ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Rules

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Seems like our opponents have installed the A10's version of the Jordan Rules. I have missed more time watching than I would have liked late in the season, and when watching on TV I seem to miss the strategy much more than watching a game in person. From comments on here and what I have gleaned, it seems when the other team goes into the Jordan Rules, and face guards Jordan all over the court, we have not adjusted great. There have been some games like VCU - where Jordan just makes crazy contested shots - that is great - but does not seem like necessarily a sustainable coaching strategy. Other times - in games I missed - it sounds like we camped him outside to try to isolate the other 4.

While Jordan has shown the propensity to go hero ball and win us games like very few can, in a cavernous, early in the day, site lines questionable, defensive oriented first two rounds of the A10 tourney, I think we need a plan B as well. What are the best options to overcome the Jordan Rules in this setting?

Reactions: SpiderLaw
Seems like our opponents have installed the A10's version of the Jordan Rules. I have missed more time watching than I would have liked late in the season, and when watching on TV I seem to miss the strategy much more than watching a game in person. From comments on here and what I have gleaned, it seems when the other team goes into the Jordan Rules, and face guards Jordan all over the court, we have not adjusted great. There have been some games like VCU - where Jordan just makes crazy contested shots - that is great - but does not seem like necessarily a sustainable coaching strategy. Other times - in games I missed - it sounds like we camped him outside to try to isolate the other 4.

While Jordan has shown the propensity to go hero ball and win us games like very few can, in a cavernous, early in the day, site lines questionable, defensive oriented first two rounds of the A10 tourney, I think we need a plan B as well. What are the best options to overcome the Jordan Rules in this setting?
Have him bring the ball up and not play him off the ball like we seem to do too often. He’s not big enough to get open on people guarding him off the ball so just let him initiate the offense and if he’s the only person that touches the ball that possession and takes a shot that’s more high percentage than not having him involved at all. Also this goes for more than just him but we need to stop passing up so many layups/opportunities at the rim. Idk if hunt/king are afraid of getting their shot blocked or what but they seem to pass up a lot of layups at the rim. Drive to the lane, draw contact and get to the line. We’re a good free throw shooting team so take advantage of it.

I think he has some open looks when he brings the ball up the court. I see Caitlyn Clark do it a lot. She will dribble up and launch a 3. I know that is not our offense, but definitely way to get a couple shots up.

I also think when this happens, we have to get Bigelow more involved. He really can do everything. He has the 3 looking fantastic, and that mid range game, a turnaround shot too. I think he can take over games.

Agree about Bigelow. It seems some games he becomes forgotten man, of course he has had a few that he got early foul trouble too. From one of his interviews, he talked about how he focused his offseason work outs on specific shots/situations he would be in, and it has paid off. He is a guy that wants the ball and wants to make plays too, so I do like getting him some shots.

We should do what we did against St. Joe's, basically. It seems to me that every time this year Quinn has come out hot and made a few shots right away, he gets confidence and we win. And if he is scoring, the defense has to pay more attention to him, which frees up our offense to do its thing. We didn't miss King's lack of scoring at all that game because everyone else was getting involved.

Quinn has had some great first halves and some solid second halves. Now we need him to have two good halves in the same game. He's a big strong 7 footer and it's time to play like a big strong 7 footer. At times there is way too much finess in his game. Walz plays aggressive, except for his shooting. We seem him many times in the lane with the ball and not even look at the basket before tossing the ball out. BIG MEN BRING YOUR A GAME!

If they are doubling Jordan, that means someone else is gonna be open. Agree with Rick and Eight, that we need to establish Quinn in the post early in the game. Feed him and we have to hope his shot falls. Quinn should make a much higher percentage of those shots than he does, but it's the end of the year and he what he should do and what he does are obviously 2 different things. But still, you have to throw the ball into Quinn and run Jordan off of that, if they are doubling him.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I feel like he shoots like 90% on those reverse layups. If we can find more of those shots, let's do it.
Agree G…Let’s
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Reactions: urfan1
If they are doubling Jordan, that means someone else is gonna be open. Agree with Rick and Eight, that we need to establish Quinn in the post early in the game. Feed him and we have to hope his shot falls. Quinn should make a much higher percentage of those shots than he does, but it's the end of the year and he what he should do and what he does are obviously 2 different things. But still, you have to throw the ball into Quinn and run Jordan off of that, if they are doubling him.
St Joe’s and Mason each held Jordan to one basket and neither doubled him.

St Joe’s and Mason each held Jordan to one basket and neither doubled him.
Missed the St. Joes game so I can't comment, but what I saw with Mason was them throwing 2 guys out on him anytime he had the ball in the offensive zone. Was that a true "double team", I don't know but he had 2 guys around him most times he had the ball.

Reactions: whampas
I also think when this happens, we have to get Bigelow more involved. He really can do everything. He has the 3 looking fantastic, and that mid range game, a turnaround shot too. I think he can take over games.
Love me some Bigelow but that “turnaround shot” is about the least efficient attempt he can take and misses them at a very high rate.. Needs to be retired from the repertoire.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
Have been watching St Mary's with interest as their prime offense like ours is 4 out with high post 5, Quite interesting how they manage to get the O rebound and tweak the O as to what the D allows. They did not back down in their victory over the Zags.

I'd have to see his shot chart. I feel like he makes a lot of those "tough" 2 pointers that analytics says not to take.
Im specifically talking turnaround fades. I think he’s made maybe fewer than five of the turnaround fadeaways all season, I bet he’s well under 20% and very likely under 10%. It is a terrible shot and he is not making them at a rate that analytics would justify.

Im specifically talking turnaround fades. I think he’s made maybe fewer than five of the turnaround fadeaways all season, I bet he’s well under 20% and very likely under 10%. It is a terrible shot and he is not making them at a rate that analytics would justify.
I was talking about his turnaround fades too, and his off the dribble pull ups. I still think he makes a pretty good percentage of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT