ADVERTISEMENT

Player Analysis - Neal Quinn

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Positives

As they say, you can't teach size. Legit 7 footer.
"Love of the Game Quotient" - I think this guy has it. Very hard to judge or know for sure, but we see him go to play for Ireland this summer. We see his joy on the court when he makes a big play. And his pain when he has a bad stretch. I get the feeling he really loves to play and is doing all he can to have a very good senior year.
Has some good moves. When he makes that quick spin move and attacks the basket, you ask "why can't he do that every time"?
Works to get position and uses his size down low.
Passing - Sees the game well, and keeps his head up when working down low. Sometimes I think he passes out too early, but is a good and willing passer.

Areas of Improvement

Athleticism - Though I don't think it is bad, it does seem like he can be a step slow. But you see that quick spin move so you know he has some. I think a key is for him to just keep weight off - which he did look to play slimmer last year than at Lafayette. He has enough natural size and mass.
Finishing - I know this was a common complaint on this board last year. Many a time made a beautiful move, but the ball didn't go in. Hopefully a lot of that goes away this year with another year of familiarity, getting used to the A10, and heck maybe just some better luck at times. Anyway, finish 3 more bunnies a game and that is 16 ppg instead of 10.
Durability - Seems like he has had a healthy off season - remember last season he had a broken bone in the foot (I think?) and had to sit out this time of year. If he can keep healthy this year, and keep conditioning up - would like to see closer to 30 minutes a game. Unless Walz has improved enough to take some b/c he is too good to sit.
Free Throws - Let's get that up to ~ 75%

Next Season
As we have been talking about with the entire team, we need a lot of things to go right, and a lot of organic improvement to occur in order to have an NCAA type of season. I do think Quinn has some pretty nice upside potential. A year in they system, a year in a higher league under his belt. Healthy off season and international competition. Improve those finishing shots inside. I am pulling for a big season and see those yells and smiles on the court. I do think this guy has that love of the game, and that gives me hope that he can pull through on the upside.

I think a key is for him to just keep weight off - which he did look to play slimmer last year than at Lafayette. He has enough natural size and mass.
That was my feeling as well, so I was surprised to see him listed at 260 on this year’s roster, up 10 from last year.

Excellent as always, 23. Finishing at the basket will be the key for him. If he can be more consistent finishing, that could lead to some double teams, which would make things a lot easier on everyone else. Maybe drawing more fouls too, which could put some opponents in foul trouble. I will be more than happy with about 70% at the line if he can do the other things mentioned. Also, defensively, we need him to be a factor down low, block some shots, alter some shots, and hopefully stay out of foul trouble. When our PG and big play well, we usually have a good game, so, with King on board, there is reason for optimism here.

23, thanks for all of these write ups on the players. They have all been outstanding, and I really appreciate you taking the time to do them.

Neal's 2P% was last year was 56.0%. that's fine. big guys miss inside sometimes.
Grant's career 2P% at Richmond was 56.3%.
TJ's was higher at 61.9% ... but TJ was just a better offensive basketball player.

hope I'm wrong but I don't expect much improvement. love his attitude and passion. such a likeable Spider. but he's never going to become a superior run/jump athlete. he'll be a good solid center again. hopefully he plays a few more minutes which increases his averages, but not his averages per 40 much. I think more than anyone this year, we know what to expect from Neal.

Very good write up. Agree on most of the points, especially that for this team to make any real noise, he has to be consistently in the 14 ppg+ area and on the court a bunch affecting the game on both ends. Shots at the rim and FTs can make up a decent amount of that offensive production. Decisiveness in the post was also a common refrain - you touch on it with the post-passing comment. I want more consistent aggression from him, not waiting to let the coverage catch up or double down before passing back out late in the shot clock.

sman - I somewhat disagree with your comparison with Grant bc Grant shot a lot of mid-range jumpers and was able to hit a ton, and then even moved out to the 3 point line with mixed success his senior year. Grant was pretty great finishing down low from position. If I had to guess I'd guess Neal's lower FG % were mostly on closer in shots than Grant (or TJ)? If so, it goes back to his finishing in close, because that % needs to be higher for a 7 footer and pull up his overall %. I feel like we may have analyzed these numbers at the end of the season already though, so I may be incorrect here.

He's a key piece this year. Like other key pieces (Roche, Bigelow), flashes were there but it needs to be consistent.

Reactions: spiderman
I think if we are going to be good at all this year, the two guys on the roster that need to have monster years are King and Quinn. We really need both of them to be difference makers out there on a nightly basis because the rest of the roster is either unproven OR seems to more in the mode of role or complimentary player.

I think Neil showed flashes last year that he can be a dominant player and I think those flashes got more frequent as the season progressed.

Reactions: urfan1
I would add, I believe Quinn likely gained a ton of experience this summer on the Irish team.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
My wish for Quinn was more upper body strength for he was not strong with the ball at times
and second quicker lateral movement

Last edited:
I would add, I believe Quinn likely gained a ton of experience this summer on the Irish team.
I love this experience. Think all the training and skill work in the offseason is great too. But applying that in a real competitive environment with the stands packed has to help. Wish the team could have had an overseas trip. I seem to recall sdad saying it was being looked at or planned, but obviously fell through.

I love this experience. Think all the training and skill work in the offseason is great too. But applying that in a real competitive environment with the stands packed has to help. Wish the team could have had an overseas trip. I seem to recall sdad saying it was being looked at or planned, but obviously fell through.
I totally agree 23, that would’ve been great, hopefully they all are having a successful summer season and will bring energy and excitement this season!

Reactions: spider23
For college basketball players, like the Wooden Bat league for college baseball, is there any Summer Leagues they can play in against like competition or basically most are tied up with their own college Summer practice.

They have them, but definitely are de-emphasized from what I can tell. I know in San Diego they have the Swish League. Drew League pro/am in LA. Hartford CT pro/am still going, not sure if Uconn players still participate. Used to be one in North Carolina that the Duke, UNC, and HBCU players played in, and there was mention of some runs in Richmond on this board.

I think the combination of NCAA rule changes to allow organized workouts, fear of injury, and other factors they are nowhere near as relevant as 10' or 15 years ago. I think they would be great if maybe were a little more organized, but the one's I have followed (Swish and Hartford) seem to have questionable attendance, and some of that appears to be clashes with school workout schedules.

I remember years ago in Richmond I would see evening pickup games at Pine Camp outdoor courts with John Kuester, the Dark brothers, Gerald Henderson, Allen Bristow
and maybe a good HS player or two. It was lot of fun to watch and knew there were pickup games at some of the colleges with VCU, UR, Va Union, RMC players.

I remember years ago in Richmond I would see evening pickup games at Pine Camp outdoor courts with John Kuester, the Dark brothers, Gerald Henderson, Allen Bristow
and maybe a good HS player or two. It was lot of fun to watch and knew there were pickup games at some of the colleges with VCU, UR, Va Union, RMC players.
Same here CS, I didn’t live far from Pine Camp.

I think Quinn needs to improve his stamina. As mentioned by others - we need him and King to be dominate for us. Quinn showed flashes, but just had a hard time putting together or staying on the floor for long stretches. We need him at 28 minutes a game or more - which would be right where Golden was. He also needs to develop an outside shot - whether its mid-range or out to three point land. He doesn't need to be our best shooter - Golden was not that. But Golden hovered around 30% - which is just enough where teams must respect you. I think Golden sometimes shot too many long range shots, but I don't have that fear with Quinn. But if he could attempt 60 threes this year (about 2 a game) and make 20 - that would be helpful. Otherwise - I fear he sits on the block and or his defender sags off and blocks the lane for cutters and drivers - like King.

I expect Quinn to lead the team in rebounds, blocks and assists. He will probably only be 2nd for points though.

I expect Quinn to lead the team in rebounds, blocks and assists. He will probably only be 2nd for points though.
I expect Quinn to lead in Blocks, but thats about it. I think Bigelow leads in Rebounds (Quinn 2nd), King in Points (Quinn 2nd), and King in assists (Quinn 2nd). But as you can see - Quinn is huge piece this year.

I know guys can improve skills year to year, but Neal's in his 5th year of college ball and he's made 4 threes in 107 games played. that's not his game. let's use him where he's best.
Agree. He would not make enough 3s to be a huge factor anyway. Even if he somehow made 20 of 60 (he won't), that is less than 1 a game, and as a defense, why would I want to change my defense and bring Neal's guy away from the basket just because Neal might make one 3 against me? I think Trap mentioned Grant at 30% from 3 and how that was just enough for teams to respect that, but did they? I remember all of Grant's 3s being wide open because his guy stayed down low. This does not help our offense at all if our big is at 30% or lower from 3. All it really does is keep a big on defense down low, and allows his to focus on our other guys who might be driving to the basket.

Neal needs to stay down low, improve his finishes at the rim, and be enough of a scorer and factor doing that, that it causes some double teams, which would make everything better for our offense. I realize Neal still had a good 2 point % last year, but he was rarely doubled, and did miss a lot of easy ones at the rim.

I know guys can improve skills year to year, but Neal's in his 5th year of college ball and he's made 4 threes in 107 games played. that's not his game. let's use him where he's best.
I don't want my 7 footer hanging around the 3 point line. Embiid is a great big man who makes and takes a lot of 3's and even with a player like Embiid, I always feel even when he makes it, that their is always a much easier basket for him to make. I realize they have to be out there for spacing purposes at times, but when you have a good big man, put him in position to really maximize that tremendous advantage he has with his height as much as possible. For Quinn that is even more important because as noted, he is not a good 3 point shooter and that is not his game.

Quinn is a good passer and our offense is largely predicated on having a guy like that. So he will need to move to different spots (including outside) to facilitate that where he can see everything and hit cutters. He can't just camp out down low.

But yes, I agree he shouldn't be taking many threes.

I know it is a matter of semantics, but I think Neal does better 6-12 feet from the basket than 3-6 feet from the basket when he gets the ball. That seems to allow him to start a move before getting in traffic.

If that is not his game - then we recruited the wrong guy. When have we had success having a big guy, who I think everyone will agree - is very important in the Mooney offense - either on the low block, at the high post, or setting ball screens for a good enough PG.

Geriot - 37% career shooter, only made about 1 per game.
Darrius Garrett - non-shooter, 15%
ANO/Derrick Williams - Non-Shooter - D Williams made 15 back to back years.

Could go on and on - but our best teams at UR under Mooney so far have been with Geriot, Cline, and Golden. Maybe its just a coincidence those guys could shoot. But in years where we had big guy(s) that couldn't shoot - we struggled.

Reactions: urfan1 and ur2K
agreed, Trap. we know the ideal big guy for our offense. we just have a hard time landing him. everybody wants a big man with passing, shooting, and low post skills. I thought Matt Reed was the next one that fit the bill. now I'm hoping it's Soulis ... if he can shoot well enough.

agreed, Trap. we know the ideal big guy for our offense. we just have a hard time landing him. everybody wants a big man with passing, shooting, and low post skills. I thought Matt Reed was the next one that fit the bill. now I'm hoping it's Soulis ... if he can shoot well enough.
I’m not sure we are going to have a junior & senior year Cline each season…

While Golden & Gilyard were interesting. Cline & Gilyard would have been interesting to see too.

If that is not his game - then we recruited the wrong guy. When have we had success having a big guy, who I think everyone will agree - is very important in the Mooney offense - either on the low block, at the high post, or setting ball screens for a good enough PG.

Geriot - 37% career shooter, only made about 1 per game.
Darrius Garrett - non-shooter, 15%
ANO/Derrick Williams - Non-Shooter - D Williams made 15 back to back years.

Could go on and on - but our best teams at UR under Mooney so far have been with Geriot, Cline, and Golden. Maybe its just a coincidence those guys could shoot. But in years where we had big guy(s) that couldn't shoot - we struggled.
We won 24 games in 2020, and Grant went 5-19 (26.3%) from 3. We won 24 games in 2022 and Grant went 23-82 (28%) from 3. We certainly did not win all of these games because Grant could shoot 3s.

We won 24 games in 2020, and Grant went 5-19 (26.3%) from 3. We won 24 games in 2022 and Grant went 23-82 (28%) from 3. We certainly did not win all of these games because Grant could shoot 3s.
true, if the pieces around our big are good enough we can be great whether he shoots or not. but better if he shoots well.
and we just don't know if the pieces this year are comparable to 2020 and 2022.

And, not only that, but a big who can pass, shoot, and have low post skills, and not be at a high major somewhere. That is one heck of a big you are describing, and I'm not sure Reed has a lot of low post skills.

true, if the pieces around our big are good enough we can be great whether he shoots or not. but better if he shoots well.
and we just don't know if the pieces this year are comparable to 2020 and 2022.
Well, of course better if he shoots it well, but that is the case for every team and every player. I always hope all my guys can shoot the 3, but I think we agree we don't want or need Quinn shooting a bunch of 3s. He is 7 feet tall, and has no history of outside shooting.

Shooting is my biggest concern with this team this year. We already know or assume Quinn can't shoot it. Bigelow was disappointing last year at 27%. I believe he is a better shooter than he showed, but even then - to go from 27% to even 35% is a big jump. King is overall 37% so far in his college career - but does that fall, like Roche did when he joined the A10?

Like it or not - Mooney's system is built on shooting. Basketball in general is built on shooting the 3. Gone are the days where you can pound it down low or rely on guys to just beat their man off the dribble and get two pointers. Cause while your doing that - your opponent is making 3 pointers and your falling behind.

And to think Mooney, whether you like him or hate him, all of sudden will change overnight to accommodate the possible lack of shooting on this team - I just don't see it.

Well, of course better if he shoots it well, but that is the case for every team and every player. I always hope all my guys can shoot the 3, but I think we agree we don't want or need Quinn shooting a bunch of 3s. He is 7 feet tall, and has no history of outside shooting.
agreed, but Mooney's offense has the big at the 3 point line up top an awful lot. it would really help if that guy is a shooting threat. Quinn's not that guy though. we'll still have him out there ... eventually getting him into his spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT