ADVERTISEMENT

Box and One

CarolinaSpider

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2006
So last two games there has been a variation of box and one on King. STJ covered him
tight and left big man in bottom of lane to prevent layups and left our bigs open in lane.
Walz and Quinn made them pay for this strategy. GMU assigned a chaser on King and we
spread floor leaving some lanes open to basket but we missed a lot of short shots. Moving
forward I see that is going to be the strategy against us. Take away Hunt and make the rest
of the team score. We may need Noyes to come in some to give us another outside shooter.
Give GMU credit for executing their game plan very well and giving our coaching staff a chance
to prepare for our next meeting.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes. Agree. It is basically a box and one. 4 on 4 should be a layup fest. We don't get style points for winning and Jordan scoring 25. Just Win! This is the defense we will see in the A10 tourney. Need to attack attack with the other guys and then the shots will come for Jordan as well.

well, it's not a box and one. all 5 are playing man. just with different responsibilities.

King's man is relieved of any help duties. seems obvious to me that everyone should do this. face to face with Jordan all the time whether he has the ball or not.

Quinn's man lays off. that also seems like an obvious strategy to me. he's 4-13 from 3 on the season. and he's not all that efficient on 2 point floaters. let him do that stuff. but don't play up on him where he can hurt you passing.

the other 3 play pretty normal man.

Yes it's not the old fashioned box, but it becomes 4 v4 . Which means more space and should be easier to score.
It should mean any ballhandler getting close to King should have a better chance of it staying one on one…

Quinn needs to start closer to the basket on his floaters, go strong to the basket and don’t be in a hurry to take certain shots!
This is never going to happen. Neal Quinn is soft. It’s the elephant in the room but we all see it every game. He’s a hell of a player but he is scared as hell of contact. Unless he has a total mentality change he is who he is and we aren’t going to have him magically change that overnight.

This is never going to happen. Neal Quinn is soft. It’s the elephant in the room but we all see it every game. He’s a hell of a player but he is scared as hell of contact. Unless he has a total mentality change he is who he is and we aren’t going to have him magically change that overnight.
I don't see the BC game highlights on the youtube channel? I feel like first half of the BC game was Neal's best half of the season vs legit ACC big man Quinten Post. I feel like he was aggressive in that game. We are going to need that Neal in the A10 tourney, supplemented by Walz A game, which we have seen from Walz a few time down the stretch.

I don't think he's soft. he plays phyically on defense.
I don't love floaters for big men, but that's what he's been trained to do. he doesn't seem to have a low center of gravity or much lift to power his way inside. so he works with what he's got.

the guy plays hard all the time. I've enjoyed watching him.

Box and One is a gimmick and one that SHOULD be easily defeated by college players, because your essentially then playing 4 v 4. But with that said - I could see teams trying it for small periods of time, or not really a traditional box and 1 - just have whoever is guarding King face guard and provide no help.

Bad news is that I think we got bad matchups in our first round of A10 tourney. Mason - who just clubbed us and will feel confident. And even if they didn't beat us - they are always a tough out for us for some reason. And St. Joes - yes, we just beat them, but they did not have Lynn Greer in the lineup and I think (if healthy) is someone they think can stay with King or at least give them another body to throw at him.

Losing the Mason game killed all chances of at-large. Its win the A10 tourney now - and they better not sleep on the first game of St. Joes or Mason.

I’m realizing now that this post was made while I was frustrated. Neal Quinn is not soft and I apologize for saying so.

The sentiment I was attempting to have come across is that Neal Quinn is not a bruiser. He’s not the type to come in and bully you down low in the post. I incorrectly used the word soft to describe that, and that was wrong.

With that being said, I would rather us have Neal Quinn be how he is than trade it all for a guy who bangs down low. He’s so damn good and so fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT