ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
"So, we will give you a scholarship, and if you break the rules and get kicked out of school, don't worry, we will just part ways and say you wanted to transfer". Cheat on tests, steal, do drugs, or anything else. Doesn't matter. We will cover for you".

Wow, that's a real good way to run a program, isn't it? Wonder how many 18-21 year olds would mess up knowing no one would have to find out. And, what happens if they do the same thing at their next program and it gets out that you were not being honest with the team he transfers to?

Man, this thread just won't die. I think we are now up to 5 conspiracy theories. Can we just move on and let Buck be a role player for a non major team in 2 years?

He was kicked out of school? For a violation of team rules? Seems to me I read somewhere that he was allowed to stay in school, but I may have missed something.

The way I think of it is if I was to start typing racial slurs or inappropriate things on here but then instead of getting mad at me you all got mad the mods and made excuses for me. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Exactly. Also, with your example, instead of booting you for that, we were supposed to let you announce to us that you were leaving the board for own reasons without any negative pub.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
He was kicked out of school? For a violation of team rules? Seems to me I read somewhere that he was allowed to stay in school, but I may have missed something.

You are correct. He was dismissed from the team but not the school.

Exactly. Also, with your example, instead of booting you for that, we were supposed to let you announce to us that you were leaving the board for own reasons without any negative pub.

I think some of these guys would throw a party if I said I was leaving the board lol. :p

Would agree 100% BUT, the timing stinks to high heaven. And Mooney is in desperation mode. So, it seems like a cover up. Meanwhile Jabba the Hardt is barely breathing.

You keep saying the timing stinks. Well, then tell that to Buck. He is the one that seems to pick the worst times to mess up. We have a 5 game winning streak, and Buck gets suspended a game. Khwan transfers and soon thereafter, Buck messes up again and gets kicked off the team. Seems like you are blaming the wrong people for this bad timing.

Reactions: coachfezz

What part of what I was saying did you not think was hypothetical? Correct, he was only kicked off the team, but I was simply using an example. Sorry it was not clear.

What part of what I was saying did you not think was hypothetical? Correct, he was only kicked off the team, but I was simply using an example. Sorry it was not clear.

Hypothetical, like Jim Miller hypothetical?

The implication is there in both "hypotheticals"

Reactions: spider23
If the wheels were slowing turning, why release his highlight reel and then dump him a few days later? And after the word was on the street that he had requested a release.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
I get tired of responding to conspiracy theory - how about we're trying to find a path to keep him here, still waiting for results, hoping to change opinion of the administration, releasing the highlights to remind Buck what he has meant to keep him in the fold, I could keep going but why bother

De’Monte’s cousin ( or uncle ) told me that he wants to play at North Carolina. FIU is not quite the same level!

well yeah, we all grew up wanting to play at Carolina.
still waiting for the phone to ring.

FIU is full of prior VCU assistant coaches - would not be shocked....

Ballard, Rodriguez and Bopp

giphy.gif
Getting some exercise before my shift, have a good weekend Spidernation!

Last edited:
Well don't worry, we have it on here from very good sources that Buck was really not that good - even if he was on pace to be top 10 all time in points and rebounds.

I don't agree with this sentiment, but some new posters that seem to be very familiar with our rotation for next year told us.

I don't remember anyone on here saying Buck was really not that good. Why post such inaccurate things? If you are talking about me, here is what I have consistently said about Buck, which I posted a few days ago on another thread:

"Not a Buck hater at all. I have always said he was a good player and have always said I liked both him and Khwan. I just think he is replaceable, that's all. He is not a PG like Jacob, not a big like Grant, and not a shooter and scorer like Nick. I did not see any part of his game improving and I think we will find a better fit this year. We will find out soon enough."

To follow up on that, if he ends up at FIU, which went 8-10 in CUSA and 14-18 overall last year, I don't think he will be the main guy on that team either. Doesn't mean he is not a good player, just means to me he is replaceable. Disagree all you want, but unless you just like arguing, why post what you just did?

On replacing Buck, I always had the sense of him being our glue guy. And he is a stat filler too. I am most definitely not confident that he will be easily replaced.
I agree mc. I don't think repaceable is the word I'd use. he was our glue guy, and probably our best overall player. he did everything.

but I also agree with 4700 in that we have the 3 stars that I believe we need at the 3 big positions. there's only so many shots to go up, and I want Grant, Nick and Jacob getting most of them. role players who excel in their roles will hopefully fill out the starting 5.

I have no concern offensively, and I can't imagine being worse as a team defensively even though we lose the two guys that appeared to be our best defenders.

I don't remember anyone on here saying Buck was really not that good. Why post such inaccurate things? If you are talking about me, here is what I have consistently said about Buck, which I posted a few days ago on another thread:

"Not a Buck hater at all. I have always said he was a good player and have always said I liked both him and Khwan. I just think he is replaceable, that's all. He is not a PG like Jacob, not a big like Grant, and not a shooter and scorer like Nick. I did not see any part of his game improving and I think we will find a better fit this year. We will find out soon enough."

To follow up on that, if he ends up at FIU, which went 8-10 in CUSA and 14-18 overall last year, I don't think he will be the main guy on that team either. Doesn't mean he is not a good player, just means to me he is replaceable. Disagree all you want, but unless you just like arguing, why post what you just did?
Everyone is replaceable. Will it be for the better or not. I'm guessing not.

What the? I wasn't even talking about you. Sensitive. You have been around since 2016 so not a new poster. You have to chill dude. I'll probably get banned while you are calling me out. Unreal.

Wow. Glad to see you are doing better and not taking everything so seriously on here. Me, chill? LOL. Okay. Whatever. I guess you did not see where I said "if" you were talking about me.

So, since you were not talkimg about me, back up what you said and show me examples of new posters saying what you said they said about Buck. I don't recall anyone saying that. And, I really am sorry everything I post bothers you so much. Take my advice and try not to worry so much about my posts. After all, it is only an innocent message board.

In my opinion, Buck’s best comparison is Marcus Smart. It’s hard to find a guy to do (and like doing) all the dirty work on defense and rebounding, and still give you something offensively. Neither are go to scorers, but that doesn’t mean they’re not important (ask Milwaukee or Philly their feelings on Smart...).

On a perfect/championship team, I see him as a 6th man that is playing around 30 mins a game, and definitely plays the last 6-10 mins of every game because those types of plays become even more important.

So yes VT, from a pure skill level and if you were playing a video game, Buck can seem easily replaceable. But I disagree that for this Richmond squad he is, or really that type of player for any squad. We as a team will surely miss him and notice his absence.

I know I surely will.

Reactions: KWeaver and urfan1
In my opinion, Buck’s best comparison is Marcus Smart. It’s hard to find a guy to do (and like doing) all the dirty work on defense and rebounding, and still give you something offensively. Neither are go to scorers, but that doesn’t mean they’re not important (ask Milwaukee or Philly their feelings on Smart...).

On a perfect/championship team, I see him as a 6th man that is playing around 30 mins a game, and definitely plays the last 6-10 mins of every game because those types of plays become even more important.

So yes VT, from a pure skill level and if you were playing a video game, Buck can seem easily replaceable. But I disagree that for this Richmond squad he is, or really that type of player for any squad. We as a team will surely miss him and notice his absence.

I know I surely will.

Another similar type of guy is Draymond Green for Golden State. And we’ve seen how much worse off they are without him.

If the wheels were slowing turning, why release his highlight reel and then dump him a few days later? And after the word was on the street that he had requested a release.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out as well. I would like a clear explanation from our athletic department. Very unseemly to promote the program with a guy you're about to dump.

Reactions: jimbog
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT