ADVERTISEMENT

Go Right / Go Wrong

Not sweating a scrimmage performance. If ever there was a team we should not be sweating be ready come our first game, it is this team.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Better to get the scare of a potential loss out of the way in a scrimmage versus say a regular season game. Good opportunity to teach.

Reactions: urfan1
I think I was more concerned because I thought JMU was #325 not #125. If that was the case, we should have done better than we did and was worried I was seeing a crack in the armor.

As thing are...carry on...

And I will return to my expectation of no losses in the next 12 months, the same one I had last week...

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
Offensively, yeah, a lot of experienced weapons.

I do not see any reason to expect this to be a good defensive team.

Golden = Terrific scorer. But, career slow feet, out of position a lot, and sometimes just doesn't get after it on defense. Sherod = above average shooter, scorer who can go off, but never in career been known as a good defender. Gilyard = scorer, outstanding at making steals, but, career, he often isn't guarding his man (or area) because he is always looking for the theft or deflection. Burton = exceptional athleticism, can score, can rebound. Career defense thus far, lungs, leaps, and goes for the block a lot. Offensive players get by him regularly. Cayo = can score, can rebound. Athletic ability helps him to be average to a little better than average career college level defender.

If one were to profess that better defenders will be coming off the bench (except for Grace), I wouldn't disagree. But to look for the majority minute players to be good defensively as a team, seems to me far more "hopeful" than "realistic." I predict that the probability is low.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Don't like the fact we had 21 TOs with tons of experience on the floor, but it was our first live opponent.
Good grief. That is an extreme number, which I guess makes you thankful the team has scrimmages. Definitely no need to panic, but at least a little surprising.

Offensively, yeah, a lot of experienced weapons.

I do not see any reason to expect this to be a good defensive team.

Golden = Terrific scorer. But, career slow feet, out of position a lot, and sometimes just doesn't get after it on defense. Sherod = above average shooter, scorer who can go off, but never in career been known as a good defender. Gilyard = scorer, outstanding at making steals, but, career, he often isn't guarding his man (or area) because he is always looking for the theft or deflection. Burton = exceptional athleticism, can score, can rebound. Career defense thus far, lungs, leaps, and goes for the block a lot. Offensive players get by him regularly. Cayo = can score, can rebound. Athletic ability helps him to be average to a little better than average career college level defender.

If one were to profess that better defenders will be coming off the bench (except for Grace), I wouldn't disagree. But to look for the majority minute players to be good defensively as a team, seems to me far more "hopeful" than "realistic." I predict that the probability is low.
Homer, some things many of us have been discussing on some other threads awhile back, and all valid points. Many of us were quite happy when we finally scrapped the "vaunted :)" amoeba match up zone, that the rest of the A10 figured out about 8 years ago - and went mostly to man to man. But, per the reasons you cited above, we do need the ability to mix in a zone that we are adept at. We can't line up with that line up and play 40 minutes of straight zone. I do think we will also see quite a few minutes with better defensive players in - Zay and Dji. Again, any area of concern in essentially Mooney needing to figure out offense vs defense and personell.

Curious to know minutes distribution?

Reactions: 97spiderfan
I don' think this year that injuries can be a WRONG category.

While I think injuries are just part of the game and can happen to anyone and any team, with this year so many guys returning and the roster inflated for UR because of COVID extra year - I think we should be structured to handle the injuries when they come. I am not saying if a guy like Burton or Gilyard gets hurt you should be able to easily replace them. Just saying we should be able to find someone on the roster to fill the spot, keep the team moving, and the other more experienced guys collectively need to step up.
I think with guys coming back for an extra year and having the extra group of frosh - injuries should be easier to overcome.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT