ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Thread

Sorry 97, I am going to need to put you on the short leash. You may keep the "C" on your uniform. I will work you into blowouts, but NO turnovers please. You are safe to invite family to senior night, I will get you at least 45 seconds, probably more.

Now go cheer your beloved Nittany Lions on to a national championship.

You might remember that you and I had a conversation about this back in the D Williams/KO era and that big PF from St. Joes with the long last name. I only bring it up now because it ties in with the current UR recruiting situations. Now Mooney's current "enforcer" is a 6'4"/230 guard!

I don't remember the conversation but yes, exactly. Personally, I liked the idea of a high post 5 like Geriot or Cline or TJC that paired what a 'widebody' like Derrick Williams or Peter Woolfork type at 4 to play the low block. Those guys exist. It sort of inverts how everyone else is recruiting their bigs.

Buck didn't look at tape of Peter Woolfork when he came here. The kid wants to be a distributor like he was in high school.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I don't remember the conversation but yes, exactly. Personally, I liked the idea of a high post 5 like Geriot or Cline or TJC that paired what a 'widebody' like Derrick Williams or Peter Woolfork type at 4 to play the low block. Those guys exist. It sort of inverts how everyone else is recruiting their bigs.

Buck didn't look at tape of Peter Woolfork when he came here. The kid wants to be a distributor like he was in high school.

I am not familiar with the conversations, but even though he was only 6'6 DWill was a very solid and strong 270. He did not get pushed around by anyone, and pretty much always shared the court with another big (either Garrett, TA or ANO). Would be great to have someone like that next year.

I am not familiar with the conversations, but even though he was only 6'6 DWill was a very solid and strong 270. He did not get pushed around by anyone, and pretty much always shared the court with another big (either Garrett, TA or ANO). Would be great to have someone like that next year.

Yes, yes and yes. That type of player has been elusive for us over the last 5 years. Terry Allen could play on the low block on offense but he floated around more. Completely different player.

Reactions: jimbog
I dunno, if I'm Nick, Buck, Grant, Jacob, or Khwan, I could just as easily be thinking:
- I play 30+ minutes a game in a not-quite-P6 conference
- I'm gonna crack 1000 career points this coming year (or next year, for Gilyard), and have a chance to be one of the top 25 scorers of all time at the school
- I enjoy my teammates
- I go to a great school with attractive women (or men)
- I am on a team that has a starting 5 that could be one of the best starting 5s in school history

I might stay and see what happens instead of going to some other school and sitting out a year and restarting all of my relationships and hoping that I chose correctly.

having non-offensive big men hasn't worked out for us in a long time. I love having Grant at the 5 and hope a guy like Sal becomes a force with length on both ends of the floor. and Bryce of course.

I dunno, if I'm Nick, Buck, Grant, Jacob, or Khwan, I could just as easily be thinking:
- I'm gonna crack 1000 career points this coming year (or next year, for Gilyard), and have a chance to be one of the top 25 scorers of all time at the school
- I enjoy my teammates
- I am on a team that has a starting 5 that could be one of the best starting 5s in school history

I might stay and see what happens instead of going to some other school and sitting out a year and restarting all of my relationships and hoping that I chose correctly.
we know they have a good bond. I think it'll come down to what they feel about each other as players. we lost a lot of games and some are saying we'll lose again because we're playing the same players. that doesn't account for natural development and improvement. but if they don't believe the team will be a ton better next year then yes, I can see guys leaving.

if you're a starter and you think the other starters are really talented, you probably stay. unless you hate the school that much, or have a terrible relationship with the coaches. I don't think a starter is thinking about depth as much as some here think. I've never known a competitive basketball player looking for a better player behind him so he can rest more. you want to be on the floor.

- I enjoy my teammates

Kneepad, I crept past 20 years old a few weeks ago :), but that is exactly what I would be thinking. Hopefully each one of these young men have someone around them that reminds them of the excellent reasons to stay that you gave.

length is more important than weight.

Agreement with all here posting if any starters leave not GOOD news. If so only proves not all the players are buying into what CM is selling. Would deflate the idea some posters here have that if CM was canned, players would transfer. I give it 90% no one leaves.

Reactions: KWeaver
Guess that explains why we haven't been recruiting much... Mooney is busy re-recruiting his current players.

we're not small in the front court compared to many other teams. and I doubt any of our players are whining about being smaller like you're saying they are.

I agree with the second statement but objectively we are undersized against most of our A10 competition, not just at the forward spots but the guard spots too:

UR - 5-9/6-0/6-4/6-4/6-10
VCU - 6-1/6-5/6-5/6-6/6-8
URI - 6-0/6-3/6-3/6-4/6-6
GWU - 6-2/6-4/6-8/6-8/6-9
DAV - 6-4/6-5/6-6/6-8/6-11
GMU - 5-11/6-4/6-4/6-5/6-7
SLU - 6-4/6-6/6-7/6-7/6-8
SBU - 6-2/6-3/6-4/6-5/6-6
DAY - 6-1/6-2/6-5/6-5/6-7
FOR - 6-1/6-3/6-6/6-7/6-10
DUQ - 6-1/6-2/6-2/6-5/6-8
LAS - 6-0/6-2/6-4/6-6/6-10
MASS - 5-11/6-2/6-4//6-6/6-11
SJU - 6-0/6-3/6-6/6-8/6-9

There is no team except URI who played as small as UR at the 4. There is also no team that played as small at 1&2 combined as UR.

Size isn’t everything and I don’t think this hurts us tangibly on offense but I think our defensive style is poorly served with a lineup that’s small. I expect the answer doesn’t have to be to play bigger guys, but it may require we play a defensive set that doesn’t disadvantage our players due to size.

I actually think we could afford to lose Fore if we were able to pick up BG. That would potentially leave us with JG, DB, NS, GG, and BG starting, with Cayo, JJ, and possibly Sal coming off the bench. It would be interesting if we were able to add one of the redshirts to the rotation, we might actually have some decent depth.

But that means that CM needs to make sure the others stay onboard. Easier said than done, I think.

I am not familiar with the conversations, but even though he was only 6'6 DWill was a very solid and strong 270.

On the plus side, DWill was 270#, had a 7 foot plus wingspan, his hands were over 10 inches from fingertip to wrist, and he could bench 350# for reps, which is impressive for a guy with such long arms.

On the minus side, which was a big minus, was that he was a foul machine and that limited his time on the floor. He had terrible foot speed (worse than TJC) and he ended up with a lot of reaching and holding fouls. Not to mention the big strong guys almost always get the short end of close calls. Recall the Charlotte debacle when CM was tossed at the end of the game.

I think Terry Allen was a better offensive player in the low post. I just wish he would have finished out his senior season like he started.

On the plus side, DWill was 270#, had a 7 foot plus wingspan, his hands were over 10 inches from fingertip to wrist, and he could bench 350# for reps, which is impressive for a guy with such long arms.

On the minus side, which was a big minus, was that he was a foul machine and that limited his time on the floor. He had terrible foot speed (worse than TJC) and he ended up with a lot of reaching and holding fouls. Not to mention the big strong guys almost always get the short end of close calls. Recall the Charlotte debacle when CM was tossed at the end of the game.

I think Terry Allen was a better offensive player in the low post. I just wish he would have finished out his senior season like he started.
DWill couldn’t turn his head either. I am sure that was an injury at some point, but would get beat on defense often because of it.

Reactions: jimbog

His senior year, after his back problems, DWill did have a higher foul rate, but before that he did not foul more than TJC or TA on a per minute or per possession basis.

Doesn’t Evansville have quite a few transfers out?
Yes, the whole team except one guy, although they may not all end up going elsewhere. But eight transfer releases plus two recruits who were given NLI releases.

wouldn't he have to sit one year and only have one left to play -- BTW why is he leaving Evansville

Reactions: plydogg
These are the kind of actual players we need to be going after. Glad to see this.
This is the kind of players we need? A two star recruit with no Power5 offers, best offer from Indiana State. Where is 97 when you need him?

Occasionally you find a Kevin Anderson, but most of the time if very few want him there is generally a reason.

Reactions: plydogg
Fishing in the guard pond for transfers has to make you think we’re going to have some open guard spots, right?

Or it could mean we're getting depth at a position we were shallow at last year and that we may end up having a bench player we can have more confidence in. Also, just looking through his profile on ESPN, he was listed as a forward his freshman year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT