ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

A real flurry of activity to fill all available spots. Mooney and staff definitely seem to be improving each year on filling the spots with increasingly better players. If they can get the team chemistry like last year then look out.

I’m going to be using the media guide and program pretty heavy at the beginning of the season. Lots of new players with complex names!

It is going to be very interesting to see who starts next year. We have added 5 home runs from the portal and 2 strong freshman, along with some solid returning players. We will see competition at every position and would not be surprised with a 10 man rotation. I have no idea how good the freshman will be and expect some players to make big improvements in their game during off season. As of today my guess on next year’s starting lineup and depth chart is:​

Center Beagle/Soulis​

Forward Neskovic/ Roumoglou​

Forward Walz/ McGlothin or Robinson/Roche​

Guard – Hunt/Tyne/Tanner​

Guard White/ Washington​

I don’t like the idea of Walz at power forward. Not enough spacing. Think he’ll be backing up one more year.

I think they’ll go with three guards since that’s suddenly the current strength of our roster. Will have to battle being undersized.

I think it will be:
Hunt
White
Tyne or Washington
Neskovic
Beagle

I’m not counting on any contributions from Tanner or Soulis this year. If they can be give us any production I’d be ecstatic. Judging just by highlight tapes (not ideal) McGlothin appears to be so different from our recent high school recruits in terms of athleticism. I do hold out hope that he can contribute but I think we are deep enough to manage without him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philaspidur
OK, joking around here, but how about this for jumbo lineup we could throw out there:
Guard - GW3
Guard - Apostolos
Forward - Neskovic
Forward - Beagle
Center - Walz

Anyway you cut it, there will be a lot of options. Good depth at all positions - though I do know Trap indicates that we say that every pre season. But feel pretty good this offseason, barring injuries.

We could see a starting lineup of all 5 transfers in. Would not surprise me. Starting spots wide open. Hunt only returner & think he could thrive as a super sub 6th man. I do really like Tyne & Walz tho and they will have something to say about it. Would also like to see 1 of the 2 frosh earn a pretty big role means they r good, we could use it. I’m sure we’ll see a surprise. Both ways. Someone unexpected that exceeds expectations another that doesn’t.

Nice job filling all 13 ships again too, some were not for that but I like odds of picking 9-10 who play from 13.

We could see a starting lineup of all 5 transfers in. Would not surprise me. Starting spots wide open. Hunt only returner & think he could thrive as a super sub 6th man. I do really like Tyne & Walz tho and they will have something to say about it. Would also like to see 1 of the 2 frosh earn a pretty big role means they r good, we could use it. I’m sure we’ll see a surprise. Both ways. Someone unexpected that exceeds expectations another that doesn’t.

Nice job filling all 13 ships again too, some were not for that but I like odds of picking 9-10 who play from 13.
I’d be shocked if Hunt doesn’t start. Don’t see any scenario where he’s a sub.

I don't know, White and GW are pretty legit. Granted, GW hasn't proven himself in college yet but his HS credentials were high level. He was #43 nationally according to 247Sports. I think the three of them will all start a good amount and probably play similar minutes.

Last edited:
Long time to the start of next season. So many new faces, feels like last summer.

throw lineups that can shoot, then shoot more, then shoot some more. If healthy and we can throw lineups with say - Roche, Roumoglou and 2 other shooters, think about the looks Roche might be able to finally get. We may see his numbers pop.

Then throw the jumbo lineup at someone.

Then go small and fast - def. can see some 3 guard lineups.

We suddenly have a LOT of options.

But who is the starting point guard? Aren’t all of our backcourt players primarily shooting guards except for Tyne?

throw lineups that can shoot, then shoot more, then shoot some more. If healthy and we can throw lineups with say - Roche, Roumoglou and 2 other shooters, think about the looks Roche might be able to finally get. We may see his numbers pop.

Then throw the jumbo lineup at someone.

Then go small and fast - def. can see some 3 guard lineups.

We suddenly have a LOT of options.
I am not sure I see much of a role for Roche We have shooters that can probably do more other things than he can and I don't see us sending out a lineup of all shooters etc. We are going to need creatures more than shooters and I am hopeful that we learned the value of defense last year and play guys who can defend.

We are going to need creatures more than shooters….
Like this guy…I think he played some ball.

teen wolf 80s GIF

I am not sure I see much of a role for Roche We have shooters that can probably do more other things than he can and I don't see us sending out a lineup of all shooters etc. We are going to need creatures more than shooters and I am hopeful that we learned the value of defense last year and play guys who can defend.
at present, he's the most established shooter we have, until we see how other guys do in extended game action, so I'm still invested in him getting good minutes. Having multiple shooters is highly valuable in college hoops today, and looking at the makeup of this team I think the offensive ceiling is higher than the defensive ceiling. And that's not a bad thing if they can play even average/slightly above average defense, they can be very good. Especially if the guards can get after it at the point of attack - and we know both Tyne and Hunt can do that.

Last year, Dji and Bigelow were very athletic wing defenders, Neal was 7 feet tall and a deterrent bc of that and Harris was active and physical off the bench. I'm not sure we replaced any of those defensive things to the extent we had them last year. BUT the offensive ability of the guys we brought in seems very good and we know Moon love him some fluidity that leads to buckets. Add that to Moon's love of seniors and his love of guys who know his systems in and out, and if healthy I see a good role for Roche. I can see him shooting 3-7 from 3 each game because we have lots of offensive options and isn't drawing attention as the designated shooter on the court.

pretty amazing job restocking the shelves. this portal thing (which so many complain about) is awesome!

it's a very interesting roster, starting at wing forward. I want to hear that Apostolos, Tanner or a freshman are ready to start and play a lot at the 3. I know we're really deep at guard with 4 talented small guys, but I'd rather not play 3 together. looks like we might though. let the competition begin.

Neskovic is my 4 and playing 30 mpg. very interesting who gets the other 10. I know Mooney mentioned 2 bigs together, but we'll see. I think a freshman wins those 10 minutes. I don't see any of our bigs successfully playing forward ... maybe Soulis. but not Walz or Beagle. I didn't like Grace playing the 4, and he at least had some perimeter skills.

really excited about this roster!

My guess at starting lineup if season started today:
White beats out Tyne.
Hunt holds off Washington
Neskovic beats out McGlothin

I think all three only have 1 season?

Glu beats out Tanner, Robinson, and Roche

Beagle slight edge over Walz, with Soulis waiting…

Reactions: spiderman
Well I guess O’Connor answered that. It’s going to be Hunt.

U wouldn’t know it from the article itself. Zero in article about Hunt starting. Did mention leading returning scorer. But the tweet promoting article was a little misleading imo. Regardless Hunt is certainly the presumptive starter right now.

Aint no 149, maybe 49. I think we have some killers. I believe Hunt, Neskovic, Roumoglou, and Beagle will start. PG either GWIII or White. Leaning towards GWIII, White could be killer off the bench.

I think Roumoglou is the biggest man of mystery. My assumption is (based on Uconn's recruiting profile) that if he were playing high school in the States instead of club ball in Greece, he would have been at top 100 or top 150 guy anyway. Could be wrong. If he is a guy that is really good - just lacked opportunity - and not that rusty b/c he has been practicing vs elite competition - that would be huge. In my best case scenario - he and McGlothin are so good that we have to play them together some.

... he and McGlothin are so good ...
we tend to assume McGlothin is ahead of Robinson because we've seen more recent McGlothin highlights.
but I don't want to dismiss Robinson. his HS highlights showed ridiculous athleticism. and he definitely had a college ready body. TBD.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, awhile back I kind of assumed Robinson could be a guy in line for some early PT - based on his strength and hops. It is getting more crowded at the wing and big forward - so no clue now. McGlothin just seems to have a nice skillset for his size and length I can see him be able to get his shot off and score as a freshman.

I’m excited to see how next year is going to pan out. I think we did a good job of reloading this offseason. I’m also glad we didn’t just focus on bringing in recruits who have done well at lower leagues, but also recruits who were more highly touted in high school, but for whatever reason didn’t get a chance to showcase their talents at a P6 school.

I think there’s 2 certain starters. White as the primary ball handler at the 1 and Nescovic at the 4. We brought in White after having Hunt, Tyne, and GW3 so I’m sure it’s with the intention of him replicating King’s role last season. We might get creative and have Soulis or Beagle at the 4, but their primary position is at the 5. I say Walz gets the nod over Beagle to start for now given more experience with Mooney’s system but expect about equal playing time, if not more for Beagle by the end of the season. The other guard will likely be Hunt to start, but I can see a case for GW3 if he really shines in this system and Hunt becomes more of a 6th man who can play either the 1 or 2 depending on the situation. The biggest mystery is who plays the 3. I can see Roche, GW3 if we go small ball, Apostolos (though likely backing up the 4) or Robinson. Will be exciting to see how it plays out in practice.

My anticipated starters as of today:

1 - White
2 - Hunt
3 - Roche
4 - Nescovic
5 - Walz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT