ADVERTISEMENT

NIL will change college basketball forever

I will say, that Malcolm Bernard situation screwed Mooney, and was a disaster. I guess PQ did not have the pull or push with admissions.
someone (I assume above the Admissions level) made a short-sighted decision on that one. not sure who to blame. Gill?

I don't think we should look at VCU any differently than any other school when it comes to getting guys admitted. If the guys they get are accepted by the NCAA, good for them, they earned the right to play there. It's not like VCU is the exception here. And, I certainly would not talk about how unintelligent their players might be. That is nothing but a cheap shot, especially when some might be a lot smarter than you think. I know one thing....VCU players usually have a good basketball IQ. My hope is we have at least changed enough over the years to allow more guys in. If we don't want to just go out and have 13 guys on the team who barely qualified according to the NCAA, fine, we don't have to go there, but I certainly hope we aren't turning down the occasional Malcolm Bernard types out there. If so, that is an us problem, not a VCU problem.
VT4700, I don't set the policy for U of R and I have no say in what the policy is relative to minimum academic qualifications for U of R basketball players.

I don't see anything wrong with saying that students at VCU on average are not as smart as U of R students. Just like the average U of R student isn't as smart as the average student going to Harvard, although Richmond is much closer to Harvard and VCU. There are all shorts of statistics you can look at like SAT and ACT scores, grades, student rankings.

I was told from someone, with insider info, that only about 15 percent of players on the VCU team could get into U of R.

BTW, I am a big fan of VCU in what it brings to the Richmond area and also happy they have a great basketball program. With that said, I always want Richmond to beat them when we play.

Last edited:
Didn’t you quote his 15% earlier? But no idea about accuracy.
Are we talking percentages here? Seemed like he was saying 15 VCU players.

The ~15% I referred to before was Queally claiming that only 10 out 60 non-UR/Davidson starters from the A-10 (guess he forgot Loyola was in the conference) could have been admitted to UR.

How Queally knows that is beyond me. I suspect he made it up.

Are we talking percentages here? Seemed like he was saying 15 VCU players.

The ~15% I referred to before was Queally claiming that only 10 out 60 non-UR/Davidson starters from the A-10 (guess he forgot Loyola was in the conference) could have been admitted to UR.

How Queally knows that is beyond me. I suspect he made it up.
15 percent

Relative to Paul, I think he would have pretty good insight from the coaching staff. I am sure they do research on players and often speak with the same players recruited by other schools. Obviously it is an estimate.

VT4700, I don't set the policy for U of R and I have no say in what the policy is relative to minimum academic qualifications for U of R basketball players.

I don't see anything wrong with saying that students at VCU on average are not as smart as U of R students. Just like the average U of R student isn't as smart as the average student going to Harvard, although Richmond is much closer to Harvard and VCU. There are all shorts of statistics you can look at like SAT and ACT scores, grades, student rankings.

I was told from someone, with insider info, that only about 15 percent of players on the VCU team could get into U of R.

BTW, I am a big fan of VCU in what it brings to the Richmond area and also happy they have a great basketball program. With that said, I always want Richmond to beat them when we play.

Who would you know that has access to the entire VCU basketball teams academic transcripts? Or is this just another daydream.

Reactions: PASpider
Also, do not know the legacy numbers for UR, but Harvard admits 33% of Legacy applicants (vs 6% admission rate for Joe Public) and that number goes up to 44% when considering athletes and friends of staff. So getting into Harvard is not that hard, as long as you know someone. Guessing similar at Richmond?

Also, do not know the legacy numbers for UR, but Harvard admits 33% of Legacy applicants (vs 6% admission rate for Joe Public) and that number goes up to 44% when considering athletes and friends of staff.
Harvard rejects 67% of legacies? that's higher than I expected.

I don't see anything wrong with saying that students at VCU on average are not as smart as U of R students.

But we weren't talking about the student bodies at large, we were talking specifically about the 13 basketball players on each team.

And I wouldn't use labels like "smarter," because there are a lot of ways to be smart. Yes, the average college entrance scores for UR students are certainly higher than the same scores of VCU students. But I think we've already acknowledged that no school is holding all of its basketball recruits to the same entrance standards it holds all other students to, so I'm not sure that matters here.

Well, you have to have some standards and be able to show high SAT scores, GPA etc. Guessing there is some kind of minimum scores and gpa.
I assumed Harvard grads would have pretty smart kids ... but maybe not always.
I know Richmond grads do :)

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I will say, that Malcolm Bernard situation screwed Mooney, and was a disaster. I guess PQ did not have the pull or push with admissions.
Nobody did that year. It was a new admin (either dean or director of admissions, I forget which) and whoever it was drew a hardline on Bernard’s academics. It was pretty embarrassing in my view but whatever it was must have felt egregious to the SPCS folks.

My response would be who cares what the stats say, and who cares who has higher SAT scores? It just doesn't matter. Who really cares whether VCU guys can get in elsewhere? They got accepted to VCU, and the NCAA said all good, so I think it is pretty weak to worry about whether or not they would get in here. Why go there and say they aren't as smart as Richmond students? It is 100% irrelevant when having a basketball discussion. Who cares if only 15% of their guys can get in here? Do 100% of our guys meet all the requirements that non athletes do?

SO UR had this NIL announcement about 2 weeks ago - but I have seen nothing since? Am I missing something? Shouldn't this NIL be reaching out to people to get donors/members? It was announced and now its radio silence or I am missing something?

Why not strike when the iron is hot? You make a statement (on the back of VCU) - set up a web page and link to donate and get involved. What is the hold up?

Don't worry, PQ's got it all covered. Our dollars are not wanted or needed at this point.

Hoping to have a website up by 2027 and accepting donations by 2029.
I see it was time for the daily let's attack Queally post. Interesting the board wants to keep getting on someone who has given millions to the university. Basketball team has a losing season? Queally's fault. Football team loses transfers? Queally's fault. You guys are unreal.

I see it was time for the daily let's attack Queally post. Interesting the board wants to keep getting on someone who has given millions to the university. Basketball team has a losing season? Queally's fault. Football team loses transfers? Queally's fault. You guys are unreal.
Seriously? This is your response to a great point being raised? Wouldn’t you like to donate some NIL money. I mean dude, you love the program. Do your part!

I’m not necessarily “attacking” PQ. All I know is that the way we’ve approached this NIL thing looks absurd from where I sit. I don’t know who’s responsible for that.

I’m not necessarily “attacking” PQ. All I know is that the way we’ve approached this NIL thing looks absurd from where I sit. I don’t know who’s responsible for that.
Well, it certainly was a cheap shot aimed at someone who has done a heck of a lot for our program. Some thought we had no NIL and whined about that. Then, it becomes known that we have one, and people on here whine about how it is run. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
The point of my post was not to attach PQ. I am very appreciative of his support of the program, but my question was simple - UR announces an NIL collective has begun (that is step 1), then they say they have the support of big donors (PQ) - this is step 2 as you need big donors to get it started - but after that, it has been crickets?

Where is the information? Where is the update? Where is the - if you like to donate or get more information, please contact XYZ? We obviously have a passionate fan base on this board alone, and I am sure I am not alone in saying I would like to get involved - even if it is just a few hundred dollars. But every dollar counts in this collective and why nothing? Why again are we being left behind?

Reactions: mojo-spider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT