ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tournament general thread

The Pac-12 is 4-0 and guaranteed at least eight games. Oregon, Colorado and Arizona just gave the Pac-2 a $12 million parting gift, with more possibly to come.

I'd certainly think Oregon and Arizona are favored in their next two and Colorado has a shot against Florida.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
That was a truly horrible call against Samford. As clean a block as you will ever see, should have had the ball in transition trailing 90-89.

Plus they would have had a 5-on-4 on the offensive end, with Timberlake having taken himself out of the play.
The whistle favored Kansas all night. That call was just the icing on the cake

The Pac-12 is 4-0 and guaranteed at least eight games. Oregon, Colorado and Arizona just gave the Pac-2 a $12 million parting gift, with more possibly to come.

I'd certainly think Oregon and Arizona are favored in their next two and Colorado has a shot against Florida.
Serious question, is their a pac12 next year? If not who gets the money? Pac also had one of their best years in football too as the cease to exist. Oregon State and Washingto State joining the MW? Can't keep track.

I believe I heard they had 2 years to get back to 6 or more teams

That was a truly horrible call against Samford. As clean a block as you will ever see, should have had the ball in transition trailing 90-89.

Plus they would have had a 5-on-4 on the offensive end, with Timberlake having taken himself out of the play.

Hard to imagine there being a worse call in a worse spot for the rest of the ncaa tournament. But if there is it will definitely benefit the blue blood. Samford was going to win that game.

Serious question, is their a pac12 next year? If not who gets the money? Pac also had one of their best years in football too as the cease to exist. Oregon State and Washingto State joining the MW? Can't keep track.
The Pac-12 will continue as a two-team league for the next two years. WSU and OSU get the NCAA unit money and will continue to do so as long as the Pac remains a viable league. They have two years of transition time before they have to either form a new conference by finding teams from other leagues to join them, or perhaps a full merger with the MWC.

They could also possibly be invited to a P4 conference but that is unlikely without a complete breakup of the ACC, which could drive Cal, Stanford and SMU back to the West Coast.

For the next two years, all OSU/WSU sports except football will play as affiliate members of the West Coast Conference (OSU baseball will be an independent; WSU is playing in the WCC). Football has a scheduling deal with the MWC, they will play seven MWC opponents but not be eligible for the MWC championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23 and urfan1
Luke Hunger played 29 minutes in a tounament win today. guess he's not hitting the portal.

nice to know we're targetting the right guys.
even though we missed on Hunger/Buchanan/Avila/Reed/Durkin, they all look pretty good.

The SEC sucks, haha. Yale over Auburn. Auburn got so many offensive rebounds and missed so many shot shots at the rim at the end of the game.

I have watched JMU a couple times this season and they are impressive. Roll out 5 guys that seem to be in constant attack mode and playing at a different speed than their opponent. I did wonder if it was mostly the level of opponent making them look better than they are. But Wisconsin and Michigan State seem to validate. Guessing their coach Byington enters the portal:)

I have watched JMU a couple times this season and they are impressive. Roll out 5 guys that seem to be in constant attack mode and playing at a different speed than their opponent. I did wonder if it was mostly the level of opponent making them look better than they are. But Wisconsin and Michigan State seem to validate. Guessing their coach Byington enters the portal:)
Grand Canyon looked great too. And your comment could apply to them as well. Neither of those teams would have even been considered for an at large if they didnt win their tourney, but both would have beaten any middle tier P6 team yesterday.

The Pac-12 will continue as a two-team league for the next two years. WSU and OSU get the NCAA unit money and will continue to do so as long as the Pac remains a viable league. They have two years of transition time before they have to either form a new conference by finding teams from other leagues to join them, or perhaps a full merger with the MWC.

They could also possibly be invited to a P4 conference but that is unlikely without a complete breakup of the ACC, which could drive Cal, Stanford and SMU back to the West Coast.

For the next two years, all OSU/WSU sports except football will play as affiliate members of the West Coast Conference (OSU baseball will be an independent; WSU is playing in the WCC). Football has a scheduling deal with the MWC, they will play seven MWC opponents but not be eligible for the MWC championship.
It's like you're a journalist that's covered one of the two remaining teams or something...

Reactions: urfan1

Very impressed. Hard to type that. I could count the number of easy baskets Wisco got on 1 hand. Like I said above it looked like the seeds were reversed. All game. Wisco had nobody that could beat them off the dribble. Our athleted them.

I like our transfer strategy for most part. Get proven guys at lower level looking to step up. But we could really use a transfer down athletic guy too.

I watched that game. Thought JMU looked really good. I liked their aggressiveness. Also thought Wisconsin the perfect matchup for them. Wisconsin seemed soft and passive. Their big guy for Wisconsin didn’t play at the basket much and he was the least bit aggressive.

Last edited:
I like our transfer strategy for most part. Get proven guys at lower level looking to step up. But we could really use a transfer down athletic guy too.
Agree on both accounts, we have identified and landed guys that are good. But I do think we lack size / athleticism to compete and win those OOC games as much as needed for a bid. Bigs and Dji were guys that are in the size / athleticism mold we could use. We knew Quinn, for all his nice attributes (size/skill) was a step slow. Dlo and King had GREAT seasons, but give me a Gonzo or Blair sized 2 guard as well.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I dont think the Dukes can play worse D. You would think coach would try a zone. Seems 2nd round blowouts are common for A10 teams.

Last edited:
It's like you're a journalist that's covered one of the two remaining teams or something...
Ha, not for more than 10 years! But I try to keep my ears and eyes open. And even though I haven't been there for almost 10 years I still know my way around Pullman/Moscow.

Reactions: spider fan
Aztecs roll. Finally hit a few 3's. Going to need all of those and more to have a chance vs Uconn. Not thrilled with the match up as Ledee will probably be a bit neutralized. It could get ugly, but nice year after being in a position for a huge letdown after losing in the championship game. Just tremendous culture. In his interview Dutcher said we are built on defense and rebounding. And rebounding. And rebounding. Note to Boyden, don't let Mooney de-emphasize rebounding.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Aztecs roll. Finally hit a few 3's. Going to need all of those and more to have a chance vs Uconn. Not thrilled with the match up as Ledee will probably be a bit neutralized.
Ledee was really impressive last night.

Yep, Ledee actually had a monster year and was a 3rd team all american. Down the stretch, and the first round game, SDSU became over dependent on Ledee I believe. Kind of similar to Spiders and King. But obviously you want to go down with your best option.

Ledee was a transfer, that actually sat out a year two years ago, and really improved his offense. Between Clingan and Samson, Uconn has two guys that can match up with him. So the other guys are getting to have make some shots. The game is 84 miles from Uconn, so its going to be a huge Uconn crowd in Boston Thursday as well.

Reactions: spiderman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT