ADVERTISEMENT

Really Providence coach?

Anachnid

Rookie
Dec 31, 2021

Might just be me, but I find his comments condescending to me as an alumni from a coach who just walloped us and addresses as basically as ne’er will bes. Second reading is that he made these comments all about our losingist coach in history without regard to the school or the program while acknowledging the lack of success. Or as another poster pointed out Mooney over program.

Might just be me, but I find his comments condescending to me as an alumni from a coach who just walloped us and addresses as basically as ne’er will bes. Second reading is that he made these comments all about our losingist coach in history without regard to the school or the program while acknowledging the lack of success. Or as another poster pointed out Mooney over program.

I respect Cooley & he had the podium after a win he can say what he wants, but this is primarily coaches protecting their colleagues and profession. If you add up all the "one of the best coaches in the country" comments it would probably cover 50% of all sitting D1 coaches. Last week fired Matt McCall at Umass was one of them. Schools should be knocking down Mooney's door if this was all true. LSU needs the opposite of Will Wade so I guess they are salivating.

I respect Cooley & he had the podium after a win he can say what he wants, but this is primarily coaches protecting their colleagues and profession. If you add up all the "one of the best coaches in the country" comments it would probably cover 50% of all sitting D1 coaches. Last week fired Matt McCall at Umass was one of them. Schools should be knocking down Mooney's door if this was all true. LSU needs the opposite of Will Wade so I guess they are salivating.
Exactly, you hit he nail on the head. If Mooney was so great, 300 schools would be begging for him. There isn’t one. It’s all you need to know.

Reactions: Dr. Spidey
After our team played as bad as any team could play, with our “stars” looking like
kids on a playground (except Cayo) you guys are going to attack Mooney again.
That makes sense???

Yes we are. He did not have them mentally prepared. They were stone cold coming out of the tunnel before the game, no smiles, barely any fan acknowledgement. It was very off.

Yes we are. He did not have them mentally prepared. They were stone cold coming out of the tunnel before the game, no smiles, barely any fan acknowledgement. It was very off.
One thing about head coaches is they have a set routine, and I’d bet you dollars to donuts that Mooney prepared the team the same way he had done for Iowa. After 5 emotional games, the team had run out of gas.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Spidey
Well it does look like Mooney saved 3 timeouts. I guess he can turn those in later for cash and prizes. They may have been better utilized to stop the Friar momentum in the first half before the game was over at halftime.

Last edited:
I would be stunned if any AD in the country, at any level, had Mooney’s name and number on their go to list in their desk drawer.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Well it does look like Mooney saved 3 timeouts. I guess he can turn those in later for cash and prizes. They may have been better utilized to stop the Friar momentum in the first half before the game was over at halftime.
He could have used 20 timeouts and it wasn't going to stop that train.

Reactions: plydogg
Cooley also admitted, though, that almost no other administrations would let someone stick around so long with no NCAA appearances. We can debate whether that’s good or bad, but it’s fact.
Yes, the lede was sort of buried here.

How do you know?
How do you not know? They beat us by 28, could have been 38. Time outs on that day wasn't going gonna make 3 point shots for us or foul shots. If we had shot 100% better from 3, we would have shot 8%. Wasn't our day from the minute we walked on the floor. It happens. Ask Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stork3 and plydogg
Cooley beats Mooney by leaps and bounds every year, in recruiting, or in games. He just beat our brains out with his superior team that could have played two games nonstop, since they NEVER miss but a few shots. I think Mr. Vitale calls it superior talent.

So what does Coach Cooley do? He says that Richmond made the right choice to stick with Mooney ("so that I can continue to wipe the floor on the recruiting trail with Mooney until the cows come home.") He compliments Mooney as being one of the best coaches and programs in the country ("so that Richmond will get lazy with its financial support of basketball, so they get screwed in admissions - unless Hardt keeps them honest - and the fairy tale of Richmond's winningest coach in its history - who is actually the losingest coach in its history - will make all those Southerners fat and happy - and I can then out-recruit them year after year and win tons of games." Yeah!") ("At least, now, Mooney thinks I am a good guy")

"Hey - I can take video of our game to the Atlanta AAU Classic this summer. I wonder who will choose Richmond after seeing that!" "A month after that, I'll have to pull some strings to get Chris Mooney selected as some sort of Man Of The Year for his work outside of basketball. Richmond will brag about that - and my guys and I will still out-recruit him and win 25 games per year for the next ten years! If the opponent is underachieving, that means that I should make certain that his school keeps him." "I don't have very many years before retiring." "Yeah - that's the ticket."

Come on Mr. Hallock, Mr. Hardt, Mr. Queally, Mr. Dickinson, Mr. Hale - let's give Chris what he needs in order to help him in this offseason. We don't have much coming back next year regarding experience. Make Chris a player in the transfer portal. Make certain that we are all on the same team, top to bottom. Go Spiders!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Coaching is a fraternity. This is just simply one fraternity brother looking for out another. I have no issue with it. What would expect him to say - "I can't believe UR stuck with Mooney this long. I wonder what they will do now that we beat them by 30?".

Of course not. I do believe in giving coaches chances. For example - I don't believe in firing coaches after 2-3 years. Like Christian at GW. Unless he did something behind the scenes that really upset administration - I think a coach like that, who did not experience an overall record improvement, but they have improved in the A10 and with a roster that is mostly returning next year - I like to see coaches get 4-5 years before being let go. This usually gives them 1 full recruiting class to turn things around. So I get consistency there and believe in it. After that - its a fine line to walk.

If you compare that to Mooney. He made the first NCAA appearance in year 5 and year 6. So in my mind, right on schedule. Then if you look at 5 years after those appearances - we were an NIT team in year 4, and then a .500 team in year 5. Followed up with an NIT appearance in year 6 (think an NIT 1 seed too). SO I think you had grounds to let him go at that time, but you could also look at the NIT appearances and say "we just missed the NCAA - keep going".

Reactions: 8legs1dream
The positive is that I wouldn't expect frat brother Cooley to come after Burton. It sounds like Burton has every intention of coming back anyway. But agree with most on here, this is just normal coach speak. Every game, unless the coaches really hate each other like Cal and Chaney, they praise each other.

Reactions: Zeeter
We all know the administration will take this as Mooney is a great coach. Gotta honor the players that came together and helped us make this improbable run to the A10 championship and then knocking out the big ten champ. However the Providence game pointed a few things out to me; one is that our style of play isn’t one that can lead to sustainable success. Providence may have shot lights out but we still got bullied on the boards and in my opinion were a little intimidated. It’s one thing if a team is raining 3’s on you but you still gotta have other ways to keep yourself in a game. Good defense and rebounding will always keep you in a game. Unfortunately we don’t really do either of those so if a team has an unreal shooting night like the other night, there is no chance we can overcome that.

The other thing I want to point out is what I think our administrations attitude is towards basketball. I went to the robins center for the first few minutes of the game Saturday and can’t help but think this is what the school wants. For us to be really competitive and every once in a while make the NCAA’s if the chips fall right and maybe win a game or two. They have no intention of making this a regular thing. We can be so much more than that. It’s great that we had an awesome finish to this season but can’t help but think when we will get this again. You think mooney is gonna change any of his flaws now? Keep dreaming.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Cooley just got a gift wrapped victory to the Sweet 16 and making this statement is both good PR for him and his coaching brethren. Maybe him and Mooney are buddies who knows and everyone is gonna stick up their buddy.

At any rate, as someone else said, it is a big nothingburger. Mooney is back, no other school is going to be calling Mooney, which if he is as great as Cooley says he is, seems a bit odd to me.

All that said, Mooney led this team on an all time great run the past two weeks. Credit is where credit is due and the man probably deserves some positive PR from it.

you guys are funny. I certainly wouldn't expect Cooley to say anything negative about Mooney, but if he did you'd be all over it.
but if a highly respected coach instead says positive things about Mooney then he's wrong. or a frat brother. or has an ulterior motive.

so our season finally ended. later than a few here really wanted, it they're honest. now those few can go back to the repetitive, daily complaining they enjoy so much for the next 8 months.

Reactions: plydogg

If his comment was authentic (which I do not believe for the reasons others have already stated), what Cooley just said was that Mooney's players over the past # of years have been very bad. Logic being that If Mooney's players were even decent, "one of the best coaches in the country" would not experience the mediocrity of Mooney's lifetime record.

We all know that isn't true. This is fraternity BS, perhaps Cooley is even setting up a personal excuse if and when he might need it.

Give me a quote from the tournament this year where a coach made a negative comment about another coaches ability or state of the program.
I can't and I assume there aren't any unless one coach really hates another.
but not every coach goes overboard in praise either.

You could look at his quote with a bit of sarcasm as well. Like - no other administration in the country would stick with their coach like UR did.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Or - Cooley's thinking I'm feeling great after we had our biggest blowout win of the season so I might as well thank the opposing coach by blowing lots of "smoke" his way...why not? People will think I am being magnamious in victory..........................or not giving it much thought at all his exuberance had him in a talking mode...and why not?

Reactions: Eight Legger
You could look at his quote with a bit of sarcasm as well. Like - no other administration in the country would stick with their coach like UR did.
Cooley thanking Mooney for allowing him to rest his players for half the game.

I can't and I assume there aren't any unless one coach really hates another.
but not every coach goes overboard in praise either.
I heard last week there was a gofundme campaign started for Will Wade's legal defense fund targeted to D1 coaches. As of this morning, I checked and no one had contributed however.

Reactions: SpiderK
I heard last week there was a gofundme campaign started for Will Wade's legal defense fund targeted to D1 coaches. As of this morning, I checked and no one had contributed however.
Hard to trust the FBI anymore no matter which side you are on, but I think they nailed Will pretty well.

Exactly. He basically said anywhere else would have canned Mooney years ago. If anything, it kind of validates the feelings of many in our fan base. It was meant as a compliment but it is certainly an unintended backhanded compliment.

No question, Mooney bought himself some more time with this run. But let there be no mistake, this run, while incredible, unexpected, and awesome is not some cure all salve that will magically heal the wounds of the past 11 years.

Mooney needs to use this time wisely and immediately go get some recruits who saw UR all over their screens the past two weeks, otherwise he is going to be right back in the purgatory he found himself in his year in short time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT