ADVERTISEMENT

Bigelow compared to Burton

Irony is that we might have a better shot at the tournament than Nova does.

Well the gap is at least closing. But Nova will be one of those 14 loss teams the NCAA loves and puts in without much of a thought unfortunately. The metrics love them, they got like 50 spots on us in Kenpom and NET. Early season UNC win does a ton.

Reactions: urfan1
I just watched Burton live against StJohns. There is something missing with him. He plays as if he is nervous/anxious. He is never the guy who looks like he is the best player on the court. VU is not good and he is not a top BE player imo.

Last edited:
Well the gap is at least closing. But Nova will be one of those 14 loss teams the NCAA loves and puts in without much of a thought unfortunately. The metrics love them, they got like 50 spots on us in Kenpom and NET. Early season UNC win does a ton.
They will make the dance. Its Villanova. They are not a good team though. Coach wont last long

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. If Tyler hadn’t got paid this would end up looking like a very regrettable move

Those two teams were really physical and Tyler to me just looks stiff. His play is not very fluid.

It looks to me his teammates don't trust him and he knows it.

I have not been impressed with Neptune's coaching there. The system doesn't fit the guys they have at all. Or rather, the guys they paid for don't fit the system.

Nova fans can’t stand Neptune. And even at the time it seemed odd to hand the keys to the Caddy over to someone who had only test-driven a Yugo. I know he was on that staff for awhile with Wright, but that’s a two-time NCAA championship program in the past decade… they could have hired any number of proven winners.

Yeah, blue blood programs hiring within always is an interesting choice.

You do realize you are Villanova and you literally can have the pick of just about any coach in the country, but yeah lets go with the unproven guy who is was the head coach of Fordham for all of 1 year.

Will be interesting to see how Michigan does under Sherrone Moore, whose claim to fame seems to be weeping on National TV on how they overcame the immense tragedy of losing their head coach to a suspension for stealing signs.

Yep, Michigan surely played the victim card of "we got caught unfairly, EVERYONE else is doing it" masterfully." And what's crazy is the national media seemed to just play along with the narrative.

But I agree, it is crazy that these top programs go the unproven route. At our level, I always like the up and coming guy that has outperformed at the lower levels, but a Villanova could have grabbed someone with a lot of W's under the belt.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
At this point in the season, Bigelow is averaging 12 pts and 7 rebounds. Burton is averaging 8 points and 7 rebounds. Different competition yes, but the fall off I feared at that position for the Spiders has not materilized. I love Burton, but Bigelow has filled the position better than I would have dared to hope.

Super disappointing loss for Villanova today. Jumped out to an 11–0 lead over Butler and led the entire game until Butler tied it up with 5 seconds left to send it to OT. Tyler did have an efficient 13 and 10.

Reactions: urfan1
to compare the fall off you have to compare against Burton's stats from last season.

I understand the gist of your point. Bigs is playing really well. It's just another comparison to Tyler that is not a correct one.

Burton was one of my all-time favorite Spiders, and Bigs has a similar game, where he does a little bit of everything. I think the team is flowing much better with Bigs than last year with Burton dominating the offense.

A direct comparison during conference play of Burton last year verses Bigs this year (I can't find the exact data) Bigs probably is getting more rebounds at 9 per game despite less minutes. Although Bigs is scoring less points per game his 3 point percentage is 38.5%, where Tyler's was closer to 20%.

It is every hard to point to one player and say he is the reason we are winning, because all 5 starters are contributing a lot. We are a very balanced team and would be negatively impacted if any of the starters went down. Filling Bigs shoe next year from the transfer portal is not going to be easy.

I think this year is showing that our offense needs to run through the point guard and center - our best teams have had those two positions as the focal points. Burton was great, but the offense was worse when everything ran through him -

I think this year is showing that our offense needs to run through the point guard and center - our best teams have had those two positions as the focal points. Burton was great, but the offense was worse when everything ran through him -
100% agree

Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT