ADVERTISEMENT

Go Right / Go Wrong

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
We approach what would seem to be a critical season for our program and Mooney. A string of good recruiting classes (by our fans standards), most experienced starting five (mantra for success in college hoops today is "get old". Dynamic PG and likely all time NCAA steals leader. Return of injured shooters in Sherod and Crabtree. New Robins Center, new PQ center, removal of admin restrictions (straight from poster with connection to PQ), All A10 big man in Golden, etc, etc. What needs to go right, and what can go wrong?:

Right
- Burton - great recruit, and to give Mooney credit has shown steady improvement. IF he can take another step forward and be an A10 POY contender, shoot high 30's to 40 from three, and improve his on ball defense could boost us into a season long top 25 fixture
- Shooting - Sherod, Crabtree stay on floor and shoot like they have shown capable already will make us very hard to guard. Need Dji or Zay to be a threat from three at the other guard spot too. Would be great if Cayo can knock them down. 4 shooters on the court (think St. Mary's team that knocked us out of NCAA) at once is very tough. If other defense only has to guard three on perimeter becomes easier to guard. WIth Sheron and Crabtree should be able to put some really potent line ups on the floor from deep.
- Mooney - As much as I bash him, he is young and I have some hope that he can have some self introspection and improve areas that he ignores or never addresses. Also willing to believe that previous admin was a detriment, and with some recruiting restrictions removed he can build on some pretty good recruiting classes. Yes pretty good. I am seeing some other mid majors I follow be better. Mooney has shown improvement - swooping in to land an ACC decommit is not something he would have done in the past. Need to keep this level and start landing a Burton type every two years. Mooney has a great opportunity to turn it around this year. Let's see something new. Finally went to man to man last year. Let's mix in a new defense too that can be effective and break the other teams rhythm. And let's see the Mooney fire that seems to have faded since 2012.
- Unexpected player - By this I mean do we have a player that will show a huge leap unexpectedly. I am expecting guys like Zay, Koureissi, Dji to take a step forward, but if we can get one of those guys to take a big leap, would be a big boost to our season. Could be one of the freshman too, doubt they have the opportunity but could see a guy like Nelson or Noyes ending up playing a critical role if injury bug bites.

Wrong (what could go south and derail what appears a layup NCAA season)
- Mooney - Converse to the above -at times has shown little ability to adjust when things go bad, in game, in season and over the years. If the same ol Mooney shows up, I do think we can make it to the NCAA. I don't hear him say it, but a lot of good coaches will tell you a player lead team is the best team. We have the experience and talent to have that, but usually the coach needs to be able to steer around the icebergs that inevitably pop up every season. If Mooney cannot do so could put the season at risk.
- Injuries - Goes without saying I guess. If you follow other teams in college hoops, you notice that even though we have had our share of injuries, not really uncommon. I will admit our have been pretty critical and hard to work around. Sherod and Crabtree obviously have a track record, so we have to hope against hope that they can stay on the floor. Injury to Gilyard or Golden for any period puts us in a real tough spot too. Have to hope for the best, but despite a 20 man roster, not sure we have replacements ready to make us an NCAA team if one of the key cogs goes down.
- Chemistry - This is least of my concerns probably. I do give credit for Mooney recruiting a roster of what seems to high character, positive, team first players. Would love to see someone step up and be that Gonzo / Kevin Smith type of fire.
- Covid - Let's get the booster, follow protocols, stay safe, and keep fans in the stand and players on the court. Really hope this season is pretty close to normal - if not we saw last year that we were deeply impacted despite our experience that was supposed to be a huge advantage. Didn't work out that way.
- Negative Experience - Though experienced, this team has basically seen the season go south every single time. I think the fact that these guys came back for an extra year shows they want to overcome this and go out on top. But when we hit the bumps in the road, can we keep the negative vibes at bay?

Overall, it's October, and will be focusing on the positives as the season starts. I like that we are not getting the top 15, top 25 pre-season hype. I think this team is a sweet 16 team waiting to happen.

What am I missing above for go right/ go wrong?

I think you hit it on the head.

I actually believe Golden can be the 4th outside threat, which I agree is ideal to have. his form has always been good. he doesn't have to shoot many ... just when left open. I'm fine with Cayo doing what he does, attacking the rim.

we have deeper talent than possibly ever, but even so we can't have injuries to key players.

I also need Gilyard to bounce back to his career shooting percentages. that would have a huge impact.

I am worried that we have too many good players and won't be able to get guys into a good rhythm as a result. That's my main concern at the outset. If everyone can play at a high level when they're in there, we have Elite-8 type of potential.

But I worry that if Crabtree is only getting six minutes a game, for example, he may not be able to just come in and drain a couple threes in that time. That sort of thing. Basketball can be a feel game, and if you're only getting a couple minutes here and a couple there, it's tough to get that feel all the time. We will have a bunch of guys in that situation this year. It's up to Mooney to manage them effectively and then up to them to make the most of the time they get.

Last edited:
Reactions: gospidersgo
I can see that, Eight. that's why I think no matter how deep you are, you really have to narrow it down to about a 9 or 10 man rotation. brutal to do with a 19 man roster though.

as for elite 8 potential, we don't have anywhere near elite 8 defensive potential so I don't see it. but any given night ...

let's get to the dance and see what happens.

Reactions: Zeeter
Yep, I agree that our defense needs work for sure. But we are so talented offensively (again, assuming everyone plays up to his abilities) that in that scenario, we can simply outscore many teams, and adequate defense would get us there. Do I think that's going to happen? No. But that's our about ceiling if everything goes right.

One potential negative is being slow on defense. Sherod, Golden, and Crabtree, (Burton isn't slow but he struggles keeping his man in front of him as well) all of them are really slow footspeed guys that could get exploited by teams with a lot of quickness and players that can take their man off the dribble.

We have the potential to overwhelm a lot of teams offensively, but we all know, we have our off shooting night and I have some worry that our defense will be able to carry the day when those nights happen.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Great points sman. I do think Golden looked good shooting threes. I do think Gilyard found his groove at the end of last year and I am optimistic that carries over.
Re: Gilly: As good as the team is on paper, it needs chemistry and a leader. Gilly is the alpha and he needs to be the alpha this year for this team. I think Francis became the default alpha last year and Francis is a bit of a mercurial player, a great intense player, but not the leader this team needed. Gilly is that leader, he needs to exert that leadership in both his play and his on court leadership of this team.

So, that is my question. Is Gilly going to be the unquestioned leader of this team or is he going to try and share that mantle with say Grant? I think we tried that approach last year with Francis and saw the result. Gilly be the alpha.

More good points. As I am inclined to call out folks for not emphasizing the defensive side of the court, I did the same. That may be the largest concern, especially in games vs top tier teams. Need to be able to balance having shooters on the court vs having guys that can defend and keep their man in front. Blake was a good on ball defender, which we lose. We do have guys that can defend I believe in Zay, Dji and Goose if healthy. Question is can we score the same with those guys in the game.

I'm not worried too much about EL's concern around too many guys getting minutes and no flow. I do think Mooney will continue with having a very set rotation. He will probably have to juggle a few guys discontented with minutes, but again I think we have a lot of smart, team first guys so we will see.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Blake was a good defender but very small at the 2 and easy to shoot over. we get longer there. hopefully 3 point percentage against us decreases.

I'd like our PG to be the leader but I think it's more natural for Grant. adding weapons like Sherod and Crabtree, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacob shoot less. I'll bet he average over 6 apg for the first time in his career.

Last edited:
I can see that, Eight. that's why I think no matter how deep you are, you really have to narrow it down to about a 9 or 10 man rotation. brutal to do with a 19 man roster though.
8-10 rotation seems possible, and I suppose one method is to mix in who the 8/9/10th guys are each week. If guys are playing well in practice that week they’re first off bench for that game and get the sub minutes, so they can hopefully develop the in game rhythm mentioned before.

Regardless I’ll just be glad to have something to go to a couple times a week for a few months. I’ve been missing tepid hot dogs and stale nachos.

One more thing that I believe may go in the "go right" column is the new assistant coaches. Don't know too much about Joseph, but excited for what he can bring. Hovde I have penciled to be the most successful future D1 head coach. Think it is good to get some new blood and perspective on the staff.
I've consistently ragged on Mooney for his extreme reluctance to go outside his underlings and bring in some diverse/new perspectives. I really really like that he went out and got a former D-1 head coach in Joseph. I think that is huge add and also think Hovde, although fitting in the above mentioned wheelhouse of who Mooney likes to employ also is very sharp and comes back to us having been exposed to other things other than what Mooney does.

I am excited about Joseph. Even though he wasn't a great head coach, he was thrown into a terrible situation. Everyone raved about him as an assistant and said he was an up-and-comer, so he should be a good addition.

Last edited:
Good stuff, yes I may be sleeping on Joseph a bit, forgot that he was a head coach. I think that is huge and gives you a multiplier on experience. As someone, maybe 97 pointed out, actually knows how to use social media 😀. I think both are good additions and Hovde has been at successful programs at Columbia and San Fran.

Welp, other than last year the Don's were pretty darn good while Hovde was there, no energy to do the looking but think had a coach he coached with move on to a major conference gig? It better than our promoting coaches from within that have 0 experience coaching elsewhere. Maybe he will be a mooney yes man, who knows. I just get the sense that he is motivated to move up and that translates into doing everything he can to make us successful now and while he is here.

Welp, other than last year the Don's were pretty darn good while Hovde was there, no energy to do the looking but think had a coach he coached with move on to a major conference gig? It better than our promoting coaches from within that have 0 experience coaching elsewhere. Maybe he will be a mooney yes man, who knows. I just get the sense that he is motivated to move up and that translates into doing everything he can to make us successful now and while he is here.
I certainly hope you’re right

Well if it’s not valid its full of very specific detail and reporting on an otherwise non-noteworthy topic.

That said, I hardly worry about it.

Hope the focus off season has been on defense. If we can get back to where we were the first year we switched from match up to man to man, with the offensive weapons we have, Spiders will be a challenge for most any team.

Reactions: plydogg
I don't think most coaches worry about scrimmage scores very much. They're a time to test out things against a live opponent...different lineup combinations, sometimes work through specific game scenarios, work on set plays, etc.

It would be concerning if we got our doors blown off during a scrimmage. That doesn’t sound like what happened. I care about not letting that happen in actual games, so get it out of the way now.

FYI...the clock is restarted every qtr. and what SF said. Didn't attend but the starters were who we thought they would be. Don't like the fact we had 21 TOs with tons of experience on the floor, but it was our first live opponent.

Reactions: plydogg
the entire reason these scrimmages are closed door is so coaches can work on things and see kids without needing to win for the fan base. kind of defeats the purpose to have someone leaking scores. might as well open the doors then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT