he will play. He is not acquiring the skills/development on the defensive side of the ball that he needs to play professionally. It could be his fault. Who knows? Same for the other 2.

I don't think the players are buying into the defensive side of the system. For whatever reason, coach, players, scheme, execution, focus, fans on message boards, blah, blah, blah. You can lay the blame/reason wherever you want to. You can talk about players coming together, gelling, or not. I think in the end, they don't think they will become a quality team within the current situation.(again, for whatever reason you want to come up with) If you look at the speculative rumors, they don't seem to be coming from the 2 positions at the opposite ends. They are coming from the middle 3 where the matchups are not good for the current players. Maybe Fore thinks of himself as a PG. If he is going to have a future playing professionally, that is where he will play. He is not acquiring the skills/development on the defensive side of the ball that he needs to play professionally. It could be his fault. Who knows? Same for the other 2.

I agree. If any of these kids leave, there is going to blame cast in all different directions. At the end of the day, I think the real reason will be that we have some guys that are 6'3" and 210 pounds that are tired of being leaned on by 6'8" 245 pound guys as their primary defensive assignment. I really hope this does not happen but this is my fear.

If any of the players leave we are going to be a much worse team next year than if they had stayed. Next year could go in wildly different directions depending on the offseason. If we bring in Bryce (or anyone who can immediately contribute at the 4) and he, Sal and Cayo can handle the 4 at a decent level we will be a good team next year in the running for A10 regular season champions. If we lose players this offseason and Sal needs time to adjust and we don't bring in a solid 4 we will probably have a similar season to the one we just had. Not good. This is a critical offseason for Mooney, if he can't keep the team together he will likely have a bad season next year and will likely be fired. If he can manage to keep everyone together and get a solid rotation with size going at the 4 he will be in contention for a bid for the next 2 or 3 seasons at least. I have no idea how it will play out, but I am going to be watching the games and supporting the players either way.

Last edited:
I agree. If any of these kids leave, there is going to blame cast in all different directions. At the end of the day, I think the real reason will be that we have some guys that are 6'3" and 210 pounds that are tired of being leaned on by 6'8" 245 pound guys as their primary defensive assignment. I really hope this does not happen but this is my fear.
who's 6'3" 210???
man, we project a lot on these guys with what we think they're feeling.

who's 6'3" 210???
man, we project a lot on these guys with what we think they're feeling.

I don't step on the scale with anyone except myself and my personal regrets but you tell me who guards power forwards in our system and why.

At this point in time this board is officially a net negative to our basketball program. I sincerely hope any kid interested in playing basketball at Richmond does not come on here to check things out. The incessant negativity has driven many of the neutral posters away so it has become a constant churn of complaining and whining. It's basically like turning on Rachel Maddow to hear something good about Trump. Why express your displeasure in the program once or twice when you can rehash the same things dozens of times with the other 15 posters that account for 80% of everything on here? Every single thread turns into armchair quarterbacking by the handful of self proclaimed coaching geniuses on here. There is no more sharing of information or discussion, it all ends up in one side vs. the other. It is no longer a message board but a place to bitch and complain. Maybe that's how they all end up - I don't know. All I know is that I come on this board a fraction of what I used to and I always seem to wish I hadn't.

At this point in time this board is officially a net negative to our basketball program. I sincerely hope any kid interested in playing basketball at Richmond does not come on here to check things out. The incessant negativity has driven many of the neutral posters away so it has become a constant churn of complaining and whining. It's basically like turning on Rachel Maddow to hear something good about Trump. Why express your displeasure in the program once or twice when you can rehash the same things dozens of times with the other 15 posters that account for 80% of everything on here? Every single thread turns into armchair quarterbacking by the handful of self proclaimed coaching geniuses on here. There is no more sharing of information or discussion, it all ends up in one side vs. the other. It is no longer a message board but a place to bitch and complain. Maybe that's how they all end up - I don't know. All I know is that I come on this board a fraction of what I used to and I always seem to wish I hadn't.

Come on guys. Let's tidy it up for Pike. I've been really concerned about him and his band of neutrals.

#MakeRichmondBasketballNeutralAgain

Excellent analysis 2011. I do agree that dependent on this offseason things could go drastically different next year.

Agree with Moliva's point about our guards having to play and guard power forwards. URI played a lot of 4 guard, but they were an attacking ball pressure defense. And they were winning big the last two years. When you are losing, and playing out of position, it starts to suck and has to just be a energy/enthusiasm stealer on a daily basis. To 2011's point - you get Bryce G in here - and he can contribute from day one - that balances the roster quite a bit - especially if Cayo and Sal can contribute.

If Fore goes the ANO route, our defense will be in DIRE straights. Keeping guards in front of us and out of the paint is a big problem the last few years, and he is one guy that can do this on D.

So yes, hope Mooney is in daily contact and not going to get the Shocker like he supposedly did with ANO.

I don't step on the scale with anyone except myself and my personal regrets but you tell me who guards power forwards in our system and why.
our forwards both weigh 230. yes we're a little shorter than ideal at the forward spot. but we start our top 5. we've gone though this before but we don't play the traditional 1-5 even though we fans like to use those designations. we play 2 guards, 2 forwards and a post. Gilyard and Fore at guard both play point and off guard. there's no distinction. same at forward.

as for our poor forwards who have to play taller guys ... they're 3" shorter but 25 lbs heavier than Cayo. so is Cayo undersized? no, he's not.
personally, I think Nick is better off banging with a forward than trying to cover the range at the top of our match up or chasing a quicker guard. Buck too.

look around college basketball. there are a lot of teams playing guys with perimeter skills at the 1-4 spots ... some even the 5 like we do. we're not small in the front court compared to many other teams. and I doubt any of our players are whining about being smaller like you're saying they are.

Reactions: Ulla1

You might remember that you and I had a conversation about this back in the D Williams/KO era and that big PF from St. Joes with the long last name. I only bring it up now because it ties in with the current UR recruiting situations. Now Mooney's current "enforcer" is a 6'4"/230 guard! You are exactly right as to why those players might be looking elsewhere. Same for Fore and JG. When the switches come, they are trying to guard a person nearly a foot taller and 75-100lbs heavier. Meanwhile GG and PF are stuck in the corner on a waterbug that either hits a 3 in their face or blows by for the easy bucket. Buck is supposed to be the enforcer/rim protector there also. I don't get it and just scratch my head.The players looking around might be scratching their heads also. Buck could be doing it for health reasons. In the current setup, that health scare he had during the season might become a common occurrence if he doesn't get some bench help.

our forwards both weigh 230. yes we're a little shorter than ideal at the forward spot. but we start our top 5. we've gone though this before but we don't play the traditional 1-5 even though we fans like to use those designations. we play 2 guards, 2 forwards and a post. Gilyard and Fore at guard both play point and off guard. there's no distinction. same at forward.

as for our poor forwards who have to play taller guys ... they're 3" shorter but 25 lbs heavier than Cayo. so is Cayo undersized? no, he's not.
personally, I think Nick is better off banging with a forward than trying to cover the range at the top of our match up or chasing a quicker guard. Buck too.

look around college basketball. there are a lot of teams playing guys with perimeter skills at the 1-4 spots ... some even the 5 like we do. we're not small in the front court compared to many other teams. and I doubt any of our players are whining about being smaller like you're saying they are.

They might not be whining about it. They just might not believe they can become a contender with the current situation.

You mean ARE available.

Sal, 3 redshirts, Gilyard, Golden, Cayo, Sherod, Buckingham, Fore, Johnson is 11. 13 scholarships total.

Do you know someone else on next years’s roster?
mite, you are exactly right. Two schollies are available in addition to the one already filled by Sal.

Our "forwards" were both guards in high school. And yes, I look at the teams in the tournament and have yet to find one that starts 4 guys all under 6'4.

Reactions: KWeaver
I think Philly and and Fezz are proclaimed coaching geniuses, I think Mo, 97, myself are just armchair guys?
Wait, I was captain of your all star team and now I am reduced to an armchair guy. Talk about the Friendshuh treatment. Now, your not even going to play me on Senior night,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT