ADVERTISEMENT

Seismic Mooney

Anachnid

Rookie
Dec 31, 2021
My observation only-CM for only the second time in his UR coaching career has made adjustments, the first was when David G announced he was transferring out. He stayed and CM adjusted the O to be more free and for the kids more fun, leading to the two NCAA appearances and the sweet 16. For the next decade he kept trying to plug all the new kids into to this system and it just did not work.
Nelson and Burton transfer out and CM has finally adjusted again. He is letting these talented kids play to their strengths and not yanking them on a perceived mistake, the kids play like they are having fun and looking at each other with trust and support and not over their shoulder at the bench. ALL of them are good and fun to watch AND they are improving.
Spiderdad your son played a tough game. He can fix his free throws. Rewatch the game and his FT. Easy fix.

My observation only-CM for only the second time in his UR coaching career has made adjustments, the first was when David G announced he was transferring out. He stayed and CM adjusted the O to be more free and for the kids more fun, leading to the two NCAA appearances and the sweet 16. For the next decade he kept trying to plug all the new kids into to this system and it just did not work.
Nelson and Burton transfer out and CM has finally adjusted again. He is letting these talented kids play to their strengths and not yanking them on a perceived mistake, the kids play like they are having fun and looking at each other with trust and support and not over their shoulder at the bench. ALL of them are good and fun to watch AND they are improving.
Spiderdad your son played a tough game. He can fix his free throws. Rewatch the game and his FT. Easy fix.
Dji has been one of our major weapons in many of our wins this season, Dayton game being a good example.

I have been a huge Mooney apologist and then a huge Mooney basher.

Have to give him a ton of credit this year. Some areas of note:
1 - Talent. This has been the number one criticism of mine most years. I'll admit I was worried this year, but the late pick and reclassification of Tyne, and the addition of DLo really really solidified the back court. DLo has exceeded my expectations. King great pick up too obviously, and he is been everything advertised and more. This allowed Dji to move to wing, and Dji and Bigs have become that killer wing combo that can lock down and do a little of everything. Mooney pivoted quickly from the failed Nelson experiment to add impact and experienced back court help. We can debate the HS recruiting, but the eye test for Tanner, Bryson McGlothin, Robinson, Soulis looks good to me and while I think we will look to bring in more impact guys from the portal next season, I can see any of them or Noyes getting minutes. Not all, but 2-3 possibly having an impact.
2. Fire - I have seen Mooney more engaged and on the officials from minute 1 in the games this year. Just my observation, but he looks like he has the fire back. I remember passing him in the hall at Fordham one year - he was coming out from the locker room (Gonzo/KA backcourt year) - following a lackluster 1st half performance. He looked like he had steam coming off him.
3. Defense - This has been a big theme of mine. I think we saw the seeds planted last season (giving Boyden some props here but the credit/blame ultimately lays with the HC) as I saw improvement and emphasis last year - but ultimately the lack of talent (Nelson in particular on this end)/healthy Dji, etc we were not able to sustain. This season, guys are locked in, have the ability to play D and seem to be loving playing D. The offense is not as pretty at certain times, but if you bring that D every game you have a chance. Like the start of the Dayton game, the lack of offense was crazy, BUT the super D kept us in it.
4. Chemistry - great job molding all the new players together with the holdovers

Super job so far this year. Let's keep it rolling.

moving Dji to the wing seems obvious in retrospect, but it wasn't at the time. having a 3rd ball handler on the floor and a guy who attacks the rim was a game changer. plus (and probably most important) his defense.

we're not a finesse team any more. we're athletic and tough across the roster. we never let up defensively. it's the kind of team 23 has been calling for in his SDSU comparisons. I hope this is a philosophy Mooney keeps going forward.

KenPom's adjusted defensive efficiency rating has SDSU at #18 and Spiders at #35.

Torvik's version has SDSU at #18 and Spiders at #22.

Reactions: mr.spider

1 - Talent. This has been the number one criticism of mine most years. I'll admit I was worried this year, but the late pick and reclassification of Tyne, and the addition of DLo really really solidified the back court. DLo has exceeded my expectations. King great pick up too obviously, and he is been everything advertised and more. This allowed Dji to move to wing, and Dji and Bigs have become that killer wing combo that can lock down and do a little of everything. Mooney pivoted quickly from the failed Nelson experiment to add impact and experienced back court help. We can debate the HS recruiting, but the eye test for Tanner, Bryson McGlothin, Robinson, Soulis looks good to me and while I think we will look to bring in more impact guys from the portal next season, I can see any of them or Noyes getting minutes. Not all, but 2-3 possibly having an impact.
2. Fire - I have seen Mooney more engaged and on the officials from minute 1 in the games this year. Just my observation, but he looks like he has the fire back. I remember passing him in the hall at Fordham one year - he was coming out from the locker room (Gonzo/KA backcourt year) - following a lackluster 1st half performance. He looked like he had steam coming off him.
3. Defense - This has been a big theme of mine. I think we saw the seeds planted last season (giving Boyden some props here but the credit/blame ultimately lays with the HC) as I saw improvement and emphasis last year - but ultimately the lack of talent (Nelson in particular on this end)/healthy Dji, etc we were not able to sustain. This season, guys are locked in, have the ability to play D and seem to be loving playing D. The offense is not as pretty at certain times, but if you bring that D every game you have a chance. Like the start of the Dayton game, the lack of offense was crazy, BUT the super D kept us in it.
4. Chemistry - great job molding all the new players together with the holdovers

I’ll second this.

I think this year is a unique year and one that Mooney will have a hard time replicating. All the pieces fit and he ended up with an all “senior” starter team with only one true UR senior. He is letting his “seniors” play to their strengths even if they don’t match exactly what he would like to see. The team is good defensively due to better speed and athleticism across the floor when compared to the teams I have been closely following over the last decade.

I am very surprised at the numbers of “impact transfers” he and the staff have been able to identify and land as history did not bode well in this category. There have single players, but never multiple players at once. Perhaps this has to do with the fact that the volume of available transfers have exponentially increased with the rules change and of course the extra Covid year. Only one more year of the “extra” year and that ending is going to make a significant difference on player availability in my opinion.

In any case, this season has been a great “surprise” and I hope the Spiders can keep up the winning ways. It would be awesome if Richmond can bring home the elusive regular season champion title. Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
Agree about all regarding the Moondog. He likely has decided to losen the reigns on this group because of their experience. Dont know if changes were made to the D system or this is a more talented group that has adapted to it better than others, but I see far fewer mismatched and breakdowns than in the past. Is this a more straight up man to man then the switching mtm from the past?

sman - I agree, but I do feel like we have seen far more early in the shot clock semi-transition 3s this year. King and Bigelow have free rein to pull up it seems. Roche too. King took a 1 on 4 three point attempt vs Dayton, not sure anyone else was even in the frontcourt. He's letting them loose more I think. Even Tyne seems to have more leeway to shoot if he's open, no matter the shot clock. Honestly, IMO it's when UR goes into pass-only / run the offense to death looking for the uber-perfect shot that it runs into trouble.

I keep reading this but don't think it's true. we're still 100% running his offensive system.
Not saying that the Mooney offensive system has been scrapped. What I am trying to say is that running the offense to the T (perfect fluidity) is not as important to him. He is going to accept a less than perfect shot attempt from the starters because they are experienced and probably because he knows taking them out of the game is not going to make a difference. However, if one of the underclassmen were to do the same thing, they are going to be sitting on the bench.

Reactions: brooklyn brownstone
sman - I agree, but I do feel like we have seen far more early in the shot clock semi-transition 3s this year. King and Bigelow have free rein to pull up it seems. Roche too. King took a 1 on 4 three point attempt vs Dayton, not sure anyone else was even in the frontcourt. He's letting them loose more I think. Even Tyne seems to have more leeway to shoot if he's open, no matter the shot clock. Honestly, IMO it's when UR goes into pass-only / run the offense to death looking for the uber-perfect shot that it runs into trouble.
Gilyard and Golden could do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Francis too. I don't think this is a change in philosophy. He lets the older guys play and always have. Tyne, Walz, and Noyes have much shorter leashes than King, Hunt, Bigs, and Quinn. Dji had to work his way into the latter group for sure.

Reactions: spiderman
Gilyard and Golden could do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Francis too. I don't think this is a change in philosophy. He lets the older guys play and always have. Tyne, Walz, and Noyes have much shorter leashes than King, Hunt, Bigs, and Quinn. Dji had to work his way into the latter group for sure.
100%.
and I think the difference between King pulling up for early shots more often than Gilyard did is more an example of the difference in how those two players choose to play than it is in Mooney's coaching.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Honestly, IMO it's when UR goes into pass-only / run the offense to death looking for the uber-perfect shot that it runs into trouble.
Good point here. From Day 1 with this team, we seemed to be running the offense to score, not to "run the offense". Hard to say if change in philosophy/better coaching/instruction, or having guys that can make plays and shots? For instance, I feel like Noyes "runs the offense" when he has played, hunting the next pass, and not looking at the basket. Walz too in the last few weeks. I think that may be more lack of confidence or knowing better options.

This is all very true. The main difference between this group and the Golden-Gilyard group is the defense and the intensity in which we play it. We all know that Golden was not the best defender and didn't always give the best defensive effort, Gilly was a steal extraordinare, but easy to shoot over and if he missed the steal, it left the rest of the defense in a bad position.

This team everyone is locked in to their assignments at all times on defense and we have 5 starters who are all really good defenders individually and collectively that makes our defense great.

moving Dji to the wing seems obvious in retrospect, but it wasn't at the time. having a 3rd ball handler on the floor and a guy who attacks the rim was a game changer. plus (and probably most important) his defense.

we're not a finesse team any more. we're athletic and tough across the roster. we never let up defensively. it's the kind of team 23 has been calling for in his SDSU comparisons. I hope this is a philosophy Mooney keeps going forward.
Play to the players’ talents and abilities over force fitting into a system. The system is always gonna be present but letting the players do what they can and do best is now evident. We are playing much more aggressively, and it’s more exciting to watch, and we are consistently winning. Good stuff.

Play to the players’ talents and abilities over force fitting into a system. The system is always gonna be present but letting the players do what they can and do best is now evident. We are playing much more aggressively, and it’s more exciting to watch, and we are consistently winning. Good stuff.
Even these guys make careless mistakes- like driving down on a superior defender while drinking. Or forcing a jump hook with one hand, while taking a shot of tequila with the other. Even worse, they double dribble with two beers and nachos. That is on the coach.

Agree with everything you said except for the part of our freshmen and future freshmen passing the eye test. They haven’t played enough to show us anything at this point. I’m hopeful, but as you said Mooney is having a lot more success with transfers than with high school recruits.

I would say last year or 9 out of the last 11 would have been better. This year he actually has a pulse and things are going well. Last year when he was slacking is a better choice.
Wow. Maybe last year he didn't have much of a pulse, because Coach Mooney had open heart surgery in the middle of the season.

Let’s make another NCAA tournament before we fit him for his crown.
Yes 2 trips out of 3 seasons is a far cry from the once a decade routine it looked like we were headed for, but let's see how everything plays out. Personally, I want to win the A10 title and leave no doubt on Selection Sunday!

Agree with everything you said except for the part of our freshmen and future freshmen passing the eye test. They haven’t played enough to show us anything at this point. I’m hopeful, but as you said Mooney is having a lot more success with transfers than with high school recruits.
they pass the eye test from their high school highlights.
there's little doubt in my mind that we have young, skilled, athletic talent in the pipeline.

Reactions: mr.spider
Coach Mooney has really changed his approach to attract and coach new transfers.

"Chris Mooney modified his player-procurement method. The way he coaches changed accordingly.

"Of the University of Richmond’s top eight players, six are transfers.

“You treat that guy the same way you would a freshman in the first month of his college career? Probably not, and so I think we’ve all had to make that adjustment,” said Mooney, UR’s coach since 2005. “How do you coach effectively someone who’s maybe on their third coach?”

"Appreciating that coaching older transfers differs from directing developing young players, Mooney pushed the right buttons with this group. “They might have had a completely different role or spoken a completely different kind of (basketball) language at their previous school,” he said."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT