ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Becht - Southern NH Transfer - Visit ~4/13

as well as our offense works, it doesn't allow Roche the freedom to work for open shots like I remember from his Citadel highlights. maybe it would work more with inside/out sets. we may or may not do more of that with Walz/Beagle. I'm not betting on it though.

as for being a "liability", I've never felt that. I think he plays pretty good defense with high effort.
Definitely not a liability. And, 2 years ago, he was 3.6-9.4 from 3 per 40 minutes for us, and the year before at The Citadel he was 3.9-9.9 from 3 per 40 minutes. So, this talk about he got way more shots and looks when in there at The Citadel than here is just not accurate.

Reactions: spiderman
I agree in one regard and disagree in another.

Agree that he needs to utilize the dribble more effectively.
Disagree on dribble-drive.

I think he needs to be able to use the dribble to get more open on 3s. Pump-fake, one dribble to the side, drill a 3. Curl around a screen, fake a 3 and dribble into space for his 3PA. That kind of thing.

The guy from Oakland is my model for optimal use of Roche. That guy never took any 2s and shot an extremely high volume of 3s, from a variety of looks. It was immensely effective because he got a wide variety of looks and they knew what he wanted to do and still had issues stopping it. And it really widens the court when you have a guy who has that kind of gravity to draw his own and help defenders to him at the 3 point line and beyond.

Any 2s Roche takes should be layups off back cuts. I want zero part of any 12-18 foot jumpers, except in emergency situations.
A fair clarification and I agree.

and yet of the 20 targets we have left, 3 took 15 or fewer 3's and 6 others had 3 point shooting percentages in the 20's.
I'm pretty confident we have contacted more guys than you think, and does your post above mean 11 of the 20 were good from 3? And, don't forget Harris became a key piece last year and Bigs was in the 20s 2 years ago.

Harris was a perfect role player last year, bought into whatever was asked of him, which was defense, rebounding and corner 3s. Hopefully there are guys like that each year, but who knows what kind of role any kid is looking for as a transfer. I'm fairly confident that our staff is laying out that kind of situation for transfers who aren't expected to be starters, like Harris. You obviously can't promise 5 returnees and multiple transfers that they'll all start and be 25-30 mpg guys but can promise them a shot at proving they belong in the rotation of a team expecting to win in the A10.

I expect most of the role player guys are guys like Harris, one year transfers looking to move up for a final year. Finding the glue guy who can easily translate his lower level stats - even if modest numbers - is an interesting aspect of the portal.

Also, i agree it's not Roche's shooting numbers that worry me at all, it's his opportunity. If he's healthy this coming year, they just have to let him shoot away, we need scoring badly.

I'm pretty confident we have contacted more guys than you think, and does your post above mean 11 of the 20 were good from 3? And, don't forget Harris became a key piece last year and Bigs was in the 20s 2 years ago.
I'm going off MD's google sheet, which is all we have.
currently 66 guys we know we reached out to. I'm sure there are a few others.
of the 66, we landed Beagle. 45 committed elsewhere. 20 remain uncommitted.

11 of those 20 we're fine from 3.
Becht was by far the best at 44.8% ... with the caveat that it was in D2.
the other 10 range from 32.3% to 37.4%.

Reactions: urfan1
I'm going off MD's google sheet, which is all we have.
currently 66 guys we know we reached out to. I'm sure there are a few others.
of the 66, we landed Beagle. 45 committed elsewhere. 20 remain uncommitted.

11 of those 20 we're fine from 3.
Becht was by far the best at 44.8% ... with the caveat that it was in D2.
the other 10 range from 32.3% to 37.4%.
I know for a fact that we are in touch with players and have had more visits than the google sheet would suggest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT