ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Thread

OMG. You think Mooney failed with Buck and shares the blame? Really? No way. Buck was A-10 freshman of the year, remember? So, is it all because of Buck and no assist from Mooney that he received this honor as a freshman, but now a year later when he messes up and lets his team down, it's now Mooney's fault?

No way. This is 100% on Buck.

OMG. You think Mooney failed with Buck and shares the blame? Really? No way. Buck was A-10 freshman of the year, remember? So, is it all because of Buck and no assist from Mooney that he received this honor as a freshman, but now a year later when he messes up and lets his team down, it's now Mooney's fault?

Mooney's job is recruit, develop and graduate players who will contribute meaningfully to the team's success for four years. Buckingham didn't make it through two school years. That's a failure.

I think Mooney told JOC that Buck was dismissed. He wants to make this situation look better, this just shows how tight of a grip Mooney has on the program.

no idea what this infraction was or the one during the season, but seems typical today to blame others.
at some point, you're responsible for your actions. Buck's an adult.

and the conspiracy thing? come on. anyone believing that is accusing UR of a crime. I'll side with the athletic department here.

what a shame.

Reactions: plydogg
Come on spiderman, you don't think the timing is a little funny?
of course. the timing is awful. but do I think Mooney and whoever is responsible in the athletic department are going to stick their necks out to be sued over a wrongful dismissal? uh, no. Mooney needs Buck and he knows it.

we've said when there's smoke there's fire, right? Buck did something. If not, we'll hear about it.

I don't want bodies. I want good players just like you. I'd love 13 of them. but even if we have 13 good players, 4-5 won't play. too many people here will point to the 4-5 that aren't playing and say they're recruiting misses. too many people write off the current freshmen class without giving them a chance.
I don’t think that’s accurate. I think the complaint is we have a lack of quality at spots 7/8/9 and go find grad transfers or recruits that don’t improve us, so we do need to be better up to our 8th and maybe 9th guy, although agree that player 9 isn’going to play a ton.

Think Buck’s situation has nothing at all to do with Chris Mooney or the losing record last season.

Why? What is the basis for your opinion? Seriously.
Wouldn't a losing season, only two years of eligibility remaining and questionable prospects of an immediate major improvement, and being forced to play other than your natural position bother you if you were a highly recruited, all-state high school athlete?

That said, regardless of what members post on this board, Mooney's not leaving this year, probably not next year either, unless he decides to step down on his own, even if Buck leaves the program, which seems likely based upon what I have read on this board. Not saying that Mooney shouldn't be shown the door. I'm just saying that the firing of a coach is a rare event at UR, especially when dealing with a coach with only one losing season in the last ten years. I wish we had a different performance model or measure for success which had a limited look-back period and had specific criteria imposed as a requirement for continued employment, but we don't.

Mooney has de facto tenure. He will only be dismissed if he continues to underperform for at least two or three more years or if he commits a major moral transgression.
Mooney's not a bad coach. He's just a bad recruiter on a consistent basis, and he fails to hire assistants to overcome that flaw.

So the bluster is wasted. Time to accept reality by either dealing with it honestly or, as some may prefer, keeping your head in the sand and continuing the unfounded positive spin.

Reactions: Ulla1
Khwan would not have played anywhere close to 40 minutes a game next year because our days of playing 4 guys 6'4 or smaller 35+ minutes a game are over. We will be taller next year, no matter who stays and who leaves.

Maybe he is leaving because as a senior he didn't want to play 10-15 minutes a game and be Jacob's backup, and instead feels he could get at least the same if not more playing time elsewhere, and as a bonus be closer to home.

If Mooney were as bad as some are saying and the players were upset with the coaching they were getting, certainly we would have heard something from someone by now. But, those with an agenda, keep firing away if that makes you happy. Meanwhile, I will continue to be excited about what next year looks like. Jacob, Nick, and Grant are as good as or better than any other A-10 team's top 3, and Buck would have made it a heck of a top 4, and would have been smart to not break rules and enjoy the ride the next 2 years.

I still think our chance of dancing next year, and especially in 2 years is as good as or better than any other A-10 team. Who in the A-10 is clearly better than us right now?

It is purely your speculation that Fore would only get 10-15 mutes a game next year. Are you connecting dots & giving opinion, or do you have a pipeline into what CM has revealed? Have you heard Mooney say this or imply this? One of the best players we have & with 5th year leadership would see his minutes go from 30 + to 10 to 15? That seems implausible.

Reactions: KWeaver
Admittedly, I don’t know all of the details, but I have some level of inside information that indicated DMB wasn’t a model student and has had prior problems that involved disciplinary action. I don’t think there’s a lot of credence that this is anything more than UR was obligated to dismiss him from the team. My understanding is he hasn’t been dismissed from school which suggests a more middling infraction.

I don’t put this on CM but the state of the program is really pretty poor which I do hold him accountable for. Still feels like it’s time to part ways.

Maybe he is leaving because as a senior he didn't want to play 10-15 minutes a game

Do you really think so? A PRODUCTIVE player who averaged 20, 33, and 32 minutes per game will now drop down to 10-15 his senior year due to his size deficiency? I would say the team would be better serve with an undersized JJ losing all his minutes at the 3 position.

Reactions: plydogg
unicorns-and-rainbows-Rainbow-Unicorn.png

Admittedly, I don’t know all of the details, but I have some level of inside information that indicated DMB wasn’t a model student and has had prior problems that involved disciplinary action. I don’t think there’s a lot of credence that this is anything more than UR was obligated to dismiss him from the team. My understanding is he hasn’t been dismissed from school which suggests a more middling infraction.

I don’t put this on CM but the state of the program is really pretty poor which I do hold him accountable for. Still feels like it’s time to part ways.
Well passing drug tests isn’t a condition of enrollment for a student

Real leadership and bottom line responsibility with everything that goes on at the program rests with the head coach. It frankly amazes me that people like you will go out of their way to blame anything and everything else that constantly goes wrong with our program on any number of factors except the person who is responsible for everything, the head coach.

So, yes Buck may have screwed up in this individual circumstance and in a vacuum you might say this is all Buck's fault. But that would not seeing the forest through the trees. That forest being 7 straight no NCAA's, multiple and consistent recruiting failures, 5 player defections (for various reasons) this year, a 12 win season, a g-d damn really bleak next season coming at us and a continued complete lack of accountability for any of this nor a willingness to change one damn thing that got us in this deep dark hole we sit in.

All I know, if I am developing a basketball program, I take the Demonte Buckinghmam's of the world everyday on Sunday over the Chris Mooney's of the world. Buck is going to go to a different program now and do great things. We are still stuck with frickin Chris Mooney and until someone gets the balls up to fire his dreadful behind, there is not anything special happening here.

Looking at Buck’s girlfriends twitter page, a lot of talk about KF to ETSU. Imagine if we lose both to Johnson City.... Way to go Chris

Almost like ETSU is closer to his hometown than Richmond. Crazy that what Khwan said was true, I know.

If we lose KF and DMB to ETSU, I say out with Mooney and let’s move Forbes in. He obviously recruits our players better than we do
Lol, sad but true. But he's also a better coach in general and a very hot name right now.

Probably why little Golden knocked us off the list so early. Knew that we were en route to becoming Pitt lite!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT