ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tournament general thread

And Sprinkle is headed to Washington just a year after replacing Odom.

pretty quick negotiation since they lost yesterday.

same with Washington State coach. same with Utah St coach. We had it with Mike London going to UVA and 1 foot out door. I don't like the optics of being so fast but the agents are negotiating behind the scenes.

Utah State got the complete one year overhaul and now back to ground zero. Wild. Maybe Odom will cut the NIT nets and get back on a plane to Utah

Oh no. Let's not go there with the NIT nets. What's better to cut down - reg season league champs or NIT championship? I say u don't cut down for being 69th place either, but I will be told I'm crazy. 100% Richmond would cut.

I doubt it's just the agent.
bad look for a coach getting blown out yesterday to be agreeing to terms the next day.
With the portal the way it is, I can see why this happens. And what would you do if you were Byington? Wait long enough to not make it a bad look, and miss out on what will probably be 3 million a year at Vandy when he was making about 450,000 at JMU?

Reactions: urfan1
agree to terms but ask for a couple days before announcing to get things in order.

but that's easy for me to say having never had that offer.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
agree to terms but ask for a couple days before announcing to get things in order.

but that's easy for me to say having never had that offer.
Yes, they maybe could have done it that way, but that is a couple days you fall behind in the portal. And a couple days JMU falls behind in their coaching search. I could see it already being a done deal and Vandy saying we are announcing the day after your season ends. I also wonder if Byington maybe told his players after the game. It's just a different world we live in now with the portal the way it is. It's best for all parties involved this way. Best for Byington and Vandy, and best for JMU and their players.

Reactions: spiderman
Oh no. Let's not go there with the NIT nets. What's better to cut down - reg season league champs or NIT championship? I say u don't cut down for being 69th place either, but I will be told I'm crazy. 100% Richmond would cut.
I think cutting down the nets after your last game until November that was a win is ok….

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, they maybe could have done it that way, but that is a couple days you fall behind in the portal. And a couple days JMU falls behind in their coaching search. I could see it already being a done deal and Vandy saying we are announcing the day after your season ends. I also wonder if Byington maybe told his players after the game. It's just a different world we live in now with the portal the way it is. It's best for all parties involved this way. Best for Byington and Vandy, and best for JMU and their players.

Nah I can't see Byington telling his players that right after game. too disrespectful. U take your work in the portal with u from job to job. Coaching searches have always moved fast. imo I do think there is some room to adjust on these leave the very next day ones. but idk it's cutthroat.

We know things have to be going on behind the scenes, but if that is no big deal, and maybe it's not, let's have just 1 coach say that in their opening press conference. Like hey I was talking with the school for days or weeks during my previous team's season. But that coach would be the very first to say it.

Reactions: spiderman
Aztecs had a nice year. I was afraid it could be blow out territory yesterday. After the first 5 minutes I started getting hopeful but they could not buy a 3. Hoping someone can give uconn a game and possibly upset them, bit does not look good.
Was not expecting both Caleb Love and RJ Davis to completely turn In awful performances. Really was expecting that match up and the ensuing hype.
Kind of pulling for Gonzaga now. Mid major turned mega major.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Aztecs had a nice year. I was afraid it could be blow out territory yesterday. After the first 5 minutes I started getting hopeful but they could not buy a 3. Hoping someone can give uconn a game and possibly upset them, bit does not look good.
Was not expecting both Caleb Love and RJ Davis to completely turn In awful performances. Really was expecting that match up and the ensuing hype.
Kind of pulling for Gonzaga now. Mid major turned mega major.
Yeah, the UNC game kind of stunned me. Alabama plays no defense and thought UNC would exploit that. But that is the nature of the one and done format of the NCAA tournament.

I will tell you a player that is really exciting is Shannon from Illinois. Just an explosive alpha player. I don't know if he is taking down UConn though, they are just dominating right now.

Spradlin to JMU. He was on my futures spreadsheet. No, not making that public like the transfer portal one. Bourne has done a good job with his back to back football and bball hires imo.

Every team that wins the NIT cuts down the nets. No more games to play. Season over and you won your last game.

I do like Gkiller's fight though. Just wish our admin had more of an NCAA or bust attitude. Fun game let's count how many NCAAs Charleston goes to in the next 10 years vs the Spiders. Probably be 5 to 1 or 2, and Mack may only be their a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I do like Gkiller's fight though. Just wish our admin had more of an NCAA or bust attitude. Fun game let's count how many NCAAs Charleston goes to in the next 10 years vs the Spiders. Probably be 5 to 1 or 2, and Mack may only be their a few years.
If the A10 is looking to fill the UMass vacancy, Mack may be the straw that stirs the drink to get them in.

Yes, Boyle brought her in as her top assistant when she got the UR job. She went to Cal with Boyle, got a top job of her own at UCSB, then came back to take over Cal when Boyle went to UVA.

There's another link to UR too...Beilein later recruited her to be an assistant with the Cavs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT