ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Allen, another quiet double, double

TBSpyder

Graduate Assistant
Sep 24, 2011
Terry is the real deal, why don't we use him more? He's the one player who can attack big, physical teams, small, mobile teams. He's our most consistent player. Let's build a team around him.

TBS, I hope we do. TJ and SDJ will be there too. I sure hope the the new kids are really good quick.

This post was edited on 3/24 11:09 PM by SpiderK

We better build it fast, TB, unless you know of a way to get him more than one more year of eligibility.

I ask this question after every game. We forget about our post talent the more the game goes on. Disappointing

He improved a great deal the second half of the season. He is often guarded by a smaller guy underneath and he finally started taking these guys to the basket. I hope he can work on his jump shot this summer which will make him very tough to guard next year. He does need to work on his passing. he made some really awful passes this year. I would say he was the most improved player on the team this year.

Terry Allen had a monster second half of the season that I think went largely unnoticed. Somewhere at the mid point of this season, something clicked and he started demanding the ball and pounding it inside and realized that with his size and ball handling ability that he is an absolute match-up nightmare for the other team.

I think his game is better than Harp's game was at the end of his Junior year. Harp was a better 3 point shooter than Terry (and Terry needs to work on that in the offseason) but Terry has a much better and more polished inside game than Harp did. And where do you want an 6-8 guy do the majority of his scoring, inside. And in addition to scoring, his defense is underrated. He is out best defensive rebounder and has shown an ability to generate a lot of impactful steals for a big man.

Barring injury, Terry will be an all A-10 player next year and when I say all A-10, I am speaking of first team. He is that good.

97. With you about TA. Way ahead of Harper. Harper didn't sniff a rebound or go inside until his senior year. He can dominate the A-10 if his confidence continues to build. The other three Jrs have a long way to go.

I was pretty pleased with ANO tonight. Only 4 points but he had 6 reb, 2ast, 3blk, and 0 TO. He did that in only 16 minutes.

I still like a lineup where he's at the 5, TJ is at 4 and TA is at 3. That should create mismatches down low.

Maybe next year...

TBone. I like that 3,4,5 too. Hopefully Wood, Josh and a couple of the new kids can take a lot of the 1,2 & 3 minutes also.

Terry gives us something we haven't had in a LONG time, a big that scores easily when attacking the paint. The game of basketball is a lot easier when you have a guy who can do that.

Definitely agree Terry can be a difference maker. But needs help on a consistent basis. Seeing the more balanced scoring from multiple players was nice this year. Really hope he and all the guys love this postseason flavor and will be hungry for the NCAA's next season.

I feel very comfortable with SDJ at pg, he is a solid ball handler and looks to pass for the best shot, but will shoot if he thinks he has the shot.

Big question still,is at 2G. If Trey can slash and score, he can play 2, but if he drives and misses or doesn't find a shot, we have to consider josh or Julius J, or Plan C, whatever that is.

It would be great to have a guy with some size here AND skill. I think we've missed on this spot a lot. We have been either undersized (K0), under-offensive (TD), or under-defensive (Darien) for many years. Need a more all around guy. I feel like there should be a bunch of guys out there, it's not like he has to be 6'6"/210...

You are right, good 2 guards should be a dime a dozen. I still have no idea where 70 points will come from next year. New kids better come out shooting.

We should get 15 from both TA and TJ, and 10 from both ANO and SDJ, maybe more.

Just need another 15-18 from 2G and bench to be around 66ppg which is just around/above our avg this year.

I can't believe I'm the only one thinking this, but I for one am not at all comfortable with SDJ as our point guard. He has made some super clutch baskets this year and has a lot of swagger - two things this team needed desperately - but his handle and court vision are insufficient. I like his role as 6th man and hope that continues next year too. I believe if we'd have had Khwan Fore available we wouldn't be talking about SDJ and point guard in the same sentence. I think we'll see a lot of KF over the next four years.

TBONE. We obviously need to average 2 more PPG than this year. We would have won many more games. :)

Local, I have no idea what we will have next year. We haven't seen any of them yet. It's frustrating.

Terry made some big time moves last night. love how he's developing. nothing quiet about that double double. he's going to have a great senior season.

Originally posted by LocalSpiderFan:

I can't believe I'm the only one thinking this, but I for one am not at all comfortable with SDJ as our point guard. He has made some super clutch baskets this year and has a lot of swagger - two things this team needed desperately - but his handle and court vision are insufficient. I like his role as 6th man and hope that continues next year too. I believe if we'd have had Khwan Fore available we wouldn't be talking about SDJ and point guard in the same sentence. I think we'll see a lot of KF over the next four years.
Local, not sure why you think that. SDJ had a 2.25 A/TO ratio. That places him just outside the top 50 of all D1 players in the country. Kendall by comparison was at 1.65 and had fewer assists as a starter than SDJ had coming off the bench.

They are very different players. Shawndre is a more traditional pass-first PG, K0 is a 2G in a PG body. SDJ still averaged over 10ppg and plays starter minutes (4th highest on team).

He will 100% be our PG next year. Most guys who are 6th man of the year go on to become all conference guys the following year(s).

Khwan played a grand total of 15 minutes this season. The kid looked great in those 15 minutes, but no way he supplants SDJ at PG unless CM decides to completely retool our guard situation.

T, I don't see ShawnDre' as a pass first PG. I think he's a scoring PG who can also pass. we've done very well with this type of guard over the years. I believe SDJ will be the main PG but if Khwan or Kadeem earn more than just backup PG time, maybe ShawnDre' slides over some to the 2 like Kendall did.
he'll put up a lot of points next season in an expanded scoring roll.

Sman, you might be right, I just watch how he plays and i think his tendency is to look for the guy with an open look first, rather than trying to create his own shot. He can score. I doubt he will try to be a leading scorer type guy for us though.

I personally don't want him to slide over to the 2. I feel strongly that one of our weaknesses is that we have played undersized at the 2 for going on 3 seasons now. This is mostly due to K0 being that guy, and while I wouldn't trade him out at all, there are notable downsides to having a guy under 6'3" playing SG. You give up a lot on defense, rebounding, and driving among the tall trees.

Just my observation. CM likely would slide him to 2 at times, presuming we haven't developed a better option there. I don't ever promote the likelihood of a freshman getting lots of minutes, but Julius Johnson has about as good an opportunity to change that philosophy as we've had since Mooney came on board and had to play freshmen.

right now I'd like next year's lineup to be:
1) SDJ
2) Trey
3) Terry
4) TJ
5) ANO

but the biggest question is how good is Wood? he's more of a perimeter guy, and right now the above lineup has 3 guys who do work on the block. if Wood is starter quality as I'm hoping, then I'd like him starting at the 3, slide Terry to 4 and TJ to the 5, with ANO coming off the bench.

we'll see who wins the backup PG spot. likely Khwan. Josh backs up the 2. that's 8. Deion likely is the 9th in the rotation, but he has to get his shot back to a reasonable level. if he was a Rodman out there defensively and on the boards, then you can live with it. he's not Rodman. but there's no reason he can't become an adequate offensive threat again. but if he doesn't, then in my book he loses the last spot. one more guy at most gets time between him, Kadeem, Julius, Diekvoss and Freindshuh. Jul;ius of course is the wild card. we just don't know yet. if he's ready early and forces his way into the lineup, then we're better for it. but I'm assuming he's a year away until I see otherwise.

Here are Terry and TJ's scoring and rebounding numbers over the last part of the season:

TA:
Since A10 play started: 14.4 points, 7.4 rebounds
Last 10 games: 14.7 points, 9.0 rebounds, 6 double-doubles
Last 5 games: 16.0 points, 8.6 rebound

TJ:
Since A10 play started: 13.0 points, 3.7 rebounds
Last 10 games: 14.0 points, 3.6 rebounds
Last 5 games: 15.6 points, 3.4 rebound

TJ needs to work on his rebounding. If TA plays like he did over our last 10 games (many of which were against very good teams) next season he will be averaging close to a double-double. If TJ can work on his rebounding, TA on his 3pt shot, and Alonzo can polish his offense we will probably have the best front court in the A10.

This post was edited on 3/25 4:48 PM by fan2011

Originally posted by fan2011:
Here are Terry and TJ's scoring and rebounding numbers over the last part of the season:

TA:
Since A10 play started: 14.4 points, 7.4 rebounds
Last 10 games: 14.7 points, 9.0 rebounds, 6 double-doubles
Last 5 games: 16.0 points, 8.6 rebound

TJ:
Since A10 play started: 13.0 points, 3.7 rebounds
Last 10 games: 14.0 points, 3.6 rebounds
Last 5 games: 15.6 points, 3.4 rebound

TJ needs to work on his rebounding. If TA plays like he did over our last 10 games (many of which were against very good teams) next season he will be averaging close to a double-double. If TJ can work on his rebounding, TA on his 3pt shot, and Alonzo can polish his offense we will probably have the best front court in the A10.

This post was edited on 3/25 4:48 PM by fan2011
Agreed. I actually think the wildcard in this scenario isn't in control of any player, it's CM. He has a strong tendency to stick with starters in spite of known/perceived issues. I saw him adjust this year to change and start TJ over ANO. I think next year he will have to consider starting ANO over DT.

I am not sure he is going to do that though.

Originally posted by MrTbone:
I think next year he will have to consider starting ANO over DT.

Hoping and praying it happens. Even after the injury coming back to me ANO looked more aggressive and decisive offensively. Great potential for that jump hook in the lane with some practice (over and over again) like he did with his FT shooting. Players have made a good livelihood in the NBA with just one patented move.

Not saying he's an NBA player, just that ANO can flourish with it in college.
This post was edited on 3/26 1:45 PM by SouthJerseySpiderFan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT