ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
You so desperately want to blame Buckingham's departure on Mooney. You repeatedly say he kicked Buck out because Buck wanted to transfer. I think that's ridiculous. You can argue about his strategies or his recruiting or his press conferences all day long. No issue there. You hate him as a coach. That's fine. But you think it's likely he's done something criminal here? He'd take that risk for what? That's comical. I thought we all agreed he's a good man if not a good coach? I guess you believe he set up the one game in season suspension as groundwork for reasonable cause?

I doubt Miller's explanation was off the cuff. He explained it in a hypothetical way so we don't know for sure the transgression. But it's the 3 strike process that he was clearly pointing to that shows this is on Buck and was out of Mooney's hands.

I guess we will never know. I do think the timing and what we heard was very shady for 1. And yes, I do have some sources that have been spot on and delivered news around the program that have indicated as such. So, just like the argument: Are we more or less experienced, maybe we will not know.

You so desperately want to blame Buckingham's departure on Mooney. You repeatedly say he kicked Buck out because Buck wanted to transfer. I think that's ridiculous. You can argue about his strategies or his recruiting or his press conferences all day long. No issue there. You hate him as a coach. That's fine. But you think it's likely he's done something criminal here? He'd take that risk for what? That's comical. I thought we all agreed he's a good man if not a good coach? I guess you believe he set up the one game in season suspension as groundwork for reasonable cause?

I doubt Miller's explanation was off the cuff. He explained it in a hypothetical way so we don't know for sure the transgression. But it's the 3 strike process that he was clearly pointing to that shows this is on Buck and was out of Mooney's hands.
There was a lot of smoke that Buck was looking into transferring just a few weeks prior to him being kicked off the team from several locations.

So, it is plausible, that a player who might have had similar violations as Buck but was invested in staying in the program, would have had a more in-house consequence (a suspension from the team over the summer or for multiple games next year) versus what happened to Buck where they just flat kicked him out to save themselves the further embarrassment of another defection.

Nothing criminal, I just feel they gave him the maximum punishment they could him for his transgressions to make sure he didn't embarrass them by transferring later.

Reactions: keefusb
There was a lot of smoke that Buck was looking into transferring just a few weeks prior to him being kicked off the team from several locations.

So, it is plausible, that a player who might have had similar violations as Buck but was invested in staying in the program, would have had a more in-house consequence (a suspension from the team over the summer or for multiple games next year) versus what happened to Buck where they just flat kicked him out to save themselves the further embarrassment of another defection.

Nothing criminal, I just feel they gave him the maximum punishment they could him for his transgressions to make sure he didn't embarrass them by transferring later.
97, the reason I have you on “Ignore” is reflected in this ludicrous post. Don’t you have better, kinder things to do than make up hateful scenarios? Listen, I think a lot of Buck both as a person and a player, but he broke the rules received the appropriate consequences. Leave it at that big guy; your obsessions are tiring and evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
kids transfer every day. there's no embarrassment. I refuse to believe we'd be spiteful to save face. but you want to because you want to believe Mooney is evil or something.
h
There is embarrassment when you said everyone is coming back at the end of the year and then Khwan leaves a couple weeks ago and then you say, there are no more defections and then a couple weeks later, Buck is rumored to be searching around. And Mooney has already proven his thin skinnedness (his 26 second post game presser and refusing to answer the question about what had gone wrong in the OOC season).

I'm not saying that is what happened, I'm just saying it is a plausible scenario. As for the evilness of the scenario, I think that is a bit hyperbole, but Ulla, I'm still buying you a beer at this get together, so were still good. I wish I could be as good as soldiers as you and S-man in following our fearless leader despite whatever foibles and pitfalls he puts our program through.

We will all hug it out next March, that much I am confident.

There is no evidence whatsoever that any duplicity on the part of the school or at the Athletic Department was involved in Buck's dismissal. The school and the Athletic Department have rules and the failure to follow the rules have consequences. What has been made public is that Buck failed to follow the rules and as a result was dismissed from the team. No more no less. While Buck is very likable and certainly hustled on the court that does not mean that he is not required to follow the rules.

off a 20 loss season and 7 year drought I think you guys have plenty of ammo to go to battle with in your cause to oust our coach.

you don't need to promote or create underhanded scenarios because you feel they're "plausible".

Reactions: urfan1 and KWeaver
No idea what Buck did or didn't do but what would have been the harm to simply given him the release and parted company? Is there a NCAA requirement he be booted for his transgressions rather than given the release? I believe this is the point many are trying to make.

No idea what Buck did or didn't do but what would have been the harm to simply given him the release and parted company? Is there a NCAA requirement he be booted for his transgressions rather than given the release? I believe this is the point many are trying to make.
could have. would have been cleaner for both parties.
I guess in theory you could do that for everyone that ever breaks rules that policy dictates would lead to dismissal.

Yes, this makes too much sense. Seemed to be heating up and then this move. Why not just part ways. WHY, because Mooney already was telling the press that everyone else was back - which was incorrect because if A) this scenario of the transgressions is correct - he couldn't make that statement and he had to know the dismissal was coming or B) he was using the threat of dismissal as a card, and he used it.
Just makes too much sense and some moles seem to corroborate the story.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Yes, this makes too much sense. Seemed to be heating up and then this move. Why not just part ways. WHY, because Mooney already was telling the press that everyone else was back - which was incorrect because if A) this scenario of the transgressions is correct - he couldn't make that statement and he had to know the dismissal was coming or B) he was using the threat of dismissal as a card, and he used it.
Just makes too much sense and some moles seem to corroborate the story.
I hate to speculate about this situation, especially without any inside information. But..
Is there any thought that Mooney had been trying to soften the effect of whatever rule breaking there was? Either because of his opinion of Buck as a person or a player? But that someone who was relatively new to the situation, made a decision that the rules were going to be enforced as written? To establish his position on how these types of matters would be handled in the future?

No idea whatsoever on the chances of this, but might fit much of what we do know, which seems to be very little.

"So, we will give you a scholarship, and if you break the rules and get kicked out of school, don't worry, we will just part ways and say you wanted to transfer". Cheat on tests, steal, do drugs, or anything else. Doesn't matter. We will cover for you".

Wow, that's a real good way to run a program, isn't it? Wonder how many 18-21 year olds would mess up knowing no one would have to find out. And, what happens if they do the same thing at their next program and it gets out that you were not being honest with the team he transfers to?

Man, this thread just won't die. I think we are now up to 5 conspiracy theories. Can we just move on and let Buck be a role player for a non major team in 2 years?

Reactions: Ulla1
Of course there are conspiracy theories. There has never been a public explanation of the order of the public reports in all of this (Buck's request for release followed within a day or two by his dismissal). Those two things along make you wonder what really happened. There hasn't been Buck with a public explanation or the coach or athletic department with one. It makes you feel like you're missing pertinent details.

Regardless of all of that, I wish Buck the best. I hope he lands on his feet. I will miss him as a Spider. I will always wonder how things would be different if he were still here for his four full years at UR.

Of course there are conspiracy theories. There has never been a public explanation of the order of the public reports in all of this (Buck's request for release followed within a day or two by his dismissal). Those two things along make you wonder what really happened. There hasn't been Buck with a public explanation or the coach or athletic department with one. It makes you feel like you're missing pertinent details.

Regardless of all of that, I wish Buck the best. I hope he lands on his feet. I will miss him as a Spider. I will always wonder how things would be different if he were still here for his four full years at UR.

I don't think the school is legally allowed to say exactly what happened, and even if they were, why should they? It looks pretty bad on a program if you volunteer "yes, he got booted because he ........" about a college kid when you don't have to. Not sure too many recruits would be thrilled seeing that, and what positives would a school gain by doing so?

This is why it is so common to see schools use either "broke team rules" or "broke admin rules" when guys get either suspended or dismissed, and leave it at that.

"So, we will give you a scholarship, and if you break the rules and get kicked out of school, don't worry, we will just part ways and say you wanted to transfer". Cheat on tests, steal, do drugs, or anything else. Doesn't matter. We will cover for you".

Wow, that's a real good way to run a program, isn't it? Wonder how many 18-21 year olds would mess up knowing no one would have to find out. And, what happens if they do the same thing at their next program and it gets out that you were not being honest with the team he transfers to?

Man, this thread just won't die. I think we are now up to 5 conspiracy theories. Can we just move on and let Buck be a role player for a non major team in 2 years?
I believe you may be stretching a bit here if we can believe he first asked for his release and then was booted. If the timing was reversed I see your point and agree.

Cheat on tests, that would fall under the student honors council would it not?

Not sure, but irrelevant to the point I was making. Anyway, I have said this before, but I have moved on from Buck, and am looking forward to a good season next year.

Please stop. speculation that goes on for weeks, is soooo
bring. If "you" knew exactly what the reason was, what good would it do you?
The obvious answer? It would kill this thread and either the Pro Mooney or Fire Mooney supporters would be crowing. The conspiracy theorist would be saying "I told you so" and VT4700 would say " nothing to see here move along.

Reactions: coachfezz
It’s not a plausible scenario man. Suggesting as much is fairly reckless and does little to bolster an already valid reason to warrant parting with CM.

Me too. BUT!, the offense is built around him (and Grant) and it suits him well. He can score almost as many points as he wants any way he wants. I highly doubt he'd give that up!
I'm assuming Sherod wants to win at some point in his Richmond career.

Sherod is 22-14 in the A-10 in his career. Plenty of winning and more to come.
No point now for Buck to make to make a statement.....the original comment was what harm if he had been given his release in lieu of the boot. That has been the rub for many posters.

Reactions: spider23
No point now for Buck to make to make a statement.....the original comment was what harm if he had been given his release in lieu of the boot. That has been the rub for many posters.
Not really, local. Some of us accept the fact that Buck did wrong. Guilty. Punished. Nuff said.

No one is disputing his transgressions, simply the stain created by booting him after he asked for his release.
Local, deal with reality. Buck was canned for breaking the rules. Come on, man. Deal with it.

Local, deal with reality. Buck was canned for breaking the rules. Come on, man. Deal with it.

The way I think of it is if I was to start typing racial slurs or inappropriate things on here but then instead of getting mad at me you all got mad the mods and made excuses for me. It is absolutely ridiculous.

The way I think of it is if I was to start typing racial slurs or inappropriate things on here but then instead of getting mad at me you all got mad the mods and made excuses for me. It is absolutely ridiculous.
Would agree 100% BUT, the timing stinks to high heaven. And Mooney is in desperation mode. So, it seems like a cover up. Meanwhile Jabba the Hardt is barely breathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT