ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney billboard

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Fair play by Grant and others.

Several former Spiders who played for Mooney, Richmond’s coach since 2005, since that billboard with the critical message appeared have discussed the possibility of sponsoring a supportive billboard when they felt the time was appropriate. Led by former UR star Grant Golden, that group recently determined this is a fitting time.

"For years, it's been kind of a running joke," said Golden.

Golden plays professionally in Italy and he said in a Monday phone interview that the billboard five years ago was unfortunate, and that sort of criticism can be part of the job for college basketball coaches.

“As (Mooney’s) guys and people who care for him, we felt we needed to show support,” said Golden.

Golden said about 15 former UR players and managers contributed to pay for the new billboard, which is expected to occupy this prominent place near I-95 for a month. It displays its message where the critical one did in 2019.

Hate it. Pisses me off that whinyboy Golden thinks I'm not a "true fan" because I don't approve of Mooney. If Golden is a "true alumni" maybe he will feel different in 20 years when Coach For Life is still clipping along at a 55% pace.

Hate it. Pisses me off that whinyboy Golden thinks I'm not a "true fan" because I don't approve of Mooney. If Golden is a "true alumni" maybe he will feel different in 20 years when Coach For Life is still clipping along at a 55% pace.
other than the fact that he doesn't share your view, I don't see the difference in his "true fans" comment and the comments we've read here many times that anyone who doesn't want Mooney fired is a fan (or family) of Mooney and not a fan of UR.

No doubt the "true spider fans" is a dig at the fire mooney billboard. & I kinda respect the pettiness. But my quibble would be can't you come up with just 1 non former player & manager. Grant says all 15 were former players or managers. What they don't know or couldn't find even 1 "fan" to contribute? Probably hard to find those actually. Ok & yes these guys are fans now too, but if u played or worked for Moon it's still a little different category. Just have to lol at admitting the "true spider fans" is made up. But maybe it's part of their point.

I assume most of the UR people he stays in touch with are former teammates.
I also assume former players all believe they know more about who Mooney is than most fans.

I feel like they should all name themselves rather than just say “true fans and former players,” suggesting that all former players and all true fans were involved.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I wasn't sure if he was serious when he posted this a few weeks ago...he sure was.

I have some VCU friends taking credit for the new bb!
I was thinking that they will be eating this up. As gkiller pointed out after Mooney won COY and then crapped the bed post season, they were out on Twitter trolling and calling for 10 year and lifetime.

Freaking Golden's playing right into their hands and will have that thrown back at him when VCU whoops us next year.

SpiderRick, before you criticize Grant, I think you should dedicate 6 year of your life to U of R basketball, become the 2nd highest scorer in program history, continue to help the program after you graduate by coaching some of the players, which included 2nd team All conference Quinn and then you will have the right to criticize him.

I think this billboard is awesome, because it shows the loyalty of our program to the players. This is one of the reason we are getting great talent from the transfer portal.

Reactions: VT4700
We’ve had great talent since CM got here with his recruits, but the disappointment is the constant lack of legitimate consistent end of year results. They should feel disappointed. Every player who plays should taste an NCAA tourney.. Basically a 50%+ Coach and even worse against VCU.

We’ve had great talent since CM got here with his recruits, but the disappointment is the constant lack of legitimate consistent end of year results. They should feel disappointed. Every player who plays should taste an NCAA tourney.. Basically a 50%+ Coach and even worse against VCU.

That was the old Bob Black take, at least 1 in every 4. Every player that matriculates at UR as freshman should go to NCAA.

Personally I think the school put the kibosh on that talk. Like they told Bob...if u haven't noticed we're trending farther away and we're an awfully leafy campus. I don't think you'll hear Philly Bob say it again, even tho it was a pretty soft standard to begin with.

Maybe the Grant Golden 1 in 6 years is more acceptable. Come to U of R for 6 years and you'll definitely go. Just need a redshirt and a world pandemic. But we are closing in on 1 in 7, the Seven Year Itch. But U of R will scratch that itch, no divorce here.

SpiderRick, before you criticize Grant, I think you should dedicate 6 year of your life to U of R basketball, become the 2nd highest scorer in program history, continue to help the program after you graduate by coaching some of the players, which included 2nd team All conference Quinn and then you will have the right to criticize him.

I think this billboard is awesome, because it shows the loyalty of our program to the players. This is one of the reason we are getting great talent from the transfer portal.
First off this is ridiculous. When my car broke down was I not allowed to criticize it unless I had built a car myself?

Golden is a Spider legend and of course he is going to back his guy. He would be crazy not to.

At the end of the day I’m the sucker paying $30 to watch one damn game every year on FloHoops. I may not be a “real fan” but I don’t think the fake fans are doing that.

I think the billboard is cool. Making it about Mooney instead of dunking on the haters would have made it even cooler.

This may be the dumbest thing Ive ever seen in all of my watching sports. Geez it really is amazing the cult of personality Mooney must be. The guy can have a 55% winning % against a 200+ career SOS, make 3 NCAA’s is 20 years and have influential people slobbering for his affection. Its sickening.
This just threw me over the edge. This program, fan base, and admin are a complete joke. Following this program is like getting waterboarded. Torture.

First off this is ridiculous. When my car broke down was I not allowed to criticize it unless I had built a car myself?

Golden is a Spider legend and of course he is going to back his guy. He would be crazy not to.

At the end of the day I’m the sucker paying $30 to watch one damn game every year on FloHoops. I may not be a “real fan” but I don’t think the fake fans are doing that.

I think the billboard is cool. Making it about Mooney instead of dunking on the haters would have made it even cooler.
A Spider legend? Really? He played 5 seasons so what ever numbers he has are elevated. He was a good player. Legend. No.

Reactions: wr70beh
That was the old Bob Black take, at least 1 in every 4. Every player that matriculates at UR as freshman should go to NCAA.

Personally I think the school put the kibosh on that talk. Like they told Bob...if u haven't noticed we're trending farther away and we're an awfully leafy campus. I don't think you'll hear Philly Bob say it again, even tho it was a pretty soft standard to begin with.

Maybe the Grant Golden 1 in 6 years is more acceptable. Come to U of R for 6 years and you'll definitely go. Just need a redshirt and a world pandemic. But we are closing in on 1 in 7, the Seven Year Itch. But U of R will scratch that itch, no divorce here.
And the one they did make I can confidently say had more to do with his replacement than with him… Matt Grace hit the big shots.

Reactions: spider23
Well except I guess he was talked out of the lifetime contract angle. Probably found out Moon already has one :cool:
And who thinks that 55 pct can’t earn u a lifetime contract at UR? Well done into perpetuity.

And the one they did make I can confidently say had more to do with his replacement than with him… Matt Grace hit the big shots.
I thought Golden was a heck of a player but yes MFG is the legend :). Clutch player. We actually could have used us an MFG type player down the stretch this year.

I'm not about to enter into the whole "first billboard was bad/the best thing ever; this one is worse/the best thing ever" debate. But I do want to say that any coach/manager/leader who inspires THAT kind of loyalty from people he has spent 4-6 years critiquing and probably, yes, yelling at, must be doing something right!

I wish I could feel a fraction of that loyalty to any of my previous managers, etc.

Correction… 6 years
you seem to hold against him that he collapsed on the court.
he played as long as the NCAA would let him play. 4 years, plus the covid year, plus 68 minutes his true freshman year (scoring 18 points) before collapsing.

and in that time scored 2,246 points and pulled down 1,015 rebounds.
yes, he's a Spider legend ... whether he holds your views on his coach or not.

Pretty hilarious trolling. Not sure what other programs but up billboards to their coaches for winning a conference COY, that usually is reserved to celebrate a major team or program accomplishment.

And yes, it is a bit of cult of personality. Clearly for whomever was involved in putting up this billboard, there allegiance is to a man versus the institution. That usually ends well:)

Last edited:
you seem to hold against him that he collapsed on the court.
he played as long as the NCAA would let him play. 4 years, plus the covid year, plus 68 minutes his true freshman year (scoring 18 points) before collapsing.

and in that time scored 2,246 points and pulled down 1,015 rebounds.
yes, he's a Spider legend ... whether he holds your views on his coach or not.
Yes, I don’t get the resentment about Gokden.

I will say career records from the 70s&80s are a bit different than the last 20 years,
Which is why I try to look at per minute or per game. Some hold up well, others do not.

Reactions: gospidersgo

The billboard does nothing for getting talent in the portal that’s just a reach. This is an awful idea, praising the guy who has underperformed as a coach throughout his tenure. It’s annoying at this point

I had no issue with the original billboard, think it finally showed some fans putting some money where their mouths were as billboards, websites, and funds dedicated to paying for coaches buyout are not all uncommon at larger schools where sports are a priority. So I had no issue with it. Not something I personally would have gotten behind, but I can see the reasons for it.

Also have no issue with this billboard. Think its kinda funny more than anything. The fact that they pooled money together to respond to original billboard shows that the first billboard did not go unnoticed. Almost wonder if it would have been better not to respond in this manner and maybe do something else (i.e. - get a billboard company to sponsor some players through NIL and put them on a billboard with the message). But anyways - I have no issue with this billboard either, it again shows some support and caring from fans and appears former players.

Playing devil's advocate here though - only downside I see is that whoever put up that original billboard probably still has a point after this season, and some have shared it already - even with POY, COY, and A10 regular season champs - no NCAA bid. Which is the ultimate reason for the original board. Personally - I think that is an anomaly (or I hope it is) for the A10 as usually you win the A10 regular season title, you make the NCAA tourney, without winning the A10 tourney.

If you told me today, in the next 15 years, UR will win 5 more A10 regular season titles under Mooney, I would sign up for that right now as I would expect to make the NCAA in all 5 of those seasons. And yes - I do think after the NCAA bid 2 years ago, the medical issues last season, and the success Mooney had this year - he will be around for 15 years (or more) if he chooses.

Since the 1st billboard, we have had two 24 win seasons, a 23 win season, an A-10 regular season title, an A-10 tourney title, and a 1st round dance win over Iowa. The last 5 seasons, we are 55-30 in the A-10 and 98-53 overall with Mooney as the coach. Yet, you say those that put that up still have a point??????? LOL. Okay.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this being the tv talking point for the next 3 years before they have to revert to wedding planner story. They’ll go with this and then talk about the Princeton offense, (possibly on steroids, depending how we are playing.)

Just win. Consistently, in volume and in post season

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Since the 1st billboard, we have had two 24 win seasons, a 23 win season, an A-10 regular season title, an A-10 tourney title, and a 1st round dance win over Iowa.
So it seems to have worked? Also, in all fairness, the first rumblings we heard about Mooney's job security (I don't believe it) and then the petition seemed to spur the A10 tourney/NCAA run. I guess the lesson here is that Mooney and the team need a little boost every once in a while? That can be dispelled by going to the NCAA's next season.

So it seems to have worked? Also, in all fairness, the first rumblings we heard about Mooney's job security (I don't believe it) and then the petition seemed to spur the A10 tourney/NCAA run. I guess the lesson here is that Mooney and the team need a little boost every once in a while? That can be dispelled by going to the NCAA's next season.
If they ever need a boost, all they need to do is just read this board. Any day they log on would be all they needed to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT