ADVERTISEMENT

Self Banning

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
Fan2011 has a lot of really valid points in his other thread. There is too much negativity on this board. I really don't think that's anyone's fault here and the Ron and Aaron as moderators have done a terrific job of letting us all run on a pretty long leash. They are to be commended for that. The fault lies with the UR Administration, who is satisfied running this program like the Flying Squirrels handle their business.

The reality now that Bryce is headed elsewhere is there will be no legitimate good news for Spider basketball until the season begins. Coach Mooney has already capitulated on April 11th not mattering, we have no track record of helpful recruits this late in the game or helpful grad transfers and the kid from Wagner is pretty marginal, even if he does come here to resume playing in the 2019-2020 season, unfortunately. With no positives other than the occasional visit to the Robins Center where SpiderNation poster can tell us how good our incumbent players are looking, the board just becomes a bastion of anti-Mooney sentiment. Fan2011 is 100% correct.

There are too many other positive things going on in life, including year 2 of the Coach Huesman regime with Spider football, to continue posting on or even reading the Spider basketball message board until the season begins. Again, no knock on Ron, Aaron or any other poster here. Frankly, i have a ton of respect for ulla and others that keep on putting lipstick on the pig. If that group really does care about having a successful program, i am sure they will capitulate on the current regime at some point in the future, if they haven't already.

To the joy of, perhaps, many ... bye.

Last edited:
Fan2011 has a lot of really valid points in his other thread. There is too much negativity on this board. I really don't think that's anyone's fault here and the Ron and Aaron as moderators have done a terrific job of letting us all run on a pretty long leash. They are to be commended for that.

The reality now that Bryce is headed elsewhere is there will be no legitimate good news for Spider basketball until the season begins. Coach Mooney has already capitulated on April 11th not mattering, we have no track record of helpful helpful recruits this late in the game or helpful grad transfers and the kid from Wagner is pretty marginal, even if he does come here to resume playing in the 2019-2020 season, unfortunately. With no positives other than the occasional visit to the Robins Center where SpiderNation poster can tell us how good our incumbent players are looking, the board just becomes a bastion of anti-Mooney sentiment. Fan2011 is 100% correct.

There are too many other positive things going on in life, including year 2 of the Coach Huesman regime with Spider football, to continue posting on or even reading the Spider basketball message board until the season begins. Again, no knock on Ron, Aaron or any other poster here. Frankly, i have a ton of respect for ulla and others that keep on putting lipstick on the pig. If that group really does care about having a successful program, i am sure they will capitulate on the current regime at some point in the future, if they haven't already.

So it begins. The exodus. I'll go with you as well. I only came back because I thought there might be change. Some kind of change. Any kind of change. No change, not even a lower level coach exit or reassignment of responsibilites. Keep hoping, I guess.

Reactions: whampas
So it begins. The exodus. I'll go with you as well. I only came back because I thought there might be change. Some kind of change. Any kind of change. No change, not even a lower level coach exit or reassignment of responsibilites. Keep hoping, I guess.
I will think about it too. I have thought of this in the past, but I do think the level of acceptance of our mediocrity has spurred my recent posting behavior. That and the FMM. And the fact that Mooney never changes. I am afraid of the single thought process wasteland that this board will become if we lose folks like Octa, 97, Moliva, etc. I am still giving Mooney a chance to land some impact guys - hoping against hope. Looks like Moliva has given up hope on Mooney. I am still with you Mooney, you can do it. I'll admit losing out on the Columbia transfer and Bryce so badly was not a good luck, but I have faith.

I have lot long and hard about this myself. Not quite ready to pull that cord yet, but I am close, really close. And not just for this board but the program in general. I was raised not to be some fair weather fan and sticking with your team through thick and thin (and I am a Philly sports fan, so there is A LOT of thin).

At this point the only thing keeping me engaged are my kids really enjoy going to the games. I don't anymore and that is sad because Spider men's basketball was my number 1 team to root for in any sport. I honestly hate that it has come to this point.

I have been more than willing to let Mooney win me back and have said repeatedly, I would man up and apologize to him and to all for all I said, if he could right this ship. Instead, he just keeps validating my greatest fears about where this is all going to head. Maybe I should just sit back watch it sink.

Nobody wants to see any posters leave, but each has to make their own decision. I would prefer you stay, but just be more mindful, 1) constant, over the top, negativity on the boards will have no impact on the AD's decision about our program and 2) it will have no positive affect on the boards. All I've asked is that you temper, or balance your thoughts.

Best to all.

The addictive nature of this message board along with much of social media which leads one to think that there has to be someone out there (other than their close kin) who actually wants to hear their opinion makes it tough to think that other than a very select few, most posters will keep coming back for more. I mean where else can one be under the illusion that his/her opinion of Richmond basketball counts for something? Paul Queally of course is an exception.

Fan2011 has a lot of really valid points in his other thread. There is too much negativity on this board. I really don't think that's anyone's fault here and the Ron and Aaron as moderators have done a terrific job of letting us all run on a pretty long leash. They are to be commended for that. The fault lies with the UR Administration, who is satisfied running this program like the Flying Squirrels handle their business.

The reality now that Bryce is headed elsewhere is there will be no legitimate good news for Spider basketball until the season begins. Coach Mooney has already capitulated on April 11th not mattering, we have no track record of helpful recruits this late in the game or helpful grad transfers and the kid from Wagner is pretty marginal, even if he does come here to resume playing in the 2019-2020 season, unfortunately. With no positives other than the occasional visit to the Robins Center where SpiderNation poster can tell us how good our incumbent players are looking, the board just becomes a bastion of anti-Mooney sentiment. Fan2011 is 100% correct.

Bye, Mo. See you over on the Football Board, and hopefully at tailgate on 9/8. I'll buy your first drink.

Well, the news has only gotten worse since Mo's self-imposed exile, and so has the negativity.

Add in the endless off-topic debates, speculation and conspiracies, humorless new posters, and the desire by #realfans to run off passionate Spiders who don't wear the same rose-colored glasses; it's just become a drag.

Sports are supposed to be fun. The only thing that brings a smile to my face on SpiderNation is the landing page:
NEXT
Sat, Sep 1, 12:00 PM EDT
rrc.gif

Rich(0-0)
vvb_3.gif

UVa(0-0)

(OK, and the stories about Kyle)

Ciao!

I'm feeling okay this morning
And you know
We're on the road to paradise
Here we go, here we go

Maybe you wonder where you are
I don't care
Here is where time is on our side
Take you there, take you there

OK, I am self banning too

NOT

Here is a little deal with the devil I will make, I will self ban if either Ulla or Spiderman will do so? I am waiting. Here is your chance.
I'm out, if 97 and you self ban. Sounds like a deal as spiderman has self banned.

You know, I get this. Nevertheless, I am not going to self ban. I just don't know how much longer I will continue to have interest. I already watched or listened fewer games this year than I ever have before. I tried to really get involved heavily at UR a couple of years ago, but that didn't work out, and it disappointed me greatly. I have counted on basketball to be the one thing that would keep me interested, but even that is getting screwed up.

I will post on whatever interests me, for as long as it interests me. If I fade away, well, too bad, UR. You've lost another alum.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
I hope everyone comes back eventually. Would love to hear about how often people checked the board during their vacations, how much they missed the board, and if their vacation from the board had any meaningful effect on their overall quality of life.

Reactions: urfan1
I’d prefer civility, comments with substance, and less personal jabs instead of self-banning.

I don’t always agree with 23 and 97, but their frustration is important for us not to get complacent, plus opposing views are important for progress.

I also don’t agree with Ulla and Spiderman all the time, but staying positive is equally as important so I don’t want to slit my wrists reading this board, plus again opposing views are important for discussion.

Also, I love Ulla’s inside knowledge of who’s visiting campus, what’s happening at practice, etc. That type of info is part of the reason I come back to read the board, because it’s impossible for me to stop by the Robin’s Center constantly.

And in closing, **** VCU!

Geez. I was fine until I started reading this thread. Now I'm torn, struggling to decide whether it's time to confront this existential dilemma.
"On such a full sea are we now afloat?"

"So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore"

fezz totally nailed it - nobody else is as absorbed with all sports Spider related as those of us who post on this board because their Spider passion is not as intense or they actually call the shots for Spider sports and have no need of this banter.........

Reactions: urfan1
If the self banners have their own private board that they can go to to occasionally converse with other self banning friends, then I will self ban from the regular message board and just post on the self banning board (unless I later self ban from the self banning board or un-self ban from the regular board).

The Ulla is self banning. Be back when the negativity subsides. Go Spiders!

The Ulla is self banning. Be back when the negativity subsides. Go Spiders!
You will be missed, but hard to blame you. The negativity on here is beyond disgusting. Not only criticizing our sweet 16 year ("we should have gone farther"), but talking down nearly all of our recruits "("no one else recruits them"). To go so low as to criticize 18 year olds who are good enough to get college looks? Pathetic.

Reactions: plydogg

Guys, I'm worried about Mo....18,500 posts...what the hell will he do?

You will be missed, but hard to blame you. The negativity on here is beyond disgusting. Not only criticizing our sweet 16 year ("we should have gone farther"), but talking down nearly all of our recruits "("no one else recruits them"). To go so low as to criticize 18 year olds who are good enough to get college looks? Pathetic.
Over-exxagerate much? What should we assume when we are recruiting kids who have either zero, one or two other offers, that they are destined to lead us to the Final Four?

I feel like I keep repeating myself here, but being critical of a player's abilities on the court is not the same as being critical of him as a person. Stop insinuating that it is. This is a place to discuss the basketball program, and evaluation of players' abilities, real or perceived, is a big part of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT