ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

Think I've seen Robinson and Beagle in these pics or videos as far as newcomers go. Is that accurate or r there others?

I thought that was Tyne, Walz, Tanner, Beagle?

But first 3 old photos? Per background…

Can players that complete eligIbiliy attend practice?

Reactions: urfan1
For Game 1 starters my guess would be:
Guard - Hunt
Guard - White
Wing - Apostolos
Forward - Neskovic
Center - Walz

I do agree that experience and loyalty point to Hunt and Walz being in the line up day 1, but we are in a different paradigm with the portal so that could be a false assumption. I think wing is the big question mark. I could see this being Tanner, McGlothin, or even GW3.

I think after first 6 games you could see rotation changing quite a bit based on results, similar to Noyes seeing the bench and Dji winning starting role. I feel like Hunt, Neskovic, and White are probably the most likely to be 25-30 minute guys from day 1 continuing on, based on their experience and resume at the D1 level. Probably so for Beagle too, though as noted, if he is not able to play forward (i.e. guard stretch 4's on perimeter) than he may be splitting more based on Walz's effectiveness. All in all - these are good problems to have IF it does not cause malcontent players on the bench. Last season, I think the delineation between the guys getting time and those on the bench was pretty clear. This will likely be a bigger challenge for Mooney this year - to keep the chemistry, keep guys playing for the team and to win.

We could see things broken down close to this:

Small guards: Hunt, White, GW3, Tyne - 80 minutes.

Wings: Neskovic, McGlothin, Tanner, Roche, Apostolos, Robinson- 80 minutes.

Bigs: Walz, Beagle, Soulis- 40 minutes.

This, of course, won't be exact. We will see lineups with 3 small guards out there, and might see a couple bigs out there for a few minutes, but overall, it should be close to this.

The wing spot is the unpredictable one right now. Neskovic seems like he would get the most minutes there, and if he gets around 25, that still leaves around 55 for the other 5, who are all, other than Roche, unproven. Which one or ones will step up? Could be any of them. If the freshman are ready, they should get some minutes because there is not a lot of experienced minutes in front of them. Quality defense, a good handle, and the ability to shoot the 3 and score would certainly help someone separate themselves here if they can do all 3.

As for starters, it is so hard to tell right now. I think Hunt is probably a lock, and I think Neskovic is probably close to a lock as well. I'm not sure Tyne is ready to start, so I am thinking we will have a battle between White and GW3 beside Hunt. White has experience and a good looking game, but GW3 could be too good to not start here.

A 2nd wing starter beside Neskovic seems wide open, and it's too hard to predict right now, but if a freshman like McGlothin shows he is ready, I see no reason why he couldn't start here. Maybe Tanner will be ready for good minutes, or could Apostolos show it was only UCONN's talent holding him back and get big minutes?

I like what Walz has shown, but expect we could see a battle between him and Beagle. Hard to see Soulis starting with his possible foot injury and lack of time so far.

I agree team chemistry is always important, and our teams seem to always do well with that. I think we do a good job of getting quality team first player guys who have high basketball IQs and most understand if they might not get a ton of minutes. Leaders like Hunt help with team chemistry as well, and I think Mooney being a player's coach ( always praising, never throwing guys under the bus, keeping practices fun and upbeat with a lot of energy) helps with chemistry as well.

We have a lot of talent and I am looking forward to seeing how all the pieces come together.

For Game 1 starters my guess would be:
Guard - Hunt
Guard - White
Wing - Apostolos
Forward - Neskovic
Center - Walz

I do agree that experience and loyalty point to Hunt and Walz being in the line up day 1, but we are in a different paradigm with the portal so that could be a false assumption. I think wing is the big question mark. I could see this being Tanner, McGlothin, or even GW3.

I think after first 6 games you could see rotation changing quite a bit based on results, similar to Noyes seeing the bench and Dji winning starting role. I feel like Hunt, Neskovic, and White are probably the most likely to be 25-30 minute guys from day 1 continuing on, based on their experience and resume at the D1 level. Probably so for Beagle too, though as noted, if he is not able to play forward (i.e. guard stretch 4's on perimeter) than he may be splitting more based on Walz's effectiveness. All in all - these are good problems to have IF it does not cause malcontent players on the bench. Last season, I think the delineation between the guys getting time and those on the bench was pretty clear. This will likely be a bigger challenge for Mooney this year - to keep the chemistry, keep guys playing for the team and to win.
Predicting starters this year will be difficult.

I would have Hunt, White, Neskovic and Beagle as 4 of the 5 starters. Walz will be getting solid minutes as well, but think Beagle's track record trumps Walz right now. The starter at the 3 is a complete mystery. Could be Tanner, Apostolos, McGlothin, or even Roche. I'll be excited to see how this plays out in practice over the summer and who steps up.

I also could see GW3 pushing for significant guard minutes as well but think Moon goes with the senior guards to start.

Reactions: spiderman
Predicting starters this year will be difficult.

I would have Hunt, White, Neskovic and Beagle as 4 of the 5 starters. Walz will be getting solid minutes as well, but think Beagle's track record trumps Walz right now. The starter at the 3 is a complete mystery. Could be Tanner, Apostolos, McGlothin, or even Roche. I'll be excited to see how this plays out in practice over the summer and who steps up.

I also could see GW3 pushing for significant guard minutes as well but think Moon goes with the senior guards to start.
I am very high on McGlothin long term, but he is going to need to gain weight and muscle to reach his potential. Robinson is much more likely to get a lot of minutes as a freshman. He is a human highlight film, winning dunking contest by jumping over teammates (you can see videos on another thread on this board). Both of our Freshman have huge upside.

Last edited:
A lot of GW3 (and Beagle) in that most recent highlight reel. If GW3 is scoring at all levels like 80sFan hears reports on, then he may get a lot of minutes this season. At 6’2” and a combo guard, I can see him playing the 1-3 position for us depending on the game and team we play against. Right now, I like him at the 2 and think he will play well off of Hunt or White rather than be the primary ball handler.

Last edited:
I am very high on McGlothin long term, but he is going to need to gain weight and muscle to reach his potential. Robinson is much more likely to get a lot of minutes as a freshman. He is a human highlight film, winning dunking contest by jumping over teammates (you can see videos on another thread on this board). Both of our Freshman have huge upside.
I have optimism with the freshmen, but it’s reserved optimism to produce meaningful minutes right away. In recent years, we haven’t had a freshman play a major role, maybe except Tyne and even he was more of a role player this past year. We’ve also had many high school recruits who ended up transferring out the past 5 years. With that said, I am still more optimistic this year because 1) from highlights they appear to have athleticism at a college level already and 2) we have no clear starter at the 3 position. This will allow for more competition, which can provide more opportunities for them to get game time experience.

If Tanner is as good/smooth a shooter as we think he is, I can see him battling for a starting spot. His defense remains an unknown.

Agree that this team seems to have a very high offensive ceiling. Open the gates and let them run. Throw waves of scorers out there nonstop.
What makes you think he’s a good college shooter? Not arguing, I just didn’t see him earn any time last year to be able to make that conclusion.

What makes you think he’s a good college shooter? Not arguing, I just didn’t see him earn any time last year to be able to make that conclusion.

Agree. Think he came in w that rep but Tanner was next to last on bench minus T Smith. He was behind Noyes who many on here seemed happy to transfer bc he wouldn’t play. Maybe Tanner needed year to get acclimated & will make a big jump. It’s possible he’s got good size. I hope so it will give us more comp & options. Right now I’d just put that as least likely result at his position, until we get to see them all play more.

Maybe he is waiting for a chance to show what he can do plus he possibly shows it in practice!

Tanner is playing very well in spring practice. I think there is a high probability he is in the rotation with a small chance to start. There will be battles at 4 positions to start. Very high probability Hunt is in starting rotation.

80's - interesting take on the freshman. That was my initial thought a few months back - Robinson was the more college ready body/athlete and may be able to earn some time based on his seeming ability to rebound and defend on the inside. While McGlothin was very skilled for his size and length might need some time to get stronger etc. However somewhere along the line it seemed that McGlothin has been getting hyped as potential starter - which I bought into as well.

In any case I do like the healthy competition for multiple spots. Just hoping that the chemistry can remain strong.

I will be very interested to hear how Apostolos, Tanner and McGlothin look once all three are on the practice court together. As much as I want to see Tanner and McGlothin do well, I still think our highest ceiling is probably that Apostolos comes in and plays like a top 100 player ( I know he was from Greece - but Uconn recruited him) who was buried behind high NBA draft picks, otherwise would have been a solid Big East starter. That would add some real pop to our lineup.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Tanner is playing very well in spring practice. I think there is a high probability he is in the rotation with a small chance to start. There will be battles at 4 positions to start. Very high probability Hunt is in starting rotation.

good to hear of course, tho it's just a limited group practicing right now. mcglothin neskovic white & the Glou not here yet, or weren't in spring. And Roche & Soulis not quite cleared yet. as far as I can tell.

Reactions: spider23
Was basing Tanner shooting ability off his recruitment and IMO in the little time he did see I thought his shooting touch was the one thing that stood out to me, seemed to have a smooth stroke and soft touch. Very limited sample size of course, and he did look like a freshman in many other aspects of play.

Tanner's fate was sealed last year when Dji was moved to the 3. Dji played very well on both ends and dominated minutes. plus we wanted to give Roche a chance to heat up. there was just no time left at that spot.

same thing will happen to a couple of good players this year. doesn't mean they won't be good when they get their shot down the road. but you can't play 13 guys.

problem is ... if you bury a guy too long these days they'll likely find a new home. it's very important to identify who you think will be best long term and get them feeling they're part of the plan.

Without any direct knowledge of the situation, I would not be surprised if Tanner’s lack of minutes last year were from him hesitating and thinking “what does coach want me to do in this situation?”
And not from his basketball skills, but we will see…

Spiderman mentioned Roche. I kind of feel sorry for him.
He obviously has not be able to produce like he did before
coming to us, and you know it must eat him up.

Reactions: gcarter52
Here is what I am thinking. No inside info. If everyone is healthy I see a 9-10 man rotation. Everyone in the starting five has played 25+ minutes per game in a past season (Roche’s was 36 mpg at The Citadel). I think these combos give us height/size balance and good shooting. I’m a bit concerned about rebounding regardless. Players off the bench can all push for starting roles and at times I could see us playing three guards at once.

3 - Roche (6-5) / Tanner (6-6)
4 - Neskovic (6-8) / Roumoglou (6-8)
5 - Beagle (6-10) / Walz (6-11)
2 - Hunt (6-0) / GW3 (6-2)
1 - White (5-10) / Tyne (5-10)

Next man up (if someone is not healthy) - 5 - Soulis (6-10), 3/4 - Robinson (6-6), 3/4 -McGlothlin (6-7)

Walk-Ons - Graham (6-3), Weaver (6-2), Mooney (6-3)

Talented team from 1 to 16

I am totally fine to be proven wrong if one of our freshman (counting Soulis as a redshirt freshman) proves me wrong 😊

Reactions: PASpider
Roche will be interesting case. I believe it has been noted that he is still not working out with the team, and I have not heard any definitive timeline for his return. I really feel his missing the offseason last year impacted his play on the court this year, and kind of snowballed as he was not able to work his way in during the season because Dji played so well at his position.

So this being second year in a row not having an offseason has me very wary that he will be effective. I am pulling for him, but it just seems he may be at a disadvantage again, especially with two offseason's lost in a row.

Spiderman mentioned Roche. I kind of feel sorry for him.
He obviously has not be able to produce like he did before
coming to us, and you know it must eat him up.
Roche's 1st year with us was almost identical statistically to his year at The Citadel ... on a per 40 minute basis. he just didn't play as much.

last year his shooting dropped off. but he's a shooter. I wouldn't bet against him hitting over 38% from 3 again this year. but he has to get healthy and he has to earn playing time.

check out the "per 40 minute" stats here:

Reactions: gospidersgo
I like Roche as our 3 point gunner and getting 6th man minutes off the bench to do so. I just do see an A-10 starter skill set in him if we want to contend for an A-10 title like we did last year.

Last year, we put 5 starters on the court who all had A-10 skill sets and that is why we won the league. The year prior we put 5 starters on the court, 3 of which had A-10 skill sets and we finished 11th. Folks were making similar statements about Goose and Grace going into that year about what they could do, but we all knew and saw their limitations as well that made them not complete high level A-10 starters; Goose couldn't shoot and Grace was too slow to play the 4 and not strong enough to play the 5 in the A-10.

So, Roche is a great shooter, but he can't really score from other areas and requires set plays to get him open looks. His defense while I will agree he gives maximum effort, his foot speed is going to be a liability when having to guard other more athletic wing players that are common in the A-10. And he is coming off knee surgery.

Trying not to knock Roche here too much, just an honest assessment of where I see things and where I think he is a best fit for this team to be successful at the highest level.

I'm having a hard time keeping track of who's in town and who isn't but looks like Soulis is in Greece at the moment?

Reactions: urfan1
Didn't say too much. Did seem pretty high on GW3 - mentioned he has been there for a month, working hard, good shooter, etc. Seemed to indicated we had had a shot with him out of high school - unless I am misinterpreting.

Love our back court depth this year. As much as we can point fingers for the thud landing at the end of the season, it may have just really boiled down to King wearing down. I think we have four guys that can all play and impact games in a positive way, and hopefully two of them can be closers and hit big shots at the end of games.

Not a lot here from JOC and Mooney...CM really happy with the guys we have coming in (good guys, coachable, competitive). He's thinks we're positioned for another good season, and it's obviously a matter of the guys putting in the work to gel this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT