ADVERTISEMENT

A10 Conference

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
I unfortunately think it is a low probability that U of R will ever be in a major conference due to the size of our school, but I would be in favor of playing in the best possible conference.

I like being in the A10 despite the lower probability of making the NCAA. The conference offers very high quality basketball outside of the power conferences. We were the 2nd best non power conference this year and had an impressive 9 teams ranked in the top 100 NET. There is also incredible parity at the top half of the conference, which was demonstrated by all top 4 teams losing their 1st game in the A10 tournament.

I like Richmond basketball, because I enjoy watching our team play. Every game I watch gives me more happiness in my life. I also like to get to know the players over time and follow their progress after U of R. Sure, I want us to make the NCAA, but that is a small reason I follow U of R, which is similar to most fans, which is why we have the highest attendance of any school are size. I also enjoy going to the Robin Center and seeing my friends. Watching high quality basketball is much more important to me than playing in a mediocre league where we would have a much better chance of winning the conference tournament.

Over the past 5 years we have seen terrific basketball from our team and arguably the best in the history of our program. I believe Mooney has significantly improved as a coach and has built a wonderful family oriented culture, where past players stay involved in the program and help the current players. This culture along with great player development are significant benefits in keeping top talent and getting top talent in the transfer portal. Going forward I am very excited about our program which will be further aided by a strong mid-major NIL program.

Last edited:
I unfortunately think it is a low probability that U of R will ever be in a major conference due to the size of our school, but I would be in favor of playing in the best possible conference.

I like being in the A10 despite the lower probability of making the NCAA. The conference offers very high quality basketball outside of the power conferences. We were the 2nd best non power conference this year and had an impressive 9 teams ranked in the top 100 NET. There is also incredible parity at the top half of the conference, which was demonstrated by all top 4 teams losing their 1st game in the A10 tournament.

I like Richmond basketball, because I enjoy watching our team play. Every game I watch gives me more happiness in my life. I also like to get to know the players over time and follow their progress after U of R. Sure, I want us to make the NCAA, but that is a small reason I follow U of R, which is similar to most fans, which is why we have the highest attendance of any school are size. I also enjoy going to the Robin Center and seeing my friends. Watching high quality basketball is much more important to me than playing in a mediocre league where we would have a much better chance of winning the conference tournament.

Over the past 5 years we have seen terrific basketball from our team and arguably the best in the history of our program. I believe Mooney has significantly improved as a couch and has built a wonderful family oriented culture, where past players stay involved in the program and help the current players. This culture along with great player development are significant benefits in keeping top talent and getting top talent in the transfer portal. Going forward I am very excited about our program which will be further aided by a strong mid-major NIL program.
How many of you contribute towards our NIl?

Correct. Mooney's strongest suit by far is the family oriented culture. Player loyalty takes a big hit in the age of the portal and NIL, but I expect it remains at least a slight advantage over other schools. Spider pride and loyalty is a big deal to me! Making the NCAA tournament should be the major priority, though. If that's not the case, we need to seriously re-evaluate. Never be satisfied with the NIT or less.

Reactions: spider23
Basketball is a sport that is fun. When the ball ascends through the hoop structure, I exclaim loudly with joy. Regrettably, sometimes our team fails to capture victory. This situation is trying but also logical, as only one team can escape with victory. So therefore I say, try hard and compete for glory but if it is not within reach, enjoy the chosen path in any regard.

Agree with the original poster, Mooney is one heckuva couch

Subject: Still Spinning - Supporting Our Richmond Spiders Through Ups and Downs

Greetings fellow Spider fans,

Last night's game was a tough pill to swallow. Seeing our beloved Richmond Spiders fall short was disappointing, no doubt. But hey, every team faces setbacks, right? It's how we bounce back that defines us.

Sure, the scoreboard didn't reflect our hopes, but let's not forget the heart our team poured into every play. Those moments of hustle, those flashes of brilliance – that's the Richmond spirit we know and love. Our players left it all on the court, and for that, they deserve our unwavering support.

In the grand scheme of things, one loss doesn't define a season. We've seen our Spiders overcome adversity time and time again. So let's channel that resilience and rally behind them stronger than ever. They need us in the stands, cheering them on, reminding them that win or lose, we're in this together.

Let's keep the faith, keep the energy high, and keep pushing our team forward. The journey to victory isn't always smooth, but with our support, the Richmond Spiders will soar again.

See you at the next game, ready to cheer our hearts out!

Go Spiders!

[Your Name]

Correct. Mooney's strongest suit
Taking your thoughtful post in another direction with respect to "suit".

Perhaps a fuddy-duddy comment, but love seeing CM and assistants wearing sharp looking suits at games. Image I like for our university. The coaching staff attire for most of our opponents look like Spock on Star Trek.

Subject: Still Spinning - Supporting Our Richmond Spiders Through Ups and Downs

Greetings fellow Spider fans,

Last night's game was a tough pill to swallow. Seeing our beloved Richmond Spiders fall short was disappointing, no doubt. But hey, every team faces setbacks, right? It's how we bounce back that defines us.

Sure, the scoreboard didn't reflect our hopes, but let's not forget the heart our team poured into every play. Those moments of hustle, those flashes of brilliance – that's the Richmond spirit we know and love. Our players left it all on the court, and for that, they deserve our unwavering support.

In the grand scheme of things, one loss doesn't define a season. We've seen our Spiders overcome adversity time and time again. So let's channel that resilience and rally behind them stronger than ever. They need us in the stands, cheering them on, reminding them that win or lose, we're in this together.

Let's keep the faith, keep the energy high, and keep pushing our team forward. The journey to victory isn't always smooth, but with our support, the Richmond Spiders will soar again.

See you at the next game, ready to cheer our hearts out!

Go Spiders!

[Your Name]
New board rule: everyone must make at least three AI-generated posts every week.

Taking your thoughtful post in another direction with respect to "suit".

Perhaps a fuddy-duddy comment, but love seeing CM and assistants wearing sharp looking suits at games. Image I like for our university. The coaching staff attire for most of our opponents look like Spock on Star Trek.
But they live long and prosper.

What is unfortunate about this board is that it has accumulated a handful on angry, negative and unfriendly fans that dominate the postings and try to scare away positive fans. I personal don't understand why a few of you spend so much time on something that makes you so unhappy. Many of you have been making negative post for almost a decade.

The purpose of the post is to communicate how a vast fans majority of fans view our program. Our basketball program is doing terrific and we are lucky to have one of the top coaches in the league. We just finished one of the best regular season in school history with an SRS better than any team had the past century and when I read this board it sounds like we sucked. I am extremely hopeful we make the NIT, which is a great achievement for a mid-major and hope we make a nice run in the tournament.

What is unfortunate about this board is that it has accumulated a handful on angry, negative and unfriendly fans that dominate the postings and try to scare away positive fans. I personal don't understand why a few of you spend so much time on something that makes you so unhappy. Many of you have been making negative post for almost a decade.

The purpose of the post is to communicate how a vast fans majority of fans view our program. Our basketball program is doing terrific and we are lucky to have one of the top coaches in the league. We just finished one of the best regular season in school history with an SRS better than any team had the past century and when I read this board it sounds like we sucked. I am extremely hopeful we make the NIT, which is a great achievement for a mid-major and hope we make a nice run in the tournament.
Yes, we have a good program with a lot of potential. As such, I would be very disappointed if we were all happy over an NIT bid when the team had so much potential as regular season Champs to make a run in the NCAAs. If we weren't disappointed with one of our best regular seasons in school history as you state it resulting in NIT, I'd want our pulse checked. That or we don't have a serious program. Get Real.

Essandoko just standing there in the paint watching vcu drive down the lane for layups is about to cost the Hawks this game. WTF.

Essandoko just standing there in the paint watching vcu drive down the lane for layups is about to cost the Hawks this game. WTF.

Did u really think vcu was going to lose?

Didn’t watch just looked at score. Knew the result beforehand. Re vote on COY. Give it to Odom.

Time to triple up on vcu. +1000 then +200 probably -175 at least next.

Reactions: Ram Bal
St Joe's looking good. But I don't understand how Odom can call a timeout when the Hawks made a run. You can do that?
LOL but what I don't understand why he put Nelson in for FT shooting. I know 80% but being cold on bench and nothing from him today while very little last two games.

Always rooted for JaNel REAL HARD to fulfill potential as Spider but after watching him this season, Mooney did everything possibly to assist him. If stayed with us couldn't see him above King, Hunt, and even Tyne.

He is what he is, and not a good enough point guard while his outside shot not there for many minutes as a 2. Watching more games late in year, Odum mostly had him in the front court corner position to start possession. He will no doubt be looking for a PG or two in the portal.

Did u really think vcu was going to lose?

Didn’t watch just looked at score. Knew the result beforehand. Re vote on COY. Give it to Odom.

Time to triple up on vcu. +1000 then +200 probably -175 at least next.
Since you didn’t watch…
52-52 4:32 left
60-61 1:12 left

JNel misses front end of 1&1 and joe loses rebound out of bounds.

Those same fans have been positive at times. Like me they probably defend our program externally to others.

But look u gotta be honest & call it like u see it.

I think choke is harsh. Mooney is highest paid UR employee u can use on him. I defend ours players tho they get paid now I guess it’s not crazy talk for them. We faded badly at minimum. Blowout to goo moos then blew multiple double digit leads as 1 seed. Some would use the c word. Good year, likable team but the ending happened. U are judged on end of year in all high level team sports.

The big picture is the issue. Nobody not even Mooney would have believed u can survive 19 years with minimum 22 years job security at UR with our resources with only 3 NCAAs and be the worst rivalry coach of all time at 9-25 h2h vs vcu.

If we wanted to be a nice family program we could have stayed CAA and poured less $ into it. But it was an institutional decision to be bold & be much more. We were sold on that by the University. So I disagree it’s only diehard fans who wanted more. Nobody likes a bait and switch. We’ve all followed sports all our lives and at higher levels u just never see this. That’s the frustration. I think Spider23 has said it b4 and actually heard it said by other coaches. Mooney has the greatest job.

Last edited:
I think Spider23 has said it b4 and actually heard it said by other coaches. Mooney has the greatest job.
Yes a former UVA assistant and D1 head coach told me that. I saw him with a UVA jacket on, he was coaching his son at an AAU tournament, and I struck up a conversation and mentioned I went to Richmond. He indeed told me Mooney had the best job in D1, good pay and resources with little to no pressure from admin. Based on my son's age now, that would have been 9 or 10 years ago. He did not pump up Mooney, typically coaching fraternity dies that no matter if Jared Grasso or whoever.

Reactions: wr70beh and GKiller
One reason for the downfall of the A10 conference is the coaching drain. Big East has two of rhe best coaches in the nation in the championship game, both A10 former coaches. GMU had English, now in Big East. Basically VCU hires a legit coach at every turn and the rest get guys with major flaws. Hopefully SLU can get the Indiana State coach.

Reactions: Ram Bal
like GK, I have accepted the inevitable. Not even going to watch the damn selection show tomorrow. Thanks Coach of the Year!

VCU is in their 8th a10 final in 11 tries. If u go back to CAA it’s 15 finals in 20 tries. With that type of performance it’s amazing we have anyone here let alone a decent % regularly say this is year vcu falls apart. Maybe that’s wishful thinking over belief.

But at little ol’ Richmond when we get eliminated any year even as the 1 seed we r expected to give out attaboys and participation trophies.

7 miles yet worlds apart

Can we talk about the job Dambrot did with Duquesne? I have to admit, when we beat them I thought he was going to get canned during the season. They were 0-5 in the A10 and in complete disarray. Now 23-11 in the A10 final. Impressive.
Grant missed our game at Duquesne.
After 0-5, they are 14-3 (including one at Dayton) in games since…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT