ADVERTISEMENT

St. Bonaventure - Game 2

It wasn't much of a foul, but definitely a jersey pull.

Yes that’s it. Thanks SF Couldn’t see that slight, horrible, unimaginable really really hard foul from our spot. I’m going to have to watch the full game an additional 2 times now to my already 42 times I promised to watch for coach. Man this basketball thing is complicated 😀

I keep watching the reaction from Goose, where he was like yep, I fouled him and then immediately was like oh god, what did I just do. Burton's reaction to the ref was like "dude, we are only down 3, no way we would intentionally foul, there.

24-7!!

all is well (as long as Dji doesn't get playing time)
Loop Love GIF by Philbert

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I keep watching the reaction from Goose, where he was like yep, I fouled him and then immediately was like oh god, what did I just do. Burton's reaction to the ref was like "dude, we are only down 3, no way we would intentionally foul, there.
The video is mind boggling .. CoC game crazy foul on the 3pt shot was a huge deal too unfortunately.

agreed Goose intentionally fouled. the ref gave him the foul as it appeared Goose wanted to take the foul with the shirt grab. and he raised his hand pretty much confirming he wanted to foul. ref did the right thing, imo.

but base on everyone else's reaction ... we weren't supposed to foul there.

Reactions: ur2K and GKiller
SF, can you find the Coc game too. Would love to see that one as well.
yeah I was sitting behind Spiders bench so a good ways away from the play ... love Grant but the technical at Drake and this play will be unfortunate live game memories that I will always remember.

We forced 14 turnovers by the Bonnies, only gave up 5 offensive rebounds and their two leading scorers only scored 15 points combined (They usually average 27 combined) - and we lose. At home.

Plain and simple we are not shooting well enough to overcome our poor defense, and lack of inability to score in other ways.

Bailey - thought he played well in his first start. Unfortunately for Bailey and Nelson, in order for Mooney teams to succeed - we need our PG to be an all-league player. And I have not seen enough of Bailey or Nelson to say we have the answer there yet.

Nelson - another bad game for him. I have defended him this year saying these are frosh mistakes, and it will be up and down season. But the more bad games we have in a row and towards the end of the season, the more I worry he is not the answer at PG.

When we don't make 3's - we have no second option. You would think, okay - shots not falling. Lets pound inside to our 7 footer or lets have Grace and Burton post up - but that just doesn't happen. And Burton is really the only guy right now who can drive to the rim with consistency - even if he just puts his head down and drive right 90% of the time - guys can't stop it and he usually gets fouled. But we have no other way to score when our 3's don't fall and that makes it very hard to win games with this team.

agreed Goose intentionally fouled. the ref gave him the foul as it appeared Goose wanted to take the foul with the shirt grab. and he raised his hand pretty much confirming he wanted to foul. ref did the right thing, imo.

We clearly were not supposed to foul there and Goose messed up. It was foul, ref got it right, Goose just made an error.

We forced 14 turnovers by the Bonnies, only gave up 5 offensive rebounds and their two leading scorers only scored 15 points combined (They usually average 27 combined) - and we lose. At home.

Plain and simple we are not shooting well enough to overcome our poor defense, and lack of inability to score in other ways.

Bailey - thought he played well in his first start. Unfortunately for Bailey and Nelson, in order for Mooney teams to succeed - we need our PG to be an all-league player. And I have not seen enough of Bailey or Nelson to say we have the answer there yet.

Nelson - another bad game for him. I have defended him this year saying these are frosh mistakes, and it will be up and down season. But the more bad games we have in a row and towards the end of the season, the more I worry he is not the answer at PG.

When we don't make 3's - we have no second option. You would think, okay - shots not falling. Lets pound inside to our 7 footer or lets have Grace and Burton post up - but that just doesn't happen. And Burton is really the only guy right now who can drive to the rim with consistency - even if he just puts his head down and drive right 90% of the time - guys can't stop it and he usually gets fouled. But we have no other way to score when our 3's don't fall and that makes it very hard to win games with this team.
I can rock with most of this. Solid assessment

I thought Mooney was awful in the Dayton game. Today I thought it really came down to bad shooting and, at the end, shot selection. Of course, Mooney's subbing and lack of adjustments were noticeable, but at the end of the day, you have to make wide open three pointers. Period.

And Bigelow should not be taking three pointers at critical junctures in the game.
Are you saying we didn't bring Roche in near the end of the game to be a decoy so Bigelow & Nelson could take 3s?

I will be curious too. It looked like Goose reached out and did a really weak pull on his jersey, like he was intentionally fouling. It was weird because right away Goose had a reaction like he could not believe it - OR he could not believe he did it. Not sure if he accidentally caught the jersey, or just had a mental lapse, or what.

Exactly this sman. as previously described. some needed the video which is fine. Nothing at all to feel cheated about tho. A long reach that is often called. 23 I still believe it should have been asked regardless in postgame presser. That would remove some curiosity. confirm w mooney what was their plan, foul or not, easy to assume not based on reactions & how went down, but a very valid question. Or what he thought about the call.

Reactions: spider23
Could it be that they're shooting poorly because our offense isn't getting them great looks? 🤔🤔🤔
The offense is not designed to have Quinn on the low blocks most of the time rather than on the foul line, at the top of the key, or on the wing. The guards have not been taught or coached to throw high lobs to Quinn when he somehow manages to stumble down to the low blocks. Quinn had eight points in the first half and his last basket three minutes into the second half. I don't know how many shots he had after that but it wasn't many. I think if the millionaire could figure out how to get Quinn down low more often and get the others to get him the ball, things would open up more outside. I find it very interesting that the focus is on making threes instead of looking for shots around the foul line or a couple of steps inside the three point line. If these changes could be made now I think it would help this year's team and next year's team quite a bit. I will, however, not hold my breath.

It worked with Grant but Quinn is not Grant. Also helps that Grant had Gilly as one of his feed options. Right now, if he fed a perfect pass to our PG, Nelson would end up driving to the hoop and then passing it back out for a three ball attempt.

Again, we have different personnel and Mooney is trying to run sets that worked for last year's group and it isn't working, because we have an entirely different team.

This year it works best with Roche, but then of course Roche doesn't get enough PT to be in the position often.

Reactions: 64Spider
The offense is not designed to have Quinn on the low blocks most of the time rather than on the foul line, at the top of the key, or on the wing. The guards have not been taught or coached to throw high lobs to Quinn when he somehow manages to stumble down to the low blocks. Quinn had eight points in the first half and his last basket three minutes into the second half. I don't know how many shots he had after that but it wasn't many. I think if the millionaire could figure out how to get Quinn down low more often and get the others to get him the ball, things would open up more outside. I find it very interesting that the focus is on making threes instead of looking for shots around the foul line or a couple of steps inside the three point line. If these changes could be made now I think it would help this year's team and next year's team quite a bit. I will, however, not hold my breath.
You said getting the ball to Quinn would get us open looks, but we have had plenty of open looks. Also, Quinn doesn’t always get doubled and doesn't always beat his guy 1 on 1. 16+ footers and shots just inside the 3 line are the worst shots you can possibly take. I don't know too many offenses that would design plays to get these shots.

Reactions: MrTbone
Maybe you are like your spouse VT and you've seen all you need to see, who knows, maybe not..what was it by VT some guys maybe played that certain positions in school but they aren't really that in college....maybe its you that need to watch more 🤷‍♂️ and stop throwing slick and shady remarks every time you don't agree. The block isn't the sole reason I thought we were getting screwed over. It being reviewable makes my point, they had the right to review it and chose not to. Review it confirm it and move on. I can live with that bc you reviewed it in a close game. You and others did note it was "very very close" So no, that doesn't tell me all we need to know. IF you paid attention to the game you would know that our guys driving were getting killed and the double teams that came down on the bigs were fouling them every time. (St Bonny received bad calls as well) Vennings fouled Neal every possession and walked numerous times. There are others in the program that thought the same as me...But I'm going to try and study the game film tonight Coach Pop! I know you get real tight when you think someone is criticizing Goose or say anything about him at all(thought he played well last night defensively), but the Goose call was a towards the end. It had zero to do with a loose ball or Gooses fault from what I could see, and yeah it was an intentional foul which looked literally like a graze to the fingers of the Bonnie but like I said I will rewatch: but hey maybe I imagined the Goose call as well Coach...You know how us UNC, Cowboy fans are all the same.
bro, vt & I have debated as much as anyone. But I do think he knows hoops, he's just tethered to Mooney for whatever reason imo. But what he's right about, is the personal attacks actually come from u. The "watch more basketball" u have used on me too. That's where it came from. & now u bring more of them here. But u get away with it because u have a son on team and r protected by Spiders05 who will delete & edit your posts when u rant uncontrollably. u know this is a fact. I'm sure now that Dji started last night Mooney u now respect again lol.

Yet the rest of us will get a lecture about board decorum ironically from the guy who started the Fire Mooney Petition that had nasty comments out the wazoo.

Yes I like Goose, like his game & we all have fav players. Gerald Jarmon was my guy. Jermaine Bucknor was my guy. I realize u don't know those players. I'm a Richmond fan I do try to be objective. & I'm the one saying it was a foul on Goose! just got to smh when I hear about my advocacy of Goose from u given what u post here about Dji and how thin skinned & defensive u r. Hello...McFly?

My whole point was we were not cheated. Some rando within the program that won't speak up about it agrees. well they're wrong too. If someone else thinks it let them speak for themselves and I'd say the same thing. I don't see how anyone could feel cheated from that game. the two specific calls u brought up were the correct calls. Some banging will be missed both ways. u have the right to feel cheated of course. and I have right to not find it credible which i don't. Doesn't mean it can't happen in another game tho.

Also Dji played well

We have had some open looks - and just missed them. Then at other times - we take bad shots cause we are missing the open ones. We also don't understand time, place, personnel, etc. Example - end of game situation, we don't need Bigelow shooting a 3 or Nelson shooting a corner 3 - especially if they have not made a shot all night. Right now - end of game, it goes to Burton and everyone get out of the way. Thats our only option.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Yet the rest of us will get a lecture about board decorum ironically from the guy who started the Fire Mooney Petition that had nasty comments out the wazoo.
For the record, I wholeheartedly signed on the petition last year. Would sign, help draft one this year, gleefully at any time if I thought it would make a difference. Second, petition itself didn't have nasty comments, folks who signed could add comments and some of them may have been nasty, not sure, but petition itself was very professional and very factual.

And good on 05 for having the stones to start the petition. I'm sure 05 burned a lot of bridges with it because unlike most of us on this board, who can post anonymously, 05 is an admin, so those that know, know who he is, include players, coaches, admin.

The petition was just one prong of an approach last year (cause there was a lot going around behind the scenes) to oust Mooney and I believe that approach would have beared fruit, had we not gone on our miracle run.

Pretty confident, we will be back in the multi-pronged approach to oust him in another year or two because Mooney is who he is and most everyone knows that. Mooney of course as always has the opportunity to change this trajectory, but he won't because he can't.

devil's advocate ... if you're Schmidt and Quinn has 8 points in the 1st half and Spiders are throwing up bricks, aren't you going to do exactly what Schmidt did and sag a little making it harder to feed any post and force us to shoot 3's?

we need to make open 3's to extend a defense to then (hopefully) open up the blocks and driving lanes.

Right now - end of game, it goes to Burton and everyone get out of the way. Thats our only option.
and this is why he's struggling in conference. he's much more effective being a component of a multi-pronged offense than being the only threat.

Reactions: spider23
bro, vt & I have debated as much as anyone. But I do think he knows hoops, he's just tethered to Mooney for whatever reason imo. But what he's right about, is the personal attacks actually come from u. The "watch more basketball" u have used on me too. That's where it came from. & now u bring more of them here. But u get away with it because u have a son on team and r protected by Spiders05 who will delete & edit your posts when u rant uncontrollably. u know this is a fact. I'm sure now that Dji started last night Mooney u now respect again lol.

Yes I like Goose, like his game & we all have fav players. Gerald Jarmon was my guy. Jermaine Bucknor was my guy. I realize u don't know those players. I'm a Richmond fan I do try to be objective. & I'm the one saying it was a foul on Goose! just got to smh when I hear about my advocacy of Goose from u given what u post here about Dji and how thin skinned & defensive u r. Hello...McFly?

My whole point was we were not cheated. Some rando within the program that won't speak up about it agrees. well they're wrong too. If someone else thinks it let them speak for themselves and I'd say the same thing. I don't see how anyone could feel cheated from that game. the two specific calls u brought up were the correct calls. Some banging will be missed both ways. u have the right to feel cheated of course. and I have right to not find it credible which i don't. Doesn't mean it can't happen in another game tho.

Also Dji played well
"Also Dji played well" - I appreciate the love Coach! I need to get back to this game film though...this basketball thing is tough. I don't know how some of y'all do it.

Reactions: SpiderRick
The one I was thinking was right when they got over half court it looked as if Goose barely tapped him on the fingers. But haven't be able to see the game replay yet and you may be talking of the same play.
Yep--same play. Not really enough strength to affect anything, but pretty obvious shirt pull. Watching live, it was my "WTF are you doing Goose????" moment that I have every game. Sometimes it's a ridiculous tap on a guy that is in the middle of a dunk to give up a three point play (probably the most common), sometimes it is fouling a three point shooter, sometimes it is missing a wide open layup, sometimes it is an awful, awful turnover, but it is at least one a game.

I like Goose and he's a useful player, but these are incredibly maddening as an interested observer.

Why is it so hard for our coach -- whose entire offense is predicated on open looks from three and elsewhere -- to find guys who can make threes and to get guys open shots? That's the bigger question and problem.
And if you don't have the needed shooters to run your offense, you need to change your system to fit the roster. Coaching 101.

As for Dji, I loved his first half. That said, he seemed to play more passively on the offensive end in the second half--but I'll guess that maybe was due to foul trouble.

I think job 1 is done--give a good extended run that shows he can make a positive difference without bad turnovers (except that bad one at the very end). Next is ratchet up the offensive aggressiveness, while still not turning it over. Then we are onto something.

What would happen if we just scrapped "this" offense, whatever it is these days, and told the guys "Go play ball"? Anyone else ever wonder that? We have a lot of great athletes on the team. I bet they'd figure something out. I bet we could run with anyone in this league as much as we wanted to and score a lot of transition points.

" The guards have not been taught or coached to throw high lobs to Quinn when he somehow manages to stumble down to the low blocks."
I would disagree with this part a little. Absolutely right about the offense. I agree with you about getting Neal on the block more and take advantage but I just don't know if the system allows it. I think we should take advantages of our strengths more but they may mean coming out of the system imo. We have Roche...who hasn't shot it great in conf and Tyler as 3 pt threats but I don't think any one of those guys has been consistent enough for the system. If I can use a FB reference here...What makes Pete Carroll a very good coach was the willingness change his scheme or system to fit the personnel. That's not bagging on Coach Mooney it's just difference personal style. I agree with you on the belief that we could be successful mid-range and the low block and not just relying on the 3. ✊

Reactions: bongturk
As for Dji, I loved his first half. That said, he seemed to play more passively on the offensive end in the second half--but I'll guess that maybe was due to foul trouble.

I think job 1 is done--give a good extended run that shows he can make a positive difference without bad turnovers (except that bad one at the very end). Next is ratchet up the offensive aggressiveness, while still not turning it over. Then we are onto something.
Agreed only saw second half, thought Dji was a bit passive at times. He started as our PG and espicially because our SG is Goose, we need our PG to be looking for his shot more than Dji did. Realize it was his first start and extended play, but just be looking for your shot or opportunities to get to the rack more next game.

Would assume he starts again because Nelson certainly didn't do anything to wrestle the starting job back. We really need to get him right. He has way more talent than he has shown recently, I think he is has just hit a proverbial mental wall.

Def feel that...I do think the fouls took away some aggressiveness. I can say this w/o any doubt that it was great to see Dji be Dji for the most part and NOT get yanked 2-3 min in. He's just not an effective guy if that happens. But are there really any? He wasn't perfect but clearly anyone can see his ability to help this team if given an opportunity and he was and he did. That TO although dare I say "bad" he was trying to make something happen so I can live with 1 or 2 like that, but that would be it. At the end of the day he doesn't have a ton of court/time experience regardless of how many min he has played to this point. If he remains, I believe we see him get better each game, at least that's my prayer and hope. Also, Gilly sent him a really awesome message after the game that was 1st class.

"Also Dji played well" - I appreciate the love Coach! I need to get back to this game film though...this basketball thing is tough. I don't know how some of y'all do it.

Great. Again I was quoting u on the watch more basketball. But since u r doing that I also suggest message board tutoring and How to Tweet. That way u don't have to delete so much or ask the board admin to do it for u when u make another whoopsies.

For the record, I wholeheartedly signed on the petition last year. Would sign, help draft one this year, gleefully at any time if I thought it would make a difference. Second, petition itself didn't have nasty comments, folks who signed could add comments and some of them may have been nasty, not sure, but petition itself was very professional and very factual.

And good on 05 for having the stones to start the petition. I'm sure 05 burned a lot of bridges with it because unlike most of us on this board, who can post anonymously, 05 is an admin, so those that know, know who he is, include players, coaches, admin.

The petition was just one prong of an approach last year (cause there was a lot going around behind the scenes) to oust Mooney and I believe that approach would have beared fruit, had we not gone on our miracle run.

Pretty confident, we will be back in the multi-pronged approach to oust him in another year or two because Mooney is who he is and most everyone knows that. Mooney of course as always has the opportunity to change this trajectory, but he won't because he can't.

Had zero issue with petition. Would have been furious if Moon was back this year without that NCAA. Zero issue if u want to be "the Petition Guy" either. Yes, that's what I said...the comments. Not the petition language or the mission statement or whatever u want to call it, the comments people who sign it make. But those comments become part of the petition! There is no petition without ppl supporting it. is there a link still to it? idk but doubt it, banished to the scrap heap of the WWW. I was only making an observation which is I found it a little amusing that someone behind the petition with the crap on it would also be the one lecturing about decorum. Little hypocritical but hey that's jmo.

Yep--same play. Not really enough strength to affect anything, but pretty obvious shirt pull. Watching live, it was my "WTF are you doing Goose????" moment that I have every game. Sometimes it's a ridiculous tap on a guy that is in the middle of a dunk to give up a three point play (probably the most common), sometimes it is fouling a three point shooter, sometimes it is missing a wide open layup, sometimes it is an awful, awful turnover, but it is at least one a game.

I like Goose and he's a useful player, but these are incredibly maddening as an interested observer.

ONE a game? Wow I didn't realize it was that many.

Agreed only saw second half, thought Dji was a bit passive at times. He started as our PG and espicially because our SG is Goose, we need our PG to be looking for his shot more than Dji did. Realize it was his first start and extended play, but just be looking for your shot or opportunities to get to the rack more next game.

Would assume he starts again because Nelson certainly didn't do anything to wrestle the starting job back. We really need to get him right. He has way more talent than he has shown recently, I think he is has just hit a proverbial mental wall.

Nelson has a great attitude and will eventually get back to where he was in the early games of the season when he was hitting more shots and showed more confidence. Hard not to feel for him when his 3 point attempts were off. Dji has very good talent and is fun to watch. Definitely gets less aggressive when the foul calls come. Hopefully getting the starting opportunity will boost his confidence and help the team.

Great. Again I was quoting u on the watch more basketball. But since u r doing that I also suggest message board tutoring and How to Tweet. That way u don't have to delete so much or ask the board admin to do it for u when u make another whoopsies.
Ohhh assuming you are 😂 you know what they say right? I’m the one on here and Twitter and all social media with the real identity my guy…remember that… as well as you are the one that follows me 🫠. Never asked admin to delete anything coach. And before you fire off another 20 posts trying to come for me, at the very least get your facts together. In my AP classes we call that facts based research or evidence based research, you should try it.

Had zero issue with petition. Would have been furious if Moon was back this year without that NCAA. Zero issue if u want to be "the Petition Guy" either. Yes, that's what I said...the comments. Not the petition language or the mission statement or whatever u want to call it, the comments people who sign it make. But those comments become part of the petition! There is no petition without ppl supporting it. is there a link still to it? idk but doubt it, banished to the scrap heap of the WWW. I was only making an observation which is I found it a little amusing that someone behind the petition with the crap on it would also be the one lecturing about decorum. Little hypocritical but hey that's jmo.
The moderators job is keep decorum on this board. The petition was an online petition and don't think anyone could control the comments upon it. Yeah, the comments were probably heated because people are passionate about our program and were tired of it being led by a man who many of us feel is not up the task and further that as fans/alumni that our voices are constantly ignored.

Which is why this board is so toxic as well but moderator still has to keep it within some guiderails. I've gotten censored on here any number of times, it doesn't bother me, if I say something that someone things steps over the line, than fine. That is rare occasion though and think we are given wide latitude

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT