ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney extension and/or raise

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
I think it is safe to assume Mooney and staff will receive an extension after their NCAA run and first round upset. Possibly even a raise. I know a lot of fans, myself included, did not think this would happen heading into the A10 tourney - but now that the dust has settled and Richmond made the NCAA run - I am curious to see what people would like to see in terms of extension and money involved.

Right now - Mooney is under contract for next 2 years, until the end of the 23-24 season. And although not publicly posted, I believe it is safe to assume he pulls down $1.1 million per year. So what do you think will be added on to that in the coming weeks when a deal is worked out.

My guess - add 4 more years onto current deal, taking contract out to 27-28 season. And I would see a raise to the $1.4 range, with raises for all staff/assistants as well.

in reality he’ll probably get a 4 year extension, and I could live with that. There’s no pressure to get a deal done here so they shouldn’t tack on a bunch of years for fear of losing Mooney. No one has asked about him and we shouldn’t worry about it.

He was making around $1.25m before the 2020 extension.

2 year extension at 1.4mil with a $1,000,000 buyout option after each season.

I think it is safe to assume Mooney and staff will receive an extension after their NCAA run and first round upset. Possibly even a raise. I know a lot of fans, myself included, did not think this would happen heading into the A10 tourney - but now that the dust has settled and Richmond made the NCAA run - I am curious to see what people would like to see in terms of extension and money involved.

Right now - Mooney is under contract for next 2 years, until the end of the 23-24 season. And although not publicly posted, I believe it is safe to assume he pulls down $1.1 million per year. So what do you think will be added on to that in the coming weeks when a deal is worked out.

My guess - add 4 more years onto current deal, taking contract out to 27-28 season. And I would see a raise to the $1.4 range, with raises for all staff/assistants as well.
Are you his agent? He'd better have some great pics of Hardt in compromising positions for 4 year extension with that type of raise. Geez. Does Mooney have any other suitors? No, he does not. Although, I'm sure his agent will try to fluff up some story that he does in the coming weeks. Don't buy it. We still hold all of the leverage here. If Mooney thinks he can get better elsewhere, call his bluff.

Trap it is public if you want to go look at the 990. Those are just a year or two behind and I still find ridiculous that U of R doesn't announce term & compensation for their highest paid/highest profile employees for a billion dollar operation.

No reason to go past a two year extension again. We'd just be negotiating against ourselves which is dumb and 4 years is plenty security and/or for recruiting purposes. If Moon overachieves next year u can always do another small extension. You cant convince me u r getting a recruit easier at 5 years vs. 3. Anything 3 or more is probably the same difference if they're even that tuned into those details.

Yes put in buyouts. I don't care what he makes. We should pay very competitively we always have. make as much as he can, but the biggest issue is just having the flexibility to move on from a contract when needed, which we can't when u make it too long initially. Hopefully we've learned something but idk.

We should pay what the market will bear, and not a nickel more. Since apparently no other team has the slightest interest in our coach , we should offer $500k/yr for a 4 year extension. Throw in a generous bonus for each year he makes the NCAA. That way, if we have to wait another 11 years, at least the athletic department is saving close to $1m/year each year he misses the Dance.
Make no mistake…..he would take it. What choice would he have?
And if it seems unfair, it’s not. Especially when you consider that Mckillop probably makes less and has been vastly more successful playing in a dumpy gym with no fancy practice facility.

I would offer a 2-year extension at the same level but with incentives for the things we achieved this year (winning the league, making the tourney, winning a game). And a $300,000 buyout.

Archie Miler break down.
Almost $2M per year, of which $400k per year is "salary".

Mixed emotions here. If Mooney should have been fired before they won the A-10, the way I see it he is lucky to still have the job. We should give him a couple years to rebuild, but really, we should be striving to be a team (like many) that reloads every year, not rebuilds every 4 years. I can't help but wonder what this season would have been like if we hadn't gotten an extra year for covid.

I'm not onboard with giving him a raise, but I am all about giving incentives for future successes.

Archie Miler break down.
Almost $2M per year, of which $400k per year is "salary".
A lot of public schools do it this way. The 400K is the salary that comes from the general budget, just as it would to pay any other employee at the school. The rest is "private" money that comes from donations tied directly to the department - in this case, athletics and basketball.

I like the little bonuses added in. He gets $1000 a month for a car (pretty nice car payment right there). And he also gets $8,000 a year towards a country club or beach club.

Based upon the logic, it seems that many feel that Mooney gets rewarded for making the NCAA tournament this year (final result).

If the decision is to give him extra money and and extension for a highly improbable trip to the big dance this year, how much should be deducted for the years of mediocrity when his teams didn't achieve the final result?

As others have already observed, Mooney has zero leverage. He has no offers, and he doesn't want to leave. Any increase for him should be incentive based.

Reactions: bullfrog91
Homer, you're negotiating like a guy who doesn't want Mooney here in the first place.

if Hardt doesn't want him then he shouldn't extend at all. an AD shouldn't do something he doesn't believe in just because he feels he has to based on this year.

but if Hardt does believe in Mooney going forward, then he gives him a deal that shows it.

Homer, you're negotiating like a guy who doesn't want Mooney here in the first place.

if Hardt doesn't want him then he shouldn't extend at all. an AD shouldn't do something he doesn't believe in just because he feels he has to based on this year.

but if Hardt does believe in Mooney going forward, then he gives him a deal that shows it.
Well, that goes back to whether or not Mooney was going to be let go before the run. If Hardt was ready to move on, than well than it is a bit awkward and would lend credence to an incentive laden extension.

I would love like a 850K base salary and then 50K for every VCU win, 50K for every BCS win, 50K for every A-10 tourney win, 150K for an A-10 championship, 250K for an NCAA tournament bid. That would give him a nice raise but it would depend upon how his teams perform. And if the team sucks, you just sock that money away for the buyout.

And again, the man has no other options. He said he wants to stay here, no one else wants him, why pay him extra when you don't have to and then tie your hands down the road when and if he falls back into his familiar pattern.

I have to think Hardt looks at the full picture of Mooney's tenure and just is not operating off what he did over the past 2 weeks.

After 11 gap years & finally making the t
Mixed emotions here. If Mooney should have been fired before they won the A-10, the way I see it he is lucky to still have the job. We should give him a couple years to rebuild, but really, we should be striving to be a team (like many) that reloads every year, not rebuilds every 4 years. I can't help but wonder what this season would have been like if we hadn't gotten an extra year for covid.

I'm not onboard with giving him a raise, but I am all about giving incentives for future successes.
Stated perfectly, Rick. I couldn't agree more.

I'd load up on incentives because as others have said, we doubt other schools are going to come calling. Show us differently. It should take a lot more than one year to negate the last 11 to open the spiqots for extensions and raises. He was rewarded wonderfully for the last 11 years. Let him prove that this year is not an aberration or an anomaly. We've been down the road enough with the discussion of recruiting and stability of coaching staff. It's time to show that we can be a regular NCAA participant every 3 or 4 years; not 1 in 11. Show us differently. If that occurs, then the spigots can be opened and justified.

For what? A raise and extension for how you should have been performing or exceeding the last 11 years?
I was good with CM his first years up until the second half of the Kansas game when the scales fell of my eyes and I realized he was riding KA and not making any adjustment help. I loved watching the improvement the first year. I will always remember the seton hall victory. We played slow and deliberate and built a lead, controlled the tempo. SH suddenly realized they were in a fix and went into panic mood (you could see panic In the players faces) trying th play hurry up the tempo and they just threw the ball away. I was at the thugging at the corner. The O was surgical, I loved it and then KA was pummeled crossing the paint- no whistle. The coach changed his O to uptempo a bit but NEVER changed the D to fit the personnel leaving KA at times under the basket guarding a center. ( And remind me, what’s a rebound? Oh yea a free ball)
He never adjusted his game to the players strengths. The year before. Fore left he had four really quick and good guards including Fore, maybe with Cedric and Shandre and KA. He could have platooned two by two and had them press the whole game. They were quick and fast, but no.
Yes I stopped my season tickets in maybe 2012-2013. I haven’t been back because nothing changed. I was sad but have no feeling now. The final run and NCAA resurrected the good feelings of long ago. But the title of this thread is making me think that I may never be back and free hotdogs and $5.00 tickets are not incentives.

Also another reason a school will give a large contract is too prevent another school from easily grabbing him. Especially if think could lose him in a year or so. If there is too large a buyout etc. said coach may be less attractive on open market and in order secure that buyout (on the coach side if he departs) you usually have to to give up something like term or annual comp. That's not in play here at all because Mooney is just not in demand.

And to me the whole recruiting angle is inflated greatly, primarily by coaches and agents. Now I fully expect he'll get extension, esp now at 2 years remaining, but I just hope we take analytical "sober" approach to entire tenure. We are exhibit A of what can go wrong with too long a contract, tho there are many others.

Don't get mixed up in elation of last 10 days. believe me I enjoyed it more than anyone up in the Buff. Tho Bill Dooley was maybe right there too. great guy. true spider. Thurs will always be a day to remember but have to put to the side when it's business.

If they consider an extension then two years max. I don’t think a raise is in order because this still was a team that finished sixth in conference after being picked second in the preseason and then had an 11th hour breakthrough. Plus, everyone knows it is back to rebuilding mode and it isn’t like Mooney has a low end salary either. He still is in the top 4 range in the A10 for compensation. This year he earned the money he is being paid. If the contract doesn’t already have incentives for A10 championships and NCAA bids and wins then those should be added; however, one would have to figure they are already there and maybe you bump them up a little.

I agree with others that there should be no hurry as most of the coaching shuffling has already occurred. I don’t think any school is coming for Mooney. However, I am sure his agent will be trying to sell something else.

Based on the EADA (Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act) report, it sure looks like Mooney’s contract is similar to the linked article on Miller’s Rhode Island contract. The salaries section in the report totals to $1,735,496 for all Men’s Teams. For the 7 head coaches, it states that the average institutional salary is $247,948. The expenses and revenue for Men’s basketball balance perfectly at $4,201,481. No further detail is given, but if reports are correct then 25% of the expenses are tied to Mooney’s contract one way or the other. I would guess if they really wanted to bump Mooney’s salary they would need to either raise ticket prices or raise more funds from donors. So all of you who support a raise should be ready to open the wallets.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Ford makes $2.5 million

Rhoades is around $1.8 million

Grant is around $1.6 million.

Archie is at a bargain rate of $1.4 million for the next two years because Indiana is paying him an additional $2 million per year. He jumps to $1.9 million after that.

Not sure if Mooney got a raise with that 2020 extension, but he may not be top 4 in the conference.

Ford makes $2.5 million

Rhoades is around $1.8 million

Grant is around $1.6 million.

Archie is at a bargain rate of $1.4 million for the next two years because Indiana is paying him an additional $2 million per year. He jumps to $1.9 million after that.

Not sure if Mooney got a raise with that 2020 extension, but he may not be top 4 in the conference.
Ok, I almost put top 5 as I knew Miller just got his deal. In any case, prove he can consistently beat those teams in the next couple years and then UR can pay him like those coaches.

Ok, I almost put top 5 as I knew Miller just got his deal. In any case, prove he can consistently beat those teams in the next couple years and then UR can pay him like those coaches.
This will be the leverage his agent uses. It likes the employee who has worked at the company for 17 years, but then a new hire comes in and is hired at more than you make. That would be the card I would play as Mooney's agent. And we all know UR has the money.

I am not advocating a 10 year deal, and incentives are nice and all, but I think it will be seen as very disrespectful if you go to the all time winningest coach coming off a magical NCAA run and say - we are extending you 2 years, no raise, but a lot of incentives. Cause we all know - we are probably not sniffing the NCAA for at least another 2 years with our current roster situation.

It will be interesting to see how it works out. The big elephant in the room is still - how do you count the COVID year where the tourney got cancelled. You didn't need to give a raise or anything after that cause COVID stopped all spending. But now that is over - so do you count that - and pay Mooney for success the last 3 years (2 NCAA tourney and 1 NIT) or do you look at last 3 years as failure (NO NCAA, NIT, and then have to win A10 to make NCAA). I think the administration will take option 1, and reward for success.

and pay Mooney for success the last 3 years (2 NCAA tourney and 1 NIT)
This may be a discussion in the "Hang 2 NCAA Banners" thread, but if covid did not occur, and we did win a couple games and made the NCAA's in 2020 - these seniors would have already been gone? Does not seem logical to give moon credit for both, if the first occurred - the second could not have? Anywhoo, I'm sure Hardt, Queally, and this admin will give Mooney something in the Rhoades category.

This run just reset the clock in the mind of our admin, who was already fully onboard with him as our coach. Just accept it and move on. I assume he'll get some guarantee for the next 5-ish years and we'll see where things are after this cycle of players (Nelson and others) gets their time with the program.

This run just reset the clock in the mind of our admin, who was already fully onboard with him as our coach. Just accept it and move on. I assume he'll get some guarantee for the next 5-ish years and we'll see where things are after this cycle of players (Nelson and others) gets their time with the program.
This is my assumption as well, we will re-evaluate in 4-5 years.

And we all know UR has the money.
I think the more accurate statement is Queally has the money. UR isn’t going to use endowment money to pay a Men’s basketball coach unless there is a specific donation that says that is what it is to be used for. If a big raise is in order then UR is coming to the donors or raising funds via fees to season ticket holders. I can only speak for myself but as a season ticket holder I am not going to pay significantly more to “retain” Mooney (see next quote). Where is he going to go?

Cause we all know - we are probably not sniffing the NCAA for at least another 2 years with our current roster situation.
The first goal will be to win in the A10 and that is why I say show me you are one of the best coaches in the conference. Winning one A10 tournament in what can only be classified as a down year in A10 (only participants in NCAA were conference champ and the regular season champ) with a surprising run does not prove anything to me. Second, you you are saying we should pay more knowing that the team will not reach the goals of the program? Sound like the perfect reason to not do anything with the contact to me.
It will be interesting to see how it works out.
Agreed.

Thought this might be a good place for it because we always talk "buyouts" with the contract.

Did anyone see that Kentucky and Coach Cal contract came out as some people were thinking might be time to move on from Cal with his bad record in the NCAA recently. His buyout this year is 52 MILLION dollars, and decreases by 6 million each year over the next 8 years. His current salary is just over 8 million, so in a sense, he is giving them a 2 million discount to fire him. But in reality - he is there coach for a long time with that type of buyout.

Cause we all know - we are probably not sniffing the NCAA for at least another 2 years with our current roster situation.
I'm not ready to conceed that.

yes there are question marks. and we might still need to add a piece or two. but we'll find the points. I think this group can be a better defensive team.

23 is right, you can't give credit for two NCAAs in three years, because if the NCAA had happened two years ago and we made it, none of these guys would have had this extra year of eligibility this year. So no matter how you slice it, it's one NCAA, not two.

I'm not giving credit for two NCAA's in three years. but I am giving credit for the 24-7 record in 2019-20. we had a really good year.
2020-21 was a weird covid year.
expectations were very high this year and we didn't meet them in the regular season, but we still ended with a really good year.

we're a pretty strong 62-29 the past 3 years.

Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but I do think real conversations need to happen in Hardt's office, and unfortunately these are among them. The record has looked pretty good the last three years, though the same elements apply; without COVID, we don't get these guys for a fifth/sixth year, and so this year's record looks much worse. Of course, I realize everyone had this extra year, and it did happen.

I also don't know that you can just say "Eh, COVID made last year weird, so let's not count it." It was weird and challenging for everyone, and 68 teams not named Richmond still made the NCAAs.

All that said, obviously I was thrilled that we made it this year and won a game!

Not trying to rain on the parade or anything, but I do think real conversations need to happen in Hardt's office, and unfortunately these are among them. The record has looked pretty good the last three years, though the same elements apply; without COVID, we don't get these guys for a fifth/sixth year, and so this year's record looks much worse. Of course, I realize everyone had this extra year, and it did happen.

I also don't know that you can just say "Eh, COVID made last year weird, so let's not count it." It was weird and challenging for everyone, and 68 teams not named Richmond still made the NCAAs.

All that said, obviously I was thrilled that we made it this year and won a game!
Or 67...

agreed but I think we didn't handle it well. it affected us more than most with multiple pauses and guys isolated for long stretches with no practice.
I don't give Mooney a pass on it, but I understand the record.

This is my assumption as well, we will re-evaluate in 4-5 years.
Why not kick it up to 8-10 years? That way decisions can be kicked way down the road.

Projection - How many NCAA appearances in the next 4-5; in the next 8-10?

Before I say this, I really hope I am wrong. Hopefully CM learned that playing more agressive on defense and rebounding are both very important and led to the A10 championship.
Its not going to happen, but my opinion is we still need a fresh start. My fear is CM will now be complacent since he made the NCAA. His back is (wrongly in my opinion) no longer against the wall and he relaxes like he did when he signed the 10 year deal. We are back to no pressure to win again, no accountability. We will be inexperienced and that will be the excuse for taking a step back next year. Again, I hope I am proven wrong but this is exactly what happened on the past. Plus, the A10 is getting better coaches with Archie @ URI and Schmidt at UMass with more resources to work with.

Before I say this, I really hope I am wrong. Hopefully CM learned that playing more agressive on defense and rebounding are both very important and led to the A10 championship.
Its not going to happen, but my opinion is we still need a fresh start. My fear is CM will now be complacent since he made the NCAA. His back is (wrongly in my opinion) no longer against the wall and he relaxes like he did when he signed the 10 year deal. We are back to no pressure to win again, no accountability. We will be inexperienced and that will be the excuse for taking a step back next year. Again, I hope I am proven wrong but this is exactly what happened on the past. Plus, the A10 is getting better coaches with Archie @ URI and Schmidt at UMass with more resources to work with.
Everyone else in the A-10 is loading up and Mooney is about to settle in for a long 2022-23 winter’s nap.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
My fear is CM will now be complacent since he made the NCAA. His back is (wrongly in my opinion) no longer against the wall and he relaxes like he did when he signed the 10 year deal.
Yep, I think that is the biggest fear of us so called negative posters on here. We have seen the story. I am willing to be hopeful that he has changed and will now adapt - but we have seen failure to do so. In Mooney's mind, does this two week run support the notion that he has been doing things great and just needed some luck. Or does he get re-energized and try to improve on the weak spots and be driven to get back sooner? Landing a couple good transfers that can fill some gaps will be a big step in optimism that Mooney can adapt and we can become a perrenial NCAA team with Mooney moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT