ADVERTISEMENT

NIL will change college basketball forever

And why the heck are we not taking advantage of the international trip? As I yelled from the mountain tops, last year was a perfect year to take it and get extra reps against real competition. BUT NOOOOOOO. Just another in the long list of items in which we operate more in line with William and Mary, than St. Mary's, VCU, Dayton, SDSU and other serious mid major players.
Covid threw things off. nobody went in 2020 or 2021.

this year VCU is going to Greece, UMass to Puerto Rico, and Dayton to France/Spain.

Fordham, Davidson, SLU, and Loyola Chicago tripped last year. I assume we'll go somewhere next summer. when was our last trip?

France I think, and TJ was on the team then, so it's been a hot minute.

Did Nick & Buck go as incoming Freshmen?

Did Nick & Buck go as incoming Freshmen?
Yes, that’s my recollection (and Grant).

Another example of behind the competition.

Our actions, or more accurately inactions, do not give fans a warm feeling that we are foaming at the mouth to be successful. Little is done proactively. Just going through the motions with the actions of the competition prompting us to react halfheartedly and late.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yes KE Spider, the bare minimum to be a "big time" program does not get met all too often. It seems any time we have some momentum, we relax and slide back. Really really thought with the pick up of the transfers last season, with Burton and the boost from our post season success we could have a really good season.
If we could have kept Burton, Reed and landed Brown I would have been super pumped for this season. Instead I am hopeful a bunch of things go right and guys have career years. I am pulling for it. But no, we are not operating like a big time program, like I think we could be.

which is why the big schools will have a monsterous advantage.

excluding whales, I could see the big 40,000 student schools attracting 10,000 fans to donate $100 or more per year. that's a cool million to play with each year as a low estimate.

the little guys with 3,000 student don't have the fan depth to compete.
Yep. I said the exact same thing and got destroyed on here for saying that.

Remember too - this money will need to be replenished quickly each year. SO if we raise 500K and next year give out 300K to 6 players, safe to assume if those 6 players are returning - they will want the same next year in addition to any other players/recruits you add. So this is a fund that needs deep pockets and constant replenishment.
A lot of NIL money to younger guys will be spread out. Maybe 100K is their number, but not all of in year 1. But, I agree, you still want to keep adding, and the deeper pockets the better.

Google Paul Queally-Richmond and see what turns up, a bunch of negative articles.

I think a person can be grateful at the enormous donations Paul has given UR and also at the same time understand all of the strings that came with those donations that have made Paul essentially a king maker over our athletics as well as other aspects of our University and wonder whether that is really in the best interests of both UR and Paul. Again, just hit the little google search button on that and you will see both Paul and UR have taken a bunch of black eyes on this.

Yet, they both seemed tied at the hip. UR is in love with Paul's money and Paul is in love with the control UR gives him in exchange. And again, I think both are struggling to really read the room.
I know about the negative press, and some things he said in the past were awful, just awful. So, I get some of the frustration here, but IMO it is mostly, if not all, Mooney related. He is tight with Mooney, and many on this board automatically hate everything the man does, even if and when it brings a huge benefit to our program. Whether some on here want to admit it or not, we are a small school....a very small school and I think it would be nearly impossible for us to keep up athletically without big donors. I like keeping this basketball related, and it's very simple to me....I might not agree with everything he does or says, but I think we are better off with his support than without it.

A lot of NIL money to younger guys will be spread out. Maybe 100K is their number, but not all of in year 1. But, I agree, you still want to keep adding, and the deeper pockets the better.
Right 4700, but I think a younger guy will expect his NIL money will either stay the same or increase as the 4 years progress. I find it hard to offer a kid lets say a 30K NIL money as a frosh. Then drop that in later years. Only way you do that is if the kid just is not playing and no one really cares if he transfers out. But if its a kid that is playing and we want to stay, the money increases.

This is also where the smaller donors come in handy. Let the deep pockets take care of the big payouts. But for the smaller payouts - like 10K - 15 K for a player - that might be where the mass donors come in and that money can cover those.

Yes KE Spider, the bare minimum to be a "big time" program does not get met all too often. It seems any time we have some momentum, we relax and slide back. Really really thought with the pick up of the transfers last season, with Burton and the boost from our post season success we could have a really good season.
If we could have kept Burton, Reed and landed Brown I would have been super pumped for this season. Instead I am hopeful a bunch of things go right and guys have career years. I am pulling for it. But no, we are not operating like a big time program, like I think we could be.
I will say it again for the 100th time - UR does just enough to show it cares, and wants to compete - but never pushes itself over the hump. We are constantly just doing enough to keep up with our competition - but never trying to go past out competition. Key word here - do just enough to compete. Or do just enough to look like your will compete.

I will say it again for the 100th time - UR does just enough to show it cares, and wants to compete - but never pushes itself over the hump. We are constantly just doing enough to keep up with our competition - but never trying to go past out competition. Key word here - do just enough to compete. Or do just enough to look like your will compete.
You can say it 1,000 times if you want. Doesn't mean you are right.

Fair for you to think that, but maybe Queally can read the room and knows what he is doing. If a bunch of rich guys, as you call them, want to take care of our NIL, why not let them, and you and others who act like you want to give so badly can just give your money to the basketball program. As a program, we don't want all of our money going toward the NIL anyway, right? So, it just seems like a lot of unnecessary complaining aimed at a guy most people on here don't like just because he supports Mooney. Funny, that sounds awfully familiar.

I actually think the less information the better when it comes to NIL. Do we really want all of our players to know the figures and then wonder why they might not be getting more. So, if Queally wants to do his thing, and do it quietly, I am all for that.
I legit laughed at that top comment. This guy is a PR nightmare and can't open his mouth without sounding like an out of touch turbo douche. I actually think you make some very valid and thoughtful points at times but none of it was in this statement. I can't fathom how you think he knows what he's doing at this stage. Also, you cant have your tentacles all over the university with your money and influence and not expect people to question your motives or intelligence when it doesn't go according to plan, especially when your rivals are demonstrating again they are ahead of the curve and have no sugar daddy like we do.

I have never once called for the head of Mooney and refuse to until the people above him that are failing this University are gone because it makes a lick of a difference if they are still here calling the shots. However, I loathe both PQ and his lackey AD because of their lack of accountability or vision for the athletic department outside of building buildings that help improve the schools property value.

Hardt's boring and unimaginative and has no interest in rocking the boat and fighting for the athletic department. Rocco was 100% right and were still 7+ years past that with no actual vision. Thank god PQ wasn't charged with replacing Chuck Boone, we woulda hired another patriot league athletic director.

No one should be able to look at me with a straight face and say we are in a better position as an athletic department now than we were a decade ago. We have nicer facilities, but it means nothing when its run by people who aren't at risk of losing their job when we don't meet expectations. I don't have as high expectations others do on here, but I do expect a plan. And I would like to make the dance more than once every decade and not lose our status as a nationally prominent football program that has less fans show up to a game than a majority of the local high schools.

We've literally watch two rival schools poach our entire football staff, not a bigger or better school but ones we compete with. Have taken a step back in virtually every sport but the one PQ seems to care about most (Lax).

PQ is no Claiborne Robbins. Never has been, and never will be. No amount of money, goodwill or gaslighting the school or its fans will fix that.

We won a lot more with less until this clown came along wanting to memorialize himself on every new building put on campus.

Last edited:
No problem - we can agree to disagree, but we are typically last or near last when it comes to improving things or making changes. Football stadium, upgrades to Robins Center, Practice center, now NIL - we always seem to wait for everyone else and then try to keep up.

NIL is one area we could make a splash and be a leader. Get it up and running and lets go out and get someone, a program changing player, and make a big time payment to get him. No one in the A10 has done that YET. Its only a matter of time if this NIL continues as is, so why not be in front and see if we can get a kid we normally would not get - maybe a transfer, lets pay someone 500K or more and buy a stud and see what happens.

We all know this won't happen - but just a thought.

I legit laughed at that top comment. This guy is a PR nightmare and can't open his mouth without sounding like an out of touch turbo douche. I actually think you make some very valid and thoughtful points at times but none of it was in this statement. I can't fathom how you think he knows what he's doing at this stage. Also, you cant have your tentacles all over the university with your money and influence and not expect people to question your motives or intelligence when it doesn't go according to plan, especially when your rivals are demonstrating again they are ahead of the curve.

I have never once called for the head of Mooney and refuse to until the people above him that are failing this University are gone because it makes a lick of a difference if they are still here. However, I loathe both PQ and his lackey AD because of their lack of accountability or vision for the athletic department outside of building buildings that help improve the schools property value.

Hardt's boring and unimaginative and has no interest in rocking the boat and fighting for the athletic department. Rocco was 100% right and were still 7+ years past that with no actual vision. Thank god PQ wasn't charged with replacing Chuck Boone, we woulda hired another patriot league athletic director.

No one should be able to look at me with a straight face and say we are in a better position as an athletic department now than we were a decade ago. We have nicer facilities, but it means nothing when its run by people who aren't at risk of losing their job when we don't meet expectations.

We've literally watch two rival schools poach our entire football staff, not a bigger or better school but ones we compete with. Have taken a step back in virtually every sport but the one PQ seems to care about most (Lax).

PQ is no Claiborne Robbins. Never has been, and never will be. No amount of money, goodwill or gaslighting the school or its fans will fix that.

We won a lot more with less until this clown came along wanting to memorialize himself on every new building put on campus.
🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Ferrum well said. And I have been on the Fire Mooney train (#FMM) at times, but do back off at times due to the reasons you cited. I think he definitely has been fighting with a hand tied behind his back. BUT, on the other hand, he is drinking beers with PQ at the Tavern, seems like he should be using this friendship to get some things done (yes I know about the practice facility - that was an eye opener that other teams had one to Hardt, and chartered planes).

• Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
I legit laughed at that top comment. This guy is a PR nightmare and can't open his mouth without sounding like an out of touch turbo douche. I actually think you make some very valid and thoughtful points at times but none of it was in this statement. I can't fathom how you think he knows what he's doing at this stage. Also, you cant have your tentacles all over the university with your money and influence and not expect people to question your motives or intelligence when it doesn't go according to plan, especially when your rivals are demonstrating again they are ahead of the curve and have no sugar daddy like we do.

I have never once called for the head of Mooney and refuse to until the people above him that are failing this University are gone because it makes a lick of a difference if they are still here calling the shots. However, I loathe both PQ and his lackey AD because of their lack of accountability or vision for the athletic department outside of building buildings that help improve the schools property value.

No one should be able to look at me with a straight face and say we are in a better position as an athletic department now than we were a decade ago. We have nicer facilities, but it means nothing when its run by people who aren't at risk of losing their job when we don't meet expectations. I don't have as high expectations others do on here, but I do expect a plan. And I would like to make the dance more than once every decade and not lose our status as a nationally prominent football program that has less fans show up to a game than a majority of the local high schools.

Tremendous post!! Very well articulated, and points are well detailed. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront. Can’t find much to disagree with.

It may not be right but it’s more right than wrong. Think of the inverse: what does UR do to distinguish that it really wants to win at a high/elite level?

We don’t seem to admit guys with subpar academics who could help push us over the top. We have an NIL but it seems poorly/haphazardly organized. We tend to under-recruit and struggle significantly to get our top targets to sign here. We don’t seem to source many external coaching candidates whose varied experience might otherwise propel us in advancing our style of play. We also have only recently tried to work the transfer route, being pretty moribund save for the last two years.

The two things we seem to be willing to do: 1) spend money on a practice facility that was arguably years behind where our competition was and 2) pay heavily for a coach whom we seem to pay too much to feel comfortable to move on from when he hasn’t produced much in the form of postseason success.

I don’t see a lot of concrete examples that we are being forward thinking about how to win at a really high clip.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT